OFFICIAL Packers @ 49ers - Divisional Round

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And that makes me go damn it..Maybe Dom shouldnt be faulted to much...He is trying to make chocolate souffle with a blow torch

It's frustrating because honestly, it was so close. It came down to "one guy" too often, but this is football. One guy not doing his job is enough. A crease forms and it's all over.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Really, you gave him a blowtorch? I got him a wet matchbook. If you can get a fire going you'll be good, but it gets a little hard to light.

souffles are picky arent they? Little movement makes them go flat??

Hey give me a break I tried :p

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It's frustrating because honestly, it was so close. It came down to "one guy" too often, but this is football. One guy not doing his job is enough. A crease forms and it's all over.

And most of the time that one guy was not a quality starter--jones...Mozes....Walden

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score

At least I can still be excited for the future of this team, Though in all honesty next year will probably be one of those window years for us with all the major contracts and minor cap space in 2014-15

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And most of the time that one guy was not a quality starter--jones...Mozes....Walden

Yup. Mozes I'll hold out on, he's young and might grow into a fine player. Walden and Zombo, I'm not digging.

Though now that I'm thinking about ILB, I'm suddenly wondering if it is actually an impact position. Ie, does having top talent there impact wins and loses? Who's the defensive equivalent of the fullback?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Yup. Mozes I'll hold out on, he's young and might grow into a fine player. Walden and Zombo, I'm not digging.

Though now that I'm thinking about ILB, I'm suddenly wondering if it is actually an impact position. Ie, does having top talent there impact wins and loses? Who's the defensive equivalent of the fullback?
ILB. It's thankless, hard work, but still important. Lead the team in tackles and still have people yell to fire you because you don't splash

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ILB. It's thankless, hard work, but still important. Lead the team in tackles and still have people yell to fire you because you don't splash

You sound like a Hawk supporter ;-) I still think we can upgrade him as well, but it's probably not as easy as I think it is.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
You sound like a Hawk supporter ;-) I still think we can upgrade him as well, but it's probably not as easy as I think it is.
Recently converted. He is upgradeable, but contract is an issue. His main problem is his coverage and how often he finds himself in it. He's a good gap stop if he hits the hole fast enough, and is a sure enough tackler to play cut off in the outside runs, but his main value is his brain and his health.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Recently converted. He is upgradeable, but contract is an issue. His main problem is his coverage and how often he finds himself in it. He's a good gap stop if he hits the hole fast enough, and is a sure enough tackler to play cut off in the outside runs, but his main value is his brain and his health.

Coverage and his inability to play off blocks. That drives me nuts.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me started. He's useless if somebody gets a hand on him.

The top ILBs as per DraftTek are:

Manti T'eo, ND
Alec Ogletree, GA
Kevin Minter, LSU
Nico Johnson, Ala

T'eo is out of reach. Ogletree's stock has apparently skyrocketed. Nico Johnson and Minter could be available in round 2. Minter seems like a beast.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
The top ILBs as per DraftTek are:

Manti T'eo, ND
Alec Ogletree, GA
Kevin Minter, LSU
Nico Johnson, Ala

T'eo is out of reach. Ogletree's stock has apparently skyrocketed. Nico Johnson and Minter could be available in round 2. Minter seems like a beast.
My sources are still working the tape, but Minter is quick. Johnson is less athletic and will benefit from a 3-4 ILB look.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Some friendly smack talk and banter is welcome!!! Lets see them try and shred our defense like cheese. :)
Aww come on.....I was joking with the guy. I said not nice with a huge smile on my face. I`m English and I DO NOT do any of my chat aggressively. This is the second time this week I`ve been misread and its wearing thin now.
Congratulations to the 49er fans out there, you`re team did a hell of a job. I hope you go all the way now and win it :)

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I was wrong. I never expected Kaepernick to outduel Rodgers. I thought after that pick-6, it was going to be a rout. Then the defense collapsed on that next drive and it was the same old Packers defense all over again.

