Official Training Camp Reports Thread 2

Reaction score
The snippet about Crosby having the edge in the kicking competition seems a bit flawed, no?

Just because Crosby has made more kicks, it doesn't mean he's ahead of Rayner.

Cundiff converted more kicks than Rayner last year, but still lost the battle.

I still think Rayner has the edge because of his experience and generally solid performance of last year. You have a good idea of what you're getting with him, as Crosby is still a bit of an unknown in NFL game-time action...

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
The snippet about Crosby having the edge in the kicking competition seems a bit flawed, no?

Just because Crosby has made more kicks, it doesn't mean he's ahead of Rayner.

Cundiff converted more kicks than Rayner last year, but still lost the battle.

I still think Rayner has the edge because of his experience and generally solid performance of last year. You have a good idea of what you're getting with him, as Crosby is still a bit of an unknown in NFL game-time action...

These people are making stupid assumptions lately. Crosby is winning, Manuel will be the starting SS,etc.

I can't wait for opening day and the speculation ends.

Reaction score
I'm just worried about getting through pre-season without any more major injuries.

I don't know why, I'm extremely worried that there is a big injury waiting to happen in one of our pre-season games. :(

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Todays Training Camp Information

They'll practice twice on Thursday, in shells at 8:45 a.m. and in pads at 6:30 p.m. at Clarke Hinkle Field.

Friday's practice will be closed to the public.

On Saturday, the Packers open the preseason against the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh. Kickoff is at 6:30 p.m. The game will be televised on the Packers' state TV network, with Kevin Harlan and Rich Gannon on the call.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THURSDAY MORNING SESSION

Woodson leaves with sore hamstring

Cornerback Charles Woodson dropped out of this morning's practice with what appeared to be a left hamstring injury. He had an ice pack on the leg and watched while fellow defensive backs went through drills.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crosby edges Rayner in field-goal drill

Dave Rayner missed a pair of kicks during a field-goal drill. He was wide right from 47 yards and wide left from 48 yards. Rookie Mason Crosby went 1-for-2, missing wide left from 47 yards and making his 48-yarder.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9 players sit out morning practice

The Packers took the practice field in shorts this morning, forgoing even their light shells. Sitting out this morning's practice: Defensive end Aaron Kampman, tight end Bubba Franks, running backs Vernand Morency and DeShawn Wynn, fullback Brandon Miree, linebacker Abdul Hodge, tackle Chad Clifton, wide receiver Greg Jennings and safety Marviel Underwood. Wynn's absence leaves the Packers with just two healthy running backs -- Brandon Jackson and Noah Herron. Returning to practice: Tight end Clark Harris, defensive end DeVon Hicks and defensive tackle Justin Harrell. Participating in some drills, but sitting out the stretching period: Wide receiver Robert Ferguson and cornerback Charles Woodson.
The Packers are scheduled to practice in pads at 6:30 p.m., then have a closed practice on Friday before heading to Pittsburgh for Saturday night's preseason opener against the Steelers.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and the award for most disappointing update goes to:

drumroll please

TOPHAT!! for his August 9th Thursday morning recap... nothing but bad news to report... that blows.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
A couple quick notes... we better have a good number 2 FB, cuz Miree can't seem to make it though a couple days without needing time down.

Wynn is getting close to probably testing patience in Packerland.. maybe those "lazy" comments are true about the lad from Florida.

Woodson and a hammy... hopefully not a pull... those buggers linger on and on.

Yep not good morning so far :(

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like everyones feeling worn out, and wanting to get rested for the first preseason game, where the coaches are gonna be looking hard at how they perform.

Chuckwood's hammy, I gotta say sounds like one of those phantom injuries that vets get once camp reaches the 'boring' stage.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MORNING SESSION WRAP UP

Morning wrap-up

Coach Mike McCarthy may turn over some play-calling duties to new offensive coordinator Joe Philbin in the preseason, if not in the opener Saturday at Pittsburgh. "I would like to," McCarthy said. "I was a young coach once, and I think it's important to give your coaching staff an opportunity to grow, and the first segment in the preseason that I can give Joe the opportunity to call plays, I will." McCarthy handled the lion's share of play-calling duties last season, when Jeff Jagodzinski was offensive coordinator and Philbin coached the offensive line.

