OFFICIAL RODGERS IS MVP THREAD

Crawfish

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey guys, Saints fan here.

Would you guys really be that angry if Brees won it over Rodgers? It seems to me like these two QBs are pretty evenly matched, and you wouldn't hear very many gripes coming out of Louisiana if Rodgers won it. We definitely feel like Brees should be in the discussion, though. He's also had a monster year.

12theTruth

Would you guys really be that angry if Brees won it over Rodgers? It seems to me like these two QBs are pretty evenly matched, and you wouldn't hear very many gripes coming out of Louisiana if Rodgers won it. We definitely feel like Brees should be in the discussion, though. He's also had a monster year.

I don't think anyone would be angry. Disappointed? Yes! Peter King presented a great argument why Aaron Rodgers should be considered the MVP above Drew Brees. Breaking Marino's record is not the holy grail anymore. Brady did it too and Stafford was knocking on the door.
Watching the Saints game yesterday I saw Brees throw on a 1st and Goal at the 1 up by two touchdowns. Lets face it Payton and Brees are stats mongers. Any impartial observer watching Rodgers over the year can see that Rodgers stats typically come as a natural progression of the offense unlike what we have been seeing from Brees especially the past few weeks.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah at this point it is basically a toss up. I do believe Rodgers is more important to his team, and is by far the more complete player and QB, but I am a Packer fan so..

You have to consider Rodgers 3 rushing TDs, the teams records, and the fact Rodgers was sat in the final week because it was a meaningless game, and if you do I believe the clear winner is Rodgers. If you don't consider that than Brees may have a slight edge.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
If Brees wins it I will be angry, Rodgers has had the better season, he got more accomplished THIS season, the lone loss this season can't be pointed at his play, and the argument, well Brees got screwed out on other years lets make it his this year is BS, Rodgers played better than Brees this season.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I have to apologize a bit here to Brees. I want to put Brady back in third place with Brees second behind Rodgers.

I was thinking about this a bit and man oh man the Pats did not really beat anyone this year. The one playoff team they beat was the Broncos and thats an 8-8 team who is probably the worst of the bunch.

The Packers have beaten the most playoff teams and then the Saints. The Saints even beat the Texans at home with Schaub in there. The Packers probably had a tougher game vs. Denver without Tebow in there LOL.

The big one to me though that can't be ignored is the head to head with; Packers over Saints. Both Rodgers and Brees had brilliant moments in that game but one won.

Rodgers, Brees, Brady. Thats my top 3. Brady didn't get by the Giants either and both Rodgers/Brees did.

This is all pretty exciting though. Having a hot QB rivalry even if they are years apart in age is great for the game.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Personally, I'd be pretty pissed. I believe that Rodgers' season was that much better than Brees'.

Any advanced statistical site will tell you that Rodgers' season was much better than Brees' (FO says Brees wins in DYAR, which takes more into account raw numbers, but loses by quite a bit in DVOA, where per play value is more important), as will any qualified analyst, that knows what they're talking about regarding QB play. In fact the consensus is Rodgers had a top 5 all time QB season, with Cold Hard Football Facts going as far as to say that if the Packers win the SB, it's the greatest single season by a player in ANY kind of sport.

Before this last stretch, anything outside a consensus ballot would be a travesty. Brees braking the yardage record as well as the completion percentage record makes things much closer. It's a shame, really, because IMHO Brees got robbed in 09, but regardless every time Brees has had a fantastic, HoF season there's been a QB that has played out of his mind as well.

But if there's fair, thorough, well-based voting, Rodgers should win it, and I think this thread, despite some out-of-hand, personal opinions, has done a great job making a case why.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to apologize a bit here to Brees. I want to put Brady back in third place with Brees second behind Rodgers.

I was thinking about this a bit and man oh man the Pats did not really beat anyone this year. The one playoff team they beat was the Broncos and thats an 8-8 team who is probably the worst of the bunch.

The Packers have beaten the most playoff teams and then the Saints. The Saints even beat the Texans at home with Schaub in there. The Packers probably had a tougher game vs. Denver without Tebow in there LOL.

The big one to me though that can't be ignored is the head to head with; Packers over Saints. Both Rodgers and Brees had brilliant moments in that game but one won.

Rodgers, Brees, Brady. Thats my top 3. Brady didn't get by the Giants either and both Rodgers/Brees did.

This is all pretty exciting though. Having a hot QB rivalry even if they are years apart in age is great for the game.
It's the new Manning/Brady. I think there's at least 5 more years of both of them playing at their peak.

In fact, there's a Saints/Packers game next year, at Lambeau again.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
It's the new Manning/Brady. I think there's at least 5 more years of both of them playing at their peak.

In fact, there's a Saints/Packers game next year, at Lambeau again.

And in those years the Colts seemed to always play in NE......;)

It really is the new Manning/Brady even though they are much farther apart in age then the original duo. One is the outdoor elite QB who the opposing fanbase calls at times "the system QB" and who took over for a former big star at QB. The other being the good boy next door nationally loved indoor dome QB with the seemingly unstoppable offense and stats. Rodgers also has the moxie and intangibles to me of a young Tom Brady. The Saints offense at times looks a lot to me like the Colts offenses of the past with Edge in there when the pass AND run was lethal.

