Official '06 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeezusJuice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off, it's my first post. Hey everybody.

Okay, the real reason I signed up for this forum was to get some opinions from real Packer fans about the draft. Obivously this is the highest pick for GB in years, so it could be a great gain for the organization.

First and foremost, the Packers top three string RBs (Green, Najeh, Fisher) all have expiring contracts. Green is getting up there in years and still has fumble problems. Najeh is one of my favorite Packers, and I'd love to see him as the starter, but that probably isn't likely right now.

So an obvious choice at draft day is a RB. Bush will not be around when GB is choosing, and the next most logical choice is either LenDale or DeAngelo. I would like to see LenDale personally.

GB obviously has line issues they need to address. Both starting tackles are under contract, and I highly doubt D'Brickashaw will be around by the time GB is on the clock.

We are set at the receiver positions, and the defense was 4th overall. I don't believe the D-line was so bad as to waste a top-5 pick this year on; same goes for our young linebackers. The corners did a good job this year (and I don't get all this Carroll-bashing going on here--the guy is still young--Harris was a horrible CB in Philly and only became a number one corner recently). Collins had a stand-out rookie season, and Roman is not too bad of a saftey. Michael Huff could be an option, but Roman isn't that bad as to waste a top-5 pick on a saftey.

VY could quite possibly still be around when GB picks, being the second highest rated QB this year, he is a high-percentage NFL prospect. Although Rodgers could be a good QB, there is still a chance he is a bust. At least GB could draft VY, have he and Rodgers fight for the two-spot, and trade the other for draft picks or players.

*Cliffs:What does GB do with their draft pick?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Jeezus.....I'm not so sure we are fine at WR depending on how Walker and Murphy come back from SERIOUS injuries. That being said there are no WRs worthy of the #5 pick. I think we may go defense if the first 3-4 picks are offense. AJ Hawk looks good to me and there are a couple DE's that are projected top 10 picks but I'm not crazy about either one. If we go RB...I would take DeAngelo over LenDale but alot of guys here like LenDale.

If Brett comes back we absolutely CANNOT take Vince Young with the fifth pick. It would be a slap in the face. We need to get someone that can help the team immediately.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Lendale White, but I think Gado/Herron and one more free agent/3rd-5th round draft pick will be a suitable backfield...I think gado should be our feature back, but I don't want him to have a 300+ carry season--in other words, another back is needed to shoulder the load...our defense is in too great of need

If Vince Young slips to us at #5, this benefits us--not to take Vince Young...but we can trade down, possibly to Oakland, Arizona (or teams who want UVa OT D'Brickshaw Ferguson)...still remain in the top ten, possibly pick up another early 2nd round pick, and end up with a premium D-line prospect
I like:
-AJ Hawk if we stay at #5 (if he's there), followed by Mario Williams
-Mathias Kiwanuka or Haloti Ngata if we trade down...right now my favorite is Ngata, who has potential to be absolutely beastly from the DT position

Linebacker needs to be addressed big time...there are some good ones out there in free agency...but we have two empty spots...Nick Barnett is the only solid starter at LB on our roster...Diggs will be released, I don't see any way around that, Roy Manning, Robert Thomas, and Paris Lenon are all fringe players that contribute nothing special
--AJ Hawk is a great pick if we stay at #5...he's a character guy that goes real well with what I think McCarthy is trying to establish
--if we don't go LB in round one, I think we do in round two, the LB position is STACKED in this draft

Cornerback...I think we take one in either round 2 or round 3...Penn State's Alan Zemaitis is the sentimental choice, from here at least

PACKATTACK4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope the Pack stays away from Vince Young. I don't think he will be an NFL caliber QB. I think it was Howie Long who said he throws like McNair but not as well, he runs like Vick but not as well. Young's QB draws and option plays will not work as well against NFL speed.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The obvious choice is not RB, at least not in the first round. RBs grow on trees, 6'7" 295 lb. DEs who can rush the passer do not. If Mario Williams is there, he should be our pick. A running back can be had in the second or third round (Brian Calhoun should be available).

