OFFICIAL DEFENSIVE ISSUES THREAD

Marem19

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is it that when I have constructive criticism, I'm a hater? ******** people here are more hyper sensitive than my girlfriend. A turnover often has just as much to do with the QB throwing the ball, than the defensive back intercepting it.

Rivers is having an abysmal season and still managed to pass for 4 touchdowns. He didn't even have those kinds of stats against New Englands defense which is ranked even lower than ours.

Turnovers aren't a guarantee

I agree with you but lets not forget Rivers is a damn good QB and the chargers have a damn good offense and this was a do or die game for them a lot of people was predicting a packers loss. While i am concerned about the D I'm not ready to lose sleep worrying about it yet pack got 2 home games against less than stellar offenses i think it can help right them

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
If you want a good example of living and dying on turnovers, look at New Orleans. Their defense will let teams walk all over them, and they pride themselves on turnovers, but since winning the Super Bowl, they've been having a hard time getting them. They don't pick off quarterbacks like they used to, and most of all, they give up huge yards, and big points when they can't get turnovers.

I do not want our defense doing that. The turnovers are carrying them right now, but we have a huge weakness on defense.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is it that when I have constructive criticism, I'm a hater? ******** people here are more hyper sensitive than my girlfriend. A turnover often has just as much to do with the QB throwing the ball, than the defensive back intercepting it.

Rivers is having an abysmal season and still managed to pass for 4 touchdowns. He didn't even have those kinds of stats against New Englands defense which is ranked even lower than ours.

This.

Tom Brady probably isnt going to throw 3 picks against us, but will still put up the touchdown numbers.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you serious right now? I would USE the same defense that we had today. WHY?

Simple, because we had 3 interceptions. I'll take that any day. Packers will continue to make turnovers, just watch. That is why they win.

Delirious.

Those picks could have been made by a Division III college team and were not the result of good defense but horrible decision making by Rivers.

PackPackPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This.

Tom Brady probably isnt going to throw 3 picks against us, but will still put up the touchdown numbers.

Yeah...but you can use the same logic. The Packers have FORCED turnovers every game this season. If you look at it statistically, Packers would be guaranteed at least 1 turnover a game based on this previous trend. It goes both ways.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll give you the outcoached part i have no problem with the play calling and decision making. Its the execution i have issues with.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you want a good example of living and dying on turnovers, look at New Orleans. Their defense will let teams walk all over them, and they pride themselves on turnovers, but since winning the Super Bowl, they've been having a hard time getting them. They don't pick off quarterbacks like they used to, and most of all, they give up huge yards, and big points when they can't get turnovers.

I do not want our defense doing that. The turnovers are carrying them right now, but we have a huge weakness on defense.

Apples to oranges.
Each team's offense and defense are different.
It doesn't make sense to compare or to look to any past games played by any team, even the Packers, to any future games the Packers are playing. I believe to compare just adds to your own personal worry or any negativity you may feel towards the Pack.
JMO.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Didn't watch the whole game but saw parts. Will try to watch more this week. I am suprised that the D gave up so many points coming off a bye and I thought the game was over at times. But......I guess I also have to give some credit to the Chargers too. This was their third straight loss and it's embarrassing for them. Heck, they still might win the West though. Chargers still have a solid offense.

You guys have to clean some stuff up but the potential and coaching is still there IMO. In 2006 the Colts run D couldn't stop an old lady and they made the right adjustments going into the postseason.

Packers are still the best team in the league. No matter what I still feel like this team will find a way to win every game.

Keep the faith, the D will improve. They will have some good games this year.

It could be worse too. You could be.......0-9 and the laughingstock of the league? ;)

This was one of the games marked down as a potential loss for GB and you still won. Keep the faith guys. It's still your year and time I feel.

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya the 49ers are one of the least scary teams we might face in the playoffs. Smith is actually worse than Rivers and Cutler. At least they can chuck it.
IMO the scariest teams for you guys in the playoffs as of now are either the giants or saints

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Because giving up 35 points and 460 yards should be a reason to worry? How many times can we win only by outscoring them?

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I think the D will improve. I truly do. Just be patient. It's a marathon not a sprint. Get homefield and take it from there.

See how the D does against the lesser offenses coming up on your schedule. Then see how they do against the Lions for a real test again.

Take it one week at a time with the D. The O is flawless.

GBMuskies

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While having a poor season, believe it or not, there are those that feel Philip Rivers can actually play a little bit. And he played a little bit today. So did Gates and Jackson, and #86. The former two look like maybe they have some skills?

The main problem is the lack of a consistent pass rush, When Walden brought some heat today the play results were generally favorable. Then near the end Matthews started to have an impact. They had some success bringing Bishop from the edge. It seems to me they were trying to move Matthews around some to find a way to get him free. They're getting nothing in the way of pressure from the front three. I noticed a few plays today where they went with the 2-5. With the offense so powerful I think they're experimenting a little bit. Trying to find some effective personnel groupings. There's time to get it clicking.

If the defense continues to force a turnover or two every game, and the offense continues to not turn the ball over, they are going to be almost impossible to beat.

It's science.

Oh, and I wonder if they met the 49ers in the playoffs if Rodgers might feel a teeny bit extra motivation? A teeny bit.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
When all is said and done those bums in SD might still win the West. Since well, Oakland and KC don't seem to want it either.

You might have just outscored a team who will be in the playoffs and make potential noise since the AFC is wide open. SD is one of those teams who often wins in November/December and sucks in September/October. So lets see how they do the rest of the year.

BTW. God I love your offense. Holy ****.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
If this game as the Sb and they did this would all of you still be *****in about the D??

Who wants to win a SB if you can't hold them?;)

No really though. The D needs work. It's not hopeless though. It's not void of talent or good coaching. Maybe your D struggles since it spends too much time watching your offense and is in a state of shock in how good they are.

Have I mentioned I like the Packers offense?

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score

No really though. The D needs work. It's not hopeless though. It's not void of talent or good coaching. Maybe your D struggles since it spends too much time watching your offense and is in a state of shock in how good they are.

lol thats good stuff right there...I dont care if we win by 1 or by 1000001 a W is a W people that are just stright negative nancys need to shut it they really do WE ARE THE ONLY 8-0 TEAM!!!! I bet that fans would give the yards and the points to be 8-0!!!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's what I'm saying! They may be a wee bit broken but they are not broken beyond repair! All of our key components are still there, but honestly, they are going to need to play better and soon. I think our offense is enough to overwhelm any team in the league, even with our D playing as they are but at some point it is going to come back and bite us.

Or maybe they are in awe of how good the offense is playing and they feel they don't need to play. Well, that's just not so! We need you D! We love you and we need you!!!

asifp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our D problem is plain and simple, not QB pressure. The QB can sit back, eat a sandwhich and still have time to throw.

Also another problem is when McCarthy gets ahead by a few TDs he refuses to trust Rodgher's arm anywhere which is ironic since that is his most reliable weapon. His run/run/run, becomes to obvious, that we punt and put more pressure on the Defense. To multiply the woes Capers somehow loves prevent when we take the lead. Hey we are in the lead and winning keep on playing the same way. Look at all these 4th quarter comebacks this year, it does not take Einstien to figure out that prevent Defense just does not work. With all the space the QBs are able to find open recievers.

But yeah the Defense needs to fix up, cause A-Rod will eventually have a bad game and the D will need to step it up

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
no offense, but you sometimes sound downright delusional

If Aaron Rodgers is on your team you can be delusional.

It's like if Joe Montana and Steve Young had a child together. It would be Aaron Rodgers.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Our D problem is plain and simple, not QB pressure. The QB can sit back, eat a sandwhich and still have time to throw.

Also another problem is when McCarthy gets ahead by a few TDs he refuses to trust Rodgher's arm anywhere which is ironic since that is his most reliable weapon. His run/run/run, becomes to obvious, that we punt and put more pressure on the Defense. To multiply the woes Capers somehow loves prevent when we take the lead. Hey we are in the lead and winning keep on playing the same way. Look at all these 4th quarter comebacks this year, it does not take Einstien to figure out that prevent Defense just does not work. With all the space the QBs are able to find open recievers.

But yeah the Defense needs to fix up, cause A-Rod will eventually have a bad game and the D will need to step it up

:eek:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
There is really something strange going on with the D. They have the tools. It's more than just the absence of one or two players. There is something systemic that isn't working or is completely out of sync. They were missing assignments today more than a stoner in high school. Capers said it is because their opponents spent all off season studying his D. But that doesn't explain all the miscommunication going on out there on the field between the defensive players. They are dropping out of coverage thinking someone else will pick up the receiver and the WR gets open. They are late on the blitzes, etc. Is someone slipping wacky weed into the defensive gatorade?

Members online

Latest posts