And in 2004 the Colts went to the Pats and lost in their SB opener in a close one and then went back for the the playoffs.....

The irony to me is that I the lover of the Colts favors all things Packers lmao. But, secretly I have often wished the Colts played outdoors and when they got a new stadium did not go for an indoor one. But, they wanted to host the SB and other big games. I adore outdoor games and watching them more then pretty indoor games.

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will also be pretty pissed if Rodgers gets snubbed, but I think like many other people have now been saying, it would probably be a blessing in disguise. It would motivate him to no end, and he would go and win 4 straight Super Bowls or something.

That being said, Brees has played amazing and any other year he'd win MVP easy. But this year Rodgers is the MVP in my mind, no question.

The stats have been passed around and dissected hundreds of different ways at this point, they've both been ridiculous and they've both broken records.

But I have to agree with what Peter King said about it. Rodgers had zero multi interception games, Brees had several. Rodgers has the better record, and Rodgers beat Drew head to head. However what REALLY does it for me, is the running game. The Saints run the ball well, top ten. The Packers can not run the ball, or at least do not. When you play the Packers you know they don't run, you know it's all on Rodgers, and he still destroys you. Ridiculous.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I wouldn't be pissed, but the reasons people are citing to say that it should be Brees over Rodgers are ridiculous. The official line of Rodgers nay-sayers is a) FLynn's performance "proves" that Rodgers benefits from a great system and that he is replaceable and b) Brees broke Marino's record and has better numbers overall, and c) The Saints have a better running game so that means that Brees does more somehow.

It's a) that is the most moronic. All it "proves" is that Matt Flynn had a great game and he's a damn good QB and it's quite likely that FLynn could do every bit as good if he were in a Saints' uniform and Brees took the day off. Flynn is better than the Saints' backup QB, that's what it means, but somehow it's being twisted into a line of reasoning that Rodgers is of less value. Could Flynn have done all season long what Rodgers did? I highly doubt it.

And for Chrissakes, all this crap about a "system quarterback," I'm sorry, Drew Brees isn't a system QB? He doesn't benefit from the fact that NO has a solid OL, that he has weapons like Sproles, Colston and Graham? You don't think that another elite QB could play for the Saints and put up monster numbers? Rodgers playing for the Saints "system" could put up the same numbers or better I'll wager.

As for the Saints having a better running game, that actually HELPS Brees have better numbers, not worse!

I'm getting sick of hearing that crap. So yes I'd be pissed if these were somehow used as the reasons why Brees got it over Rodgers.

Rodgers has had to deal with more pass rush than Brees all season long. Brees has been pitching tents and drinking coffee back there. And you know what? The game where the OL finally held, which was against the Bears, Rodgers threw for 290 yards and 5 TDs in 3 quarters of play. And the OL protected FLynn pretty well too against the Lions....

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
8 of last 9 for Saints have been indoors.
Rodgers never had a multi pick game this season
Rodgers has 3 rushing TDs and several hundred rushing yards
Brees has thrown the ball over a 100 more times than Aaron this season.
Aaron was never in any games to capture a record, he was in games to capture a win.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you dont lead the league in TDs outside of the pocket as a "system QB"

If Rodgers is a system QB, then so is Joe Montana.

Oh is supporting cast is too good? So should Jerry Rice not be in the HOF then bc his QBs were amazing?

Nothing ****** me off more than the lack of respect for Aaron Rodgers on Saints forums. They legit think its a media bias against the saints. No, ****tards, its a talent bias.

Reaction score
Rodgers should win this. But I won't be surprised if that game by Flynn sways enough voters to Brees for the MVP (career achievement award). Ugh. :mad:

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you dont lead the league in TDs outside of the pocket as a "system QB"

If Rodgers is a system QB, then so is Joe Montana.

Oh is supporting cast is too good? So should Jerry Rice not be in the HOF then bc his QBs were amazing?

Nothing ****** me off more than the lack of respect for Aaron Rodgers on Saints forums. They legit think its a media bias against the saints. No, ****tards, its a talent bias.

Yeah me too Ivo. And if Rodgers is a system QB, then Drew Brees is a system QB x3. I tried to sign up for a Saints forum to try and post a few things about it, but my registration was refused even though I hadn't written a word and never presented myself as a Packer fans lol. The RARAing on Saints' forums and the downplaying of Rodgers' accomplishments in any way possible is just amazing.

Some people on this board complain about the way we put down Brees. Pffft, Saints boards that I've read are twice as bad.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can good case for both Drew Brees and for matter for Eli Manning. If anything might hurt it may Flynn performance, not the lose to KC. It almost has to go to Rodgers.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There seems to be a movement to make Brees the Offensive Player of the Year and Rodgers the MVP. Seems odd to me, but whatever works.

And by movement I mean I seen it on two different sites.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can good case for both Drew Brees and for matter for Eli Manning. If anything might hurt it may Flynn performance, not the lose to KC. It almost has to go to Rodgers.

What's the case for Eli? I can't see one. He shouldn't even be in the pro bowl. Matt stafford should be over him.

Members online

Latest posts