One question I would have asked

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett: "There's a REASON I made the decision when I did. I felt pressured. They wanted an answer so I gave them the best one I had at the time."

Greta: "Brett, if you felt you weren't ready to make a decision and would have liked everyone to back off more and give you the space you needed WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST TELL THEM THAT?"

"Look guys, I'm trying to figure it out, calling every week or two isn't helping."

What is Ted and Mike going to do? Back off thats what they do. They have a job to do and they might very well have not known. It could, in their minds, been very similar to past years in how often they were in contact. You can't know what someone is necessarily feeling unless they TELL YOU.

I wish Greta would have pinned him down and asked him why he didn't just come out and tell them how he was feeling at that time and to back off some rather than force the biggest decision of his life.

Seems a little convenient now that he says he was more or less pushed into it when that would not have had to happen by any means. No way Ted or Mike would risk it getting out later that they did, in fact, keep pushing after he asked them not to. That would be the last corner they would put themselves in.

Pretty simple really. You don't get most things in life you want unless you ask for it.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett: "There's a REASON I made the decision when I did. I felt pressured. They wanted an answer so I gave them the best one I had at the time."

Greta: "Brett, if you felt you weren't ready to make a decision and would have liked everyone to back off more and give you the space you needed WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST TELL THEM THAT?"

"Look guys, I'm trying to figure it out, calling every week or two isn't helping."

What is Ted and Mike going to do? Back off thats what they do. They have a job to do and they might very well have not known. It could, in their minds, been very similar to past years in how often they were in contact. You can't know what someone is necessarily feeling unless they TELL YOU.

I wish Greta would have pinned him down and asked him why he didn't just come out and tell them how he was feeling at that time and to back off some rather than force the biggest decision of his life.

Seems a little convenient now that he says he was more or less pushed into it when that would not have had to happen by any means. No way Ted or Mike would risk it getting out later that they did, in fact, keep pushing after he asked them not to. That would be the last corner they would put themselves in.

Pretty simple really. You don't get most things in life you want unless you ask for it.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett seeking out Greta is akin to Barack seeking out the New York Times/L.A. Times for an interview....a sham designed to support their own positions by omitting critical review of their policies/record/actions.

That was softball of Chicago 16" variety. (For those unaware, 16" softball is a Chicago specialty that requires no gloves to play as the ball is quite large and spongy.)

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My take is that calling every couple weeks, while understandable from MM point of view, is not the routine he had seen previously. Could easily be taken as "We really need/want a decision even though we aren't giving a deadline" and could easily be viewed as "pressuring."

That aside Greta could probably have thrown a few more hardballs. She let him be wishy washy on a lot of answers too.

To me this all comes down to what will happen on July 27th. It doesn't really matter what comes before that (not that it appears much is likely).

Either:
1) Favre shows up for camp and a)he was told he'd have the starting job b)he's ready to "compete" for it or c)he has accepted whatever role the team has for him

or

2)Come 7/27 he is trolling the yard on his tractor

I don't really see the Packers realeasing him and if they did I really don't believe he'll move on from Green Bay. Whether by choice or circumstance. Granted he would be a prime catch for any number of teams - but for how long?

There aren't a lot of teams with 0 QBs in development that are going to drop it all just for a marquee name - Favre or otherwise. Similarly, despite the sour taste he may have right now I don't know that in his heart he could suit up in a different uniform.

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When it comes down to it, this interview has to be viewed as a blown opportunity for Favre. Instead of coming out and giving precise answers, it largely turned into the ranting of a former player who looks bitter, selfish and stubborn.

Favre should have picked a better interviewer for this. He would have been better off.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My take is that calling every couple weeks, while understandable from MM point of view, is not the routine he had seen previously. Could easily be taken as "We really need/want a decision even though we aren't giving a deadline" and could easily be viewed as "pressuring."

That aside Greta could probably have thrown a few more hardballs. She let him be wishy washy on a lot of answers too.

To me this all comes down to what will happen on July 27th. It doesn't really matter what comes before that (not that it appears much is likely).

Either:
1) Favre shows up for camp and a)he was told he'd have the starting job b)he's ready to "compete" for it or c)he has accepted whatever role the team has for him

or

2)Come 7/27 he is trolling the yard on his tractor

I don't really see the Packers realeasing him and if they did I really don't believe he'll move on from Green Bay. Whether by choice or circumstance. Granted he would be a prime catch for any number of teams - but for how long?

There aren't a lot of teams with 0 QBs in development that are going to drop it all just for a marquee name - Favre or otherwise. Similarly, despite the sour taste he may have right now I don't know that in his heart he could suit up in a different uniform.

I'm just saying this whole mess started down hill when Brett announced and if he now regrets there's nobody to blame but himself. I, for one, cannot buy the "the devil made me do it" theme. Brett's not dumb. He knew he could have had those guys back off.
It's not just in the last week or two Brett has figured out he wields some power and how to manipulate the media. He knows if he needed to he could have used it back then just like he is now.

It's time to take ownership for your decisions instead of pawning off every move as though you had no other choice. He had choices.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont see whats so wrong about pressuring him into a decision anyway.

time stops for no man. Why should the Packers wait and wait and wait and wait for Brett Favre's choice of the week, when every second that goes by another decision that revolves around his choice. slips by the front office.

asking a team to have a contingency plan based on your day to day feelings is ridiculous and i dont care who you are. Man up, make a decision like every other football player in the world and stick to it. The bottom line is... that the hero worship around Green Bay has gone just about far enough. Boo Hoo you have a lot of factors on the decision... as if you're the only football player to have kids and a wife.

I don't think Brett sees it. because the player i thought i knew would never allow himself to be bigger than the team. no matter what.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing is - he is under contract, he has said he knows he is under contract. Why wouldn't he show up the next season?

I truly believe that for most of the past 3-4 yrs the "Favre watch" was a fan and media concoction. No, Favre hasn't help by crying after the 2006 season but other than that I really really think his intention after each season was to come back and play the next one until his arm fell off.

I know there will be responses to the contrary with anecdotal clips and quips attempting to prove otherwise. As far as his actions in the last 3-4 years I have never seen anything that led me to think his intentions were other than playing on. Do I believe he was conflicted - of course. Do I believe he was uncertain in any of those off-seasons, as he said, that he could give 100% sure. Did he ever come back and not give 100%? I don't believe so.

I will admit though that the "shucks darn, what's all the fuss?" routine grew a bit old as he certainly knew what and why everyone wanted to know. I think that may have been the ultimate straw in this whole thing. He wanted to go home after the season and as in past seasons get some R&R and then start preparing for a new season. Despite the fans and the media, Packer management has pretty much allowed that. This year it was different. They wanted, and pretty much (it sounds like) demanded a decision. He gave them what his decision was at the time - probably what it would have been anytime since 2003 at that point following the season.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
The thing is - he is under contract, he has said he knows he is under contract. Why wouldn't he show up the next season?

+1...

Show up, strap up the laces and take your job back on the field... no yeah but I don't feel wanted.. screw them.. come back and make them out to be the fools if you really want to play ball.. underneath it all.. the fans will still cheer and support you after the first rocket is zipped into Jennings for a TD.. quit crying to the press.. come play ball already.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackinSteel said:

+1...

Show up, strap up the laces and take your job back on the field... no yeah but I don't feel wanted.. screw them.. come back and make them out to be the fools if you really want to play ball.. underneath it all.. the fans will still cheer and support you after the first rocket is zipped into Jennings for a TD.. quit crying to the press.. come play ball already.

well said.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett "Walker" Favre. He should shut up and either retire or come in to camp and earn the damn starting job by how he plays.

Brooks87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont see whats so wrong about pressuring him into a decision anyway.

time stops for no man. Why should the Packers wait and wait and wait and wait for Brett Favre's choice of the week, when every second that goes by another decision that revolves around his choice. slips by the front office.

asking a team to have a contingency plan based on your day to day feelings is ridiculous and i dont care who you are. Man up, make a decision like every other football player in the world and stick to it. The bottom line is... that the hero worship around Green Bay has gone just about far enough. Boo Hoo you have a lot of factors on the decision... as if you're the only football player to have kids and a wife.

I don't think Brett sees it. because the player i thought i knew would never allow himself to be bigger than the team. no matter what.

Amen..Brett has been pulling this will i or wont i retire crap for the past 3 years or so.Time to move on with aaron now and see what he can do.I personally have alot of faith in aaron to get the job done.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts