offensive players to get radios in helemts??

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
NFL | Offensive players to have radio receivers in helmets?
Sun, 21 Jan 2007 08:59:04 -0800

Mark Gillispie, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports the National Football League is developing plans to put radio receivers in the helmets of all offensive players, which would enable them to hear the quarterback's signals and line calls. The system is scheduled for testing during the 2008 NFL Europa season. At that point, the league's competition committee will decide whether to implement it in the NFL.

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I first heard about this idea I immediately pictured QBs telling WRs exactly when to make their cut, what way to go, ect., and thought it was a bad idea. Then I realized that they can shut the network or whatever down after each snap, so I don't mind the idea now. Some people will complain that it takes away the crowds ability to cause false starts, but personally I wouldn't miss that.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I first heard about this idea I immediately pictured QBs telling WRs exactly when to make their cut, what way to go, ect., and thought it was a bad idea. Then I realized that they can shut the network or whatever down after each snap, so I don't mind the idea now. Some people will complain that it takes away the crowds ability to cause false starts, but personally I wouldn't miss that.

I can see it now...........huge speakers on the sides of helmets, with rap music blaring! Spinning "Nike" logos on their shoes! :rotflmao:

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some people will complain that it takes away the crowds ability to cause false starts, but personally I wouldn't miss that.

I will complain about that, that's a huge benefit to playing at home. You have your back to the endzone and your fans help you out by screaming their hearts out. All part of the environment.

As of now, I don't like the idea, but that could always change I suppose.

bavpb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
jdlax said:

I can see it now...........huge speakers on the sides of helmets, with rap music blaring! Spinning "Nike" logos on their shoes! :rotflmao:

Here's a speaker with a helmet on.....
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

.....wait a minute.....you said helmets with speakers on, didn't you?.......never mind :rotflmao:

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Screw the NFL and their 'competition commitee'. Stupid rules like roughing the passer, 'blow to the quarterback's head', and other crappy ideas like this are what's going to ruin this sport.

fvre4mvp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's bad but it could be worse. Did anyone ever hear of bone conductivity??
Bone conductivity passes sound waves through the teeth by biting down on a sensor and are used in snorkels. I could easily see guys using this method with their mouthguards.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't like it - not because i think players are gonna cheat but come ON. it's a lil bit like spotters in racing - never really liked that either - changes the sport completely, imo.

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
jdlax said:
Some people will complain that it takes away the crowds ability to cause false starts, but personally I wouldn't miss that.

I will complain about that, that's a huge benefit to playing at home. You have your back to the endzone and your fans help you out by screaming their hearts out. All part of the environment.

I figure you lose 8 chances for your home crowd to do this, and you gain 8 chances where their home crowd can't. It evens out, right? :p

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan said:
jdlax said:

I figure you lose 8 chances for your home crowd to do this, and you gain 8 chances where their home crowd can't. It evens out, right? :p
Yes, but then the home crowds wouldn't have any reason to cheer anymore, as they would know it made no difference. It would take part of the fun out of being there. You might as well stay home and watch on TV.
After all, the "NFL" DOES stand for NoFunLeague!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Screw the NFL and their 'competition commitee'. Stupid rules like roughing the passer, 'blow to the quarterback's head', and other crappy ideas like this are what's going to ruin this sport.
I agree with this. What i mean is, some of the calls made are just plain wimpy. A D-lineman rushes the QB, puts his arm up to try to knock down a pass, and his arm bumps the QB's helmet. "Blow to the QB's head!" If the guy really whallops the QB's head, THEN call it. Or if it's obvious the guy is REALLY roughing the passer. I have seen WAY to many iffy calls on this. It's got to the point where if a D man BREATHES too ******* a QB, they will penalize it.
It's like the kid that brings a 2 inch long "GI JOE" action figure gun to school, and they suspend him for bringing a weapon to school. (Yes, this really did happen!)
Refs need to be able to have a little leeway to make a call, or let it go if it is obvious it wasn't an attempt to lay out a QB.

Latest posts