Official Game Day Thread: Packers @ Bears - 9/25

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
The Bears looked terrible against the Saints on all levels. They had a meltdown, the Saints shouldn't of been able to to get to Cutler that easily. The Bears D looked bad, but some of that was Brees and the Saints O Line was just that good and they were able to capitalize on the Bears having a bad day. Atlanta's D is not all that bad for the record. They beat the Eagles last night and managed to take out Vick in the process.

Hear is my warning. The Bears had a bad game against the Saints. We cannot lull ourselves into a false sense of security and get it into our heads that they will play the same way against us. It's probably not going to happen. We cannot play the Bears the same way we played Carolina and hope to win. I think both teams are going to come into this game with guns blazing. Sure, I hope the Bears play as bad as they did against the Saints, but am I counting on that? No. I am by no means saying the Bears are an elite team, far from it, but if I were the Packers, I'd be on my full guard.

And the Bears manage to prevent Rodgers last year from having big numbers. They always are a problem, but look at how the Saints handled them. That's the blue print. The Saints have average wide receivers, and 3/4's of the time, Brees makes them look better than they really are. We have the best Wide receivers in the league under Jennings, Driver, Nelson, Cobb, and so on. We are loaded with weapons. If the Saints can throw all over the Bears like that with average guys, I can see us doing the same thing.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
And the Bears manage to prevent Rodgers last year from having big numbers. They always are a problem, but look at how the Saints handled them. That's the blue print. The Saints have average wide receivers, and 3/4's of the time, Brees makes them look better than they really are. We have the best Wide receivers in the league under Jennings, Driver, Nelson, Cobb, and so on. We are loaded with weapons. If the Saints can throw all over the Bears like that with average guys, I can see us doing the same thing.

The problem is we cannot expect to play the same Bears team that played the Saints anymore than the Bears can expect to play the same Packers team that played against the Panthers. We are both coming off bad games. I think the Packers have a better chance of overcoming it than the Bears do but by no means should these teams underestimate each other. I give the Packers the edge in this game, they should win it, they are the better team. But only if they play like the better team. If our D can shut down Cutler and Forte, they can shut down pretty much their entire offensive line. Then the Bears would have to rely on their D. As you have stated, the weapons in our arsenal are loaded, more so than the Saints who have a incredibly good offense in themselves. You would thing logically the Saints beat the Bears and we beat the Saints, that means we should beat the Bears. I can see us winning this game, but I don't think it will be as easy as we think.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the biggest obstacle the packers will face in order to win this game is Forte plain and simple. He has more recieving yards than any packers WR and more than the likes of Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald. Also if you look at backs we have faced so far this year Jonathon Stewart went 8 catches for 100 yds and we all know Sproles had a huge game. I just shudder at the thought of Aj Hawk or Erik Walden trying to cover him.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem is we cannot expect to play the same Bears team that played the Saints anymore than the Bears can expect to play the same Packers team that played against the Panthers. We are both coming off bad games. I think the Packers have a better chance of overcoming it than the Bears do but by no means should these teams underestimate each other. I give the Packers the edge in this game, they should win it, they are the better team. But only if they play like the better team. If our D can shut down Cutler and Forte, they can shut down pretty much their entire offensive line. Then the Bears would have to rely on their D. As you have stated, the weapons in our arsenal are loaded, more so than the Saints who have a incredibly good offense in themselves. You would thing logically the Saints beat the Bears and we beat the Saints, that means we should beat the Bears. I can see us winning this game, but I don't think it will be as easy as we think.
Exactly.

I have no idea what's going to happen in this game.

The only thing I do know is that both teams will be looking at each other to be prepared.
I think comparing past games, either against each other or other teams is apples to oranges.
Yeah, the Saints did this and the Bears didn't do that etc....
But the Packers will play it differently than the Saints.
And the Bears will get ready for the Pack.

I'll just have faith in Mike and Dom that they know what they are doing and will do their best to lead the team to another win.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Exactly.

I have no idea what's going to happen in this game.

The only thing I do know is that both teams will be looking at each other to be prepared.
I think comparing past games, either against each other or other teams is apples to oranges.
Yeah, the Saints did this and the Bears didn't do that etc....
But the Packers will play it differently than the Saints.
And the Bears will get ready for the Pack.

I'll just have faith in Mike and Dom that they know what they are doing and will do their best to lead the team to another win.

I can always count on you two to support the notion of NEVER underestimate the Bears team. Which is great. ITs nice that there are no Bears trolls quite yet.

Eric87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers just have to handle business this week. They are the better team, but it's the Bears. Penalties, turnovers and special teams errors will eat us alive this week.

Hopefully it's a big day for the defense going up against a much worse O Line and fewer offensive weapons than the last few weeks.

The one thing no one has mentioned yet: Don't let Devin Hester impact the game. We need a draw on special teams.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought special teams minus the cobb fumble was a plus on sunday. Hopefully our coverage units remain solid and we dont kick the damn ball to hester.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can always count on you two to support the notion of NEVER underestimate the Bears team. Which is great. ITs nice that there are no Bears trolls quite yet.

Give them time and they will all start to come out of the woodwork. I think some of them are still not over last years NFC Championship game.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Give them time and they will all start to come out of the woodwork. I think some of them are still not over last years NFC Championship game.

Well after all the bad press Cutler got, I wouldn't expect Cutler ever to forgive the Packers. Plus Lovie kind of has a fixation at beating the Pack too.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Remember Matt Bowen? He played for the Packers in '01 and '02. He writes for National Football Post - a good website IMO. Here's his column titled, What is the impact of Collins' injury for Packers? Tough to replace a Pro Bowl talent at FS:

The Packers aren’t going to replace Nick Collins in the secondary. The way I see it, the Green Bay safety is one of the top players at this position in the NFL. And there is no question the neck injury that will keep Collins out for the remainder of the 2011 season is a tough blow to this defense. What is the overall impact of losing Collins in Green Bay? Here’s what I am thinking…

- The play making ability. Collins has top-tier range and ball skills playing in the middle of the field (think Cover 1) or coming off the numbers when the Packers play their 2-deep looks (Cover 2, 2-Man). He takes good angles to the ball and can finish at the point of attack. Charlie Peprah will move into the lineup to take his spot, but there is a drop off there in expected production.

EDITED BY LONGTIMEFAN

Reason: can't post entire articles...

READ REST AT

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/What-is-the-impact-of-Collins-injury-for-Packers.html

- - - - - - -

As I think I mentioned previously, IMO Burnett will replace Collins and Peprah will replace Burnett since the Packers' safeties in Capers' schemes are interchangeable. Of course that doesn't mean opponents won't try to pick on either beginning Sunday. I don't have concerns about Burnett's range but rather his inexperience. The only bright spot I can think of in this situation (Collins on IR) is I think it's reasonable to expect Burnett will get better and better as the season goes on.

I expect Sunday's game to be a dog fight and I think Bowen is right about Martz challenging the Packers defensive backfield. If the Packers can pressure Cutler they'll be fine. If they don't but Williams starts and plays as he is capable IMO they'll be fine if they take care of business elsewhere. If Woodson and Shields have to start at CB, it's likely to be a bit dicey on pass D. The good news is the Bears have below average WRs. And as already mentioned, Forte has been the focus of their offense, including their passing game.

EDIT: Sorry about that - the rest of the article talks about what Martz is likely to do Sunday - it fits this thread better than the above.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I still can't believe we won't have Nick for this game.... man....just doesn't feel right.

I really feel in my gut letting Jenkins go was a mistake. But, Trust in Ted...at least that is what I keep mumbling to myself as a rock back and forth in a dark room staring at the wall. LOL

btw... made thread sticky.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
I think the biggest obstacle the packers will face in order to win this game is Forte plain and simple. He has more recieving yards than any packers WR and more than the likes of Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald. Also if you look at backs we have faced so far this year Jonathon Stewart went 8 catches for 100 yds and we all know Sproles had a huge game. I just shudder at the thought of Aj Hawk or Erik Walden trying to cover him.

Let's hope our D can get to Cutler before he can get the ball off to Forte.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Charlie Peprah stepped in admirably last year. I have alot of confidence in him. He's not Nick Collins but he's shown he can come in and make a difference. It's scary to think it's Morgan Burnett and him at safety but the Packers have been plugging holes with unlikely heroes for the awhile now.
I love when people say another team is going to play angry, you know, like the Bears are going to play harder to get payback. But hey! Shouldn't they have done that the last game? I really think the Packers are so well coached that "trap" games will elude us and that they will play exceptional against the Bears.
When you consider that the Bears defense is for all intents and purposes the same as in the past and we've added a dual running threat, mismatch nightmares with Finley and Cobb it's hard to see how Chicago can cover them all.
I really think the Bears will have done well to keep it close. Not only that, at some point the Packers are going to unleash multiple tight end receiver packages and Alex Green hasn't seen a touch. There's no telling where MM will take us offensively this year.
I'm telling ya' the Packers are so much better than the current stats tell. They might be the most potent offense in the league. I know....I didn't like to see Jenkins leave, but it is what it is so we go from here.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defense has dominated recent Bears-Packers games.
Aaron Rodgers is 5-2, averaging 20.6 points. Jay Cutler is 1-4, averaging 13.2.

The key might be Jermichael.
Last year's game at Chicago that Finley played, the Packers moved the ball well.
That was the game, you'll recall, where the zebra's were on the Bears payroll.

They called back a TD to Finley, in which we then got a FG blocked by Peppers.

They also called back 2 Ints we had of Cutler.

Reaction score
The Packers just have to handle business this week. They are the better team, but it's the Bears. Penalties, turnovers and special teams errors will eat us alive this week.

Hopefully it's a big day for the defense going up against a much worse O Line and fewer offensive weapons than the last few weeks.

The one thing no one has mentioned yet: Don't let Devin Hester impact the game. We need a draw on special teams.

No doubt we're a better team! But with this rivalry, the gloves come off and we know it will be the usual dog fight with these Bears. We will Miss Nick tremendously, but I think this just may feul our Defense to be as "mad as hell" and play much better than they have shown in the first two games. Winning the battle in the trenches, stopping the run and getting pressure on Cutler should of course, be the difference. Hester has to be kept OUT of the equation, for sure! Be aware of their screens and "dump offs" to Forte and don't let Knox get a chance to get his hands near the football because he always seemed to come up with an unbelieveable third down catch against us at some point in the close games we had last year. We need to establish a running game and keep their defense off-balance. IF we can protect Aaron, the Bears can just pick their poison! We have far too many weapons with SPEED to receive the ball. We need to jump on them quick, build a decent lead and keep them one dimentional. And I trust in Capers to be at least a few steps ahead of Martz. The guy can flat out "scheme!"

A lot of "ifs" for this game, but it's the penalties, dropped passes, missed tackles and turnovers that we MUST avoid in order to take of business! I like us in this one, 27-13.

cheeseheadfanatic87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers and Bears always play a brutal and physical game. I am hoping the Packers get a quick start, take the ball first and drive it down the field and set the tempo of the game. To be honest, Jay Cutler has more pressure because of what happened last year in the NFC Championship game. Score a few touchdowns, and let the pressure keep coming, because he's going to be the spotlight come Sunday.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers and Bears always play a brutal and physical game. I am hoping the Packers get a quick start, take the ball first and drive it down the field and set the tempo of the game..
If I remember correctly, we did that last year in both games in Chicago. Didn't we score early TDs in each game?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peter King picks Da Bears

Green Bay Packers (2-0) at Chicago Bears (1-1)
In the Caleb Hanie Revenge Bowl, Jay Cutler plays for four quarters, and somehow, some way, Mike Tice and Mike Martz scrape together an offensive line and a quick-throw gameplan that keeps Cutler relatively clean. They'd better figure something out, or the Pack will blow the Bears out.

Members online

No members online now.