Official Game Day Thread: Super Bowl XLV - Packers vs. Steelers - 2/6: WIN 31 - 25

Hoosier

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to download that meaningless game of the 5th seeded Saints beating the Steelers and watch to see if the Packers can attack the Steelers the same way, I'm VERY curious now...since now selective games are meaningless this season according to some guy

Meaningless game...at the time the game was played, it had no playoff implications for the Patriots...and they won anyway.

The Patriots have our number...just like the Lions have yours.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
I'm going to download that meaningless game of the 5th seeded Saints beating the Steelers and watch to see if the Packers can attack the Steelers the same way, I'm VERY curious now...since now selective games are meaningless this season according to some guy

The Packers played their best in that game, as did the Pats. Bottom line. To say that the game was "meaningless" for New England is nothing but a stupid argument to try and denigrate the Packers.

Hoosier

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#1...Did you see the NE Pack game? If not Rodgers didnt play.and we were 20 yards short to beat them

#2...Did you watch any of the Packers playoff games? If you did and not just read the stats you would know we gave up 30 more yards then the Ravens rushing...In ONE LESS GAME...Vs the #1, #5 and #9 rushing teams in the NFC.

So yeah our D rushing sucks eh?

Go ahead look into and then come back and say opps

So yeah keep looking at the regular season stats makes you look so aware of our team

:biggrin:

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
Meaningless game...at the time the game was played, it had no playoff implications for the Patriots...and they won anyway.

We didn't clinch the division until the following week against Buffalo- up until then, we needed every win to make sure the Jets didn't have a shot at the division.

Sure, we had clinched a playoff appearance already, but the difference between being a division winner and #1 seed, and being a wildcard 5th or 6th seed is huge. THAT was what was potentially at stake in that Packers game.

Just for the record.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

OOOO lord??

last year won 1st lost 2nd, maybe having Rodgers out for most of game had something to do with it?

09 we won both

08 won both

07 won both

your fun to debate with...cuz you know nothing about the PAck

Are you getting tired of being showed how ignorant you are when it comes to the Pack?

Cuz isnt getting old showing you how ignorant you are

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score

Wow. I can't tell who you're trying to insult more with that statement - the Patriots, or us.

Bubby Brister

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting thread going on here. Not quite sure how I even came across it. I do want to say that, as a Steelers fan, I respect the Packers in the utmost way possible. Aaron Rodgers is probably my favorite QB in the league outside of Big Ben and I'm not sure if there's a player on the roster I even have the slightest dislike for. Amazing fans, amazing history... if I wasn't allowed to be a Steelers fan, I'd probably become a Pack fan. Can't wait for this show to start in 6 days.

All (genuine) brown-nosing aside, I felt the need to post to clear up a misconception I've been seeing tossed around these parts. Just wanted to shed some light on the idea that Rodgers can dissect this defense like Tom Brady and (albeit to a much lesser extent) Drew Brees did this season.

A read you may find interesting (remove the space and change "dot" to ".") tinyurl[dot]com/35arhgh

Indeed, the Steelers pass D went from 24th through the first 9 games to 1st for the final 7.

Top 5 Pass Defenses From Week 10 to Week 17

1 PIT 1155
2 SDG 1178
3 GNB 1201
4 BUF 1211
5 ARI 1230

It's not going to be as easy as it may seem. This isn't the same defense Tom Brady carved up and it's certainly not the same one that Rodgers saw last December. It should be interesting to see how he performs against this squad.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Rodgers was knocked out in the 2nd QTR of that game, the game ended 3-7 Lions...same team that almost SWEPT the bears, nearly cameback against the Giants, should have beat the Eagles

BTW

Steelers Moments of Grossness this seasons

Steelers were Garbo against the Bills & Dolphins

Put up 10 points against the Saints

got a 40 points of Dominance by the Pats (but when we play the Pats, the Bellichick coached Pats don't try as hard, are you kidding me? C'mon dude, your making ZERO sense)

The QB's the Steelers have faced so Far were

Matt Ryan-Pro Bowler...meh, he's on the up
Vince Young-Garbage
Josh Freeman-up and comer, 2nd year QB
Flacco- great arm, but meh...you lost
McCoy or Seneca Wallace...not sure which, but still...meh
Chad Henne...garbo...you should've lost
Drew Brees...great QB...you lost
Palmer...meh, needs a new team
Brady...Great QB...owned you...you lost
Bruce Gradkowski.....?????
Fitzpatrick...up and comer...garbo team...you shoulda lost
Flacoo...
Carson Palmer...
Sanchez....you lost to an overrated 2nd year QB
Jimmy Clausen...lol
Colt McCoy...ROOKIE

Hey I know the Steelers don't pick their Schedule...but you wanna brag about being the #1 D and bla bla bla...look at the QB's you've faced, anyone remotely decent or better then the game is close as hell or you straight up lost...and In my opinion, Rodgers has outplayed all those guys (exception: brady...minus playoffs)

:happy0005:

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
This isn't the same defense Tom Brady carved up and it's certainly not the same one that Rodgers saw last December. It should be interesting to see how he performs against this squad.

