osi umenyora

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i know everyone is sold on mike neal replacing cullen jenkins but how feasible is it that the packers sign osi umenyora to a 1-2 year deal? he is an upgrade a rushing the passer over anything we have on the defensive line and might come at a reasonable price for the defending champs. Any light on signing any free agents at all?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NO. Not worth giving up a 2nd round pick for, which is what the Giants want.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He would be a linebacker in our system, and is too expensive. Not worth it.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, absolutely not. This is almost like suggesting we bring KGB to play OLB.

Washed up player, that NEVER played on our system, that is too costly, that is too big to play OLB and too small to play DE, and would not produce anything more than our 4th stringer.

rawalabhay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everybody hit the nail in the head there, he is too big for 3-4 OLB and too small for a DE. He is a 4-3 guy. That is why we let KGB and Kampman go!

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our roster is fine as it is. No need to change up what's already proven to work.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we got 2 2nd rnd picks tho

And?

I'll never get the fascination people have with wanting to give up high value draft picks for someone else's cast-off. Building through the draft is the only proven method for acheiving long term, sustainable success, yet some folks seem more than willing to just ignore that aspect of the game in favor of "Making a splash in free-agency."

So no, I am not willing to give up a high round draft pick for any player on any roster. Sorry, there just isn't one guy who's worth such a high price.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
And?

I'll never get the fascination people have with wanting to give up high value draft picks for someone else's cast-off. Building through the draft is the only proven method for acheiving long term, sustainable success, yet some folks seem more than willing to just ignore that aspect of the game in favor of "Making a splash in free-agency."

So no, I am not willing to give up a high round draft pick for any player on any roster. Sorry, there just isn't one guy who's worth such a high price.

I agree with you. But I might tweak it just a little. I wouldn't hope the Packers would try to make a splash in free agency. But a judicious pickup might be nice. What if someone got freed up, because of cap space, that might make a nice compliment to Matthews on the other end of the Linebacking corps?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you. But I might tweak it just a little. I wouldn't hope the Packers would try to make a splash in free agency. But a judicious pickup might be nice. What if someone got freed up, because of cap space, that might make a nice compliment to Matthews on the other end of the Linebacking corps?
The only guys worth bringing in are guys teams will never give up, like Woodley or Suggs...

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Eh, maybe, but it really depends on the player and the circumstance. I'm generally not a fan of trading for a guy though, mostly because it seldom works out. Take Marshawn Lynch for example. People were livid we didn't give up our entire draft for him, but in the end, outside of one epic run, the guy really didn't do much better than the guys we had on our roster.

Besides, usually you can find a decent replacement who will be cheaper and last a lot longer in the draft. I'd rather gamble my draft picks on those guys than give them up for a guy some other team doesn't have room for anymore.

Sometimes it seems like people wants us to make a trade or sign some big name guy in free agency simply because they're bored and want us to do something. It doesn't matter whether the move makes any sense or not, they just want to see ESPN talk about some trade or free agent signing Green Bay did. This is the wrong mindset to have if you want to have sustained success in this league.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It really depends. Who thought Nmadi Asomugha would be available right? I expected Oakland to keep him no matter the price. If it truly helps your team, why not have a pickup not that I'm for going trade a 2nd rounder for a 30 year old player.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It really depends. Who thought Nmadi Asomugha would be available right? I expected Oakland to keep him no matter the price. If it truly helps your team, why not have a pickup not that I'm for going trade a 2nd rounder for a 30 year old player.

Free agency is a little different than trading someone away. Scrabble was a free agent, so the Eagles didn't have to give up any picks for him.

I would use free agency only in the event that you need a SEVERE upgrade at a position. But once you have your free agents, you need to shift into a draft and develop mentality. This is what we did with Woodson and Pickett, and it obviously worked out well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts