One Big Draft Prediction

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jarrett is nothing more than a great collgiate receiver whose lack of speed will limit him to a possession receiver in the NFL....where the players are faster and stronger than anything he has faced. Face it, his success at USC was part his own, but also much about the immense talent he was surrounded by. Boys amongst men would be a good analogy.

I too will break my TV if we take this guy at 16. He is late 1st early 2nd with those times.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jarrett is nothing more than a great collgiate receiver whose lack of speed will limit him to a possession receiver in the NFL....where the players are faster and stronger than anything he has faced. Face it, his success at USC was part his own, but also much about the immense talent he was surrounded by. Boys amongst men would be a good analogy.

I too will break my TV if we take this guy at 16. He is late 1st early 2nd with those times.

What he said. :chug:

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
TT will select Dwayne Jarrett with the 16th pick.

and Porky will sob over the fact that they wasted the 16th pick in the Draft on someone who is slower than him. :rotflmao:

I think it's Olsen or Lynch. If both are there it'll make for a really interesting 15 minutes.

I will say that the Packers will pick at 16. They won’t move down or up.
I am not a Jarrett guy at all and have seen him move to the 4th or 5th slot on the WR list. We have had enough trouble getting guys open that can run let alone drafting a guy 88 can whip.

There has been some thought to the idea that if Lynch does make it to us we could afford to drop a few spots and still get him based on what the next few teams have at RB. Just something I read.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he runs this slow now, just imagine his "speed" in a couple years as he ages and begins to lose some, and after the bruising of a whole pro season. Bowe or Meacham...period, if we go WR in the 1st. And, we could probably trade down 4 - 6 spots to land Bowe and get extra pick(s).

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he runs this slow now, just imagine his "speed" in a couple years as he ages and begins to lose some, and after the bruising of a whole pro season. Bowe or Meacham...period, if we go WR in the 1st. And, we could probably trade down 4 - 6 spots to land Bowe and get extra pick(s).

And if they think one of these guys could be there 5-6 picks later this could very well happen. Is that your prediction?

Question. What pick would they gain dropping 5 spots? a 3rd? I'm not good at the draft value trade off aspect of this thing.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they go WR, I believe they will have to stay put for Meacham, but could probably drop a few spots and land Bowe.

The knock on Meacham is that he is timid over the middle...something that cannot be tolerated in a WCO....especially the way we use our WRs!

The knock on Bowe is that he dropped too many balls. That was true his junior year. I met a former teammate of his at Phoenix Intl Airport and he told me that Bowe had corrective surgery to his eyes and his stats improved his Sr. year with regard to dropped passes. Plus, he has deceptive speed (4.5 - 4.55) and is fearless over the middle.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I also don't see him as the "fighter for the ball" type that some of these others are and he looks more string beanish. With the speed of the DB's in the NFL he HAS to be the type that wins physical battles.

I read where he positions himself well and uses his body well. I just wonder if that's enough against savy DB's at the next level.

Reaction score
all about da packers said:
TT will select Dwayne Jarrett with the 16th pick.

and Porky will sob over the fact that they wasted the 16th pick in the Draft on someone who is slower than him. :rotflmao:

I think it's Olsen or Lynch. If both are there it'll make for a really interesting 15 minutes.

I will say that the Packers will pick at 16. They won’t move down or up.

:lol:

Hey you have to admit, it was probably the most out there guess so far...

Reaction score
The one thing that WCO receivers MUST do is the one thing that Ginn doesn't....run precise routes. I do not like that pick. He is dynamic as a returner, but there are several players in this draft that can be had later to provide that skill set, and groom as a WR. You do not take a flyer with your #1 on a WR who does not do well that which is necessary to perform in our offense.

I agree, but I also read that McCarthy places an importance on being able to do something after the catch, and in this regard Ginn can excel.

I thought it was a good point, I mean we may have to think of creative ways to get Ginn the ball, but when he has it he'll certainly be a huge threat.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was really against Ginn but the more I think about it the more I wouldn't mind him being the pick and that's IF the Packers have no interest or just won't be able to land Randy Moss.

Ginn is raw and I think he has a major "bust factor" but his upside is huge. If his upside can be reached he's the type of pick that can put the franchise on the road to a Super Bowl.

I can’t say I want Ginn but I can’t say I don’t want him. I’m intrigued by him because of his upside and the Packers having an offensive minded coach.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My only thing is I am not sure Ginn's style would help more throughout a game than a big, physical receiver.

Ginn can come out there and pose a deep threat and open things up for DD and JJ but that would only account for a limited number of plays a game.

If it came down to a speed guy I would take the other kid from Ohio ST. in the 2nd round before Ginn in the first.

I think Ginn would drink vodka for a month if he got as low as 16. Very few have him that low.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:thumbsup: What? No mention of TE Greg Olsen? He can also LS and if you're TT and believe the Pack will inprove their position in the coming season and thinking GB won't be drafting this high in the coming drafts, wouldn't it make sense to take a highly motivated player such as Olsen?

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:twocents: Reviewed the draft prospect list and TE Olsen has a 40 of 4.51 which is as fast as the WR next on the list, a Dwayne Bowe. Olsen is also the top ranked TE in the draft. Olsen can also LS., so if Lynch and Meachem are gone TT would probably like TE Olsen. But, I think Olsen will be gone before the Pack pick which may mean that Meachem would still be available. I certainly hope Reggie Nelson isn't on the Pack list. The next likely candidate I see is CB Aaron Ross of Texas.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oakland takes Russell and Detroit takes Johnson, Millen doesn't care what people think and imagine him deep on one side, Williams deep on the other and Furrey over middle.
We take Lynch at 16 unless Buffalo does but I think they take the LB from Mississippi. If Lynch is gone we take Meachem and pick up TE in third round RB in second.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oakland takes Russell and Detroit takes Johnson, Millen doesn't care what people think and imagine him deep on one side, Williams deep on the other and Furrey over middle.
We take Lynch at 16 unless Buffalo does but I think they take the LB from Mississippi. If Lynch is gone we take Meachem and pick up TE in third round RB in second.

Solid prediction. Safe, but solid. I went out a little further on the Raiders taking Johnson pick.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My original prediction of Calvin Johnson going to Oakland vs. Russell is looking better and better.

The rumor mill has Oakland looking J. McCowan and they are also a strong candidate for Culpepper when Green finally becomes a fin.

Strong rumors this a.m. about CJ to the Raiders.

So I will now add my second prediction.

With the 47th pick of the 2nd round the Green Bay Packers TRADE with Oakland for Randy Moss. (Maybe a player goes with).

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Davis goes for Johnson, if for no other reason, to get his fans back to the seats. Everyone will expect Johnson to do big things. As far as the Packers go, I'm againest both Olsen and Lynch at #16. Not enough bang for the buck. I'm expecting the best CB/S available at that spot. Maybe a guy that can play either. TT might also go for Willis, the LB. Hodge is too questionable and Barnett wants the Big money which TT would like to avoid, if possible. Barnett is also tradeable, IMO. Hawk would improve the MLB position at least in hitting power. At any rate, this draft could get exciting even if that isn't TT's personality.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Davis goes for Johnson, if for no other reason, to get his fans back to the seats. Everyone will expect Johnson to do big things. As far as the Packers go, I'm againest both Olsen and Lynch at #16. Not enough bang for the buck. I'm expecting the best CB/S available at that spot. Maybe a guy that can play either. TT might also go for Willis, the LB. Hodge is too questionable and Barnett wants the Big money which TT would like to avoid, if possible. Barnett is also tradeable, IMO. Hawk would improve the MLB position at least in hitting power. At any rate, this draft could get exciting even if that isn't TT's personality.

Some are saying Leon Hall who is rated the #1 CB this year. I go along with you on CB vs. RB. I would take the #1 CB before the #2 RB since RB's are easier to come by anyways. Hall has the speed and ability to help out now and can take over a CB position in a year or two.

My thought is a guy like Antonio Pittman who we could get later on would produce a hair under Lynch which is why jumping in for him at #16 is not worth it.
I don't like the word "dance" and it's been used to describe a tendency Lynch shows. That bothers me.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The dilema, if that's the right word, for the Pack at WR as I see it is they need BOTH a burner but also at least one big, physical WR as well.

Both Driver and Jennings are great but neither have the god fearing speed to stretch the field nor are any of the others that 6-4 guy with hands like baseball gloves who can go and get it.

If we get Ginn we get the burner we need some of the time but we don't get the big bodied Meacham or Bowe types that we need the other times.

That's the problem I see. Maybe DD and JJ are just too alike.

With all due respect, I'm not sure why people talk about Driver not having "god fearing" speed...

I'll start by saying I'm not sure what he runs in the 40 or anything else; however, he always seems to have enough burst to take a slant 65 yards for a TD or run a reverse and get the edge when it appears that defenders have the angle, etc. "God Fearing" speed? OK, maybe not. "Football Speed"...definitely.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
The dilema, if that's the right word, for the Pack at WR as I see it is they need BOTH a burner but also at least one big, physical WR as well.

Both Driver and Jennings are great but neither have the god fearing speed to stretch the field nor are any of the others that 6-4 guy with hands like baseball gloves who can go and get it.

If we get Ginn we get the burner we need some of the time but we don't get the big bodied Meacham or Bowe types that we need the other times.

That's the problem I see. Maybe DD and JJ are just too alike.

With all due respect, I'm not sure why people talk about Driver not having "god fearing" speed...

I'll start by saying I'm not sure what he runs in the 40 or anything else; however, he always seems to have enough burst to take a slant 65 yards for a TD or run a reverse and get the edge when it appears that defenders have the angle, etc. "God Fearing" speed? OK, maybe not. "Football Speed"...definitely.

Not the guy they need to stretch the field. Hell of a ball player and can catch it and go. The "stretch the field guy" is the one that will set DD up for what he does do best.

This is no cut on Driver. The player I am talking about is generally NOT your #1 WR but does have world class speed.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't mind Jarrett. I would take him over Ginn for sure and do not like Lynch here. I would rather Ted address a more immediate position however.

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will move down to #25 if not Lynch is available, the Jets will move up to #16 and get Meachem, the Packers down to #25 and pick Darrell Revis while acquiring the Jets #59 in the 2nd round.

Members online

Latest posts