[OPINION] Charles Woodson

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I was extremely excited when we signed him. I even gave him somewhat of a pass on his lackluster previous years. He did have issues with the coaching staff, but he is a professional that should not interfere with his play.

I haven't seen much of him from training camp or pre season games to maintain the excitement. It is only pre season an training camp, true.

Then I heard the following comments. Woodson said he doesnt need anyone to tell him about his play. Woodson said he knows what he did wrong. Woodson said he doesnt have to have his coaches or players tell him his mistakes because hes been in the league long enough to know them.

After hearing those comments (which are not word for word, I apologize for that, but its accurate) with his lack of urgency on the field. I have lost nearly all hope for Woodson to be our second shut down corner.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero when I read those quotes, I took it as a positive. I felt he was saying "I know I F'ed up. I know how to correct it. I'm tougher on myself than any coach or player"

I didn't hear anything directly from his mouth but I would have liked to. Reading his words and listening to them are sometimes entirely different.

I'm not saying I'm right. Again, I'd like to hear it from his mouth.

packerfanfourever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.465151+-
Maybe Woodson was playing at half speed so he would not injure himself, but does he know that he can get hurt just as easily playing at half speed or not going after tackles, I mean funny things happen on the football field, he might as well get his uniform a little diry because iam sure they wash them either way.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DePack said:
Zero when I read those quotes, I took it as a positive. I felt he was saying "I know I F'ed up. I know how to correct it. I'm tougher on myself than any coach or player"

I didn't hear anything directly from his mouth but I would have liked to. Reading his words and listening to them are sometimes entirely different.

I'm not saying I'm right. Again, I'd like to hear it from his mouth.

I know where ya coming from. Reading it off here I would agree with you. But man. Hearing him and his tone it was like he was telling people to not tell him what to do. I was a HUGE advocate of Woodson. I don't like being wrong, big surprise! But I think I was wrong about this guy from his comments/tone of them. I dunno. Jus ... damn. I didn't expect that from him.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can understand where he is coming from on that. Dude knows how to play the game and I'm like that where if I know I screwed up on something, other people calling me out on that thing isn't really going to help, I'm going to be harder on myself and challenge myself to do better. As long as he is aware that he made mistakes and knows what those mistakes are and wants to fix it then there shouldn't be a problem.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i hope what DePack said is true. hopefully by week one he will be ALOT better than monday.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
How come when Brett didn't get 'coached' ppl were upset? What makes Woodson immune? He didn't earn 3 MVPs, he doesnt have a SB ring. Yet when Brett makes a bad decision ppl complain when the coaches 'let it slide'. So why should Woodson be treated differently? Or am I seeing this in the wrong light?

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is just about as critical of a position to get quality play as QB. We have been lacking a #2 corner for years and paying for it bigtime.

I'm not going to knock Carroll. He was asked to step in as a rookie and that's a hard, hard, position to perform well at as a rookie.

Even though he started getting better towards the end of last year that position continued to allow way to many 3rd down conversions.

We have GOT to have Woodson making plays over there. Especially on third down. They are coming his way. Teams aren't going to Harris' side when they NEED that third down conversion. Percentages aren't in their favor going there.

I'd rather see him get burned deep on occasion and be tight in that third down coverage then to let the guy get inside over and over like the other night.
Everything I've ever seen and from everything I have heard is that when he's healthy he's a bear. I also think he has a lot of pride.

Let's hope he takes the approach that he WANTS that 3rd down opportunity to show everyone he is still the man. He sucked against Cincy on Monday night with everyone watching. I hope that's all the wake up call he needed.

It better be as I doubt MM would hesitate to move him back (DB) and put somebody else in there. He wouldn't have much choice if RW continued to play THAT bad.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Going from what I seen against the Bengals. I wonder if he is mentally healed from his previous injury. He seemed really lackzadazy.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there will be a huge difference between Preseason Woodson and Regular season Woodson.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Then I heard the following comments. Woodson said he doesnt need anyone to tell him about his play. Woodson said he knows what he did wrong. Woodson said he doesnt have to have his coaches or players tell him his mistakes because hes been in the league long enough to know them.

After hearing those comments (which are not word for word, I apologize for that, but its accurate) with his lack of urgency on the field. I have lost nearly all hope for Woodson to be our second shut down corner.

Same concept went for Favre when Sherman was there at least. And I think it still does go for him. I dont have a problem with him not wanting the coaches to keep on him for mistakes he knows he is making as long as he is working on fixing them. I know the coaches wont lay off at all, and i dont think they should, but i know where he is coming from.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was excited to get Charles but right from the start I thought of him almost as a rookie having to prove himself. Sure he came in the league and had a few good years but now it's been 2 years since he's really done anything so I need him to prove that he's still a quality corner. I think MM has to not give him the job based on his name but leave it open to who's playing the best. I hate to say it but as long as Carroll is playing better he should be starting. I do think though Woody will take a little while to get back to his best but I'm expecting by midseason he'll prove worth the money. I sure hope so anyway

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
I was extremely excited when we signed him. I even gave him somewhat of a pass on his lackluster previous years. He did have issues with the coaching staff, but he is a professional that should not interfere with his play.

I haven't seen much of him from training camp or pre season games to maintain the excitement. It is only pre season an training camp, true.

This freaking amazes me.

Zero, I love you my brother but let me ask you this question. Did you hear these comments in person or did you READ them and or see a cut from an editor of a news channel?

I know you were not there in person, so your comments on what was said, how it was said, and what the whole message was is a judgement based on NOTHING substantial or what was fed to you by the press, who want to sell their story.

One can read what you typed here as two ways.

1.) he is full of himself, a vet who is like T.O. and is not coachable.

2.) A man who is taking ownership of his own poor play and saying that I blew it, I know it and it will not happen again.

I have watched this man since he was drafted. He is accountable.

This thread is *****ing bait for the negative, thumb sucking, uniformed, nay sayers, who ******** at the thought of the sky falling in on what most coaches and professional NFL scouts have called one of the Packers best off season pick-ups.

But then again... We have to remember this is a Football Forum.

Forum... as a group of people on line who have no chance of getting a job
as a office clerk in an NFL organization but who feel the need to tell someone who is far superior to us how to do what they do.

I am not picking on any one person here or you Zero.

Talk to me in PM about Woodson after week three. I would love to read your praise in PM and you will not have to eat crow in the public forum for all to see.

R.P.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
RP. I heard them on the radio. Then I seen the interview.

Sorry if my opinion upsets you. I hope I'm wrong. I really do.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agopackgo4 said:
Zero2Cool said:

Same concept went for Favre when Sherman was there at least. And I think it still does go for him. I dont have a problem with him not wanting the coaches to keep on him for mistakes he knows he is making as long as he is working on fixing them. I know the coaches wont lay off at all, and i dont think they should, but i know where he is coming from.

Funny thing is is that Favre mentioned that yesterday in his press conference. He said something like "now people are saying I'm starting to get more coaching. The thing is I've always been coached my whole career, but the so-called experts say that now I'm getting coached. There is really no difference....." words to that effect.

It amazes me how people think they know what is going on but really don't. I'm not talking about you agopack or anyone on this board. I'm talking about reporters that feed us this stuff as if they have inside info.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
That's interesting. I wanna listen to his press conference now. Dammit. I wanna go home. Work sucks!!

Zero, you should listen to it. Brett says more in that 26? minute press conference than he has said in a year. When the one reporter says "do you ever think that these young guys might not gel this year"? Brett's reaction is very interesting. He gets half pissed and basically says yea but he still hopes he'll be part of this team when they do gel. It sounds to me if the team shows promise he would seriously think about sticking around longer.

I may be reading into it but I found this press conference interesting compared to the others.

~TheJoker~

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy had one bad game.

The worst I've ever seen him play.

That is allowed, considering he is not Jesus.

It was:
A PREseason game
With another PREseason game in 4 days
Palmer's comeback game
In Cincinatti
With crowd going *******
Wood and Harris were caught up in CJ
Not Housh

Had he gotten hurt, then what would this forum be like?

Trust me fellas...listen to Raider Pride. He's watched Wood since he came in the league, and I've watched him since he first stepped foot in Ann Arbor. He's allowed a bad game, especially in preseason. I know there is nothing else to talk about until the regular season starts, and I know everyone is entitled to their opinion.

That being said, since I know him, let me tell you exactly what happened.

He was half-assing it BECUZ it was preseason (LT never even plays preseason, TO hasn't played yet, etc. Not to mention last year he was coming into camp at about this time and still managed to start Week 1 and dominate)
He was pulling up on gang tackling so as not to get hurt
He was trying to strip the ball instead of wrap up and tackle
He chased his men half speed becuz to him...note, TO HIM...these points don't matter (and in reality, they don't)

I know it was hard to watch, even for me, but after I thought about it, it all makes sense. I'm not trying to make excuses for him, I just know after all these years who he is and what he does. He WILL show up against Chicago, and just for sh*ts and giggles, if he doesn't force a fumble or intercept a pass, Pyledriver gets a free 20 bucks from yours truly.

Believe me or not, no bigs.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I for sure understand its pre seaon. Everyone is entitled to a bad game. It was his tone coupled with his comments that drew the most concern for me. His play, that was terrible. He wasn't even trying. If that was trying, I'd rather Ahmad out there. Atleast he does something.

I've been reading up and watching film of Woodson and I have some faith restored. I jus dunno. His comments and tone really put a scare in me. Who knows, maybe he just had a bad day and hell I didn't even hear the question in which he gave those comments. That one specific one that is.

Maybe someone said to him "did harris give you pointers on how to cover TJ?" ... I mean **** if someone said that to me. I'd probably reply bitter too even though it was totally uncalled for.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carroll at least tackles.

He tackles them before they catch the ball, but still.

Im not worried about Woodson(yet).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts