OFFICIAL GREG JENNINGS TALK

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn’t misquote you, I used your words to illustrate what I see as your hypocrisy. You posted Tbone was presumptuous in explaining your decision making process and I used your phrasing to show you are being presumptuous in explaining Jennings’ decision making process. I thought that was clear as I used .. instead of .. and put it in italics.

Most people when given the choice between staying in their current job for less money vs. taking a similar job earning more money will opt for the latter, other things being equal. It looks to me that was Tbone’s point and your response seemed somewhat irrational IMO.

You apparently don’t know how negotiating works. Jennings and his agent, like every other intelligent bargainer, ask for more than they expect to make and the team offers less than they’re willing to pay. Calling either greedy or miserly is just silly IMO.

One last thing: The example of trying to get the best price for an item not being “greedy” is along the same lines as most people wanting to maximize their compensation. Adding “But relax NorthWestCheeseHead, I’m not accusing you of being a blatant “item seller”!” was a reference made in jest meant to point out your hypersensitivity about Tbone assuming you’re are like most people and would choose more pay for the same job rather than less. Whether or not you sell items online or otherwise misses the point.

My quip about not selling items online was meant in jest as well and intended to illustrate that you should stop trying to tell me about me before you know what I'm about. The italics was more of a clue, but I thought I saw the double quotes; obviously though, I was mistaken. I never claimed to be able to divulge GJ's decision making process..All I said was:
At this point I just want Jennings gone, and I don't care who he signs with. I just can't stand the blatant greed he is displaying currently.
I'm only talking about the attitude that I've seen him exemplify in interviews and articles written about the situation. I'm well aware of what Tbone was saying, and in my replies all I've ever contended is that he has no basis to be speaking for me in such a "matter of fact" manner. And the implication by him that I was in any way jealous of GJ and his pay checks was insulting. And really you guys balking over me labeling Gj "greedy" I find highly irrational mostly because the only thing y'all have used to refute my claims is to state that, 'I would do the same in his shoes', in essence.
As well, "all things being equal" was never stated in Tbone's post. Be that the case though, I still think that the example is only applicable as an academic thought exercise and not reflective of the real world. In life there are a slew of points to consider prior to accepting a job offer, even if the only difference is money - which would never be the case mind you. And your contention that it is how everyone handles their business is a pretty generalized notion, I don't think you have the credibility to speak on the behalf of 6 billion people or their motivations in their respective career advancement moves. And no, I've never spoke for Jennings. I've only ever talked about my perceptions of the situation, and how I felt about it.
I actually do understand how negotiating works, at least from an academic and theoretical standpoint. As for the practical I'm not so great at it, I think, so I don't really dabble in it all too much. However I wasn't calling GJ greedy over his initial asking price, I did so over his apparent lack of willingness to negotiate that figure down to something that was both palatable to GJ and the Packers Organization. In fact in almost, I can speak for all, of his interviews where Jennings was asked about his contract situation he always said something to the effect of: 'I'm going to make sure I get paid the most that I can.' Which all things being equal, your right about this, wouldn't really be exemplifying "greed" per-say. However, as money seems to be the single motivating factor that was driving Mr. Jennings in his search for greener pastures, and that all things are not the same between the Packers and Vikings organizations I'm not sure what else to label it. Maybe "rapacious" is a bit more apt, though the two terms are synonymous.

Valhalla Express

SKOL VIKINGS!
Reaction score
I'm happy Jennings is a Viking. He is the ONLY WR we have. lol Just having one WR will NOT take pressure off of AP running the ball. You have to have a QB to throw it to him. I know that Ponder and Cassel together don't equal one Rodgers.... or even his throwing arm. Hopefully though, having one good target will do something for the offense.

Prediction of Jennings 2013 Numbers - 72 Catches, 1051 yards and 6 TD's.

On a side note, I wish you guys would have picked up RB Jackson from STLO. I enjoy watching him run the ball. You have a few young RB's though that will hopefully step up to the plate this next season. Have fun watching the draft!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
NorthWestCheeseHead, IMO your posts display contradiction or confusion on this subject. For example: You posted how Jennings has “been told by multiple teams he’s asking far too much” when you had no idea how many teams he had serious negotiations with. You also pretend to know what his asking price was and that he “hasn’t budged on that figure”. Since he’s now signed it’s obvious you were wrong about his "not budging", right?. You say he apparently wasn’t willing to negotiate with the Packers but you have no idea whether or not it was Jennings’ agent or Thompson and Ball who wasn’t willing to negotiate. You also have no idea how close the reports were to being true and you don’t know how much guaranteed money the Packers were offering.

