OFFICIAL OFFSEASON GM TT & F/AS WATCH

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
F/AS WATCH

Browns trade Droughns to Giants; Griffith, in Oakland, leaves GB without a contract.
Fans reaction: "Unbelievable. Giants trade for Reuben Droughns"; "Griffith leaves GB without a contract: Amazing...."

http://nfl.aolsportsblog.com/

An Aging Cornerback Pays Green Bay A Visit Dan Benton

"Do I dare say that the Packers had a visit or are scheduling a visit? Each of the last two times I've done that; the player has gone off and signed with a different team within 24 hours. With that said, the Packers played host to veteran cornerback Tory James yesterday. According to PackersNews.com, the team is interested in bringing James to Green Bay as a back-up to Al Harris and Charles Woodson."

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
F/AS WATCH

all about da packers said:
Browns trade Droughns to Giants; Griffith, in Oakland, leaves GB without a contract.
Fans reaction: "Unbelievable. Giants trade for Reuben Droughns"; "Griffith leaves GB without a contract: Amazing...."

:wtf:

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

Griffith reached agreement with Oakland. As a steady forum fan said, "Speechless, really."

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WEEK REVIEW

TOP HAT'S week summary: Nate Clements/A. Franklin/T. Banta Cain/M. Lewis sign with 49ers, Martin/Porter sign with Dolphins, Graham/Henry/Bly sign with Broncos, Thomas/Welker sign with Patriots, Horn sign with Falcons, Brown sign with Bills, Johnson sign with Saints, Bills trade McGahee to Ravens, Carter/Garcia sign wtih Buccaneers, Jones trades to Jets, Grant/Kerney to Seahawks, Rhodes/Griffith agree with Raiders, McMichael sign with Rams.

TOP HAT'S week editorial: Fan tromadz says, "Ted thompson sucks"! I feel vindicated. JC had a point. JA must be embarrassed. Fans, please do continue to vote with comments. Monday is another day in the next week of F/As

:rubeyes: :rubeyes: :rubeyes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PREVIEW??

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2...tedURL=http://packers.scout.com/2/625395.html

Sydney Speaks! Let’s go for it, Ted! By Harry Sydney

If you think fans....are...miffed...the Green Bay Packers have been quiet in free agency, you're not the only one. PackerReport.com's Harry Sydney blows off some steam in his column today over the lack of aggressiveness by the Packers toward pursuing free agents.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FANS REACTIONS

http://packers.scout.com/2/625413.html Fans air their displeasures over lack of action by Packers in free agency

Ted, what’s the plan, anyway?

I am sure you are getting tired of us fans pestering you about what the Packers have been doing, or rather, not doing thus far since the free agency period opened. But, we just are really, really baffled out here and kind of wondering if there really is a plan to make this team better this year. Again, I am sure open to hearing what it might be if any of you have any thoughts on the matter at this point. We all know TE is a position of need - I just saw that McMichael was signing with the Rams - a huge opportunity missed there. Johnson signed with the Saints, Graham with the Broncos. Not much left, all I can see as a remote possibility is Jerramy Stevens. The draft is also TE poor. Will there be some better TE's released later? That is all I can figure.
Otherwise they go into the season with Franks and Lee as the TE's - no upgrade there, actually probably a downgrade. RB - Best back Green is lost. McGahee is traded to the Ravens (watch him shine there), Lewis signs on with Browns, Henry with Bronco's, etc, etc. Again, not much left. Oft injured Chris Brown - come on!! I do think there actually is a plan there and that is to pray Lynch falls to them in the draft. FB - Henderson is released. Brandon Miree is all that is left. They actually do bring a quality FA in in Griffith but no word on him signing or getting any offer. WR - another position of need and all they have done is sniff at Bennett before he signed on elsewhere. No more news on the Moss trade and actually now other teams seem to have popped onto the radar so if that trade isn't made they go into the season just as they ended last season - again no upgrade there.
Return game has needed an upgrade for a while now and the best ones out there are already signed on to other teams (Welker, Bethel Johnson, etc.). I know you all are preaching patience, that there is a plan, but we just don't see it and apparently neither do the many "experts" in the field as they have the Packers rated as one of the biggest losers thus far in free agency. I know it is all conjecture and opinion, but conjecture and opinion based on fact I would say. I am open to hearing anything at this point as to what the possible plan is if anyone can enlighten us.

Does Thompson think it’s his money?

I get that they couldn't afford to pay outrageous money into keep Green. But, I am with Harry with his thoughts about getting in the game. It's almost like he thinks it's his money. He's gambling thinking his 2 top draft choices will still be there ... a big gamble. Otherwise he's done nothing ... diddly squat! Here's my thinking: We have 32 vultures all swirling around. The 32 represent the teams in the NFL. Below we have one great big chicken filled with all the available players. 31 of the vultures swoop in for the kill and they start ripping and picking apart the chicken taking the players to bolster their team. 31 fly away when they've gotten their fill ..... and Ike? Oh, he's left with the wish bone!

Thompson wise for not overspending

Free agency is a week old and I am seeing all these teams offering some ridiculous amounts of money to players that haven't even made the Pro Bowl. What gives? I give a lot of credit to Ted Thompson for not following suit, and I am sure he's waiting for all the smoke to clear. One thing is for sure, he needs to find a veteran RB to fill in for the departed Green. The Texans way overpaid him. That's Sherman for you, putting his stamp on an aging offense. He did the same thing last year with Mike Flanagan. Anyways, I would like to see the Packers pick up a free agent RB (Chris Brown, perhaps). He's still young, and should be a good fit in the zone blocking. And then pair him up with Lynch in the backfield. Now for the Randy Moss deal, Thompson shouldn't give up more than a second round pick for him. Also, remember that Antonio Bryant is a free agent. He's fast and talented and under the right guidance his temper shouldn't be an issue, and he's younger than Moss. We need to look at TE's and safeties as well. I think Eric Johnson could be had, if he can stay healthy. Anyway, I look forward to the draft, and the free agent pickups.

Up in arms over lack of moves in free agency

What is Ted Thompson doing up there, "working on his golf game"?? Seems like every time I watch Sportscenter I see more of our players being signed away by other teams. I wonder who he looking at for our running game in ’07 now that Ahman Green is gone?? He's up there sitting on his butt while all the good free agents are being signed by other teams. I know he likes building a team through the draft, but all he is getting there is young, inexperienced players, and the Pack is already the youngest team in the league. What's going on up there????

Thompson needs to be more active in free agency

Just read your article about Ahman and how TT needs to start getting active. We know that Ted won't trade for McGahee from Buffalo and if the New York Giants don't trade for him, they could trade ahead of us for Lynch, which puts the Packers in the poor house. We cannot have another episode like in 1996 when Baltimore moved up ahead of us and snatched away Ray Lewis and then we got stuck with Jon Michels. So is TT putting all of his eggs in the Randy Moss basket? No doubt Moss will help the Pack light it up, but not without a running game. And if he is really serious about Randy, so are the Patriots (which have two 1st round selections). The only way that I see us getting Randy now and saving our 16th slot, is trading a 2nd or 3rd and moving Aaron Rodgers to Oakland. Obviously New England is gearing up for a run this season and the Pack is planning for the future. But when does the future become the present? Once again Harry, you are absolutely right, Ted needs to stop sitting on this hands and GET IN THE GAME.

Please, Ted, do something in free agency!

I think Ted Thompson is a big boob. He just sits there and waits instead of calling in free agents to come for a visit and talk and find those ones that are right for the Packers, but no, Ted is waiting for it to calm down and I think it is a big mistake. He could have had Bennett as a 3 WR but no, so Ted get off of your butt and bring in guys for a visit. But you can also bring in Wiggins. I think Joe Horn would have been a good fit for this team and, to me, I do remember what Randy Moss did, but I don't think he would be a virus to this team. I think Favre would get him involved in the offense, so please bring Randy Moss here, but if not him, then start doing something Ted because we as Packer fans want to see us win. I think you should try to trade for Plummer, too.

