OFFICIAL Packers @ 49ers - Divisional Round

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Mrad, I won't argue any of your points. But, earlier this season, Matthews was used as a very effective spy. Yes, the pass rush is lowered, but I am surprised it wasn't tried. Also, it seemed that the packers had no idea how to handle the read option. Tackle the RB and Tackle the QB. instead, the packers were trying to guess who had the ball and ended up not tackling either.

That's basic, isn't it?

WhiteHouseOn3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking forward to (hopefully) getting some guys back next year- Perry, Bishop, DJ Smith, Worthy, Quarless, Saine.. the list goes on. We could only put so many bandages on our banged-up defense.

OP
OP
V

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard loss to take, we gave up nearly 200 untouched yards to a QB in a playoff game. To me that is not a personal issue, but regardless we lost and they were the much better team. MM needed to go for it on 4th down seeing how we were down 14 points, he will have to live with that decision. Hopefully TT finds some talent in the draft and there are major changes to the D in the offseason.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Hard loss to take, we gave up nearly 200 untouched yards to a QB in a playoff game. To me that is not a personal issue, but regardless we lost and they were the much better team. MM needed to go for it on 4th down seeing how we were down 14 points, he will have to live with that discussion for the entire offseason. Hopefully TT finds some talent in the draft and there are major changes to the D in the offseason.
Like the guys on IR? :barefoot:

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mrad, I won't argue any of your points. But, earlier this season, Matthews was used as a very effective spy. Yes, the pass rush is lowered, but I am surprised it wasn't tried. Also, it seemed that the packers had no idea how to handle the read option. Tackle the RB and Tackle the QB. instead, the packers were trying to guess who had the ball and ended up not tackling either.

That's basic, isn't it?

I've re-watched a few of the designed runs and I'm putting more and more blame on Jones and Walden. They looked lost on the touchdown in particular. Those guys do their job, and Kaepernick's damage is more controlled. Not a given the game changes, of course, but it helps.

On the broken pass plays, it's harder. He ran because the coverage was good and the pressure forced him to do something. Take Matthews out of the picture, and maybe he just picks us apart.

It's easy for us to talk about it, but I'm not sure we could have done differently. Nothing in a game exists in a vacuum.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I've re-watched a few of the designed runs and I'm putting more and more blame on Jones and Walden. They looked lost on the touchdown in particular. Those guys do their job, and Kaepernick's damage is more controlled. Not a given the game changes, of course, but it helps.

On the broken pass plays, it's harder. He ran because the coverage was good and the pressure forced him to do something. Take Matthews out of the picture, and maybe he just picks us apart.

It's easy for us to talk about it, but I'm not sure we could have done differently. Nothing in a game exists in a vacuum.
That was two plays. Clay whiffed a lot more

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like the guys on IR? :barefoot:

Yeah, Perry and Bishop would have helped today.

I hate calling for targeted positions in the draft, but a ILB or two might be nice. No idea if the right kind of guys even play in college anymore. Stupid spread offensives making it harder to project to the pros...

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay overplayed the RB and Kaep ran past him a few times

That's not necessarily the wrong the play though. If his job was the gap the RB went to or they were playing "high school option defense" aka "Tackle the quarterback, tackle the pitch man everytime," maybe he did the right thing.

I'm picking on the Jones/Walden combo, because neither runner was pursued and they didn't stay home. I can't see what, if anything, they did right.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
That's not necessarily the wrong the play though. If his job was the gap the RB went to or they were playing "high school option defense" aka "Tackle the quarterback, tackle the pitch man everytime," maybe he did the right thing.

I'm picking on the Jones/Walden combo, because neither runner was pursued and they didn't stay home. I can't see what, if anything, they did right.
Jones had his moment, but Walden got sucked in on most plays. Maybe they left the QB to the ILB's I dunno, but it didn't work, especially when the ILB were covering receivers.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones had his moment, but Walden got sucked in on most plays. Maybe they left the QB to the ILB's I dunno, but it didn't work, especially when the ILB were covering receivers.

That's just good scheme on the offense. Walden is a weaker point on our team and so is Jones. Jones did admirally for what he is, but we still need to upgrade OLB. Not surprising, it's an important position in the 3-4.

Back ILB, finding the right guy is tricky. They HAVE to be able to cover, but it would appear we need a little more thump. Guys that can do both are rare.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
That's just good scheme on the offense. Walden is a weaker point on our team and so is Jones. Jones did admirally for what he is, but we still need to upgrade OLB. Not surprising, it's an important position in the 3-4.

Back ILB, finding the right guy is tricky. They HAVE to be able to cover, but it would appear we need a little more thump. Guys that can do both are rare.
Keep in mind that both are backups, nothing more. Jones 2-3 string. Missing Perry

UGH ain't that the truth. Especially when you keep picking at the bottom. The guy needs to cover, but cannot hesitate. I almost want to try a FA. We really don't have any good cover men at ILB, Bishop is our best, and that's not saying much.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep in mind that both are backups, nothing more. Jones 2-3 string. Missing Perry

UGH ain't that the truth. Especially when you keep picking at the bottom. The guy needs to cover, but cannot hesitate. I almost want to try a FA. We really don't have any good cover men at ILB, Bishop is our best, and that's not saying much.

Drafting a good ILB in round 1 like Alec Ogletree wouldn't be such a bad idea. But then, we need some real help on the OL too.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Age old problem--good players don't hit free agency. If they're that valuable, teams find a way to keep them.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Drafting a good ILB in round 1 like Alec Ogletree wouldn't be such a bad idea. But then, we need some real help on the OL too.
Ogletree is too hesitant in the run game. The backs get downfield before he figures out what to do. Coverage can be taught, courage cannot.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We need some help yes, but not necessarily high-priced help. We will have 5 tackles on the roster to start camp adding no one--Newhouse, Bulaga, Sherrod, Barclay, and Datko. We're cutting at least 1 if not 2 of those guys. Interior guys are typically cheaper--Lang and Sitton both 4th rounders. Give us some younger, better versions of EDS in the 3rd round and later, and we should be fine.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Clay was faked at least twice that I saw..

To me thats not Doms fault....Thats players execution

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Age old problem--good players don't hit free agency. If they're that valuable, teams find a way to keep them.
Preach it. If the guys that know them best don't want them, there has to be a reason. How many teams get burnt in free agency every year? Driving up what we have to pay for our players, because they want to pick up another man's trash

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
We need some help yes, but not necessarily high-priced help. We will have 5 tackles on the roster to start camp adding no one--Newhouse, Bulaga, Sherrod, Barclay, and Datko. We're cutting at least 1 if not 2 of those guys. Interior guys are typically cheaper--Lang and Sitton both 4th rounders. Give us some younger, better versions of EDS in the 3rd round and later, and we should be fine.
It all depends on how much Ted likes this year's class. I remember wanting Brewster last year, but seems he wasn't worth the pick.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
And that makes me go damn it..Maybe Dom shouldnt be faulted to much...He is trying to make chocolate souffle with a blow torch
Really, you gave him a blowtorch? I got him a wet matchbook. If you can get a fire going you'll be good, but it gets a little hard to light.

Members online

Latest posts