OFFICIAL Packers vs Colts Thread

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very embarrassing performance today losing to a team of this caliber despite the injuries.
Poor job of preparing the team and adjusting the game plan with the injuries.
Poor job of inciting the team to step up after the injuries and to respond to adversity in the second half.
Guys like Woodson, Rodgers, and Saturday should be leading the team in a crisis.
Crosby has a great leg but is a proven choker. Ryan Longwell would have made at least one of those.

Nobody

Colts Fan
Reaction score
c'mon, this is a joke, isn't it? Loosing to the Colts after leading 21-3?

Somebody beat the **** out of the team, please?

This is ridicolous....

we're not struggling on offense, our defense is not worth being named as a defense.....30 Points given away to the COLTS?

C'mon, get real. Super Bowl? Not even the play-offs.

I'm totaly pissed.

You may not have noticed him, but the Colts have this guy named Luck.

Nobody

Colts Fan
Reaction score
What exactly was the call on Nick Perry's sack plus fumble recovery by the Packers, helmet to helmet or leading with crown of helmet? I just remember being furious and hearing personal foul, but I thought that was another garbage call that contributed to the L myself. Anyone else feel the same?
You can't lead with the crown of your helmet on a defenseless player. It was the right call.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They only got 6 in 2nd half....

Unacceptable for this off vs that def

I think some of the expectations for what this offense is capable of are a bit warped. Last year, our QB put together an MVP campaign, playing perhaps the most efficient football ever seen at that position. Despite the whispers (on this board) about regression to the mean, most seemed to take it for granted that we would boast one of the best offenses in the league going into this season. Welcome to the new normal: the offense is above average but not capable of carrying a poor to middling defense.

If our offense failed in the second half, it was in not keeping the sticks moving and the clock running. We're not well built to play with the lead.

However, given the defense's terrible showing in 2011 and the huge investment made on that side of the ball with our last draft, I think the lack of improvement there is the most discouraging these past couple weeks.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think some of the expectations for what this offense is capable of are a bit warped. Last year, our QB put together an MVP campaign, playing perhaps the most efficient football ever seen at that position. Despite the whispers (on this board) about regression to the mean, most seemed to take it for granted that we would boast one of the best offenses in the league going into this season. Welcome to the new normal: the offense is above average but not capable of carrying a poor to middling defense.

If our offense failed in the second half, it was in not keeping the sticks moving and the clock running. We're not well built to play with the lead.

However, given the defense's terrible showing in 2011 and the huge investment made on that side of the ball with our last draft, I think the lack of improvement there is the most discouraging these past couple weeks.

Who cares of last year..This iff should have scored at least 14 points in 2nd half

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't able to watch this game but recorded it. I went to an event but was keeping an eye on the score.
And then found out later they lost when I asked a fan in the area.
So I get home and don't even feel like watching it on the DVR. I erased it.
I hope no one blames me for doing that.
What would you have done?
Watched and taken lumps or "accidentally" erase?

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
I wasn't able to watch this game but recorded it. I went to an event but was keeping an eye on the score.
And then found out later they lost when I asked a fan in the area.
So I get home and don't even feel like watching it on the DVR. I erased it.
I hope no one blames me for doing that.
What would you have done?
Watched and taken lumps or "accidentally" erase?

You should have watch the 1st half and then.......

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who cares of last year..This iff should have scored at least 14 points in 2nd half

Well, I think you're kidding yourself to say your expectations aren't at least somewhat influenced by past experience. We're not putting up 40+ against teams like the Colts on a regular basis right now. The defense needs to step up; the front office made the investment on that side of the ball.

...And f*** the points, by the way: the offense need only make first downs and chew clock. Unfortunately, as stated above, we're not built that way...

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You should have watch the 1st half and then.......
Yeah, I know.
Though it would be like eating just half of the delicious pie piece and someone comes along and steals it.
Or watching a really awesome movie but then something bad happens to the dvd and it's the very last copy on earth.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Welcome to the new normal: the offense is above average but not capable of carrying a poor to middling defense.
The Packers offense is currently 18th in points per game scored and the defense is 14th in points per game surrendered so you should consider reassessing.

While this was a team loss, I place most of the blame for the second half collapse on the offense. The Packers had a 21-3 lead and received the KO at the start of the 3rd quarter and immediately turned it over in Packers territory. How would the game have proceeded had the O driven down and even kicked a FG? Or - God forbid! - scored a TD? Even if they had punted the Colts deep in their own territory? How many three-and-outs did they have in the second half? After Hayward grabbed what should have been a momentum changing INT, what did the O do? Yep, three-and-out. Of course the D shares responsibility. Tramon dropped two INTs not counting the one that was reversed. And IMO it is not Capers fault when he has Williams covering Wayne with safety help and Wayne still grabs the pass. While the coverage units were good, I don't remember Crosby missing a FG as badly as he did the last one. The bright spot of the game was Masthay's brilliant punting - how sad is that?
I think the D is improved and I think it's a little foolish to expect rookies to immediately boost the performance of a unit. IMO it's vets like Williams dropping INTs, Woodson's subpar play, and DJ Smith's poor coverage was more detrimental than the play of the rookies. Hell, imagine how well the D would be doing if the offense was even a semblance of itself last season - reverting to the mean under McCarthy would be a huge improvement at this point.

BTW, for a glimmer of hope, check out what McGinn has to say about Mike Neal in his review of the Colts game.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW, for a glimmer of hope, check out what McGinn has to say about Mike Neal in his review of the Colts game.

I couldn't find McGinn's comments but I trust his judgment more than any other Packer sportswriter. He notices things that others don't, and I believe it was he who warned during the pre-season that the Packers may not have the best of seasons, as everyone else seemed to predict.

If you could post those comments I'd like to read them, but I did see Neal getting a nice sack but I'm not sure how he did when he played the rest of the snaps. If he does come on strong and play up to the potential we hoped for, that would be a huge boost to our front 7.

I just wanted to add that, as I wrote elsewhere, I see a real lack of confidence from this team right now. I'm not sure they're "soft" as some have said, as much as they are tentative, especially Rodgers. He seems to have some confidence in himself, not just in his receivers or OL. Some plays he rushes, some plays he hesitates. He's lost his poise in the pocket. Part of that is our less-than-stellar OL. These things feed on one another.

Another point: it's time to stop believing that the Packers have one of the best receiving corps in the NFL. IMO they don't, period. Since he got injured in the 2nd half of last season, Jennings has been ineffective. Jordy Nelson has been shut down by DBs who have bumped him at the LOS and he has been unable to shake them. Finley is once again just too inconsistent with too many drops which disrupts the flow of the offense. Donald Driver is way past his prime. JJ has been the only bright spot, he and Randall Cobb, but Cobb has been under-utilized in the passing game.

As Bob McGinn wrote after the Indy game, no one fears the Packers anymore. They don't hammer anybody, and no one loses sleep over us having an MVP quarterback who picks a defense apart.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If you could post those comments I'd like to read them, but I did see Neal getting a nice sack but I'm not sure how he did when he played the rest of the snaps. If he does come on strong and play up to the potential we hoped for, that would be a huge boost to our front 7.
Mike Neal played 33 snaps and more than held his own. In fact, his 3 ½ pressures were more than any other D-lineman had come close to generating in the first four games. Neal showed burst to the passer on his sack, but it was mainly due to Clay Matthews wiping out LT Anthony Castonzo and LG Jeff Linkenbach on an end-tackle stunt. Dom Capers' hope is that Neal and rookie Jerel Worthy (52) provide more speed, quickness and athleticism in sub packages than B.J. Raji, Mike Daniels and some others.
Every week he grades each unit of the team. It usually appears two days after the game. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/underwhelming-play-4975869-173231521.html

Of course he adds we'll see if Neal can stay healthy and continue to produce. As the season goes on, I hope we see Neal's snaps increase while Wilson's decrease. I think he'd be better than Wilson at DE in base, But if Neal continues to add pressure in the passing D, that's more important.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers offense is currently 18th in points per game scored and the defense is 14th in points per game surrendered so you should consider reassessing.
Let's check back at the end of the season: Three of our five opponents thus far boast elite defenses. On the flip side, we haven't faced many potent offenses. I think your rankings reflect a very small, rather slanted sample at this point...

I think the D is improved and I think it's a little foolish to expect rookies to immediately boost the performance of a unit. IMO it's vets like Williams dropping INTs, Woodson's subpar play, and DJ Smith's poor coverage was more detrimental than the play of the rookies. Hell, imagine how well the D would be doing if the offense was even a semblance of itself last season - reverting to the mean under McCarthy would be a huge improvement at this point.
So the defense is improved but it's foolish to expect the rookies to boost the performance of the unit? -I suppose the defense couldn't play worse than it did last season, but I disagree with the statement that rookies can't be expected to improve the defensive unit from the get go.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rookies can have an impact. Look at what Watt and Reed both did for the Texas defense. Or take Von miller in Denver.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
So the defense is improved but it's foolish to expect the rookies to boost the performance of the unit?
It's a matter of degree. But I disagree with your characterization that up to this point the offense is above average and the defense is middling to poor. Right now, they're both middling.

Members online

Latest posts