OFFICIAL THREAD We need a running back now !!!!!

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes.

Because their backups are better than ours. Last time Brandon Jackson ran for 286 yards in a game? Never.

Harrison had 682 yards in the 4 games he had 20+ carries last year. You think Jackson's capable of that?

Well, when was the last time Jackson *got* 20+ carries a game?

The correct answer is never.

When Jackson starts getting 20+ carries a game, we'll find out. Until he does, we just won't know, and there's no way to tell. Frankly, I think he's been more than serviceable for us. I think he'd tear off a few more big runs if he go the rock a few more times. Remember he had an 18 yarder vs. Philly and a 12 yarder vs. Chicago that was unfortunately called back. Seriously, the guy needs a legitimate shot. I don't think he's gotten that yet.

Last weekend he averaged 4.8 yards per carry over 9 carries. You add that 71 yard gainer and he averaged 11.5 yards per carry on 10 carries. I believe part of that success has to do with replacing Tauscher with Bulaga on the O-Line.

I get that people expect him to always get 10 yards per carry while only getting 10 or 11 opportunities, but it takes time to get into a rhythm. If we give him a solid commitment in the running game, he might be able to surprise you.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Jackson did flash a little last week. I do wish McCarthy wouldn't have abandoned the running game last week, it's one of the reasons I blame him for how that game turned out.

1 game doesn't do much to change my perception though. If he starts putting together 4 to 4.8 ypc games every week, then I'll be happy.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, when was the last time Jackson *got* 20+ carries a game?

The correct answer is never.

When Jackson starts getting 20+ carries a game, we'll find out. Until he does, we just won't know, and there's no way to tell. Frankly, I think he's been more than serviceable for us. I think he'd tear off a few more big runs if he go the rock a few more times. Remember he had an 18 yarder vs. Philly and a 12 yarder vs. Chicago that was unfortunately called back. Seriously, the guy needs a legitimate shot. I don't think he's gotten that yet.

Last weekend he averaged 4.8 yards per carry over 9 carries. You add that 71 yard gainer and he averaged 11.5 yards per carry on 10 carries. I believe part of that success has to do with replacing Tauscher with Bulaga on the O-Line.

I get that people expect him to always get 10 yards per carry while only getting 10 or 11 opportunities, but it takes time to get into a rhythm. If we give him a solid commitment in the running game, he might be able to surprise you.

Either our coaches are absolutely stupid and thats why they didnt run more, or our coaches know that BJax is not that good.... Its obvious what our coaches think of him after the last couple weeks which is what baffles me that we havent made a move yet... You need to be able to run the ball to close out games.. We want some other teams backups, because some other teams back ups are head over heels better than our starters!

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jackson did flash a little last week. I do wish McCarthy wouldn't have abandoned the running game last week, it's one of the reasons I blame him for how that game turned out.

1 game doesn't do much to change my perception though. If he starts putting together 4 to 4.8 ypc games every week, then I'll be happy.

Well, he's averaging 4.6 for the season, so...

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
The 11.5 he averaged against Washington is skewing the hell out of it.

YPC every week since Grant went down:

That is an interesting stat. Can you also post how many times a running play was called in those games?

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe just maybe, Jax could accumulate that yardage, or close to, I don't wanna jinx, if somebody (not naming names) would give him a chance to run the bloody ball!!! How do we know what we have in a running game if we never use it? I may just get my wish if Flynn plays on Sunday, I think we'd see more running plays then. I dunno though, knowing You Know Who, Flynn was probably trained under the West Coast Offense and knows how to throw the ball. And so the saga continues....

Jordan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is an interesting stat. Can you also post how many times a running play was called in those games?

Croak you keep talking about the opportunities he gets.. There is a reason why he doesnt carry the ball more than 12 times a game, its because he cant. The coaches are not the greatest in the league, BUT there is a reason why he doesnt touch the ball that much. He is a league backup running back. Not someone we can go to the Super Bowl with. There is a reason that before each season we never hear about a battle for our first string running back spot.. Its because B Jack cant handle it. I love the guy and think he is a great back up and 3rd down back.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, he did. But I wouldn't call 1 effective game out of 4 acceptable.

Heh, ok. We'll just have to agree to disagree. I think he's doing the job asked of him based on the opportunities given to him. No running back hits home runs every singe time. The only way he can increase his ability is by getting more carries. That one great game could turn into more if he gets the ball a few more times.

You act like we have the worst running game in the league. We don't.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw 15th on NFL.com. Either way, it's serviceable.

IIRC, Grant wasn't that great to start with either. He eventually got it figured out. Hopefully Jackson does the same.

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brandon Jackson is average at best. basic laws of probability and averages state that eventually he will have a big run. that is all it is. if he starts breaking anything more than POSITIVE 3 yards consistently, come back at me.

Travis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree we need to run the ball ALOT more, but I think someone needs to design some running plays that could be effective. We're not going to gain any yards running into the back of the offensive line. They need to create alleys for the RB to get through, otherwise the best we can hope for is a yard or two on every carry...kinda like we're doing now.

OP
OP
dogpackerz

dogpackerz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm hoping we can pull out a total team effort today and get that WIN.....

i cant wait for Starks next week.......
i'm really excited just 2 see someone different give it a go at RB...

GO PACK

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Rodgers 0-5 in over time games..............or is it the TEAM 0-5?

If you say Rodgers, then for sure you blame Brett for Giants and NO loss?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So does everyone *still* think we need a RB?

Very disappointing that we can't get it done in OT.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
#1 on my needs list is a pass rusher to play opposite of Clay. When he's injured, or when teams finally figure out how to keep him out of the game, our pass rush goes to hell in a handbasket. Can't win without any threat of a pass rush at all.

Imagine 2 Clays running around. That's what I envision.

Since I now think this year's a lost cause, I'm fine with not doing anything and waiting for Grant to come back.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't agree that this year is a lost cause. We were 4-4 last season before going on a tear. We still have a shot, especially in the NCF. We just need to get it figured out offensively. Our defense has been playing pretty good.

I think it's worth mentioning that in addition to Matthews being out, Neal and Pickett were out as well. That's three of our better pass rushers who were on the sidelines. Neal is a beast and might have gotten us over the top with the QB pressure. Add Pickett to the mix as well and I'm almost certain we get to the QB.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I'm just having a tough time seeing anything but 8-8. But I'm a pessimist by nature, though I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.

And you're right, we were missing some pieces other than Matthews today, but even last week against Washington there was no pass rush after Matthews went out. Neal and Pickett could remedy that situation, I guess, but I feel like adding another dynamic pass rusher would really put us over the top defensively.

Not to mention that with everyone coming back healthy next year, there aren't a lot of other places to spend that draft pick on. Defensive backs, I guess. Maybe another O-lineman. And, sue me, but I'd love an explosive speed back to compliment Grant. But, I do think another pass rusher is a major need.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brad Jones was, what, a 7th rounder last season? I think he'd still in the development stage. UFA Frank Zombo has shown tremendous promise as well, so I think it's only a matter of time before we have a guy who matches Clay Matthews talent on the other side.

IIRC, Ryan Pickett came out pretty early last week and I know Mike Neal hurt his shoulder early on but kept trying to play with it. We still have 7th round project CJ Wilson to work with for our D Line, so the future is certainly looking bright from that stand point.

Frankly, I really want us to get a solid O-Line. I think if we do that, our running game will work well, we'll have better pass protection and we'll be able to execute better. Plus I doubt Clifton and Tauscher are back next season, and we'll need the talent. Sure we've got Bulaga and Lang, but Bulaga seemed to get man handled all day today. Part of me feels that's inexperience, and that he'll improve with more reps, but I hate seeing him get beat. I really want an O-Line like the Jets- Just beasts all the way through.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Good points on the defense. I do like Zombo a lot and I think he could be a very good player for us. I'm probably just expecting too much too soon out of those guys. They were more of a project than Matthews was and it's going to take longer for them to turn it on, so those were points well made. But if an elite pass rushing prospect falls into our laps, I wouldn't say no. ;)

Major mistake today not helping Bulaga with Wake, imo. You've got a young rookie, you want to keep his confidence high, but he keeps getting beat. Over and over. Gotta start chipping Wake or putting Crabtree over there to double him.

Wake's pretty damn good. And Bulaga's in just his 2nd game at that position. I'm not all that concerned about him yet. I'm more concerned with McCarthy being too stubborn or stupid to give Bulaga some help when he so clearly needed it.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good points on the defense. I do like Zombo a lot and I think he could be a very good player for us. I'm probably just expecting too much too soon out of those guys. They were more of a project than Matthews was and it's going to take longer for them to turn it on, so those were points well made. But if an elite pass rushing prospect falls into our laps, I wouldn't say no. ;)

Major mistake today not helping Bulaga with Wake, imo. You've got a young rookie, you want to keep his confidence high, but he keeps getting beat. Over and over. Gotta start chipping Wake or putting Crabtree over there to double him.

Wake's pretty damn good. And Bulaga's in just his 2nd game at that position. I'm not all that concerned about him yet. I'm more concerned with McCarthy being too stubborn or stupid to give Bulaga some help when he so clearly needed it.

IMO Bulaga has been mismanaged. I don't understand why he ever competed for the LG position unless they thought he would be a guard long term. Should have had him compete with Tauscher at RT. If he won the competition, I would have cut Tauscher - if he lost, have him as the #1 backup at both tackle positions. Many LTs have started at RT (most recently Michael Oher).

They have had him practicing at 3 positions and that's too much. It has screwed up his development.

I believe Campen is the major problem on the O-line ... not the players.

Latest posts