In one post you guessed the Packers offered him $10M/year over 4 or 5 years and then you posted because “he’s been crying about money all year long so I'm OK with sweetening the pot a bit.” ESPN and others are reporting Jennings signed a 5-year deal worth about $47.5M. He’s guaranteed $18M and most importantly the deal is reported to be worth $27M over the first three years of the contract. If those reports are true, while calling him greedy you apparently would have been fine with the Packers paying him more than he agreed to. Does that make Jennings no longer greedy or you foolish? Or both?

And BTW, after complaining (incorrectly) about being misquoted, you misquoted me. I did not post anything about “…how everyone handles their business”. I posted how “most” do. And look around the NFL, since that’s the subject of this discussion, players giving their current teams a home team discount is rare. Players accepting the highest bid offered is the norm. And look, we aren't even into the second week of the UFA period. Statements about how any player isn't budging in negotiations or is being greedy appear particularly foolish at this early stage.

Reaction score
UGH! :mad:
Man ... them viking fans sure know how to push some buttons - NFL Network with their Favre horn... ugh!
Forget this crap - I'm gonna vent on my GTA: San Andreas - GANG WARS - GROVE STREET 4LIfe!
Ballaz - boo! :mad:

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still trying to process this and I'll admit this one is tough to swallow. I kind of had the feeling at the end of last year that Greg Jennings had seen his last days as a Packer and I had come to terms with that but the Vikings? I have tremendous respect for Jennings, I still do Viking or not but it will be hard seeing him line up against us for Vikings games. Maybe it is an issue of he had to go where they would pay him what he was asking and the Vikings seem to have no problem with taking players from other teams who may be past or nearly past their prime.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you're curious, during the press conference to introduce Greg Jennings, he never mentioned once of helping them win a Super Bowl.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NorthWestCheeseHead, IMO your posts display contradiction or confusion on this subject.
I get that it's your opinion man. You don't have to put "IMO" at the top of all your posts, you are the one posting after all so it would be a sound conclusion to assume you post what you think. And generally I assume that people are opining and speaking from an anecdotal standpoint in the absence of cited sources.
For example: You posted how Jennings has “been told by multiple teams he’s asking far too much” when you had no idea how many teams he had serious negotiations with.
I didn't? Since when do you need to be in serious negotiations for a team to say that they're not interested because of the price tag?
You also pretend to know what his asking price...
As does the majority of the other posters in this thread. It's not like I just pulled those numbers out of thin air man. Why don't you go nit pick some of them. I'm starting to feel rather vexed by you.
...was and that he “ hasn't budged on that figure”. Since he’s now signed it’s obvious you were wrong about his "not budging", right?.
You say he apparently wasn't willing to negotiate with the Packers but you have no idea whether or not it was Jennings’ agent or Thompson and Ball who wasn't willing to negotiate. You also have no idea how close the reports were to being true and you don’t know how much guaranteed money the Packers were offering.
How does him signing have anything to his negotiations with the Packers? And no, I don't know for sure who was being the stick in the mud. But then again, I never claimed to have insider info or anything of the sort. Actually I suspect both were. Since the Packers offered him a contract at the same amount as the Franchise Tag, something that Jennings was adamant about being opposed to signing, I think it is a fair conclusion to think that the GJ camp were the ones not willing to move on the figure, at least initially.
In one post you guessed the Packers offered him $10M/year over 4 or 5 years and then you posted because “he’s been crying about money all year long so I'm OK with sweetening the pot a bit.” ESPN and others are reporting Jennings signed a 5-year deal worth about $47.5M. He’s guaranteed $18M and most importantly the deal is reported to be worth $27M over the first three years of the contract. If those reports are true, while calling him greedy you apparently would have been fine with the Packers paying him more than he agreed to. Does that make Jennings no longer greedy or you foolish? Or both?
I'm going with neither - I was fine with the $10 mil a year figure from the standpoint of the pot already having been sweetened. However all contract bs backloading, guaranteed, blah this, etc that aside the yearly breakdown of the $47.5 over 5 years would be $9.5 mil a year. All that makes me is incorrect on my impressions, but I've no issue in admitting to that.

