Official Game Day Thread: Saints @ Packers - 9/8: Win 42 - 34

Who will NBC choose for the Thursday NFL Kickoff?

• Total voters

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finley, Jennings, Driver, Nelson.....brutal! And now, add COBB! Fun to watch....a nightmare for defenses. Jones didn't even get a ball thrown to him did he? I don't recall any!? Hope Tramon is OK! Great win, but way too close for comfort.

Jones got one short completion, and I believe it was the only attempt in his direction.

Donald Driver got ROCKED on that one hit...i thought he would would be down and out, but a second later they showed him running off the field. what an animal! He also did a great job recovering that kick.

Reaction score
Jones got one short completion, and I believe it was the only attempt in his direction.

Donald Driver got ROCKED on that one hit...i thought he would would be down and out, but a second later they showed him running off the field. what an animal! He also did a great job recovering that kick.

Jones reception must have happened on the pass route I ran to the fridge for a "beverage" and I missed it, but then, senility has long since set in on me, too:cool: Driver is just amazing isn't he? That guy displays so much energy, heart and love for the game.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score

Not only did he get up, but continually showing he's big huge smile!!!!

I LOVE DD!!!

*Englke's new avatar was perfect reading this thread!! DRIVER!!!!!!!

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Everyone minus our pass defense and kickoff coverage looked good last night

What do you folks think it was about our pass defense that had problems? Was because there wasn't enough pressure? Was it because assignments were being missed? Was it because of mismatches? I mean, they did have a couple sacks didn't they?

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good Lord, that was one of the most intense games I've ever seen. And that's just the season opener!

For the fourth year in a row, the Packers turned into the Cardiac Pack in the first game of the season. I remember they were cutting it close against the Eagles last year. And the Bears in 2009. And the Vikings in 2008.

Is this becoming a new tradition in Green Bay? I hope not, I don't think my heart can take it.

Good game, Saints fans. I hope I never see your team play us again this season. But, considering how good your team is, I know I will.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Just finished watching the taped game here in the UK. I managed to resist looking on the internet all day at work. What a great game. Good to see that Tramon is not seriously injured-- I was sure there was a broken bone. Whew...

Awesome game! My pulse is still racing. We just beat a really good team, fans. Saints are for real. But, gladly, so are our Packers. Wow. Just wow.

Morningwood-- trolls like SWW won't stick around. Hope you do, though. See ya again come playoff time.

truerjulie

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Congrats, Packer fans. You guys were even better than I feared. Really just phenomenal execution on O and red zone D. Proud of our guys for fighting all the way to the end and keeping it so close after falling behind early. Sorry if some Saints fans here and elsewhere are wandering around unmedicated and making nuisances of themselves. The rest of us will try to supervise them more closely in the future.

I am torn between wanting a rematch in the NFCCG and never wanting to play you guys again :)

PS. Please destroy the Falcons. Thx.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
That feeling is mutual truerjulie - I am not so sure it would come out the same if we were to play again. You guys were tough.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you folks think it was about our pass defense that had problems? Was because there wasn't enough pressure? Was it because assignments were being missed? Was it because of mismatches? I mean, they did have a couple sacks didn't they?
Brees threw it 50 times, so we're bound to get a sack or two.... and they were coverage sacks actually.
Their OL did a good job on us, and the main reasons for that was the lack of an interior pass rush.
Cullen Jenkins would beat one-on-one blocking.
Mike Neal can too, perhaps. But we never know because we never see the guy out there.
Wynn did good vs the run, but he, Pickett, Green are worthless rushing a QB. Raji was tired and didn't put on any heat.
So Matthews was always doubled or tripled.

Brees is short. When he gets pressure up the middle, that's the games he throws 2 or 3 picks. He threw 22 last year.
We didn't get any heat up the middle on him, and we had no picks in 50 attempts. Not good.

But we won.

PackersDraft

Draftnik
Reaction score
I am new to this forum. This game was awesome! I am trying to get into sports writing so I created a blog. I reviewed the Packer game at my blog www.packersandfootball.blogspot.com. If some of you could go check it out that would be awesome. But anyways... Even though the Claymaker didn't get a sack he still dominated the game. He got through double teams and disrupted many plays. The double teams allowed Erik Walden to get a sack.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am new to this forum. This game was awesome! I am trying to get into sports writing so I created a blog. I reviewed the Packer game at my blog www.packersandfootball.blogspot.com. If some of you could go check it out that would be awesome. But anyways... Even though the Claymaker didn't get a sack he still dominated the game. He got through double teams and disrupted many plays. The double teams allowed Erik Walden to get a sack.
Yes I checked out your blog.
The one thing that stands out for me is this:

Cobb also had the first kickoff return for a touchdown this season, and the first one for the Packers since Allen Rossum did it in a 26-24 win against the Colts on November 19, 2000.

I'm sorry, but that is pathetic.
I know that kick off returns are a rare thing in the leauge. But to have an almost 11 year drought for one team is bad.

PackersDraft

Draftnik
Reaction score
Yes I checked out your blog.
The one thing that stands out for me is this:

I'm sorry, but that is pathetic.
I know that kick off returns are a rare thing in the leauge. But to have an almost 11 year drought for one team is bad.
Thank you for checking out my blog. But yeah that is really pathetic. Hopefully it happens more frequently now that we have Cobb. Very excited to see what we can do next week against a team that is rebuilding. I will be doing previews and reviews of every packer game. So pumped that this year is finally rolling.

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank you for checking out my blog. But yeah that is really pathetic. Hopefully it happens more frequently now that we have Cobb. Very excited to see what we can do next week against a team that is rebuilding. I will be doing previews and reviews of every packer game. So pumped that this year is finally rolling.

I originally thought the drought lasted 15 years. Blame this on my superstitious side, but I always thought that it was part of a curse related to Desmond Howard's kickoff return for a touchdown in Super Bowl XXXI. Regardless, I'm glad that Cobb not only ripped that monkey off the Packers' back, but shotgunned it and burned the remains. I'm so excited for him and what he has in store for us! :D

I am torn between wanting a rematch in the NFCCG and never wanting to play you guys again :)

Same here, but I'm smellin' a potential NFC Championship matchup. Your team's too good to not face us in the playoffs.

PS. Please destroy the Falcons. Thx.

Annihilate the Bears and you got a deal.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I've been watching the Saints game again this afternoon. Mostly I watched the O line and the Defensive pressure packages to see what's up. On the VAST majority of plays the Coach Capers only had two DT's in with no DE and bunch of LBs. On a number of the plays he even had one DT start from a standing position. I know he's brilliant but those groupings didn't look like they were stopping much. He was depending on his pressure from the LBs and they were often getting in just a tad late. I wonder if he switches things up this week for a team with some known RBs.

Latest posts