Favreforever721

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Javon, I agree with you totally on the Linebacker part. There is a MLB from Texas that I really like. His name is Aaron Harris and he's a senior, so he will be in the draft. Here is his bio-

Aaron Harris, MLB

OP
OP
J

JeezusJuice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I assumed Hawk was an ILB, but I looked an found out he is actually outside. So if he is still around by the time GB is on the clock, he could be an option. Na'il, Barnett, and Hawk would make a great linebacking core.
DePack said:
If Brett comes back we absolutely CANNOT take Vince Young with the fifth pick. It would be a slap in the face. We need to get someone that can help the team immediately.
So what if Leinart is still around? Take him?
DePack said:
If we go RB...I would take DeAngelo over LenDale but alot of guys here like LenDale.
DeAngelo has had injury issues in the past, but either one is a solid pick.
JavonWalker084 said:
I like Lendale White, but I think Gado/Herron and one more free agent/3rd-5th round draft pick will be a suitable backfield...I think gado should be our feature back, but I don't want him to have a 300+ carry season--in other words, another back is needed to shoulder the load...our defense is in too great of need
I hope you are joking. Gado did have a great year, but everytime I watch him run (looking for a running lane on sweeps, in particular), he looks as if he is hesitating, and you can't be a stand-out back in the NFL doing that. You could be right, however. Maybe it was just because he was a rookie. But I have zero faith in Herron.
JavonWalker084 said:
Linebacker needs to be addressed big time...there are some good ones out there in free agency...but we have two empty spots...Nick Barnett is the only solid starter at LB on our roster...Diggs will be released, I don't see any way around that, Roy Manning, Robert Thomas, and Paris Lenon are all fringe players that contribute nothing special
--AJ Hawk is a great pick if we stay at #5...he's a character guy that goes real well with what I think McCarthy is trying to establish
--if we don't go LB in round one, I think we do in round two, the LB position is STACKED in this draft
Why do you say that about Diggs?

PACKATTACK4 said:
I hope the Pack stays away from Vince Young. I don't think he will be an NFL caliber QB. I think it was Howie Long who said he throws like McNair but not as well, he runs like Vick but not as well. Young's QB draws and option plays will not work as well against NFL speed.
He doesn't have to be a Michael Vick caliber running QB in the NFL. Granted someone like Vick at QB won't come around for many years to come. VY has enough speed and agility to completely change the way a defense will defend the team. He has the natural ability to make tacklers miss, and while he may not be as quick or fast as Vick, he is still evasive enough to give the defense fits (see SC's Rose Bowl game performance). Plus he will not run that many option plays in the NFL.

Why is VY's unconventional throwing motion such a big deal? He still has a strong, accurate arm, with great pocket presence. He isn't a natural pocket-passer, but his mechanics aren't going to totally affect his passing game. Not to mention the fact that he is going to be coached by NFL QB coaches and practicing/watching Favre.
TOPackerFan said:
The obvious choice is not RB, at least not in the first round. RBs grow on trees, 6'7" 295 lb. DEs who can rush the passer do not. If Mario Williams is there, he should be our pick. A running back can be had in the second or third round (Brian Calhoun should be available).
RBs do grow on trees. So do DEs. But neither are always good enough to start in the NFL.

Favreforever721 said:
Javon, I agree with you totally on the Linebacker part. There is a MLB from Texas that I really like. His name is Aaron Harris and he's a senior, so he will be in the draft. Here is his bio-

Aaron Harris, MLB
Maybe if they convert him to OLB. He isn't even a first round prospect on the ESPN draft board.

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope they pick A.J. Hawk if he's available at 5. With guys like Williams and Ngata there are some very good prospects that could help us on our defensive line, but I don't think it's as big a need as LB where we need two starting backers. I wouldn't mind the team using it's first rounder on Hawk and it's second rounder on Hodge. We'd have a great core of young backers to build around, tons of speed, and with Hodge on the team you could move Barnett to the outside.

If some don't like the idea of using both of our first two picks on the same position when the team has other needs you could always go with a guy like Brian Calhoun who should be there in the second round. The secondary is also a place that could be addressed. How would some of you feel about drafting a guy like Antonio Cromartie in the second (maybe that's a bit early) or third round. He was hurt last year, but the guy has great size and is very fast. If he does well at the combine and shows his physical tools haven't been hurt by the knee injury then he might be a guy you strongly consider.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pass rushing DEs do not. Generally the only chance you have to get an impact DE is in the top 5 of the draft. You can find RBs later on.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm thinking there is no way vince young will still be available at #5 - he'll go to the texans. i think we've got a chance at Hawk - could sure use him!

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JeezusJuice said:
I hope you are joking. Gado did have a great year, but everytime I watch him run (looking for a running lane on sweeps, in particular), he looks as if he is hesitating, and you can't be a stand-out back in the NFL doing that. You could be right, however. Maybe it was just because he was a rookie. But I have zero faith in Herron.

It's called patience. Sometimes you have to wait for your blocks to develop.

He's an average starter at best and will be cut for cap reasons.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JeezusJuice said:
I assumed Hawk was an ILB, but I looked an found out he is actually outside. So if he is still around by the time GB is on the clock, he could be an option. Na'il, Barnett, and Hawk would make a great linebacking core.

Favreforever721 said:

Aaron Harris, MLB
Maybe if they convert him to OLB. He isn't even a first round prospect on the ESPN draft board.

Sorry for not explaining myself a little better--Nick barnett is currently our middle linebacker--however he is a little small, and often times gets lost in the shuffle of the 300-lb. offensive linemen...A lot of experts and fans alike think he would be better suited on the outside...I like several linebackers who I think we could grab with our second round pick--Aaron Harris from TX is one of them, but primarily Abdul Hodge from Iowa, and D'Qwell Jackson from Maryland

I'm not saying I dont like AJ Hawk, but I think we could get more value out of Mario Williams/Kiwanuka at #5, and another strong LB prospect in the second round

Na'il Diggs gets injured too often, we owe him a sizeable roster bonus this Feb., chances are he's off the roster by then

As for Gado--you mention on sweeps and toss plays--he's not an outside runner, but last season he was all we had, we couldn't run every play between the tackles--even mike sherman knew we had to mix things up...he reminds me of anthony thomas by his style of running, lets just hope he doesnt gain weight/get hurt/suck...i agree that a faster back is needed to stretch the defense, but this is not a need worthy of a #5 pick--maybe its Calhoun in the 2nd-3rd round, I don't even go that far, I say perhaps Micheal Bennett or Moe Williams from free Agency, others,

OP
OP
J

JeezusJuice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
Sorry for not explaining myself a little better--Nick barnett is currently our middle linebacker--however he is a little small, and often times gets lost in the shuffle of the 300-lb. offensive linemen...A lot of experts and fans alike think he would be better suited on the outside...
Barnett had a career high and tied for 6th overall in tackles this year. Bates's defense is centered around the Mike, allowing him to make most of the tackles. Barnett stepped up and had a terrific year.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope you're joking about Barnett. His tackling this year was reminiscent of Darren Sharper (by that I mean f'ing terrible). How many times did Barnett have a chance to make a play but miss the tackle? How many of his tackles came 8 yards down field? Barnett is an average MLB, but it's not due to his lack of size, it's b/c he misses too many tackles.

OP
OP
J

JeezusJuice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
I hope you're joking about Barnett. His tackling this year was reminiscent of Darren Sharper (by that I mean f'ing terrible). How many times did Barnett have a chance to make a play but miss the tackle? How many of his tackles came 8 yards down field? Barnett is an average MLB, but it's not due to his lack of size, it's b/c he misses too many tackles.
Yeah, I completely made those stats up. I also hacked the espn and nfl websites, not to mention everyother webpage that has NFL stats. I hacked all those websites and changed Nick Barnett's stats.