And BTW, after complaining (incorrectly) about being misquoted, you misquoted me. I did not post anything about “…how everyone handles their business”. I posted how “most” do.
OK, so you're not speaking for 7 billion (updated population figures) but "most" still denotes more than half and I still contend that you don't have the credibility to speak for the motivations of over 3.5 billion people.
And look around the NFL, since that’s the subject of this discussion, players giving their current teams a home team discount is rare. Players accepting the highest bid offered is the norm.
True, but if money is the strongest driving force for signing somewhere isn't that the quintessential definition of greed? The want of perceived material wealth above all else?
And look, we aren't even into the second week of the UFA period. Statements about how any player isn't budging in negotiations or is being greedy appear particularly foolish at this early stage.

He already signed with another team guy, it isn't too early to talk about anything.

Valhalla Express

SKOL VIKINGS!
Reaction score
Vikings GM Rick Spielman has been trying to steer clear of big FA choices and like the Packers, build through the draft, but when your receiving corps are down to nothing, you cannot pass on a proven player and locker room leader like Jennings. It takes years to set up a team though the draft and very difficult to accomplish. The Packers have the best GM in football and one of the top front offices in all of professional sports. As for Jennings... I don't think Jennings is anywhere nearing the past of his prime. A groin injury, and I've had my share when I played football, can be very difficult to play through effectively and they heal much slower when aggravating the area when having to play.

In the end, it is a business. The Vikings offered him more money and that's what drives the owners and the players. Money.

I'm still trying to process this and I'll admit this one is tough to swallow. I kind of had the feeling at the end of last year that Greg Jennings had seen his last days as a Packer and I had come to terms with that but the Vikings? I have tremendous respect for Jennings, I still do Viking or not but it will be hard seeing him line up against us for Vikings games. Maybe it is an issue of he had to go where they would pay him what he was asking and the Vikings seem to have no problem with taking players from other teams who may be past or nearly past their prime.

H

HardRightEdge

Vikings GM Rick Spielman has been trying to steer clear of big FA choices and like the Packers, build through the draft, but when your receiving corps are down to nothing, you cannot pass on a proven player and locker room leader like Jennings. It takes years to set up a team though the draft and very difficult to accomplish. The Packers have the best GM in football and one of the top front offices in all of professional sports. As for Jennings... I don't think Jennings is anywhere nearing the past of his prime. A groin injury, and I've had my share when I played football, can be very difficult to play through effectively and they heal much slower when aggravating the area when having to play.

The Vikings offered him more money and that's what drives the owners and the players. Money.

It is my observation that human beings are driven by air, water, food, shelter, sex and money, in that order. Some would argue the last two should be flipped.

APGu28

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A couple of things I am shocked by:

1. People mad at Jennings for leaving. He wanted a contract, a place where he would fit in, and he wanted to play. Players leave teams all the time. It is just the business. If the Packers are allowed to cut Woodson (rightfully so), then Jennings can sign elsewhere.

2. Why are people talking about the length of the contract so much? That means nothing in the NFL. All that really matters is the guaranteed money. As we have seen with Woodson or Hawk, there are ways to work the money down.

It was a great move by the Vikings. They had the cap space and needed a go to wide receiver. I think Jennings is still that. His hands and his cutting ability will allow him to play for a long time. He is much better than Welker.

And the Vikings are better with Jennings than Harvin. Harvin is an outstanding player, but he isn't a go to type receiver. Of course he brings the return aspect as well, but Sherels is good enough to fill that and Jarius Wright showed that he can fill that Percy role in the passing game well enough at least.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a rumor that Spielman is petitioning the league to allow Jennings to use a first baseman's mitt to allow him to catch Ponder's overthrows and underthrows. No word from the league as of yet.

Purplepeopleeater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have always liked Jennings. I am glad to see that crybaby Harvin go. We got a lot for him. Now we just need to draft another good WR prospect, and our offense will be on a better track. Barroooo.

