official week 1 Packers vs 9ers thread

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
38-17 Packers. Rogers completes passes to 11 different receivers, passes for 330 yds and 4 TDs. Defense looks like the 2010 playoff edition. Life is good.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Three years ago, Niners with Crabtree and Alex Smith played at the Packers.
We lost Aaron Kampman & Al Harris forever to torn ACL's, both no contact on the plays, and both on the same drive and within a few minutes of each other. Helped to turn a blowout 1st half into a tight game at the end.

In 1996, also at Lambeau vs the 49ers, we lost Robert Brooks to a torn ACL, again no contact, and he was never the same and he missed the Super Bowl victory.

I hate the Niners.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the difference is that the Packers know what they will get from the 49'rs but I doubt they know all of what they will see from us. The Niner's will run the ball and play good D.
On the other side I think McCarthy has some new stuff on offense that he will be bringing out that will obviously be most effective in these early games where the opponent can't know yet what it will be. I saw a very vanilla offense that showed really nothing in pre-season but McCarthy has some new installs. Count on it. He's not sitting back with just last years offense that every D coordinater has had a chance to plan for. He can afford new wrinkles because he has the talent over there to pull it off.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Three years ago, Niners with Crabtree and Alex Smith played at the Packers.
We lost Aaron Kampman & Al Harris forever to torn ACL's, both no contact on the plays, and both on the same drive and within a few minutes of each other. Helped to turn a blowout 1st half into a tight game at the end.

In 1996, also at Lambeau vs the 49ers, we lost Robert Brooks to a torn ACL, again no contact, and he was never the same and he missed the Super Bowl victory.

I hate the Niners.
Wow. Not a good history, but it's unlikely for lightning to strike 3 times in the same place. I'll be watching McCarthy's backslap after the game to make sure he doesn't hurt Harbaugh's feelings.

H

HardRightEdge

Looks like good weather leading up to the game and on Sun.

I'll say 20-20. Whoever wins the overtime flip wins the game.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is tough 9er's have a good D,but our o-line has more talent I know others will say they have Randy Moss Crabtree,Gore all that is very true but we have one key piece they don't have a Q.B. Smith is not that guy our d-line will have it's hicups but I say pack will win of course I say they will win all the time.:)

H

HardRightEdge

This is tough 9er's have a good D,but our o-line has more talent I know others will say they have Randy Moss Crabtree,Gore all that is very true but we have one key piece they don't have a Q.B. Smith is not that guy our d-line will have it's hicups but I say pack will win of course I say they will win all the time.:)

I wouldn't expect much out of Moss (unless he's going man-to-man against Bush). :(

He's 35 years old, two seasons removed from meaningful productivity, one season removed from seeing the playing field.

Looking past the Packer game, he's a chronic pain in the a**, with an exagerated sense of self-importance. The more likely scenario is something will get his nose out of joint that will **** off Harbaugh, who strikes me as having little patience for me-me knuckleheads.

Is it possible he has a successful swan song? Sure. Are the odds against it? Heavily, I'd say.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are starting a WR that is 35 and didnt play last season and had 28 receptions in 2010? Yeah sorry, not impressed.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh and the mighty frank gore? please, he has the same career rushing avg as Ryan Grant.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our 1st 4 games are all against NFC teams who are picked to make the playoffs by most people.
:speechless:

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I went to the last GB vs 49ers game, and I am thinking we are going to win it. Maybe Driver will do something amazing again.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look for Frisco to run hard early then go play fake and go long with Crabtree, Manningham, and Moss. It will put Woodson and Burnett to the test. Got to find a way to get to Smith or at least disrupt his rhyhm. Akers will have a big day.... Our offensive line will be on its heels.

9ers 26 Packers 20

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im going to go with the status quo and pick a packers win, Mason Crosby FG as time expires to win 27-24

I think this game is really rreally going to boil down to ball security. In the preseason ( i know preseason means nothing blah blah blah) the packers had some very sloppy moments especially with the starters. If Cedric Benson can keep the ball high and tight and Rodgers continues to not make the big mistake I think the 49ers will have all they can handle of GB by the time the game is over.

On the flip side of that, we all know the 49ers are going to run the ball. The biggest test for the D IMO is defending the play action. If we cant stop the run in base and have to load the box I can see someone blowing by Bush or Hayward for a big score early.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tough game to start the season. This game boils down to the pack's D. If VD runs all over our LB corps the green and gold are in big trouble. If not, than it could be the intangibles that decide it. So - improved pack D: Packers 28 SF 20, '11 D: SF 31 Packers 24.

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since I started following the Packers back in 1995, the Packers have beaten the 49ers every single time. Every single time, that is, except once. So to give you some anger and hatred to feel toward the 49ers, how's this:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Despite the fact that the Packers have won all but one meeting with the 49ers, this truly was the NFL's best rivalry from 1995-2001. 5 playoff meetings in those years, as well as a bunch of regular-season matches. I thought the rivalry would be brought back last year in the NFC Championship Game, but we all know what happened before that.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Tough, tough game. Hard for me to make a call on this one. Vernon davis, Mario manningham, Moss, Crabtree.....covering all those guys is tough. Frank gore will open up play action very well.

One of two ways: 1 - just like last years season opener vs the saints, it could be an air battle shootout and have a high score. 38-35 pack.

2- a defensive battle. If that is the case, I think that the 9ers have a good edge on us. That guy, Smith, that they have will keep Arod flushed from the pocket. 14-13 9ers on a defensive battle. Sorry.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since I started following the Packers back in 1995, the Packers have beaten the 49ers every single time. Every single time, that is, except once. So to give you some anger and hatred to feel toward the 49ers, how's this:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Despite the fact that the Packers have won all but one meeting with the 49ers, this truly was the NFL's best rivalry from 1995-2001. 5 playoff meetings in those years, as well as a bunch of regular-season matches. I thought the rivalry would be brought back last year in the NFC Championship Game, but we all know what happened before that.
Yeah, and if instant replay had been available in 1999 the fumble by Rice just before Owen's catch would have ended the game with a Packer victory. Stuff happens.

Members online

Latest posts