I wish I could find the article I recently reaad, where Lebeau talked about having changed the defense after the New England game...

Bubby Brister

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish I could find the article I recently reaad, where Lebeau talked about having changed the defense after the New England game...
I

I put the link to that very article in my post but I don't have enough posts quite yet for me to put the actual links in. You guys will have to do some extra work for that one, lol

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I for one dont think Rodgers can carve up the D...However if given time he can do damage..But given time is the key...But he can still run out and escape just like in the Atlanta game

And in same breath that you said the Steel D isnt the same..I can guarantee you that the Pack D improved more then your Steel Curtain since our last meeting..

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
yea but what QB's were the Steelers facing? look at my previous post, cause I don't feel like repeating myself...the Steelers faced mediocre QB's the last 6 weeks

If you go from playoffs to reg season, its 9 weeks if you ask me

Unless people think Sanchez, Flaco,are top tier

Bubby Brister

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And they faced mediocre quarterbacks in the first half of the season as well but were still giving up lots of yardage. The fact of the matter is that they weren't playing well against anybody and if it weren't for these adjustments, I would not even be here right now having this discussion. They're far from the best secondary in the league, but they're much improved.

The Packers rank 3rd, meanwhile and they've gone up against Vick twice, Fitzpatrick, Cutler twice, Hill, Stanton, Washed up McNabb, Washed up Favre twice, Henne, Sanchez, Kitna, Ryan, Troy Smith, and Eli Manning... not exactly world beaters either. There aren't enough elite QBs in the league where a team will face one of them week in and week out.

This Packers team is using the same scheme and players as it was when it was losing to the likes of MIA and WAS, what's the difference between them then and them now?

Bubby Brister

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And in same breath that you said the Steel D isnt the same..I can guarantee you that the Pack D improved more then your Steel Curtain since our last meeting..

I'm not saying Ben is going to put up 500 yards again or knocking the Packers at all. My only point is that the Steelers secondary has a reputation for being bad and it's off point.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers rank 3rd, meanwhile and they've gone up against Vick twice, Fitzpatrick, Cutler twice, Hill, Stanton, Washed up McNabb, Washed up Favre twice, Henne, Sanchez, Kitna, Ryan, Troy Smith, and Eli Manning... not exactly world beaters either. There aren't enough elite QBs in the league where a team will face one of them week in and week out.
So Vick and Ryan suck? How many ints did Matt ice have all season and how many did the Pack have on him..He had 9 all season, tossed 2

This Packers team is using the same scheme and players as it was when it was losing to the likes of MIA and WAS, what's the difference between them then and them now?

Really? Same scheme and players? You sticking with that?

Nahhh...

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/54933/WAS_Gamebook.pdf

That game, 2 starters on D then are not starting now..and 5 that rotated in, are on IR

Shall I blast your non knowledge some more?

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/54940/GB_Gamebook.pdf

3 starters there do not play anymore

Here is the NFCCG, go ahead and compare

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/55160/CHI_Gamebook.pdf

I love it when you fans that have no clue talk crap....Its so fun to make you look like you know nothing

Thats not smack, its the truth..

This is a lesson to all the Steeler fans..

You want to bring up stuff AWESOME, but have the facts please, I am tired of busting your balls

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/54683/PIT_Gamebook.pdf

Thats our 09 game

Check D players and then check the Bear game pdf file I posted..

Better yet let me do it

This year starters
Pickett
Raji
Green
Hawk
Matthews
Bishop
Walden
Woodson
Shields
Williams --player that has grown leaps and bounds since 09
Collins

Jolly
Jenkins
Jones
Hawk
Barnett
Matthews
Bigby
Bush
Williams
Woodson
Collins

Pegger Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raiders, Bills, Bengals, Panthers...

Yep, those are some pretty dangerous offences that the Steelers kept in check... And you would think with such a solid defence that a 7-point deficit to start a game against the Jets at home would be easy to overcome...

Not saying the Steelers D are chumps, but come on. Holding the Panthers to 3 points isn't THAT big of an accomplishment... talk about a "meaningless game"

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
One thing I need to point out again

We can stop top scoring teams..

Philly#3 in entire NFL...Atlanta #5...Or Philly #1 and Atlanta #2 in scoring in the NFC

but think our D isnt any good, and that Ben will just score at will

Bubby Brister

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're missing the point completely and putting words in my mouth.

Not once did I say that the Packers D won't be able to stop Ben, first of all.

Secondly, I never said that the Packers haven't played a good QB or good offense all year. My list was a point towards armand34 who said the Steelers haven't.

Packers - Vick X2, Fitzpatrick, Cutler X2, Hill, Stanton, McNabb, Favre X2, Henne, Sanchez, Kitna, Ryan, Smith, Manning

is no more impressive than

Steelers - Ryan, Young, Freeman, Flacco X3, Palmer X2, McCoy X2, Brees, Henne, Brady, Fitzpatrick, Campbell, Sanchez X2, Clausen

As a matter of fact, they're remarkably similar. The only truly great QBs the Steelers played this year are Brees, Brady and Ryan. The only truly great QBs the Packers played this year are Brady, Ryan and MAYBE Vick. I say maybe on Vick because as everybody saw this year, Vick is very ordinary when you have good LBs or DEs containing him and forcing him to be strictly a passer. Everybody else is either a scrub (Hill/Clausen) or "almost but not quite" (Cutler/Flacco).

But that's all besides the point. The Packers have a HELL of a secondary. There are no doubts about that. All I'm saying is that you can't discredit them just because of the schedule they were handed, and, even though they aren't anything special, the same should go with the Steelers. I expect this to be a very close and hard fought game and whichever quarterback comes out on top will have certainly earned it. My overall point being that Rodgers isn't just going to go in there and have a field day with the Steelers D, and that assuming the Steelers are the same team you saw against the Pats or Saints is just as valid as assuming the Packers are the same team as the one you saw against the Dolphins or Redskins -- both are silly assumptions and so is thinking either one of these teams is just going to steamroll the other. I'm expecting a game of legendary proportions come Sunday.

I didn't come here to bash your team. I came here to defend mine.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're missing the point completely and putting words in my mouth.

Not once did I say that the Packers D won't be able to stop Ben, first of all.

Secondly, I never said that the Packers haven't played a good QB or good offense all year. My list was a point towards armand34 who said the Steelers haven't.

Packers - Vick X2, Fitzpatrick, Cutler X2, Hill, Stanton, McNabb, Favre X2, Henne, Sanchez, Kitna, Ryan, Smith, Manning

is no more impressive than

Steelers - Ryan, Young, Freeman, Flacco X3, Palmer X2, McCoy X2, Brees, Henne, Brady, Fitzpatrick, Campbell, Sanchez X2, Clausen

As a matter of fact, they're remarkably similar. The only truly great QBs the Steelers played this year are Brees, Brady and Ryan. The only truly great QBs the Packers played this year are Brady, Ryan and MAYBE Vick. I say maybe on Vick because as everybody saw this year, Vick is very ordinary when you have good LBs or DEs containing him and forcing him to be strictly a passer. Everybody else is either a scrub (Hill/Clausen) or "almost but not quite" (Cutler/Flacco).

But that's all besides the point. The Packers have a HELL of a secondary. There are no doubts about that. All I'm saying is that you can't discredit them just because of the schedule they were handed, and, even though they aren't anything special, the same should go with the Steelers. I expect this to be a very close and hard fought game and whichever quarterback comes out on top will have certainly earned it. My overall point being that Rodgers isn't just going to go in there and have a field day with the Steelers D, and that assuming the Steelers are the same team you saw against the Pats or Saints is just as valid as assuming the Packers are the same team as the one you saw against the Dolphins or Redskins -- both are silly assumptions and so is thinking either one of these teams is just going to steamroll the other. I'm expecting a game of legendary proportions come Sunday.

I didn't come here to bash your team. I came here to defend mine.

the only reason why you are getting these kind of responses is because (not you specifically) but other Steelers fans are defending YOUR team at the expense of OUR team

Example

Originally Posted by Hoosier

Originally Posted by Hoosier

Btw, the Patriots beat you when it was a MEANINGLESS game for them and a MUST WIN for the Packers. LOL Talk about spin...how can you stand up straight?

Keep in mind the Packers rush defense is worse than the Steelers pass defense. Mendy going to run all over the Pack. Get ready!!

Sorry pal, but the Ravens have a much tougher defense than the Packers. Once Rodgers gets smacked the game is over and the Steelers will dismantle them. Tune in and see...hyuck hyuck hyuck

responses of an uneducated football fan is what's driving this current conversation

Members online

Latest posts