In other news ...

-- McCarthy said he is concerned about running backs Noah Herron, Brandon Jackson and Corey White potentially being overworked Saturday night, but he said the team won't add any backs before Sunday.

-- The only somewhat competitive period of the morning session followed stretching, when the top two offensive units each ran two plays. The latter were followed by field-goal attempts. Brett Favre was 1-for-2 -- CB Charles Woodson broke up Favre's first pass before dropping out -- and Aaron Rodgers was 2-for-2.

-- During the scout periods, Carlyle Holiday and Shaun Bodiford dropped passes.

-- Rookie linebacker Desmond Bishop worked with the first-unit kick return unit.

-- Defensive tackles Corey Williams and Colin Cole continued to take snaps with the starting defense.

-- With Chad Clifton getting his customary morning off, Junius Coston and Orrin Thompson split time at left tackle with the first team. Clifton, who sat out both practices Tuesday to rest his aching knees, participated in the walkthrough portion or practice today.

Starters will take 12 to 15 snaps

Coach Mike McCarthy said he anticipates starters playing about 12 to 15 snaps in Saturday's preseason opener at Pittsburgh. "Then we'll see ... how far we'll take the second group, and then with the third group will probably finish up the fourth quarter," McCarthy said. McCarthy said he wants to get backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers some action with the starters, meaning starting quarterback Brett Favre probably won't play the entire time they're on the field. However, Favre has said he'd like to play more this preseason. A number of other veterans, including starting cornerbacks Charles Woodson and Al Harris, also could play sparingly, McCarthy said. Both sat out this past Saturday's scrimmage, and Woodson left early in practice this morning to ice his left leg. Coaches were set to meet at 4 p.m. today to discuss playing time, McCarthy said.

Miree, Wynn iffy for Steelers game

Fullback Brandon Miree didn't practice this morning because of a shoulder stinger. His status for Saturday's preseason opener in Pittsburgh is uncertain, but coach Mike McCarthy said he's confident rookie Korey Hall, a converted linebacker, is ready to play if Miree can't. McCarthy indicated running back DeShawn Wynn, who sustained a strained quadriceps Tuesday night, also could miss Saturday's game. The Packers spent the last half-hour of practice preparing for the Steelers. There were no competitive periods.

UPDATE: Miree said the injury occurred last week and he expects to play Saturday. McCarthy said Miree and backup tackle Tony Moll, who also has a stinger, are "day to day."

Herron goes down, but gets back up

The Packers received a scare when running back Noah Herron was clotheslined by safety Tyrone Culver during a team drill and stayed down for about 2 minutes. Herron was going at about three-quarters speed when Culver leveled him with a hit to the neck area. When coach Mike McCarthy walked over to assess the situation, it appeared it might be serious. However, Herron was helped up and walked off the field under his own power. A few minutes later, he returned to drills. Herron and rookie Brandon Jackson are the only healthy running backs at practice.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: MORNING SESSION WRAP UP

The Packers received a scare when running back Noah Herron was clotheslined by safety Tyrone Culver during a team drill and stayed down for about 2 minutes. Herron was going at about three-quarters speed when Culver leveled him with a hit to the neck area.

Herron and rookie Brandon Jackson are the only healthy running backs at practice.

I've always liked Culver, but jeez man, can we please take it easy on our own running backs? If he's trying to stand out and make sure that the coaches notice him, a clothesline to the teams most reliable current running back is a great way to get noticed. Probably not in the way he'd prefer, though.

Scary bit there.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
YEARLY THING

pack_in_black said:
Sounds like everyones feeling worn out, and wanting to get rested for the first preseason game, where the coaches are gonna be looking hard at how they perform.

Chuckwood's hammy, I gotta say sounds like one of those phantom injuries that vets get once camp reaches the 'boring' stage.

WELL SAID.

Reaction score
Re: MORNING SESSION WRAP UP

pack_in_black said:
I've always liked Culver, but jeez man, can we please take it easy on our own running backs? If he's trying to stand out and make sure that the coaches notice him, a clothesline to the teams most reliable current running back is a great way to get noticed. Probably not in the way he'd prefer, though.

Scary bit there.

Word.

I'm pretty sure every time a RB gets a touch in Saturday's preseason game against the Steelers, I'll be holding my breath that they don't get injured.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not worried about players sitting out with little knicks and knocks.
Historically this stuff goes on at this time of year alot of players say they have a little injury etc. to get some hot/ice tub time to get some relief from the haet and boredom of 2 a days.

When the **** starts to hit the fan only the truely injured will be on the sidelines.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LATE RDS DRAFT CHOICES: BLOOMERS?

http://packers.scout.com/2/666304.html

Late-round bloomers: Hall, Bishop and Wynn making the most of their opportunities in camp

Doug Evans, Adam Timmerman, Donald Driver, Mark Tauscher, Corey Williams and Scott Wells are some of the examples. These are or were productive players for the Green Bay Packers that were drafted in the sixth or seventh rounds. Driver would receive Pro Bowl status in fact, but everyone on the aforementioned list were and are key players for the Packers. Korey Hall, Desmond Bishop and DeShawn Wynn are 2007 draft choices that would love to make that list. All were very productive players in college. Hall, a 6th round pick, was a three-time All-Conference linebacker in the Western Athletic Conference. He will now play fullback for the Packers, but he showed he has good hands by intercepting 11 passes in college. Hall also played on all four special teams units for Boise State and was considered a head-hunter. The Packers expect Hall to excel on their special teams units as well.

Bishop was also a 6th round pick. Bishop led the University of California in tackles two straight years at middle linebacker, and led the entire Pac-10 in tackles in 2006 with 126. He also showed his strength at the NFL Scouting Combine by bench-pressing 225 pounds 33 times. Bishop was named first team All-Conference in 2006 and also gained third team All-American honors from Rivals.com. Wynn, taken in the seventh round pick, was the starting tailback for the 2006 national champion Florida Gators for 17 of the his last 25 games. Wynn had a team-high 69 rushing yards, including a two-yard touchdown in the BCS championship game vs. Ohio State. Wynn rushed for more than 2,000 yards in his Florida career and scored 25 touchdowns. Wynn will get a look at both the tailback and fullback positions for the Packers.

Hall knows what he has to do to make the team at fullback. "When I first got here, it was a little rough," Hall said. "I was trying to get my footwork down and stuff. Here lately, it's coming around. I am understanding the packages and installs and my footwork is better." Hall also knows that he has to catch the football. "The fullback here has to be pretty reliable catching the ball because of check downs by the quarterback," he said. "The routes aren't long, but a five yard reception is better than a sack." Hall knows that special teams might be his ticket to making the team.

"I think special teams has been going pretty well," Hall said. "It's just a matter of getting use to the speed of special teams in the NFL vs. college. But we're running basically the same type of stuff. Special team's plays are special team's plays. It's just matter of using your technique, fundamentals and hustle out there." Bishop knows that the linebacker corp in Green Bay is deep. "Our linebacker corp is so good," Bishop said. "We really can mix and match in so many different ways and still be equally successful." Bishop will try to make the team any way he can, including special teams. "It's coming along good, considering I don't have much experience playing special teams. I know I'm doing good, because I'm working my tail off and I'm learning from coach Stock and coach Slocum and going out and giving it my all," he said. Bishop also has a bit of a chip on his shoulder due to his success and lack of recognition. "I did lead the Pac-10 in tackles," Bishop said. "It's kind of the story of my life. Coming out of high school, I didn't get looked at, even though I won MVP of my league. But it's been a struggle my whole life to get the recognition that I deserve. I think it's just God testing me and everyone has to take a different route. I'm just playing the cards that I'm dealt and I'm just practicing and giving my all and everyone will eventually find out who I am." [WELL SAID, BISHOP]

Wynn has had some heath issues in camp thus far, he had a stomach virus the first week of camp and sustained a quad injury on Tuesday night. Still, coach McCarthy has taken notice of him. "Wynn is a good football player," McCarthy said. "Clearly, where he was drafted and how it equates to what he's done in training camp doesn't add up in my opinion. I think he's a gifted young man, very intelligent. He has picked up the scheme rapidly. I think he has exceptional feet in and out of the hole. He's been impressive in the number of opportunities that he's had." Wynn knows that he has to impress when given the chance. "I have to give them something," Wynn said. "I definitely want be physical between the tackles and I think that's what they are looking for out of me. I just want to pound the ball and make the best out of every opportunity."

Opportunity. That is the key word. Donald Driver and the other low draft picks made the best out of their opportunities. Hall, Bishop and Wynn will try and make the best out their opportunities. Based on their track records and their showing thus far in training camp, don't bet against them.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM PRESS CONFERENCE

http://www.packers.com

What happened to Herron on that play?)

I actually didn't see it. I was talking to the quarterback about the look we had on the play. My understanding is that the DB was reaching in to get the ball and caught him in the throat. He's going to be fine.

(Were you hoping Wynn would practice today?)

I was hopeful he'd go today. We'll see what happens tonight. His quad strain is a little more than anticipated. If he can't go tonight then we still have 48 hours to get him ready for Saturday.

(Is this a setback for him?)

I'll say this, you can't make the football team by not being on the field. Availability and accountability are the building blocks of our organization. We have a number of guys that are nicked up and not going. We'll go with the ones that are there. I've never gotten bent out of shape over injuries. They're a part of the game. It also tells you a lot about your football team. You want people you can count on over the course of a long football season. It doesn't help when they're not out there.

(What do you think of the progress, and opportunity, for Corey White?)

Corey had a really good day. He had a couple nice runs. He'll get a significant amount of playing time on Saturday. I'm excited to see him run.

(How do you handle guys like Al and Charles as far as playing time?)
We'll discuss playing time with the coaches at four o'clock. Initially going into it, I'm looking at 12 to 15 plays with the first group. We'll see how it plays with the second group. The third group will finish up the fourth quarter. That's the general outline that we're looking at. Then we'll get into specifics as far as guys like Charles and Al. They might not go the full 15. We'll talk about that today at four o'clock.

(Is it a different scenario with Rodgers, and how do you balance that with Brett?)

You have to find a common ground. You want Brett playing with James Jones and some of the newer guys. But also make sure that Aaron has a chance to play with that first group. It always looks good on paper. We'll see how it plays out on Saturday night.

(Is your approach to preseason games different in Year 2 than Year 1?)

My philosophy hasn't changed. We do want to go out and win the football game while accomplishing some other things. I think it's important that everybody plays in this game. Everybody's available to play in this game. Particularly, we need to see a bunch of different combinations of players on special teams. I just want to get as much information as we can on these individuals because we have a bunch of positions that these four games will sort out, particularly on special teams.

(Is Miree's Achilles bothering him again?)

Actually he's got a stinger now. We'll see if he can go tonight. Tony Moll is in the same category.

(Is Hall ready to play extensively?)

He's ready. He's a Green Bay Packer. It's the Packers vs. the Steelers. Here we go. I'm not worried about that. We're young. I've said it for the rest of the year. We're young. We're fired up and ready to go. That doesn't concern me.

(What do you think of your backup linebackers?)

It's tough, Bishop has really jumped out at camp. Abdul is getting his legs back underneath him. I really like that group. Goodwell is doing a nice job. You have to be excited about Spencer Havner, the flexibility he shows, especially playing all three positions. Not to be redundant but the special teams work that they'll get will be very important as far as their ability to make this football team.

(Hodge was popular last year until he got hurt, are you seeing progress?)

I think he's done a very good job in the offseason, particularly from a mental standpoint. He's a very bright guy. He has a complete understanding of what we're doing, the base and the sub packages. I thought he did a nice job. He went out to Arizona after the OTAs and concentrated on his legs. He looks to be getting through the training camp part of it. I look to him to pick up where he left off last year.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THURSDAY EVENING SESSION WRAP UP

Evening wrap-up

For most of four hours over two practices today, the Packers worked exclusively on game-planning. Save for a handful of one-play team periods at the beginning of each practice, there were no truly competitive periods -- something that probably will be the norm for much of the next two-plus weeks at Clarke Hinkle Field. Here are the last of the nuggets for tonight, which will have to hold you over until Saturday's exhibition opener. (FYI: I'll be checking in with analysis throughout the game, so keep the laptop in front of you while you watch/listen/consume Doritos and Old Milwaukee.)

-- Frank Walker missed a chance for his second interception of the night when a Paul Thompson pass slipped through his hands.

-- Rookie running back Corey White knocked safety Charlie Peprah to the ground on a running play. In Peprah's defense, it was supposed to be a touch period. But as his teammates pointed out loudly, Peprah probably should have gotten out of the way.

-- Dropping 'em like they're hot: James Jones, David Clowney, Clark Harris, Korey Hall and Chris Francies.

-- Brett Favre completed his only pass in the opening team period. Aaron Rodgers' was broken up by Atari Bigby.

-- Practice ended at 8:39 p.m., one of the earliest finishes to a night practice in camp.

Wynn, Miree likely to miss preseason opener

Running back DeShawn Wynn and fullback Brandon Miree likely will miss Saturday's preseason opener because of injuries, coach Mike McCarthy said after practice tonight. Wynn has a strained quadriceps and Miree has a shoulder stinger. McCarthy said he also is concerned about cornerback Al Harris, who is dealing with back tightness for the second week in a row. McCarthy said he would like Harris and Charles Woodson, who sat out with a hamstring injury suffered this morning, to be ready for Saturday. Wynn, Miree, and tackle Tony Moll (shoulder stinger) are "borderline" for Saturday, according to McCarthy. Rookie safety Aaron Rouse sustained an injury during the final special teams period. McCarthy had no information on him.
Harrell shines in pass-rushing drill

Rookie first-round draft pick Justin Harrell turned in his best rep of training camp during a one-on-one pass-rushing drill. Harrell cleanly beat guard Tony Palmer, but he didn't use his usual bull rush move. Instead he used some speed to get around Palmer. On another rep, Allen Barbre was able stop Harrell.

Cullen Jenkins and Daryn Colledge battled to a draw as each won a rep in the pass-rushing drill. In a curious move, guard Travis Leffew moved over to defense and beat guard Adam Stenavich. Leffew wasn't as successful on his second rep when he was stopped by Palmer.

- Former Packers general manager Ron Wolf attended tonight's practice again. Wolf has been in town all week as a guest of current GM Ted Thompson. Wolf and Thompson were chatting it up on the sidelines during practice.

Receiver Clowney drops easy pass

This and that from tonight's practice:

- Rookie receiver David Clowney didn't do himself any favors if he wants to make the team when he dropped a pass from Paul Thompson that hit him directly in the hands.

- Frank Walker picked off an Ingle Martin pass in the end zone during a red zone drill, but Walker fumbled as he attempted to return the ball, which was recovered by cornerback Tramon Williams.

- Aaron Kampman had Mark Tauscher beat in a one-on-one pass-rushing drill but slipped as he came around the edge.

- Receiver Chris Francies came back for the ball and made a nice leaping catch of a Thompson pass between defenders Tyrone Culver and Antonio Malone.

Crosby holds edge in kicking duel

Rookie Mason Crosby again held a slight edge over incumbent Dave Rayner during field goal drills at tonight's practice. Both kickers converted on 40-yard attempts early in the practice, but later each participated in a series of seven kicks. Rayner missed wide left for 32 yards and 52 yards, while Crosby's only miss went wide left from 37 yards. Crosby's successful kicks came from 27, 27, 32, 42, 47 and 52 yards. The 52-yarder cleared the crossbar by a considerable distance. Rayner's successful kicks were from 27, 27, 37, 42 and 47 yards. It should be noted that No. 1 holder Jon Ryan worked with Crosby while backup holder Aaron Rodgers was teamed with Rayner.

Harris, Woodson skip evening practice

Practice is under way in pads at Clarke Hinkle Field. Cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson are the most notable players not in uniform. Woodson left this morning's practice to ice the back of his left leg. Harris had complained of tightness in his back last week.

Two offensive starters who had been sitting out, tackle Chad Clifton (knees) and receiver Greg Jennings (hip flexor) are back in practice.

Other players sitting out are: tackle Tony Moll (shoulder stinger), fullback Brandon Miree (shoulder stinger), defensive end DeVon Hicks (groin) and running backs DeShawn Wynn (quadriceps), Vernand Morency (knee) and P.J. Pope (knee).

Members online

Latest posts