The 49ers deserve to win it all. I hope they do win the Super Bowl so Steelers fans lose their bragging rights for most championships in the Super Bowl era.

The worst thing about this loss is that the Packers' window of opportunity probably just shut closed. You only get a short window of opportunity to win championships in this league, then you have to rebuild and try again. I get the feeling the Packers are going to take a step back next year and not contend at all. It's cyclical, unless you're the Patriots.

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM needed to go for it on 4th down seeing how we were down 14 points, he will have to live with that decision.

That was my one gripe with his play calling. That decision to go for it all and then punt was the end of the game for us. And why punt? I have had a gripe with MM's 3rd and short play calling in 4-down territory all season. And this was perhaps the most egregious case. Get the first down Mike McCarthy! I doubt it would have made a difference in the outcome but at least we still had a chance at that point.

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The worst thing about this loss is that the Packers' window of opportunity probably just shut closed. You only get a short window of opportunity to win championships in this league, then you have to rebuild and try again. I get the feeling the Packers are going to take a step back next year and not contend at all. It's cyclical, unless you're the Patriots.

Ted Thompson is the closest thing to Belicheat with respect to picking up bargains. With that in mind, I think we will be a contender just about each year, much like the Patriots. That is, of course, as long as we have a QB like Aaron Rodgers.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Ted Thompson is the closest thing to Belicheat with respect to picking up bargains. With that in mind, I think we will be a contender just about each year, much like the Patriots. That is, of course, as long as we have a QB like Aaron Rodgers.
And like the Pats over the past 10 years and the Packers for 10 years after Holmgren, how many championships? Always contending but not quite good enough to win it all. Always getting beat by the one year wonders.

aristotle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would you throw a bomb on 3rd and 8? And again on 3rd and 4 against a very good defense? I hate those calls. Play the short game against a good defense, keep their offense off the field. MM need to give up the play calling. Best weapons in the league and now we will lose at least Jennings. We need a stud pass rusher too.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
And like the Pats over the past 10 years and the Packers for 10 years after Holmgren, how many championships? Always contending but not quite good enough to win it all. Always getting beat by the one year wonders.

Yeah, am thinking the same. It seems to be a problem that the Packers are always good. Strange to even say that, eh? But, the reality is that we haven't gotten a high draft pick in years. Most of the top tier talent, especially the big guys who hold the lines the best, are gone in the top ten.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do you think this deserves its own thread? Why not post these sort of disorganized and wandering observations under one of the numerous threads discussing last night's game? I hate these sort of threads.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score

For some reason, your discussion on souffles got me wondering... Are we even working with the basic ingredients for a souffle in GB? Can Ted even make a souffle (blow torch or wet match, no matter) if he only has the makings for a pudding?

Let's compare GB draft picks versus SF. Not which round, but overall number. SF has had some pretty lean years lately, whereas the Packers have been nearly always drafting in the bottom half of each round. Looking at yesterday's starters:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Interesting. I actually was not aware that GB was starting TWO UDFAs as corners and six overall (versus only 1 on SF). Also, no wonder the SF defense is so amazing. Look at those low draft numbers for the backers and corners! And other than Sitton, their O-line draft positions are significantly lower than ours man-for-man. Even our WRs were drafted much later than theirs.

Amazing difference between the two talent pools.

Trying not to look whiny or making any excuses. Just looking at the facts for discussion.

In my opinion, Ted has been making souffle from the ingredients for chocolate pudding. Not too shabby.

Ninersrule1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a 49er fan and has been since I was born in the 80's. I will admit I hate the packers but that is mostly because we could never beat you guys in the 90's in the playoffs. I was at the game last night and I will say this, the Packer Fans that were there for the most part were very classy, they trash talked before the game and in the first half when it was still close score wise but then were pretty quiet after the game got out of hand a bit. It was a good game on both sides, I really felt the Packers came to play for the most part. I was worried going into the game because I know beating a team twice in one season is always difficult to do and I know you guys have a good team here. In the end you lost but I am sure your team will bounce back and be right back in the thick of things next year.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts