Official Game Day Thread: Packers @ Eagles - 1/9: WIN 21 - 16

mattwill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Problem with the Eagles is that they have so much speed, so much shiftiness that one little mistake like that can turn into 7 in a hurry... No mistakes in this game guys, no mistakes!
Point well taken. In our discussions in the Eagles Blog thread, we would rather see fewer Quick 6's and more clock chewing drives. The points on the scoreboard can't be denied, but failure to eat up the clock means that Rogers will have more opportunities to throw to the Packers' outstanding receiving corps. Given the current state of the Eagles' DBs, the fewer snaps Rogers takes the better.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
All this talk of the epic battle of the two QBs, Aaron and Vick, has me thinking we are focusing on the wrong thing. I mentioned this in another thread and will do so again here. I don't think this game is going to be a battle of QBs but rather a battle of two defenses. I saw on one of our local Philly news stations that they are studying film on the Packers D round the clock, pretty much. Somebody reportedly studied through 20 hours of film on Clay Matthews alone. That tells you something. With all this focus going on the QBs, in particular Vick, are they betting on the wrong horse. I think this game is going to belong to the D.

Eagles fan, I ask of you. What do you think is the one weakness in your fortress? I would say it is your D, in particular, your secondary. I'm not saying it sucks, but it is suspect and far from elite.

The Packers weakness would probably be their special teams, a problem that has plagued us all year.

If the game came down to a battle of two D's, which D would you give the advantage to? I would have with the Packers on that one.

mattwill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eagles fan, I ask of you. What do you think is the one weakness in your fortress? I would say it is your D, in particular, your secondary. I'm not saying it sucks, but it is suspect and far from elite.

The Packers weakness would probably be their special teams, a problem that has plagued us all year.

If the game came down to a battle of two D's, which D would you give the advantage to? I would have with the Packers on that one.
Kitten, please feel free to call me matt. One thing the Packers and eagles have in common is that (unlike many of the other Playoffs teams) they both have suffered a lot of injuries and injuries in key places. The one difference has been the timing of those injuries. The Packers experienced more in the early part of the season and the Eagles more in the late part.

The Eagles' Defense (especially the DBs) has been particularly hard hit. Given the very high quality and depth of the Packers receivers, that is the area where I see the greatest vulnerability. Further, the greatest strength of the Eagles' D is in defending the run, and after the Packers lost Grant (a huge loss), the running game has become almost non-existent in the Packers' game plan.

Further, the general consensus on Rogers is that he thrives when the opposing D tries to pressure him. Therefore I want Sean McDermott to dial back his blitzes big time . . . almost to non-existent. Rush with the Front Four only, with a very heavy push up the middle from the DTs (hopefully contracting the pocket) and the DEs boxing the ends so that Aaron doesn't end up with open running lanes. If there are blitzes, don't blitz from the outside. Blitz up the middle. That means there will be a full deployment in the Back Seven to deal with the Packers' receivers and the Eagles won't be taking a DB out of coverage.

I also want a heavy dose of Man coverage. If McDermott dials up lots of Zone coverage (the way he did when Asante Samuel was out injured), Rogers and the Packer receivers will eat the Eagles alive IMHO. They not only need to play Man, but also need to avoid giving cushions. Quick developing Slants were the death knell of the Eagles last year in Round One of the Playoffs. We can't afford a repeat this year.

Did that address your question?

mattwill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bradley probably could play, but rookie Jamar Chaney has been just as good as Bradley, so I expect Bradley will not start,

There is less info available about MJ-G. Starting Nick Cole in his place wouldn't be much of a drop off; however, if Herremans can't play, that would be a huge deal. Raji would absolutely abuse Wells.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Kitten
I think most of these Rodgers vs Vick comparisions are how they will fair against the opponents D. Both team's QB's also serve their as their passer and secondary runner. As much as the Packers may hope and try to have a run game its not effective. And just as the QB is usually the face of the Offense, Matthews is the face of our Defense. Though if they only want to focus on Matthews good for them, hope they don't get suprised by Woodson, Williams, Hawk, and Raji making some great plays.

mattwill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kitten
Just as the QB is usually the face of the Offense, Matthews is the face of our Defense. Though if they only want to focus on Matthews good for them, hope they don't get surprised by Woodson, Williams, Hawk, and Raji making some great plays.
No surprises expected. The strength of Raji's play is matched up across from the Eagles primary OLine weakness . . . RG and OC. Jay Ratliff of the Cowboys regularly gives the Eagles interior line fits, and I consider Raji to be a better version of Ratliff.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Thank you Matt for that information. Kind of heightens my "Packers are gonna win tomorrow" mood.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kitten, please feel free to call me matt. One thing the Packers and eagles have in common is that (unlike many of the other Playoffs teams) they both have suffered a lot of injuries and injuries in key places. The one difference has been the timing of those injuries. The Packers experienced more in the early part of the season and the Eagles more in the late part.

The Eagles' Defense (especially the DBs) has been particularly hard hit. Given the very high quality and depth of the Packers receivers, that is the area where I see the greatest vulnerability. Further, the greatest strength of the Eagles' D is in defending the run, and after the Packers lost Grant (a huge loss), the running game has become almost non-existent in the Packers' game plan.

Further, the general consensus on Rogers is that he thrives when the opposing D tries to pressure him. Therefore I want Sean McDermott to dial back his blitzes big time . . . almost to non-existent. Rush with the Front Four only, with a very heavy push up the middle from the DTs (hopefully contracting the pocket) and the DEs boxing the ends so that Aaron doesn't end up with open running lanes. If there are blitzes, don't blitz from the outside. Blitz up the middle. That means there will be a full deployment in the Back Seven to deal with the Packers' receivers and the Eagles won't be taking a DB out of coverage.

I also want a heavy dose of Man coverage. If McDermott dials up lots of Zone coverage (the way he did when Asante Samuel was out injured), Rogers and the Packer receivers will eat the Eagles alive IMHO. They not only need to play Man, but also need to avoid giving cushions. Quick developing Slants were the death knell of the Eagles last year in Round One of the Playoffs. We can't afford a repeat this year.

Did that address your question?

Thanks, Matt :) One guy on the Eagles D who I fear above all others is Trent Cole. He is crazy good and somewhat underrated.

On offense, these teams are very much a like. Both run a West Coast Offense, lots of passing, very little running game. I think if any coach has been criticized more than M.M. for lack of a running game, it would be Reid. Eagles have McCoy, who is very strong. Pack has Kuhn, Jackson and now Starks. Both teams offense centers around their QB. I think on offense, we are more alike than different.

You hit the nail right on the head with the injury comment. The Eagles have had more than their fair share of injuries, as have the Packers.

Here is hoping for a good, injury free game on both sides!

Now for some cheese steaks, Wisconsin cheese for me, ;)

mattwill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Due to Seattle's win, Atlanta is heavily rooting for the Eagles while Chicago is heavily rooting for the Packers tomorrow.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Chicago would never root for us. If it took a Packers win to make them elgible for the play offs they would wish for the Packer to get injured on every play, and scrape a win.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bears would be silly to root for us. If we win, and as it is the Bears have the first round bye, the Bears would be playing the Packers next week. Let us not forget it was those same Bears who played their starters all out against us last week trying to knock us out of the playoffs at the risk of injury to their starters. They did NOT want us in the playoffs for a reason. I can't imagine them wanting us to win so they could play us again.

mattwill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks, Matt :) One guy on the Eagles D who I fear above all others is Trent Cole. He is crazy good and somewhat underrated.

On offense, these teams are very much a like. Both run a West Coast Offense, lots of passing, very little running game. I think if any coach has been criticized more than M.M. for lack of a running game, it would be Reid. Eagles have McCoy, who is very strong. Pack has Kuhn, Jackson and now Starks. Both teams offense centers around their QB. I think on offense, we are more alike than different.

You hit the nail right on the head with the injury comment. The Eagles have had more than their fair share of injuries, as have the Packers.

Here is hoping for a good, injury free game on both sides!

Now for some cheese steaks, Wisconsin cheese for me, ;)
Kitten, since you are in the Philadelphia area, if you want the best cheesesteaks in the whole Philadelphia area, go to Mama's Pizzeria at 426 Belmont Avenue, Lower Merion, PA 19004 (610) 664-4757. The pizza steak hoagie with sweet peppers and onions is to die for. Some people think lettuce on a cheesesteak is beyond the pale, but they are truly superb. One sandwich for two people. If they ask you whether you want mayo, be sure to say yes.

Regarding the mirror image Offenses, don't go to sleep on the Eagles Running game. Their 145 yards per game were 5th in the NFL. I'm pretty sure that their 5.4 yards per attempt ranks in the top five seasons in the modern era of the NFL. Reid will always be pass first, but when he does dial up the run, it produces very good results.

Re

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
They want us to win to try and versus us again and be like... We let you in, just to knock you guys down. We are trying to act the jerks we call our fans.

Matt - how many of those rushing yards count for Vick? The Packers have a great amount of rushing yards from our QB, heck he was the leading rusher in the Bears game. Running QB's lopside rushing results.

mattwill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bears would be silly to root for us. If we win, and as it is the Bears have the first round bye, the Bears would be playing the Packers next week. Let us not forget it was those same Bears who played their starters all out against us last week trying to knock us out of the playoffs at the risk of injury to their starters. They did NOT want us in the playoffs for a reason. I can't imagine them wanting us to win so they could play us again.
. . . and having the Seahawks as a road team opponent is definitely a good matchup for either the Bears or the Falcons.

Rutnstrut

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we loose this game tomorrow it will be due to MM **** poor play calling. But more than likely the killer for the Pack will be their weak running game. I hope they don't get a few inches of snow, or the ******* in Philly will shut everything down.

mattwill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They want us to win to try and versus us again and be like... We let you in, just to knock you guys down. We are trying to act the jerks we call our fans.

Matt - how many of those rushing yards count for Vick? The Packers have a great amount of rushing yards from our QB, heck he was the leading rusher in the Bears game. Running QB's lopside rushing results.
. . . but with the #4 seed winning, if the Packers (#6 seed) win, they play the Falcons and the Seahawks (#4 seed) play the Bears.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kitten, since you are in the Philadelphia area, if you want the best cheesesteaks in the whole Philadelphia area, go to Mama's Pizzeria at 426 Belmont Avenue, Lower Merion, PA 19004 (610) 664-4757. The pizza steak hoagie with sweet peppers and onions is to die for. Some people think lettuce on a cheesesteak is beyond the pale, but they are truly superb. One sandwich for two people. If they ask you whether you want mayo, be sure to say yes.

Regarding the mirror image Offenses, don't go to sleep on the Eagles Running game. Their 145 yards per game were 5th in the NFL. I'm pretty sure that their 5.4 yards per attempt ranks in the top five seasons in the modern era of the NFL. Reid will always be pass first, but when he does dial up the run, it produces very good results.

Re

LOL, I wasn't really comparing an assessment of offensive talent, just merely comparing a similar playing system and structure. I think in the running game department you guys have the edge with McCoy. Hopefully the Pack run D will be able to stop him.

I'll have to give the Mama's a try next time I'm in the Lower Merion area. I tend to stick close to center city. I fancy Paul's Pizza, the one Sansom St, Jeweler's Row. It's not far from 8th and Market.

I take it your not a fan of Pat's and Gino's? :) Most locals know some of the best places is local Mom and Pop stores. I lot of times when I have friends visit the city the first place they want to go to is the infamous Pat's or Gino's but I like to take them to a local place afterward and they are always amazed at the difference.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No they wouldn't. If the Packers win tomorrow then next week they play in ATL and the Bears get the Seahawks.

It makes perfect sense for the Bears fans to root for us now... Seattle going to Chicago in the Divisional round is a pretty easy trip to the NFCC game for the Bears. Much easier than having to go through the Eagles and then Falcons.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
No they wouldn't. If the Packers win tomorrow then next week they play in ATL and the Bears get the Seahawks.

It makes perfect sense for the Bears fans to root for us now... Seattle going to Chicago in the Divisional round is a pretty easy trip to the NFCC game for the Bears. Much easier than having to go through the Eagles and then Falcons.

Sorry for that, I got confused by another thread where the poster seemed to think we would be playing the Bears if we beat the Eagles. :(

mattwill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll have to give the Mama's a try next time I'm in the Lower Merion area. I tend to stick close to center city. I fancy Paul's Pizza, the one Sansom St, Jeweler's Row. It's not far from 8th and Market.

I take it your not a fan of Pat's and Gino's? :) Most locals know some of the best places is local Mom and Pop stores. I lot of times when I have friends visit the city the first place they want to go to is the infamous Pat's or Gino's but I like to take them to a local place afterward and they are always amazed at the difference.
Not a big Pats or Ginos fan. Not exactly a detractor either. Your Wisconsin cheese comment gets to the heart of the matter. A good steak starts with good cheese. My personal favorite is provolone, but I'm open to any really good cheese laid on the inside of the roll, and then the meat, sauce, onions and sweet peppers spatulaed off the grill directly on top of the cheese. Fantastic.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts