Official RB Eddie Lacy thread

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought we'd have to trade up to get him. I was kinda worried Atlanta would take him right before us since they just let Turner go.

Good to see we got a ton of picks left. But IDK about anyone else but there doesn't seem to be a lot of value left in the draft.

Jessie Williams, DT, Alabama... I'm hoping TT has his eye on him.

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Wouldn't mind seeing one of those 10 picks spend on Knile Davis now. Davis is either going to be a boom or a bust, and with Lacy in the fold and 10 picks, we can afford a chance on him with one of those 6th rounders if he's still there.

Knile Davis was drafted already by KC

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I’m worried about Lacy’s injury history but like the fact he played hurt. I do think it’s interesting there isn’t more concern expressed here for Thompson pulling the trigger on a player with an injury history that dates back to his senior year in high school. I think that is largely due to so many Packers fans wanting a stud RB and particularly wanting Lacy who many viewed as the best RB in the draft and some wanted him taken with pick #26. All I’m saying is I’ll bet there would have been more complaining if a player with the same injuries were picked at a “less popular” position.

What I like about the pick is Lacy is a power RB. In today’s NFL a lot of players have to be versatile and I understand that but too often it seems the Packers end up with a “jack of all trades and master of none” – Brandon Jackson comes to mind. Of course Lacy will have to be able to pick up a blitz and catch the ball out of the backfield, but if he’s “just” great running the ball, that’ll be more than fine by me. (BTW, versatility is required on the OL too with just 7 OL active on game day usually but I still think you need players like Sitton, who even if he can’t play OT or OC is extremely valuable.)

The other thing about this pick is it reminded me of what Wilde has been saying for the past few weeks or so. He says the Packers are going to revert more to the classic WCO scheme on O and pull back on being so “vertical” and they’ll run the ball and throw it to RBs more. That plays into the talents of Lacy (and Cobb) IMO. If it works the result should be keeping Rodgers upright and the D off the field more.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bottom line to me is that - at #61 - this was just too good of value to pass up. He's an elite power running back, a player we so desperately need. And even though he has a long injury history, he played through it. That speaks volumes to me and to the seriousness of these injuries. It's football. There will always be nicks and bruises. I know he had surgeries, but he played through it and actually got better as the season progressed last year. At #61, it's definitely worth this alleged injury risk.

toolkien

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt he'll see the holes he did in Alabama, but, as always, all the Packers need is a guy to keep the defense honest. And then a guy who can block, who CAN move when he's got some space but also can move a pile when not, and it looks like he can catch pretty well too. He looks to be an all-in-one utility guy for the Packers.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
HURRAEH! I got my big back!!! We got lacy and Ball on the board, who do we pick? Meh, lets trade back 5 spots and see who falls. GENIUS.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
I wanted Lacy or Laveon Bell and TT traded back got his DE and still got Lacy, What a pick. Even if he isnt a home run hitter or an elite NFL back he still provides size, strength, and hopefully durability at a spot which has been a turn style since I can remember. Lacy looks like he is also a high character football guy and the addition of cobb and now the back out of ucla franklin, lacy wont have to be an every-down back, he'll just have to pass protect and get the hard yards, and the goal line carries. The addition of his pass catching skills and now possible 2 back sets(lacy/harris/franklin/cobb) could be a new wrinkle for MM this year.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No more KUhn on third and short! That makes me very happy:)
To be honest, I'll be happy when Kuhn is released. What a waste of cap space. I would have much rather handed it to Harris or Raji on 3rd/4th and short. Other than some clutch short passes, most of Kuhn's touches were wasted downs. He's like a poor man's Merrill Hoge, and Merrill Hoge sucked.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
To be honest, I'll be happy when Kuhn is released. What a waste of cap space. I would have much rather handed it to Harris or Raji on 3rd/4th and short. Other than some clutch short passes, most of Kuhn's touches were wasted downs. He's like a poor man's Merrill Hoge, and Merrill Hoge sucked.
Literally no reason to keep him at this point. Green can block on 3rd down (which is why we keep him)

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I screamed like a girl when I saw that we took Lacy.. People had projected him going to us in the first round people. The FIRST ROUND!
Hahaha.....screamed like a girl ? Oh I do hope he delivers the goods. :tup:. I don`t want to pee on anybodies barbeque here but I prefer to see what ALL the picks can do in the preseason before I get too excited. No offence intended.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy is a great pass blocker and hes also a good pass catcher. Im a huge Alabama fan and ive watched him his whole career at Bama. He'll fit in fine here. Also, for anyone worried about his injury history, dont forget, its RB by committee. Lacy likely will only run the ball 15 or so times max per game while Franklin or someone else gets several more carries. So yes, while Lacy is a heavy workload power back, he wont see a heavy load with us unless we get big leads early on in games and decide to pound the rock for two straight quarters. Thing is, I wouldnt worry much about his injury riddled past or him wearing down. RB by committee tends to remedy that type of stuff.

Lacy will also surprise you with his speed. He can actually break away for 50+ yard TD runs.

Also, dont be surprised if Lacy catches 50-60 balls this coming year. Hes a great pass catcher.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I also think it makes sense to release Kuhn, but it has nothing to do with the acquisition of Lacy for me. If Kuhn were a great lead blocker that would be one thing but he's not IMO. If he could not only catch the ball out of the backfield but then make someone miss or run over someone on even a semi-consistent basis, that too would be one thing but he doesn't. He does well protecting the QB on third down, but the reason it doesn't have anything to do with RBs IMO is TEs can fill the role of lead blocker and "safety valve" at least as well or better. As long as they find one who can pass block adequately, they have already used TEs lined up in the backfield. And while Kuhn's $2.5M cap it and salary with likely to be earned bonuses is about $2.35M isn't a disaster, why not save that money for little or no less production?

Members online

Latest posts