OFFICIAL THREAD We need a running back now !!!!!

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact that they haven't even seen what they have in Nance yet suggests TT has no desire of looking outside for RB help. He's just putting the faith in Nance and Starks.

erik_m_vos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
worst idea ever

Why not? Larry Johnson has more experience, yards, and potential than ANY back on our roster. (except grant).... He'd be a huge upgrade and could carry the load while getting Jackson back to a third down back. SOMETHING needs done!

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
*coughs*

So, umm, Theodore, Carolina's 0-5. Probably looking to rebuild. And that DeAngelo Williams would look awful nice in green and gold.

Obviously I don't think there's a chance in hell Ted will do it. No shot. But it's what I would do, if he could be had for a reasonable price.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I think we saw today that running back is NOT what we need. Jackson proved he is good between the tackles and good for the pass.

erik_m_vos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we saw today that running back is NOT what we need. Jackson proved he is good between the tackles and good for the pass.

good for the pass, yes.... very good 3rd down back. Good to be an every down back? no way! Remember, 70+ of his yards today came on ONE play. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need a RB now!!!

Right, because that was our problem today.

Jackson ran for more than 100 yards on the 10 carries he got. You want to blame someone for the lack of a running game, blame the playcalling who, for whatever reasons, got away from running the ball.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
*coughs*

So, umm, Theodore, Carolina's 0-5. Probably looking to rebuild. And that DeAngelo Williams would look awful nice in green and gold.

Obviously I don't think there's a chance in hell Ted will do it. No shot. But it's what I would do, if he could be had for a reasonable price.

Think it was Adam Schefter this morning saying Carolina has fielded calls about Williams but is NOT looking to trade him.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good for the pass, yes.... very good 3rd down back. Good to be an every down back? no way! Remember, 70+ of his yards today came on ONE play. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut

Right, but the funny thing is you kinda need to commit to the run in order to find those nuts. 10 carries isn't committing to the run.

By the way, you take away the 71 yard gain, and he still averaged 4.8 yards per carry. Not sure what more the guy can do if he's not given an opportunity to run the ball.

Side note, we had Bulaga starting at right tackle today...

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, now does anybody think our pass defense needs help? We got shredded in the secondary.

That started to happen when Matthews came out, since our pass rush went with him.

The defense is going to give up the occasional plays, but the other thing to consider is our offense needs to give our defense a chance, which they didn't. It's kinda tough to execute on the defensive side of the ball when they're on the field the whole time.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, but the funny thing is you kinda need to commit to the run in order to find those nuts. 10 carries isn't committing to the run.

By the way, you take away the 71 yard gain, and he still averaged 4.8 yards per carry. Not sure what more the guy can do if he's not given an opportunity to run the ball.

Side note, we had Bulaga starting at right tackle today...

I could not understand why MM didn't call more run plays. It seemed like Jackson actually had some holes to run through yesterday. It was maddening watching the Packers completely abandon the run.

BTW, I really like Bulaga. Tauscher was making me cringe on every offense play.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I too wish MM would have committed to the run. . After Jackson broke off that big run I was waiting to see if he could break another one.. Wish he woulda had upwards of 16-23 carries instead of 10.. Need to build the guys confidence if we're really gunna roll with him as our starter for the season

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I too wish MM would have committed to the run. . After Jackson broke off that big run I was waiting to see if he could break another one.. Wish he woulda had upwards of 16-23 carries instead of 10.. Need to build the guys confidence if we're really gunna roll with him as our starter for the season

This is probably the single most confusing thing of that whole game yesterday. It looked liked Jackson was in a groove and prepared to carve up a lot of yardage. The holes were there. He saw them and he was running to daylight. It didn't look like Washington had an answer for it.

Now I know the West Coast Offense is predicated on throwing the ball to set up the run, but when the run is working so well, why not show a little flexibility and keep running until the opponent proves they can stop it? I just don't get why they didn't keep attacking that one gap in particular. Jackson could have run through it all day.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is probably the single most confusing thing of that whole game yesterday. It looked liked Jackson was in a groove and prepared to carve up a lot of yardage. The holes were there. He saw them and he was running to daylight. It didn't look like Washington had an answer for it.

Now I know the West Coast Offense is predicated on throwing the ball to set up the run, but when the run is working so well, why not show a little flexibility and keep running until the opponent proves they can stop it? I just don't get why they didn't keep attacking that one gap in particular. Jackson could have run through it all day.

I agree completely! I'm beginning to loathe that whole West Coast Offense mentality, it killed any run game we might of had going. Jackson was looking good as well as Kuhn. That's one big beef I got with MM, when something is working, why the hell would you stop? I would of loved to of seen where Jackson could of taken that. Maybe against Miami, with Rogers out, we'll see a little more of this glimmer of fleeting hope. I don't know how much MM is gonna trust Flynn to put that ball in the air even against Miami.

The Drew

The Drew Cave
Reaction score
So the Saints officially released Deshawn Wynn to make foom for Julius Jones... Im sure we could get Wynn for next to nothing... plus he knows the system... Bring him back... Id rather have a true tailback in the backfield with B Jack... nothing against Kuhn... i just think he is going to fumble everytime he gets tackled...

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does Kuhn have a fumbling problem I'm unaware of?

Does it mean anything that Wynn was not only cut by us but was also cut by the Saints, who are just as needy for a run game as we are?

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Jerome Harrison could've been had relatively cheap, me thinks. Traded today to Philly for Mike Bell.

What's the draft pick equivalent of Mike Bell? A fifth rounder?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like as the season is progressing, we need more than just a running back to take care of the issues.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jerome Harrison could've been had relatively cheap, me thinks. Traded today to Philly for Mike Bell.

What's the draft pick equivalent of Mike Bell? A fifth rounder?

/sigh I knew it was only a matter of time...

Seriously, are you guys so desperate for us to make a move that you're willing to trade draft picks for someone else's backup?

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
/sigh I knew it was only a matter of time...

Seriously, are you guys so desperate for us to make a move that you're willing to trade draft picks for someone else's backup?
Yes.

Because their backups are better than ours. Last time Brandon Jackson ran for 286 yards in a game? Never.

Harrison had 682 yards in the 4 games he had 20+ carries last year. You think Jackson's capable of that?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Yes.

Because their backups are better than ours. Last time Brandon Jackson ran for 286 yards in a game? Never.

Harrison had 682 yards in the 4 games he had 20+ carries last year. You think Jackson's capable of that?

Nobody is capable of it on a West Coast "pass oriented" team.

Members online

Latest posts