OFFICIAL Packers VS Lions - The Matt Flynn Game

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say this though, seems like lots of talking heads and fans have now jumped off the Packer bandwagon and on to the Saints bandwagon as if the Saints can't be beat and they've already got the NFC championship under their belts. All I will say is, the playoffs are not here yet, and this team still has time to make some adjustments and come together, and any Saints fan who doesn't think that the Packers can do it is a fool. (not directed at you Bogart)

If Saints fans think they're just gonna come up here and walk all over the Packers...well...there's still a lot of football to play.

Reaction score
It's a moot point. GB won't play NO in the playoffs, it is impossible because NO will get either #2 or #3, which means they cannot play in the divisional, and they cannot play each other in the conference championship because that would mean the Lions are eliminated, which cannot happen. ;)

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I will say this though, seems like lots of talking heads and fans have now jumped off the Packer bandwagon and on to the Saints bandwagon as if the Saints can't be beat and they've already got the NFC championship under their belts. All I will say is, the playoffs are not here yet, and this team still has time to make some adjustments and come together, and any Saints fan who doesn't think that the Packers can do it is a fool. (not directed at you Bogart)

If Saints fans think they're just gonna come up here and walk all over the Packers...well...there's still a lot of football to play.

Wait. You mean it's not over? The playoffs and Super Bowl winner has yet to be decided? *wipes sweat off forehead* This is
excellent news. I thought NO already won it all and was looking at draft prospects for the Packers already.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I've noticed that too, but as you say, the Saints' defense is doing well on stopping the run. Against the pass they are as bad as we are, so I don't think it will make much of a difference against the Packers. Will the Saints defense be able to stop Rodgers and the passing attack? I don't see it. The only way that the Saints have generated pressure on the QB is to blitz, which they do a lot especially on 3rd down. (like 70% of time?) Rodgers is one of the best at reading defenses. IF the Packer OL is playing well and they pick up the blitzes, Rodgers will smoke them.

I agree. Watching the Saints every week, you'll start notice as I do how they don't really counter the middle of the field. Their defense is designed to blitz and try to force the QB to make mistakes, but you will notice they never cover the middle of the field on short routes. They do cover it down the field, but you can easily run slants up the middle and burn the **** out of them if you do it correctly. I can see the Packers running the routes all down the middle, and keeping Jennings or Nelson to the right/left to throw them off in coverage.

That's always been the plague for Gregg Williams in N.O.. He can stop one thing, but can't stop the other. In 2009 he could shut down the passing game, but they struggled against the run. Last year, they were actually a top defense against the pass, and worked well against it, but then again they couldn't stop the run. Now their defense is improved to stop the run, but can't stop the pass lol, it's a win one loss one situation for those fellas lol

Fazeman

Setting The Pace
Reaction score
Big question will be the Packer defense. Will they, can they, how much will they improve? Pickett will be back, Desmond Bishop their #1 tackler is back. The chances for the Packer defense to improve are there. Will it be enough? Who knows.

I'll throw in deeper cleats for the DBs to control slipping and sliding.

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a moot point. GB won't play NO in the playoffs, it is impossible because NO will get either #2 or #3, which means they cannot play in the divisional, and they cannot play each other in the conference championship because that would mean the Lions are eliminated, which cannot happen. ;)

You'd better hope the Lions don't have to play the Saint, because they will get seriously thumped!

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. Watching the Saints every week, you'll start notice as I do how they don't really counter the middle of the field. Their defense is designed to blitz and try to force the QB to make mistakes, but you will notice they never cover the middle of the field on short routes. They do cover it down the field, but you can easily run slants up the middle and burn the **** out of them if you do it correctly. I can see the Packers running the routes all down the middle, and keeping Jennings or Nelson to the right/left to throw them off in coverage.

That's always been the plague for Gregg Williams in N.O.. He can stop one thing, but can't stop the other. In 2009 he could shut down the passing game, but they struggled against the run. Last year, they were actually a top defense against the pass, and worked well against it, but then again they couldn't stop the run. Now their defense is improved to stop the run, but can't stop the pass lol, it's a win one loss one situation for those fellas lol

This year it's been more like a win 12 lose 3 situation ;0)

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's plenty for the Packers to play for in this game. They won't be undefeated for the season but they can still go unbeaten for the first time in franchise history in their division and conference, as well as staying perfect at home and extending their 20 year home winning streak over the Lions.

Obviously injured players need to and will be held out but playing to avoid injuries is like playing to avoid losing as opposed to going out to win. It's usually a sure way to have exactly that happen.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a meaningless game though I would love it if the Packers swept the dirty playing Lions.
So well keep the Jaegermeister on the shelf for this one and open it for the first Packers playoff game instead.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score

The thing about the Saints is their defense. They can stop the run, but we don't know if they will stop the pass in the playoffs, that is what will be their Achilles heel.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
The thing about the Saints is their defense. They can stop the run, but we don't know if they will stop the pass in the playoffs, that is what will be their Achilles heel.

Can they really stop the run though? I remember before the Saints played the Titans reading that they were near the bottom of the league in giving up ypc on the ground.

In week 1 when the Packers did run it they did not have major issues getting yards either with the run.

I mean maybe the Saints have improved stopping the run but I won't put them near the top of the league there. They are not the Niners run defense or anything.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Can they really stop the run though? I remember before the Saints played the Titans reading that they were near the bottom of the league in giving up ypc on the ground.

In week 1 when the Packers did run it they did not have major issues getting yards either with the run.

I mean maybe the Saints have improved stopping the run but I won't put them near the top of the league there. They are not the Niners run defense or anything.

Since earlier this year they've done a better job at stopping the run. They held Tennessee below 50, they held Adrian Peterson to just 55 I believe (or 60, memory is blank here) and they held Atlanta to just 33 rushing yards total.

Nope, not like the Niners run defense but that's better numbers than earlier this season when they'd get run all over like the Tampa bay game.

Part of the Saints defensive issues is really an on going problem back when they won the Super Bowl. They can always shut down one thing, but can't shut down both. 2009, they were a great pass defense with turnovers and sacks, but they would give up lots of rushing yards. 2010, they were a top 10 pass defense and had some great games shutting down the pass (but not many turnovers) then again, they gave up lots of rushing yards. This year, they are finally doing something to stop the run, but they forgot how to defend the pass. They can fix one problem but never the other under Gregg Williams.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Since earlier this year they've done a better job at stopping the run. They held Tennessee below 50, they held Adrian Peterson to just 55 I believe (or 60, memory is blank here) and they held Atlanta to just 33 rushing yards total.

Nope, not like the Niners run defense but that's better numbers than earlier this season when they'd get run all over like the Tampa bay game.

Part of the Saints defensive issues is really an on going problem back when they won the Super Bowl. They can always shut down one thing, but can't shut down both. 2009, they were a great pass defense with turnovers and sacks, but they would give up lots of rushing yards. 2010, they were a top 10 pass defense and had some great games shutting down the pass (but not many turnovers) then again, they gave up lots of rushing yards. This year, they are finally doing something to stop the run, but they forgot how to defend the pass. They can fix one problem but never the other under Gregg Williams.

I remember in the SB the Colts could run the ball. Addai was getting good yards and some were saying if the Colts won the game Addai could have been MVP if he kept it up. Suprising since the Colts had not run that well all season, they could not do a thing with the run in the playoffs vs. the Jets/Ravens either. I also remember after the SB hearing Jeff Fisher say he talked to Sean Payton before the game and gave them tips since he knew the Colts so well. He said to let the Colts run the ball. They don't like to run so eventually they will get uncomfortable with it and go right back to passing it even if they shouldn't pass.

Jeff you freaking traitor.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Oh and Lions related.....well I don't know what to say. I am not even sure anyone truly knows how long the Packers play key starters. Sounds like Aaron kinda wants Flynn to have a shot to show his stuff too. I am not sure the Packers can win this game unless Aaron plays long enough to jump out to a large lead.

And honestly the Packers may not want to tip their hand to the Lions in case they are coming back in a few weeks. And it's not like the Pack can play to win to keep Detroit out. The Lions are already in.

hardyaf_lions

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, Lions fan here. All the other lions fans saying the Saints are a bigger scare are just wrong. Let's put it this way, we are are discussing this on the packers forum. There is a reason they are the only 14-2 (oops, 14-1) team in the NFL. They are clearly the best.

That having been said, I don't think the gap between these three teams is as big as the packers here claim it is (but hey, it's your forum, so that is to be expected). The fact is, the packers and saints both played the lions during Stafford's bad 3 game stretch. It's probably true that part of that is because of the teams they played. It's also definitely true that his finger was broken. That probably hurts one's ability to throw the ball. And it's no secret the lions can't run (but it's not like the packers or saints can defend the pass).

THAT having been said, the fact is both the saints and packers are elite, probably the best two teams in the NFL. However, I don't see any serious national ranker that doesn't put the lions in the top 7 (and I have them top 5). My rankings are Packers, Saints, Patriots, Niners, Lions, Steelers, Ravens. You can move lions down to 7 and adjust, but the point still stands, none of these teams are insanely better than the others. If the packers and lions played 10 times, I'd expect the packers to win 6-7 times (I think playing at home actually hurts the packers, since they can't run the ball worth a lick, and rodgers is a beast indoors). However, that means the lions would win 3-4. Factor in that GB will likely rest rodgers after 1-2 quarters to protect him from the lions pass rush, I would say lions win 8 of 10 of the week 17 games.

The main point of this essay (as it has turned out to be) is that the lions SHOULD win on sunday. If the teams rematch in playoffs, the packers should win, as the lions are still a year or two from peaking (remember, stafford is 23, aka younger than most of us) but I wouldn't like my chances if I was a team playing them. Remember, with Suh in the game, the packers have immensely struggled at moving the ball (if you all want to debate his durtiness OUTSIDE of the stomping incident, i'll oblige, but I don't think it's necessary) so I refuse to think you will score at will vs us. The packers offense is better than the lion's, but our defense is better. Should be fun, and I remember a certian 10-6 team last year that peeked at the right time with a hot QB and was very successful in the playoffs as a constant underdog...

(Minor edits at 12:41pm on Friday, Dec 30. Mostly grammar.)

hardyaf_lions

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, unrelated, but since we figure to be rivals for a while (you have no idea how elated that makes us to type that, and no I don't want to hear you smug response to it) is there anyway to remove the "Packers fan since ..." in my tag? I did a quick search but found nothing. I may have missed it. If there is no option, you may want to consider it, as you probably plan on being the class of the NFL for a while and will likely draw many opposing fans who don't want that. Likewise, I invite you all to our forums at motownsports.com (for all you brewers fans, many of us consider the brewers our favorite NL team...). Please don't delete this as advertising a site, I couldn't care less if you join or not, I just figured since many of us will probably join here, you'd probably want to see what we talk about too.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it just me or does this one sorta have similar feelings to a pre-season game?
The only differences is that the team roster is already set and stats matter.

Even so, I still want the Pack to win.
Just like I do for them in exhibition games.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hardyaf: I would also agree that the Lions are probably the strongest team behind GB, NO, SF, and NE. The Ravens I'm not sure of. The thing that makes this year so interesting is that no team is truly dominant.

Having said that one of the reasons I wouldn't pick the Lions to go far this year is not lack of talent but lack of experience. THis is their first playoff season in a long, long time.

Members online

Latest posts