Darren Sharper > your life, btw

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:

I would rather see Barnett in coverage--I'm sick of us getting lit up on every single short pass to someone standing in the flat

Barnett is an above average player, his tackles come 8 yards downfield which is a reason I want KGB gone, an end that can play the run in his place, and another DT to stuff the middle, I say Haloti Ngata in the first round

Even the elite LB's--Ray Lewis in his prime, Brian Urlacher, etc, can't do it alone, they need some help up front to keep guards and centers outta their face

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JeezusJuice said:
Yeah, I completely made those stats up. I also hacked the espn and nfl websites, not to mention everyother webpage that has NFL stats. I hacked all those websites and changed Nick Barnett's stats.

As a Packer fan you should know this quote "stats are for losers."

I'm not sure where I said you made the stats up or where I questioned that they were true. I'm not arguing with his numbers but I really don't care how many tackles he had because he came up with air most times when we needed him to make a play (a la Darren Sharper). How many drives were extended when Barnett had a chance to make a play but missed a tackle? It was at least in double digits this year.

JeezusJuice said:

Not sure what you mean by this. I assume you mean he's greater than my life? That may be true, but he still tackles like absolute sh*t.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
I'm not sure where I said you made the stats up or where I questioned that they were true. I'm not arguing with his numbers but I really don't care how many tackles he had because he came up with air most times when we needed him to make a play (a la Darren Sharper). How many drives were extended when Barnett had a chance to make a play but missed a tackle? It was at least in double digits this year.

And if you improve the structure of the defense around him, there will be less of a reliance on Barnett to make all these plays

I don't see the reason for the attacks on Barnett, quite honestly he's all we got

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure how improving the other players helps Barnett avoid missing tackles. He won't be an elite LB until he stops missing tackles.

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
I'm not sure how improving the other players helps Barnett avoid missing tackles. He won't be an elite LB until he stops missing tackles.

Everybody misses tackles here and there. If we had better players around him then we wouldn't have to rely on Barnett to make as many plays. You mentioned he makes a lot of hits 8 yards down field. A lot of that can be contributed to other guys not making plays, and him having to go make the hit.

Reaction score
Yes Barnett could benefit from some help, but regardless he still over-pursues too much for my liking. He is getting better under the coaching of Bates, no doubt about that.

And about drafting Ngata, THAT WOULD BE A BIG MISTAKE. In the bowl game, he was absoulotly late on the snap, didn't impress me with his speed or awareness either. Yes he gobbled up blockers, but I would still like to see more than that. I say we go with Hawk, or Mario Williams.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
And about drafting Ngata, THAT WOULD BE A BIG MISTAKE. In the bowl game, he was absoulotly late on the snap, didn't impress me with his speed or awareness either. Yes he gobbled up blockers, but I would still like to see more than that. I say we go with Hawk, or Mario Williams.

one game

whatever we don't draft at #5, we're gonna draft at #36...one mock i really liked had us taking Hawk at #5, and LSU's DT Claude Wroten at #36...there's a chance Penn State's Tamba Hali makes it to us at 36, but i doubt it

Weissman1989

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JeezusJuice said:

Not sure what you mean by this. I assume you mean he's greater than my life? That may be true, but he still tackles like absolute sh*t.

Yea agreed.... Im not sure if you remember and i am turly sorry i have to bring this up again, but sharper delivered the late hit on TO coupled of years ago in the playoffs agaisnt the 49ers and we lost, and he also played 35 yards deep on a 4th and 26 and allowed fred-ex to crush a championship season....

My point being SHARPER SUCKS.... and Barrnett is too small for the middle, plus he has good outside speed. I just felt like backing up walker on this

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cmon now, Barnett was the leading tackler in the NFC(or close ..something), he cant make every tackle now. It would be great if he could, but even the urlachers and ray lewises miss some from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts