Offical Gameday Thread: Packers vs Cardinals

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Me too. I went to bed after the 3rd quarter so didn't see the end, but my main thought in my head on the pillow was for this guy.

I hate injuries to anyone like that, knees, ankles, necks.

And I consider tackles like the one Quintin Mickel did to Grant, and this one by MD Jennings on Williams, to be "careless" or "wreckless". Maybe not "dirty", but there are reasons nobody teaches to tackle in that manner.

Sometimes you cant help how you tackle, you just go to get the guy down

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Finley was beasting again. Anyway, Tramon Williams only allowed one completion to Fitzgerald. Nice.

Receiving corps look amazing!! Even the rookies.

I am kind of worried about the O-line... I keep thinking what Peppers and Suh are gonna do to it. Happy thoughts...happy thoughts.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I took away from the game:

-LG really needs to step it up. I really don't want MM to limit his playcalling where he can't have an empty backfield for pass protection.

-1st team O is really not showing their card whatsoever. Very evident when you consider that in the 1st two preseason games, they turned on a switch and ran (not marched) down the field with ease. MM has something up his sleeve and I think it's going to be much more utilization of the no-huddle offense. I think Rodgers is ready for this as he now has complete command of the offense. I can also see MM using it just like how he did in these preseason games (to wake up the offense). We have a history of coming out flat in the second half, so I wouldn't be surprised if we start the 2nd half using no huddle to break this pattern.

-We need to tackle better. I didn't like how we tackled whatsoever. Period.

-Morgan Burnett is showing up! He looks alot more aggressive out there. Maybe he follows the media and heard about how ppl said he was so "Asante Samuel."

-Alex Green did a great job coming out of the backfield. Needs time to get better in pass protection. I didn't like how (even though it resulted in a TD) he hit the hole with ONE HAND on the ball. Not good especially with his history of fumbles at Hawaii. He'll clean it up though.

-Walden and Zombo showed me nothing. Zero pressure and moved at a snail-like pace. Zombo's spin move atrocious. Maybe I am spoiled b/c Clay is a straight up honey badger, but still... they need to get it going.

-DE...
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Oh yeah... and you gotta love how Arod and Greg Jennings welcomed Patty Peterson to the NFL! Wooooo!

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
while I am slightly concerned about baby swiss returning, I think its too early to worry. The only grip I have at the moment is MM calling plays that results in our franchise QB getting sacked.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if we will have to keep 6 WRs on the team. Its the one position we could have an injury and I would pretty much just shrug.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
We know for sure Jennings, DD, Nelson, and Jones will be our wr's but West just made a case last night that he should be up there with them.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
while I am slightly concerned about baby swiss returning, I think its too early to worry. The only grip I have at the moment is MM calling plays that results in our franchise QB getting sacked.

MM said in his presser tha the deliberatedly called plays to evaluate players. Particularly in the early drives, he called A LOT of deep passes.

It's no coincidence both games, when we went to the no huddle offense, with Rodgers calling the plays, that we started MURDERING opposing defenses.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM said in his presser tha the deliberatedly called plays to evaluate players. Particularly in the early drives, he called A LOT of deep passes.

It's no coincidence both games, when we went to the no huddle offense, with Rodgers calling the plays, that we started MURDERING opposing defenses.
I love A-Rod!
He does his homework on the opposing teams. He actually studies so that he knows what to do and he is taking on a commanding role and being a really good motivator for the whole team.
He is working at it in between games instead of just ignoring things between games and then showing up like 5 minutes before game time and going out there to just throw the ball out there because he thinks he is so good.
I doubt that he will ever be a prima donna. Unlike a previous QB we had. Yeah. You know who I'm referring to. Lynn ****ey.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes you cant help how you tackle, you just go to get the guy down
I know, but in the olden days, when a runner was about to "get away" and leave a defender in their dirt, the defender would try and "shoe-string" tackle them, trip up their feet.
But they'd often get a foot in the face... and it hurts. Plus they'd have to dive.
It's easier for a defender to lunge up high and not have to dive, or risk a kick to the face (which is a facemask anyway), so now they lunge up high.

Mickell did it to Grant, from the back-side angle.
I didn't like that tackle, or MD Jennings last night.
Cowardly, lazy, irresponsible tackling IMO, which occasionally leads to devastating injuries.

I'm pro-safety and nobody is perfect, but I always err on the side of more safety if possible. That's why I support Goodell in keeping guys from diving at QB's knees.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
a lot of things to clean up still. Zombo and Walden need to be able to get better pressure. We need to tackle better. And let's get some protection for our QB's pleeeease

Zombo had that broken shoulder blade..

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
Same as last week, I'll post my thoughts on the game.

-Rodgers still sharp, Flynn looked very good

-nice to see Finley out there catching balls again, looked like his old self in that limited time

-Mike Neal needs to stay on the field, I'm really starting to worry about the DE spot opposite of Raji

-staying on the DEs, Jarius Wynn was pretty much a non-factor against Arizona's 1st-team OL (a terrible unit) though he performed a little better against the 2s

-I kinda like this M.D. Jennings kid. He always seems to be in on a tackle, coverage seems OK.

-Graham Harrell had a much better game this week than last. He appeared more in control, making smarter decisions and throwing a more accurate ball.

-Alex Green reminds me of a lot of Marion Barber. From the dreads to the thick thighs to his running style to his solid pass-catching abilities, he really compares well to MB3. He has that same quick burst and violent running style that Barber does. Needs to improve the pass-protection though.

-Derek Sherrod is really struggling, even against the 2nd-teamers. The coaches should pick a spot and keep him there. We are in trouble if Clifton or Bulaga go down.

-Marshall Newhouse is also not playing well. I saw numerous times that he was blown 5 feet back almost immediately by 2nd-stringers.

-I really felt good for Chastin West. A guy who is trying his best to latch on as a 6th WR/special-teamer but will probably never have much of an NFL career and he makes that big play. It was great to see all the top players on the team pat the guy on the helmet.

Members online

Latest posts