Letting Green sign with Texans is on Thompson

Well, good ole Ted Thompson has done it again. We lost another veteran, Ahman Green. The Packers certainly could have come up with a better offer even if Green is 30. Gaining 1,059 yards last season behind a so-called offensive line, in the middle, I thought was pretty good. He also adds experience. Granted, his best days are behind him and I think the press has over-reacted to his fumbles. How many times did my hero Jim Taylor fumble? It just happens. Yep, the Packers have certainly rewarded Green for his years of dedicated service and he really never was an outspoken problem playing in the shadows of Brett Favre. Many times he bailed out the offense. Even last season. The Packers have really changed since Thompson and I think its reputation in a business sense is for the worse. First, it was Mike Wahle, and now Green. Who knows, maybe even Javon Walker? I think a good one-on-one sensible meeting could have kept some of these players instead of stubbornness. Thompson should swallow some of his pride. Who knows, maybe he can come up with another Marquand Manuel. Ha! I am a diehard Packer fan and I do agree the team needs an overhaul. But, some good veteren leadership from some its core I think could have been retained.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DRAFT REVIEW: 2 YRS.

Fan says:

2005 draft -- there are 2 guys who were playing last year
Total of 11 picks and 6 players are no longer with team

2006 draft There are 4 guys who were playing last year
Total of 12 picks 2 players no longer with team

TT has drafted 23 players, 6 were playing full time and 8 were completely washed out in just 1-2 years. 9 guys are on the bubble . TT is able to get a lot of bodies in here by trading down but he has not gotten us a Lot of Premier players . We have ONE premier player out of 23 that he has drafted , aj hawk and 3 more who are serviceable . The rest are unknowns...great draft guru TT is no better than any other average GM . We certainly are not developing players like the premier clubs of this league. Those other clubs also bring in a whole lot of talent via trades and Free agency. Since we don't do this, we have fallen far behind compared to the top tier clubs of this league.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MONDAY: WEEK TWO COMING UP

I will let you know what I hear after black Friday.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SPEECHLESS

Patriots sign Stallworth to contract.

the deal -- which only guarantees one year -- gives Stallworth and the Patriots flexibility. Stallworth $3.6 million in 2007.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GM TT PERFORMANCE REVIEW & OFFICIAL F/AS WATCH

Stallworth and Welker as the weapons Brady needs?

Ehh, I'm skeptical.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: GM TT PERFORMANCE REVIEW & OFFICIAL F/AS WATCH

Stallworth and Welker as the weapons Brady needs?

Ehh, I'm skeptical.

Keep in mind New England's offense is all about spreading the football around. Neither will probably get 1,000 yards in that offense but they're certainly upgrades and they will certainly play a key role. Though I wouldn't pay Stallworth 11 million to play in the 2008 season. Good chance New England cuts him after this season.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MCCARTHY Q/A

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2...tedURL=http://packers.scout.com/2/625821.html

Mike McCarthy Q & A By T K

Coach gives updates on Favre, Rodgers, Lynch and tells of NASCAR experience in February to reporters at the team's annual Fan Fest

On how Brett Favre’s ankle rehab is going:

“He’s in constant communication with the training staff. I’ve talked with him yesterday. Everything is going good. We feel he’s ahead of schedule. He’s doing fine. He feels he could do a lot more than they’ve asked him to do. He hasn’t had any problems at all. I think he’s getting the stitches out in the next day our so. Everything is going good.”

On Aaron Rodgers and quarterbacks camp:

It’s important for Aaron and Ingle. It’s an excellent opportunity. It’s an excellent environment for them to get better with their familiarity with the scheme, the details of the scheme, the direction we’re going with the scheme. They’ll have access to the installations two times before they are even installed with anybody else. That’s important for the quarterback position, but the most important thing is the fundamental time. You don’t really have the time when you get into the practice structure with your football team to devote to the fundamentals of quarterback play. I’m a firm believer in it. I’ve had a lot of success with it in the past, and I think both guys will benefit from it.”

On how Aaron Rodgers is progressing?

“He’s ready to go, but Dr. (Patrick) McKenzie will draw a decision on that when he’s ready to go. He feels great. If you ask him, he’ll say he’s ready to go. His rehab in Chico (Calif.) has been very positive. I just don’t want to do anything that is going to create a setback.”

On his thoughts of younger players at tight end position:

“I look for Tory to take advantage of his opportunities in the off-season program and OTA’s. I feel he will be a contributor this year. Zac has the best hands on our football team. I need to find a way to get him involved. He needs to develop more in the weight room and work on his interior assignments as far as pass protection and things like that.”

On his thoughts on Marshawn Lynch:

“Good young prospect at Cal-Berkeley. I’ve had an opportunity to meet him twice now, so I think he has a very bright future.”

On team's off-season workout program, which begins March 19:

“The four months here is the most important time for our football team. The most progress we will make as a football team, in my opinion, will come in March, April, May and June.”

On if he is getting more down time this off-season and if that is important to him:

“I think down time is important. I’ve traveled a bit more than I like. I’m not a big fan of traveling. … I’m a fanatic of time management. It’s critical. I think you have to be very conscious of your staff. You can’t do too much. You really can’t. There’s always something to do in this business.
“It’s important to identify your plan, hit your targets each month, and I feel good about that. I don’t think we’re wasting time doing a bunch of studies that don’t fit what we’re going to do and things like that. I don’t see a lot of wasted time like that. “I’ve never enjoyed doing things twice, or if you’re working for a guy, do something and it never even gets looked at. There has been some of that in my past. Time management is important, and you’ve got to know when to cut it off. I don’t want people here till 10 o’clock at night during the off-season. If they are, there’s something wrong. I’m very pleased with the way the coordinators have pumped out the work. … If every off-season goes the way this one has, I’ll be very pleased.”

:twocents: :twocents:

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: GM TT PERFORMANCE REVIEW

I didn't vote. There was no option for "Wishing there was a competent GM available in the draft". :doh:

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WEEK REVIEW

1. Walker signing.

2. ProPacker view of early F/As offseason:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/03/11/mmqb/index.html

No deals, no problem Titans, Packers wisely keeping cool in free agency

Tennessee general manager Mike Reinfeldt sits in Nashville with $26.5 million in cap room not burning a hole in his pocket. Green Bay GM Ted Thompson does the same with $21.8 million to spend in northeast Wisconsin. And through the mayhem of the first 10 days of free agency, the two guys who run the football side of those teams -- coincidentally, former roommates with the Houston Oilers -- are gritting their teeth, watching money get spent foolishly in some cases, and waiting for the market to simmer down.
Bully for them. I mean that, wholeheartedly. NFL teams entered the free agency market on March 2 with an average of $14.95 million per club to spend. As of Sunday evening, team spending had reduced that number to $10.80 million per franchise. Tennessee and Green Bay have the second- and fourth-most cap money left, but what makes them different is that, unlike their peers in the high-cap-money neighborhood, they haven't signed a sole free agent from another team since the market's been open.
The other day, the front-office mentor of both Reinfeldt and Thompson, former Packers GM Ron Wolf, was in Green Bay for the team's annual Fan Fest. Wolf, sitting in Thompson's office discussing the state of the game, playfully chided him for his inaction. "I can't get him to do a deal!'' Wolf told me. "I just want him to do something.'' Then Wolf made it plain he wasn't serious. "This market's amazing," he said. "Al Johnson, what did he play last year? Seven plays? And he gets $7 million ... No, he didn't just play seven plays, but he didn't start. And the Vikings pay $7 million to [former backup Giants tight end Visanthe] Shiancoe? Amazing...."

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GM TT PERFORMANCE REVIEW & OFFICIAL F/AS WATCH

What is the point of this thread? Tophat wants a place to post every other article about why he thinks Thompson sucks because he hasn't signed any of the big names for the high dollars? Ah, Tophat, in case you weren't paying attention, TT's formula is building through the draft. I don't see the point of all of your regurgitated articles and what that might have to do with your poll. Btw, thanks for writing in all caps, it better allowed me to just not read most of what you posted.

Btw, as indicated by the poll results, most fans like TT, it's those who don't who make all the stink around here.

Thanks for summarizing everything I'd never want to read in one post.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OFFICIAL TT & F/AS WATCH

Like all fans, you are entitled to express a TT opinion about an ongoing offseason important watch for maybe BF's last season. Considering who I am in the public eye, your personal comments attacking an American famous icon are pointless, amusing, and laughable, especially about the upper case usage that I am limiting to headlines after previous requests to limit them. Lighten up, you only embarrass the Packer nation, although "NICE TRY", against a legendary citizen.

For an example of how pointless this previous post was, on another forum, the King article contrasted to the Clayton article, went on for five pages with 4000 reads and 90 replies supporting a positive view of the Packer position.

Further, fans, I add a comparative poll's final results, in line with the general conclusions of this poll, but having more votes:

I support Ted Thompson 100% 29%
I disagree with a few things, but in general agree 37%
I am un decided 5%
I agree with a few things, but in general disagree 17%
Fire Ted Thompson immediately 12%

As supporting evidence about my routine informative forum thread, many forums contain TT watches and polls in the offseason. Finally, a fan could make a case about many pointless, useless threads depending on one's opinion, but fans are entitled to express their opinions in a democratic forum.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
POLL OPTIONS

I didn't vote. There was no option for "Wishing there was a competent GM available in the draft". :doh:

GO PACK!!!

Hedley

Use the "Other: Comments" option.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: OFFICIAL TT & F/AS WATCH

Like all fans, you are entitled to express a TT opinion about an ongoing offseason important watch for maybe BF's last season. Considering who I am in the public eye, your personal comments attacking an American famous icon are pointless, amusing, and laughable, especially about the upper case usage that I am limiting to headlines after previous requests to limit them. Lighten up, you only embarrass the Packer nation, although "NICE TRY", against a legendary citizen.

For an example of how pointless this previous post was, on another forum, the King article contrasted to the Clayton article, went on for five pages with 4000 reads and 90 replies supporting a positive view of the Packer position.

Further, fans, I add a comparative poll's final results, in line with the general conclusions of this poll, but having more votes:

I support Ted Thompson 100% 29%
I disagree with a few things, but in general agree 37%
I am un decided 5%
I agree with a few things, but in general disagree 17%
Fire Ted Thompson immediately 12%

As supporting evidence about my routine informative forum thread, many forums contain TT watches and polls in the offseason. Finally, a fan could make a case about many pointless, useless threads depending on one's opinion, but fans are entitled to express their opinions in a democratic forum.

I looked you up pal, no famous Icon, citizen, or anything else other than self absorbed.

ICON:Main Entry: icon
Variant(s): also ikon /'I-"kän/
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, from Greek eikOn, from eikenai to resemble
1 : a usually pictorial representation : not you...
2 [Late Greek eikOn, from Greek] : a conventional religious image typically painted on a small wooden panel and used in the devotions of Eastern Christians (once again not ol'e Tophat)
3 : an object of uncritical devotion : IDOL Definately not!
4 : EMBLEM, SYMBOL <the house became an icon of 1960's residential architecture -- Paul Goldberger> Off base once more
5 a : a sign (as a word or graphic symbol) whose form suggests its meaning b : a graphic symbol on a computer display screen that usually suggests the type of object represented or the purpose of an available function hmmmm, can I see you with a smiley face on my desktop?

Now let's check and see if you fit the claim of being famous...
Main Entry: fa·mous
Pronunciation: 'fA-m&s
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin famosus, from fama fame
1 a : widely known b : honored for achievement (ahh, maybe...but does a few small towns count?)2 : EXCELLENT, FIRST-RATE <famous weather for a walk> (not exactly the use of the word these days...)

Tophat, the ony one I see that thinks you are famous is you. Please, you have good comments regarding the Packers but let's keep the personal promotion/conceit to a minimum.

Members online

Latest posts