Purplepeopleeater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I am Greg Jennings I certainly would not want to go play for a team who's best option at QB is the inconsistent Mr Ponder, and only one injury away from Joe " I throw the ball into the dirt" Webb. At his age this could be his last long term deal spending it in a dome might be nice but I'd like to think he'd rather have #12 throwing him the ball.

All that being said, I still don't think he is willing to come down to a number the Packers can agree with. Tough situation for him and the organization.
Ponder is pretty consistent in not getting intercepted. This year, he will be consistent in hitting Jennings. I think he is going to enjoy the way defenses have to key on AP, and he's going to be open often.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ponder is pretty consistent in not getting intercepted. This year, he will be consistent in hitting Jennings. I think he is going to enjoy the way defenses have to key on AP, and he's going to be open often.

He has thrown 31 TDs to 25 INT. I'd say that's pretty consistent at getting intercepted. Almost nearly as consistent as he is at throwing TDs.

One thing about Greg Jennings here in GB, he was never a guy left out on an island with a teams best CB. As long as he has been here the Packers have had the weapons to move everyone all over the place to create match up problems. In Minnesota he will be the only credible receiving threat and for the first time in his career not catching balls from one of the best in the league. I'm not saying he cant be productive, I'm just saying he didn't choose the situation that was going to put him in the best position he could be to win a championship. He did choose the situation that was going to bring him the most money. It is a business after-all.

Even if you hate the Packers and cant take of the Purple and Yellow shades for a minute to realize Gb has a better chance at winning a Super Bowl than the Vikings you certainly can agree that Tom Brady and the Pats have an equal or better shot than the Vikings. Another team who offered a contract but didn't throw piles of money at him

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm happy Jennings is a Viking. He is the ONLY WR we have. lol Just having one WR will NOT take pressure off of AP running the ball. You have to have a QB to throw it to him. I know that Ponder and Cassel together don't equal one Rodgers.... or even his throwing arm. Hopefully though, having one good target will do something for the offense.

Prediction of Jennings 2013 Numbers - 72 Catches, 1051 yards and 6 TD's.

I think you hit the nail on the head. 1 WR does not make a WR corps. I expect MN to snag another WR in the draft but still its a crap shoot.

I think that is a pretty realistic exception from him if he has a healthy season. And I think that is why he wasn't going to be a fit here any more. The packers already have 3 guys who can put up those kinds of numbers or better. Not to mention their salaries combined are right around what Greg snagged per year from you guys.

One thing is for certain its a long ways until September and even longer until next Feb. Only Time will tell.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care that he got a big contract and I'm glad the Packers didn't give it to him. Enjoy your life in purgatory Greg! :)

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
He has thrown 31 TDs to 25 INT. I'd say that's pretty consistent at getting intercepted. Almost nearly as consistent as he is at throwing TDs.

One thing about Greg Jennings here in GB, he was never a guy left out on an island with a teams best CB. As long as he has been here the Packers have had the weapons to move everyone all over the place to create match up problems. In Minnesota he will be the only credible receiving threat and for the first time in his career not catching balls from one of the best in the league. I'm not saying he cant be productive, I'm just saying he didn't choose the situation that was going to put him in the best position he could be to win a championship. He did choose the situation that was going to bring him the most money. It is a business after-all.

Even if you hate the Packers and cant take of the Purple and Yellow shades for a minute to realize Gb has a better chance at winning a Super Bowl than the Vikings you certainly can agree that Tom Brady and the Pats have an equal or better shot than the Vikings. Another team who offered a contract but didn't throw piles of money at him
Glad you think that. Not like MN hasn't drafted anyone the last few year. Wright? Nah he's not going to be any good. Simpson is a nobody, so what if he had a good year in 2011. While not top of the line I think they may surprise some people. That is of course all depends on Ponder.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

what was his excuse last season?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ponder had a low interception rate because he had one of the worst yards per attempt of any starting quarterback in the league. Ponder ranked #31 in the NFL with 6.08 yards per attempt... falling between Mark Sanchez and Blaine Gabbert!

Hard to get intercepted on check downs!

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have always liked Jennings. I am glad to see that crybaby Harvin go. We got a lot for him. Now we just need to draft another good WR prospect, and our offense will be....
You mean like the 2005 Draft when you took speedster Troy Williamson at #7, later Erasmus James at #18, when Rodgers and DeMarcus Ware were there? Coulda had both guys that draft.

Latest posts