OFFICIAL Packers @ 49ers - Divisional Round

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
The 49ers have only lost one game at home this year and they beat the Packers in Lambeau, which is no easy task, so I think they have a slight advantage.

It should be a good game and given the way the Packers have been playing lately, I am glad that they are coming to Candlestick rather than the other way around.

I'll see whoever among you has the chutzpah to travel to the Bayview on Saturday. :cool:
Falcons were also 7-1 at home in 2010 how did that work for them? Also before you say the packers were 4-4 on the road this year, we know that, they were 3-5 in 2010 then went 4-0 on the road to win the SB....

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Fin and Boykin Return to Practice, Nelson still absent, Cobb DNP too, but still "no injuries of a serious nature"

CandlestickBum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Falcons were also 7-1 at home in 2010 how did that work for them? Also before you say the packers were 4-4 on the road this year, we know that, they were 3-5 in 2010 then went 4-0 on the road to win the SB....

Homefield advantage is just that, an advantage, not some guarantee of victory. If I were a Packer's fan, I would be more worried about the fact that the 49ers played in four of the toughest visiting-team stadiums this year (Lambeau, Foxborough, the Superdome, and Safeco field) and came away with a win in three of them.

Plenty of teams lose at home, but nobody wants to play a must-win game on the road.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Fin and Boykin Return to Practice, Nelson still absent, Cobb DNP too, but still "no injuries of a serious nature"
Now I'm getting mixed reports:
DNP: Cobb, Boykin, Mcmiilian, Saturday, Nelson, Worthy

I'll just wait for official announcements

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Homefield advantage is just that, an advantage, not some guarantee of victory. If I were a Packer's fan, I would be more worried about the fact that the 49ers played in four of the toughest visiting-team stadiums this year (Lambeau, Foxborough, the Superdome, and Safeco field) and came away with a win in three of them.

Plenty of teams lose at home, but nobody wants to play a must-win game on the road.
I think that you shouldn't go assuming what people want or don't want to do. Obviously this situation is not my first choice, but I'm more concerned about the deplorable state of your field than I am about playing a "must win" game away from Lambeau.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I think that you shouldn't go assuming what people want or don't want to do. Obviously this situation is not my first choice, but I'm more concerned about the deplorable state of your field than I am about playing a "must win" game away from Lambeau.
What happened to bot getting the bye and home field advantage being a good thing? What happened to "sit back and watch the magic happen?"

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What happened to bot getting the bye and home field advantage being a good thing? What happened to "sit back and watch the magic happen?"
Hahaha it's still there. I also formed that opinion off the idea that the first and second seed rarely make it to the Super Bowl. Obviously I was misinformed about that. I think you should reread that last bit about me being more concerned about the state of their field than I am about the Packers playing playoff games away from Lambeau.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Hahaha it's still there. I also formed that opinion off the idea that the first and second seed rarely make it to the Super Bowl. Obviously I was misinformed about that. I think you should reread that last bit about me being more concerned about the state of their field than I am about the Packers playing playoff games away from Lambeau.
I read it, but I'm saying you wouldn't have to worry about it if we were at home.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They do, and they just enacted a 72 hour rule.
Well dang, those couple of rules are a lot less specific of a "rule" that I would like to see. Even the 72 hour rule is not enough imo. FedEx Field was in compliance with the rule and it was a crap field.

goldstandard333

49ers Fan
Reaction score
Yeah, the **** Giants.... they missed the playoffs this year and 2 years ago, but last year they squeeked in because they stole the game from Dallas last year at the end.... and then they **** both of us up.

Look at this: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nf...ting-nfl-predictions/?sct=hp_t12_a3&eref=sihp

49ers have 5 ALL-PRO's, including 4 on defense.
Packers have ZERO.

49ers should win this game 42-0.

Ultimately that's not going to matter if we can't slow down Rodgers. If the Niners slow down Rodgers and Kaep has a big game, we win. If it looks like the 4th qtr against the Patriots, you win. :sick:

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
The one thing about the bad field, both teams have to play on it.

CandlestickBum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ultimately that's not going to matter if we can't slow down Rodgers. If the Niners slow down Rodgers and Kaep has a big game, we win. If it looks like the 4th qtr against the Patriots, you win. :sick:

I would not be liking the 49ers chances as much if they had not gotten the 13 days of rest. If our defense is worn out and beat up, you get what happened in the second half of the Patriots game and up in Seattle.

The way San Francisco wins is by not getting behind and running out the clock, but that cannot happen if the defense cannot hang in there for the entire game. The 49ers held the Patriots to 3 points in the first half and then gave up 24 points in the final quarter. If the defense gets tired, Rodgers is easily good enough to put up 24 points in a single quarter.

One thing that Smith was good at was burning up the clock with short, accurate passes that kept the defense off the field. Kaepernick is more dynamic, which means that even with the 49ers conservative offensive play calling, offensive possessions tend to be shorter.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All the stats gurus are picking the 9ers (advanced NFL stats, Football Outsiders). 5th Down has the probability of a Green Bay win at 0.34--only Baltimore is a greater underdog. McCarthy thinks the greater the dog, the better the situation. So it looks to me like a Green Bay win 27-24. Rogers 24/30 for 310 yds and 3 TDs while being sacked "only" 3 times. Crosby continues his comeback with a 45 yarder with time running out. Defense intercepts CK 3 times to ensure the win. This is a direct message from above.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This is a pretty good article which talks about the first game matchup and some of what's changed since: "Packers try to avoid evening rush"
Of the 50 or so times Rodgers dropped back to throw in that game, more than half of his attempts were plays calling for him to get rid of the ball on rhythm after a short drop. Only about a dozen plays were designed rollouts or resulted in him buying time to find a receiver down the field.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-try-to-avoid-evening-rush-qq8a35r-186119261.html

The Packers only ran the ball 14 times - I expect that number to increase and I'm hoping for better than the 3.2 YPC they had in the first game. If the Packers rely on quick rhythm passes, ball security and YAC will obviously be very important. I wish Nelson were fully healthy (I think Cobb "just" has the flu) but can't complain considering how this season went.

The article is just talking about the offense. One change not mentioned is the 9er's offense won't have CB Jarrett Bush to pick on.

The Vegas line favors SF by 3 - that seems about right to me. Should be onehellofa game. BTW, I was disgusted by the field condition in Washington and hope we don't see a repeat. Contrast that with how well the field at Lambeau stood up last week - why don't teams like Washington and the 9ers install "Field Turf" (I believe that's the name o f it)? Can't be the cost...

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TJV: " why don't teams like Washington and the 9ers install "Field Turf" (I believe that's the name of it)? Can't be the cost..."

Good one.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
This is a pretty good article which talks about the first game matchup and some of what's changed since: "Packers try to avoid evening rush"http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-try-to-avoid-evening-rush-qq8a35r-186119261.html

The Packers only ran the ball 14 times - I expect that number to increase and I'm hoping for better than the 3.2 YPC they had in the first game. If the Packers rely on quick rhythm passes, ball security and YAC will obviously be very important. I wish Nelson were fully healthy (I think Cobb "just" has the flu) but can't complain considering how this season went.

The article is just talking about the offense. One change not mentioned is the 9er's offense won't have CB Jarrett Bush to pick on.

The Vegas line favors SF by 3 - that seems about right to me. Should be onehellofa game. BTW, I was disgusted by the field condition in Washington and hope we don't see a repeat. Contrast that with how well the field at Lambeau stood up last week - why don't teams like Washington and the 9ers install "Field Turf" (I believe that's the name o f it)? Can't be the cost...
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/e...michael-robinson-documents-shoddy-fedex-field

This is crazy, I really hope Candlestick isn't this bad

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It won't be. Not even close.

Its WAY overstated.

The field was resodded before the Cards game, but we were getting alot of rain so the field was under a tarp (IE, why the grass isn't completely green in photo on Pro Football Talk...grass needs sunlight).

The 'stick can get muddy sometimes in January so people can slip around a bit, but its NEVER like Fed-Ex was on sunday. It should be dry tho on Sat. Footing shouldn't be an issue at all.

Members online

Latest posts