OFFICIAL GREG JENNINGS TALK

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
One of the negatives of winning is that EVERYONE wants the big bucks at the same time. What the young bucks who complain year in and year out about TT not signing expensive free agents forget is that the Pack may have $121M in reserves, but how does that compare to billionaire owners? Going nuts in free agency is pocket change to a guy like the wazzizname in Atlanta - he's got Home Depot to keep generating his ability to buy players. The second issue is that the only way to have a ton in cap space is to NOT pay anyone over an extended period of time ... and SUCK in the process. Case in point... 9'ers and Seahawks. Their fun and frolic will come home to roost soon enough ... and probably before they can win a Super Bowl.

Congratulations to Jennings. He got his ring, now he wants to maximize his earning potential....it is after all, a job to these guys. One that pays gross amounts of money to some pretty intellectually challenged men, but... it is a job.

Like the others that have left Green Bay for the Land of 10,000 Excuses ... I can now be indifferent to how well he does going forward. He's not a Packer anymore. #18 displayed that the Pack can do quite nicely without the former #85.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So then why are you mad at TT that he signed with Minnesota?

Actually i'm not..i'm mad because....

we still need a LT

we still need a safety

we still need a solid backup qb

we still need a olb

we still need a DE

We still need a rb

That's it tho, and none of that has to do with Jennings. There is help to be had and TT is waiting on scraps, that's why i'm mad:tup:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually i'm not..i'm mad because....

we still need a LT

we still need a safety

we still need a solid backup qb

we still need a olb

we still need a DE

We still need a rb

That's it tho, and none of that has to do with Jennings. There is help to be had and TT is waiting on scraps, that's why i'm mad:tup:

It's March 15th. Free agency is 3 days old and the draft is 6 weeks away. Your profile states that you've been a Packer fan since 1990. So obviously, you've been a fan throughout the Ted Thompson years. This is his 9th year as GM. Why would you be even remotely surprised or appalled that at this point in the offseason, we have not signed a LT, safety, backup QB, OLB, DE, or RB?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With $18M guaranteed. No thanks.

Jennings gets 5/47.5M and Welker gets 2/12M.

Welker is 2 years older, less injury prone, and more productive, explain that to me.

I should disclaim that by noting that I'm not saying I'd rather have Welker than Jennings, just that the disparity between the 2 isn't that great for that big of a contract difference.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the negatives of winning is that EVERYONE wants the big bucks at the same time. What the young bucks who complain year in and year out about TT not signing expensive free agents forget is that the Pack may have $121M in reserves, but how does that compare to billionaire owners? Going nuts in free agency is pocket change to a guy like the wazzizname in Atlanta - he's got Home Depot to keep generating his ability to buy players. The second issue is that the only way to have a ton in cap space is to NOT pay anyone over an extended period of time ... and SUCK in the process. Case in point... 9'ers and Seahawks. Their fun and frolic will come home to roost soon enough ... and probably before they can win a Super Bowl.

Congratulations to Jennings. He got his ring, now he wants to maximize his earning potential....it is after all, a job to these guys. One that pays gross amounts of money to some pretty intellectually challenged men, but... it is a job.

Like the others that have left Green Bay for the Land of 10,000 Excuses ... I can now be indifferent to how well he does going forward. He's not a Packer anymore. #18 displayed that the Pack can do quite nicely without the former #85.

Can #18 rush the passer or protect Rodgers blindside?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's March 15th. Free agency is 3 days old and the draft is 6 weeks away. Your profile states that you've been a Packer fan since 1990. So obviously, you've been a fan throughout the Ted Thompson years. This is his 9th year as GM. Why would you be even remotely surprised or appalled that at this point in the offseason, we have not signed a LT, safety, backup QB, OLB, DE, or RB?

The sad thing is i'm not. Maybe it's just me but you have to take it personal when you get embarassed two yr's in a row to end a season..idk maybe it's just me. If i'm an owner or GM im adding or subtracting to improve my team.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The sad thing is i'm not. Maybe it's just me but you have to take it personal when you get embarassed two yr's in a row to end a season..idk maybe it's just me. If i'm an owner or GM im adding or subtracting to improve my team.

The thing is, there are 31 teams out of 32 that are disappointed at the end of an NFL season. No matter what you do, the odds are great that you're going to be one of those teams. The best you can do is try to give yourself a chance every year, which we do.

You can be the best team on paper in March, and it doesn't matter. Ask the Eagles how that worked out for them. Now they're in a mess worse than where they were 2 years ago. You can't build an NFL team like you build a fantasy football team. Team chemistry still matters in the NFL, it doesn't matter in fantasy.

As for your specific position concerns:

LT - They have already discussed moving Bulaga to LT. Sherrod was a 1st rounder and should finally be fully healthy. May be addressed through the draft as well. There are options.

S - Jennings and McMillian did as well as could have been expected last year, and it's entirely possible one takes a big leap this year. Still may be addressed through FA or draft.

Backup QB - Who? If Rodgers goes down, do you really think a guy like Jason Campbell is going to save us? Do you think he could even adequately pick up the offense by then?

OLB - They have a lot invested in Nick Perry and he did show some promise before going down. He will get every chance to be the guy, as well he should. He certainly has the physical tools and you don't give up on your 1st round pick after a few games.

DE - Will most likely be addressed through the draft. A lot of big fat men in this draft. It's a long shot, but if Jolly can still show some relative skills, he could be some nice depth.

RB - Harris showed nothing but promise, even against defenses like the 49ers. I would like to see them add a power back, but they could sign Benson for the minimum and still go into this season better off with Benson/Harris than they were going into last season. There's still some guys out there -- Turner, Bradshaw, Hillis...etc. Even if they don't, we are a pass-first team, always will be. We didn't win the Super Bowl in 2010 on a running game. Truth be told, we haven't had a consistent running game since Ahman Green.

Even if some of these positions are still question marks going into the season -- there isn't a team out there that can ever say they are "set" at every position and have absolutely no need of upgrades. There aren't enough financial resources to do so, and even if there were, there are no guarantees. You can't plan for injuries or disappointment. You do the best you can and try to put yourself in the best position to win year after year. Thompson is doing that and always has. He isn't relaxing at his house until the draft like so many people envision him doing.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't blame Ted for going after Jennings with a serious effort. For 2 years he hasn't our #1 guy. At this point he is our #3 guy. I'm not paying a #3 big money. Sorry but well draft his replacement.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll take our top 3 WR's right now over anyone else's top 3. We're fine at WR.

Jennings was CHECKED OUT long ago.
He was planning on leaving.
I said it to many people.
His sister didn't just make all that **** up.
He thought he'd get the Wallace money from Miami, and Philbin DID want him, but their ownership wanted the younger player, and faster player, in Wallace.

Jennings lied when he said he was going to factor in the QB as a main factor. He said that when he thought he'd have 5+ teams wining & dining him.

He ended up taking the max money possible, and he was lucky Harvin got traded away, or else he'd have had to come back to the Packers and just be one of four great WR's.

Now, here's what has to happen. AJ Hawk already restructured.
Now we need to get Finley restructured & extended, or else let him go where we can replace him.

And we need to quickly give Matthews a new mega deal, and Rodgers.

Then the White Ghost will know what kinda $ he has to play with in the 2nd & 3rd waves of free agency, when he sometimes is a bargain shopper. Getting 12 & 52's deals done will let him know if he has to shop at the Goodwill store, Big Lots, or the Dollar General. Or if he has enough money to make a purchase at Montgomery Wards.
ThanksJackVan and I might be the only guys here who know what the hell Monkey Wards is (was) !

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings wanted to be "The guy." In Minnesota, he's gets to be "The guy." With us, he doesn't. We have too much talent and depth at the position, so with us he was "Just another guy."

Reaction score
With $18M guaranteed. No thanks.

Jennings gets 5/47.5M and Welker gets 2/12M.

Welker is 2 years older, less injury prone, and more productive, explain that to me.

I should disclaim that by noting that I'm not saying I'd rather have Welker than Jennings, just that the disparity between the 2 isn't that great for that big of a contract difference.
Welker was 2nd in drops last season and had the most drops by a receiver in a postseason since 2008. That's a pretty good explanation

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The bold is highlighting where you misquoted me. And the following is both what I wrote and what you correctly quoted in the quote box:
I didn’t misquote you, I used your words to illustrate what I see as your hypocrisy. You posted Tbone was presumptuous in explaining your decision making process and I used your phrasing to show you are being presumptuous in explaining Jennings’ decision making process. I thought that was clear as I used .. instead of .. and put it in italics.

Most people when given the choice between staying in their current job for less money vs. taking a similar job earning more money will opt for the latter, other things being equal. It looks to me that was Tbone’s point and your response seemed somewhat irrational IMO.

You apparently don’t know how negotiating works. Jennings and his agent, like every other intelligent bargainer, ask for more than they expect to make and the team offers less than they’re willing to pay. Calling either greedy or miserly is just silly IMO.

One last thing: The example of trying to get the best price for an item not being “greedy” is along the same lines as most people wanting to maximize their compensation. Adding “But relax NorthWestCheeseHead, I’m not accusing you of being a blatant “item seller”!” was a reference made in jest meant to point out your hypersensitivity about Tbone assuming you’re are like most people and would choose more pay for the same job rather than less. Whether or not you sell items online or otherwise misses the point.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welker was 2nd in drops last season and had the most drops by a receiver in a postseason since 2008. That's a pretty good explanation

Thats not an explanation for the disparity. When you get thrown at as much as he does, hes going to be higher than comparable receivers in drops. He had 3 times as many catches as Jennings.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
?? Read he didnt restructure it
n Friday, according to Rob Demovsky of the Green Bay Press-Gazette and others, the Packers restructured the contract of linebacker A.J. Hawk. The last remaining decision lies with tight end Jermichael Finley, who is due a roster bonus of about $3 million at the end of this month and is currently counting $8.75 million against the cap.

We don't know the details of Hawk's new contract, but there is a pretty good chance it included a pay cut to help reduce a 2013 cap number that had been $7.05 million. Hawk had been scheduled to earn $5.45 million in cash this season, but it's only fair to point out that he earned $15.9 million over the first two years of a contract he signed just before the 2011 lockout began.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think that tonight or tomorrow morning, after all the excitement has died down, Jennings will sit there and think "how did I got from $10M/year and Aaron Rodgers as my quarterback to my current contract and Christian Ponder/Matt Cassel"? I really hope he is happy with Ponder bouncing passes into his ankles. He won't see another Pro Bowl or 1,000 yard season again.

true that. I haven't seen what the Pack's final offer to him was, but i can't imagine the difference was so great that he'd be willing to try to catch passes from 2 QB's who have shown their ability to go "full retard" on the football field.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
"Restructuring" can mean a player agreeing to change his contract to free up cap space for the team but not accept less money the orginal deal called for. If the change Hawk agreed to just turned some of his future compensation into a bonus this season whose cap consequences could be prorated over several years, that would be a restructure, but not a pay cut. So while Hawk's deal was technically restructured it was a pay cut.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He's also the only player in NFL history to have 3 seasons of 110 catches or more (Welker has 5)... That includes 118 catches last year.

Jennings career high for receptions is 80... Jennings caught 45 balls last year

Reaction score
Thats not an explanation for the disparity. When you get thrown at as much as he does, hes going to be higher than comparable receivers in drops. He had 3 times as many catches as Jennings.
Many analysts are speculating that Belichick did this for that reason. Not me

Members online

Latest posts