"One-Two Punch" Backfield

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With a healthy Ahman Green and a young Vernand Morency with one Packers start under his belt, Head Coach Mike McCarthy is hoping his team will have a strong "one-two punch" in the backfield the rest of the season.

McCarthy said Wednesday he expects Green's hamstring to be healed enough to allow him to play this weekend, noting he believes Green's hamstring troubles are a residual effect of coming off the severe quadriceps injury from last season.

But the first hamstring Green hurt two weeks ago appears to be all better now, and the second hamstring tweak continues to improve as well.

"Frankly I was surprised he didn't play Monday night," McCarthy said. "I'll be surprised if he doesn't go this week."

Even with Green's return, McCarthy still expects to use Morency on a regular basis after he battled for a tough 99 rushing yards against Philadelphia. He had a critical fumble, just like Green did in each of the previous two games, but McCarthy liked the burst and decisiveness he saw throughout the game.

"The turnover is the black eye in his performance, but he put his foot down and ran and made good decisions," McCarthy said. "He bounced the ball a couple of times when the opportunity presented itself. But you can see him, he wasn't totally comfortable in some spots, but I thought he ran tough, I thought he played hard. He stuck his nose in there in pass protection, so we'll continue to roll him in there."

Since the season opener, the number of total touches (rushes and receptions) for the feature back has steadily increased. Against New Orleans, Green had 22 touches, follwed by 30 against Detroit. This past Monday in Philadelphia, Morency had 32.

If that level of workload keeps up, the Packers expect to need two regular backs to share at least some of those opportunities.

Favre a little stiff and sore
Brett Favre still doesn't know exactly what happened on his last play against Philadelphia when he was hit in the head, but he doesn't expect it to keep him from playing this week.

"I'll be fine," Favre said.

He explained that he may have sustained a slight concussion, but the more lingering issue is an apparent pinched nerve in his neck that makes it painful for him to turn his head to the right.

"The only thing I remember was my right arm and neck were tingling and kind of going numb," Favre said. "A pinched nerve or whatever. My head was ringing pretty good too. It felt like I got smushed between two helmets."

Favre made some light throws during the opening jog-through portion of practice on Wednesday, but McCarthy said he sat out the rest of the workout. Favre said there's nothing he can really do for it treatment-wise, but he hopes it just gets better on its own.
"It feels fine for the most part when you're walking around," he said. "But turn a certain way or put your arm or shoulder in different position, you can feel it."

Still rotating
For now, McCarthy plans to continue rotating rookies Tony Moll and Jason Spitz at right guard so that both continue to develop, along with fellow rookie Daryn Colledge at left guard.

Moll and Spitz shared time at right guard against the Eagles, the first playing time for Spitz since sustaining a bruised thigh in the season opener. McCarthy feels that all three guards are improving by getting playing time, and he wants to continue to see that growth.

"I need to be in touch with the development of all three players," he said. "That group is improving. I'm pleased with the growth of the offensive line. If there's a position on our football team that's improving week to week, it's definitely the offensive line."

Difficult injury
Kenderick Allen's foot injury suffered against Detroit two weeks ago turned out to be worse than originally thought, landing the big defensive tackle on injured reserve and ending his season.

McCarthy didn't know precisely the extent of the injury, but said a test showed a "separation" of some kind within the foot that could require surgery.

Allen had provided good depth in the middle of the defensive line and his absence will leave the Packers one short in the defensive tackle rotation. Rookie Johnny Jolly has been inactive in all four games thus far but could potentially be called upon as the season moves forward.

"He was in a very competitive situation there with the interior, but I think he was progressing," McCarthy said of Allen. "I had an opportunity to be around him his rookie year in New Orleans, and I think he's in much better physical shape now, a lot more mature. I was happy with his participation to this point."

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of injuries, Chris Havel was talking on the radio tonight about how banged up Driver is.

If DD can't go on Sunday my main man Jennings is the numero uno wideout.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
Speaking of injuries, Chris Havel was talking on the radio tonight about how banged up Driver is.

I just think Jennings may be ready. Or I hope so at least.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:

and who's #2

considering i rarely saw a #3 this monday

Reaction score
HatestheEagles084 said:
Yared-Yam said:

and who's #2

considering i rarely saw a #3 this monday

K-Rob.

Apparently Ferggy has a broken leg... :-?

Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
I'd rather have Green carry the load

Perhaps this could be the start of an Atlanta type attack, where we have Green be the dominant back and the hard running TJ Ducket type back, with Morency being the quick cut and good burst Warrik Dunn type back.

He (Morency) did show a lot better pass protection ability and interest than ****** did. Not really sure where Herron fits in at RB, he should be the odd man out IMO.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are we running out of recievers?? I heard this all on the NFL channel last night and all I could do is be scared for our team, especially when they said Fergy is out and DD might not be able to play,,I thought "who is left"?? The only good news on this is: Robinson can now come in and show us what he has, and I hope hes good...

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like the way Morency ran. Hits the hole hard, great burst and change of direction, picked up blocks pretty well. Plus, he finishes runs with the pads low and dishing it out. I think he will be a real nice complement to Ahman. If AG stays healthy, it looks like a real nice combo.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
GakkofNorway said:
I'd rather have Green carry the load

Perhaps this could be the start of an Atlanta type attack, where we have Green be the dominant back and the hard running TJ Ducket type back, with Morency being the quick cut and good burst Warrik Dunn type back.

He (Morency) did show a lot better pass protection ability and interest than ****** did. Not really sure where Herron fits in at RB, he should be the odd man out IMO.

Herron's got good hands. He'll be our third-down back, the role that Tony Fisher filled last year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Green and Morency both in the backfield together. Both TT and MM have said that they're moving away from the strictly-blocking fullback thing and want two guys in the backfield who can tote the rock on any given play. Since Green and Morency both seem pretty good at picking up blitzes, that kind of strategy would make much better sense than keeping a TE back there all the time.

As for receivers, I have a feeling that we'll be fine with Jennings and KRob - at least in the short term. Ruvell Martin will be an adequate #3 - he could hardly be less productive than Fergy. Picking up another body would make sense though. Detroit cut Corey Bradford... he could fill in as #3/4 until Driver comes back, at least. Tyrone Calico's looking for a job, too...

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 1 - 2 punch is a great idea however, IMO, Green will struggle the rest of the season. Injuries to Green continue and I don't see him getting healthy.

I think it's the begining of the end for him.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He did have 120 total yards in the win vs. the Lions so he's still an important factor.

I agree though he's on decline and will never return to the form he once was. He's at the age where RB's just begin to falter.

I think Green Bay will be in the market for a RB next off-season.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
He did have 120 total yards in the win vs. the Lions so he's still an important factor.

I agree though he's on decline and will never return to the form he once was. He's at the age where RB's just begin to falter.

I think Green Bay will be in the market for a RB next off-season.

True,

Green had a very good first game. A couple of injuries and getting pounded each week will wear on him. It adds up in less production as the season goes on.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rundemc said:
green and morency is more like a 1-2 limp wristed slap than a punch

That is probally one of the funniest things ive read in awhile on here.

BUT

i think that green and morency will be great together, and i thought morency looked quick and decisive. and i think he is well suited for this scheme. could be the back of the future. that trade is looking great now huh. what do you have to do in practice to get the fumbles nixed for god sakes.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't heard anybody saying anything about this but it looked to me like that should have been a penalty on the play Brett got hurt.

The guy definately came in high to the head and was still up around there when Brett's helmet smacked against the guy on the other side.

Brett normally get's up and looks to the refs on a play like that but he was obviously a little out of it after that play.

Your not supposed to be anywhere near the QB's helmet like that.

Members online

Latest posts