OFFICIAL Packers VS Lions - The Matt Flynn Game

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Lions forum is ablaze with how the refs are favoring the other teams (mainly us) and hating on the Lions.
And that's my point.

They're complaining about the refs when they lost to our backups. That's the same loser mentality that their coach employs. Have you ever seen McCarthy use the refs as an excuse? Even after we got robbed at AZ he didn't take that easy road. And we're where we're at.

As long as the Lions are more interested in being thugs and in shouting louder, they won't be in the same class (pun intended) as we are.

It's not a rivalry if only one team wins.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I have a feeling Flynn probably hurt Rodgers chances of MVP.

He had 6 Touchdowns today, and set the single season record for TD's and yardage in Packers franchise history. It is impressive, but at the same time the impression this leaves is: "Perhaps anyone can step in and win with that offense." and that is something they are going to look at, and start crediting the entire offense as a whole rather than the quarterback.

Oh and BTW, since I already get enough **** from this board from liking Drew Brees, you can use this against me too if you are not thinking from all corners of the logic ;)

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for the "Flynn played well so Rodgers can't be MVP" line of thought, that's silly.

You can't undermine what Rodgers did because his backup is better than Brees' and Brady's backup. That's saying Brady isn't as good because Cassel had a great year and went 10-6.

That line of thought would suggest that Montana wasn't as good, because he played under Walsh and because Young would eventually win MVP and a SB.

Rodgers, Brady and Montana were (are) in a great situation, but their level of play was (is) so outstanding that it made their franchises much, much better.

And we're not talking about Rodgers having a similar season as Brees. He had 4 more touchdowns, less than half as many INTs, and more than 20 points in difference in QB rating while attempting 100+ less passes. He set the single-season QB rating record. In fact, Rodgers is the all-time leader in both regular season and postseason QB rating, and it's not close.

He has a CAREER 104.1 QB rating, the second best being Tony Romo and Steve Young at 96.8.
And his postseason QB rating is 112.4, the second best being Bart Starr at 104.8

There's no question Rodgers is helped by a great supporting cast, but that is true for every great QB. Sproles set the all time total yardage record this season, not to mention Graham, Colston, Moore, etc... Let's not pretend Brees is in a bad team here...

The fact that his backup is really good and is in this scheme for 4 years now shouldn't be used against him. Not without detracting from Brees' and Brady's performances the fact that their teams are also stacked, and moreso, they didn't have to face the season as SB champions, putting a huge target on their backs.

I could make the case that Brees and Brady have a much better OL than Rodgers had, even without all the injuries. The Packers haven't employed the same OL since week 3. Every single week a player has gone down and there's been shuffling going on...

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I have a feeling Flynn probably hurt Rodgers chances of MVP.

He had 6 Touchdowns today, and set the single season record for TD's and yardage in Packers franchise history. It is impressive, but at the same time the impression this leaves is: "Perhaps anyone can step in and win with that offense." and that is something they are going to look at, and start crediting the entire offense as a whole rather than the quarterback.

Oh and BTW, since I already get enough **** from this board from liking Drew Brees, you can use this against me too if you are not thinking from all corners of the logic ;)

On the plus side TEAMS win championships. Teams who rely simply on just ONE guy usually don't.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
So it's pretty much Suh vs. the Saints now eh? Awesome.

I wonder how the Lions feel about this game now considering they probably thought it was going to be a cakewalk. (or at least the fans did)

The whole backup QB thing is a bit annoying to me at times. I have no doubts at times this season the Colts could be a playoff team this year with a good QB in there. Would not make me think lesser of Peyton either if it happened. A good QB could take advantage of our weapons on offense. The defensive issues were at times overblown in many games. The offense stalled too often unlike in years past.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
You're all very eloquent with your insults, I'll give you that. A few of those actually had me laughing. "Detroit Worms", lol. Thats good. Kind of a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situation for me. I can a) cheer for a winner with a past full of glory and be labeled a bandwagoner, or a fair-weather fan, OR b) stick with the team I've backed for 20 years and hear the insults that come with that. I've been a Lion fan long enough to be desensitized to those insults though, and can even find the humor in them. It'll be that much sweeter upon victory, you know?

Last I checked, weather predictions for Sunday were for temps in the low 30s with snow flurries. Should be a fun game to play, and I predict that (for a change) it will be a low scoring game. With colder conditions, QB's usually have a harder time throwing the ball. Both teams will probably rely more on the run game, and with Detroit having the better defense, I predict Lions win 17-7 (or 17-10).

I apologize for my comment about the "Detroit Worms". That was an insult to worms everywhere.

As for the rest of your brilliant analysis about low scoring, hard to pass, Detroit will win 17-7, etc., you were wrong on every point you made. In fact, your predictions are the only thing in history worse than Detroit's 0-16 season.

Lastly, if you think "perpetually" is a big word, then I know you're lying about being a fan for 20 years, go have your mom put some more milk in your sippy cup.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the plus side TEAMS win championships. Teams who rely simply on just ONE guy usually don't.
They usually end up contending for the #1 pick in the playoffs ;).

You can maximize a players' performance if you build the roster around his talents. And Manning up until this year had never missed a game (I don't think he had even missed a practice). But it's a team sport. The QB is the most important position by far, but if you look at all the dynasties in the NFL, those were great TEAMS. All of them had elite QBs that made them better, but they were great teams, offense and defense.

I sincerily think that Polian has been doing a poor job lately (last 3 years). He started pressing to build a roster for Manning, getting RBs and LTs and WRs, but taking those positions when often there was a best player available. We saw that happen here with Sherman.

With Peyton, you guys would've contended for the AFC South, no doubt in my mind. But this team, even with Peyton, is but a shadow of those great teams of the mid 2000's.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, there goes Flynn, nice knowing you buddy. He'll make a nice starter for somebody next year, preferably an AFC team. All in all, a well played, high scoring game. Both teams rested some starters, so the closeness in score is explainable. I'm not worried about Rodgers chances at MVP. I think another SB ring would suit Rodgers just as well. I have a good feeling going into the playoffs, this team is strong! :)

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
In 1992, 1994, and 1995; Steve Young went down injured in some games and Elvis Grbac came in as a relief.

When Young won the MVP, they loved to say that team made him look better than he truly was.

You can say Jerry Rice can make anyone look good when you're throwing the ball to him, and yes Grbac was a good back up, but that's how I look at Flynn.

I'm not discrediting Rodgers and saying he don't deserve the thought, I'm just saying it as it is. Young won the MVP in 1992, and 1994 and was damn impressive. Difference is 1992 the excuse was "that's Joe's team, anyone can win 12 games under center there" in 1994, Young was a phenomenal quarterback, and played his greatest year, even knocking on Joe Cool's completion percentage record, but 1994 and 1992 was two different Young's, just like 2009 and 2011 is two different Rodgers. I watched the Niners play under Grbac in some 1995 games where Young went out, and he looked great slinging bombs to Rice and Taylor, but at the same time, that's the kind of back up you want. Flynn is a GREAT back up, just as my example proves.

From an MVP voters perspective, I do think some of them are going to use the Grbac/Young excuse, and say anyone can step into that offense and run it. But I think that's unfair to say. And as I am going to say, I believe Flynn goes off like Grbac to a team that needs a quarterback desperately, I just pray he's not thrown into a bad situation and has to run for his life behind a bad O-line constantly.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
They usually end up contending for the #1 pick in the playoffs ;).

You can maximize a players' performance if you build the roster around his talents. And Manning up until this year had never missed a game (I don't think he had even missed a practice). But it's a team sport. The QB is the most important position by far, but if you look at all the dynasties in the NFL, those were great TEAMS. All of them had elite QBs that made them better, but they were great teams, offense and defense.

I hear ya there. :)

And believe me, while there is talent on this Indy team it's 100% built around the QB. It's his offense and the D is built to rush the passer with a lead or in a shootout.

And I never liked it. At all. You can't win multiple SB's relying on one guy. The one year the Colts did win it all ironically were some of Peyton's worst playoff games. Team sport.

Another risky thing is relying on being a comeback team......yep seen that movie before. It often does not end well in the playoffs.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
What happened to the taunting Lions troll???? Hmmmm....guess the Big Billy Goat (aka Flynn) got the best of him.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think our Lions troll jumped off a bridge somewhere, which is sad:
Someone now has to spend some time to clean him up......

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
What happened to the taunting Lions troll???? Hmmmm....guess the Big Billy Goat (aka Flynn) got the best of him.
Probably still sitting on a Lion's forum whining about the reffing. Maybe trying to weasel out of mutual suicide pacts. Re-enforcing their belief that their defense can stop NO & Brees and Co. after they couldn't stop a backup QB without his best WR and RB.

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably not. It's a popularity thing a lot of the time. And right now everyone is on the Saints bandwagon.

Of course, Green Bay was the hot team the first half, continues to be hot but loses 1 game. NO starts to turn it up and now they are the team to beat in the NFL. Its all a matter of timing and the media, that is IT.

Unomee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lions fans have been going ballistic over the TD that was taken from them; maybe so, but they forget that a score on the Lions final drive still wins them the game and we don't hear near as much about that from them. I didn't see any referee participation on the INT that occurred instead.

Packers908

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whoo I cant believe that packers actually won! I never thought Flynn would be play the whole game. What a game by the way.

Packers forever!

_Xyn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that should of been a touchdown.. But nobody has eyes everywhere...

I think what they said on TV today about having refs watching tv and correcting calls would be a very good alternative.

I should apply to that job though =p

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
As I see it, ref noncalls work themselves out in time. That missed TD was BS, but that is what happens when you play in real time. As to any Lions fan complaining about this, please go find a Giants fan to find comfort with. This BS happens, its up to the team to overcome those penalties.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
The Refs blew that call, but they didn't throw the red flag to challenge two previous calls either. It was the emotions and arrogance of Schwartz that threw that chance away. The Refs didn't drop an obvious touchdown pass on blown coverage either. They didn't call the Lions right guard for constantly moving before the snap and trying to draw the Packers off. They didn't call the Lions secondary for mugging the Packer receivers. Yep, they are human. Yep they make mistakes. Sometimes it helps a team. Sometimes it hurts. It's a poor analogy, but I always taught the kids I coached that they should be playing so well it doesn't matter what the Refs call.

I'm still bugged by the blown call at AZ in the playoffs against the Pack. But truth be told, the Packers should have had that game in the bag by then. They didn't, so one call made the diff. In this game though, the Lions made enough mistakes that they added to their own undoing.

Latest posts