Offensive line, Defensive line, Safety, Tightend, or Inside Linebacker?

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where do we begin and who do we take? Honestly, after watching our O-line… it needs some help, but so does our pass rush and coverage. Let the countdown to draft time begin.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ILB is on that list too. Brad Jones is terrible and every OC knows it. Hawk is ok as long as his compliment doesn't suck. I like that crazy Skov cat from Stanford. He is a 2nd/3rd rounder I believe.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
How's this? what about converting a quick tight end like Cuarless, to play curial 3rd down plays,he's tall strong and fast and can keep up with the long receivers, these short DB's are getting torched….

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
How's this? what about converting a quick tight end like Cuarless, to play curial 3rd down plays,he's tall strong and fast and can keep up with the long receivers, these short DB's are getting torched….
If he could cover. There's no point in him keeping up when they go one way and he goes another.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Outside of Sammy Watkins falling to us, I see no reason any offensive position should be an early focus for TT, assuming Bulaga can come back around and either EDS returns or Tretter shows something.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we really need to start winning in the trenches. A lot of Rodger's sacks can be blamed on holding the ball, but even so his pocket collapses extremely quick compared to most teams in the playoffs. Kaep had all day and so do most of the other QBs especially Brady. We need to give our MVP the time he needs to make decisions. We are also loosing on the D-line. We can't get any pressure with our front 7 so that needs attention. I know we need a play maker at safety, but I think the trenches are far more important.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Didn't see that at all. All but like 2 of our sacks were coverage sacks on AR. He had time and plenty of it, nobody was open.

DL: Raji 1, Datone 1, Worthy 2, Daniels 4, Boyd 5, Wilson 7, Pickett FA (1), Jolly FA (6), Neal 2.
OL: Bulaga 1, Sherrod 1, Bakhtiari 4, Tretter 4, Sitton 4, Lang 4.
S: Burnett 2.
ILB: Hawk 1, Barrington 7, Jones 7.
TE: Finley 3, Quarless 5, Taylor 7.

When you chart it out, it's rather obvious where we need to spend picks. DL can rot for all I care, re-sign Wilson/Jolly (or Pickett) for dirt and put him next to Boyd with Daniels/Worthy/Jones at RE on the other side. If Trg can't hack it with all those picks, then maybe he should go back to a 43 team.

Last edited:

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
B J Raji? 8 MIL contract! Very easy to get done…..Just show him film of this years performance, and yesterdays audition..8 mil? Pay Him or Pass Him?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
B J Raji? 8 MIL contract! Very easy to get done…..Just show him film of this years performance, and yesterdays audition..8 mil? Pay Him or Pass Him?
Heard on another forum we have 27.5 in cap, 7 of which is roll over that we'll probably hold on to again in case we need an emergency signing. 20.5 mil. We have 9 picks, and the guy used an average of .7 mil per pick, which comes to 6.3 mil. Meaning we have 14.2 to sign FA, including our own. Shields will take 7 and EDS will take 3. Meaning we have 4.2 mil left for most likely Kuhn, Neal, Quarless, and Flynn. That goes down a bit if we Tender anybody. Even if we cut Tramon's salary by 2 mil and only leave 5 mil for emergencies, that still leaves nothing for BJ, nothing for any big names

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dline, ILB, S, OL in that order of preference. We need a safety but adding another young player at safety on an already young defense won't help the communication and assignment breakdowns. We need two safeties back there that can make sure everyone is on the same page.

I say dline first because a great pass rush can compensate for a LOT in this league, which is why ILB is second. As for the OL, we have a great QB that can make an ok OL look good. You don't need a dominant offensive line to succeed in the NFL.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dline, ILB, S, OL in that order of preference. We need a safety but adding another young player at safety on an already young defense won't help the communication and assignment breakdowns. We need two safeties back there that can make sure everyone is on the same page.

I say dline first because a great pass rush can compensate for a LOT in this league, which is why ILB is second. As for the OL, we have a great QB that can make an ok OL look good. You don't need a dominant offensive line to succeed in the NFL.

Can't quote that enough. Aaron makes this line look better than it is. You can see the difference in a quality o-line. It's a nice clean, U shaped pocket. I'm not saying it should be the first round pick, but if we get a chance at Taylor Lewan, Greg Robinson, Cameron Erving, or Antonio Richardson in the mid to late first, I'd take them. This would be depending on the combine. I would be just as happy getting someone like James Hurst in the 2nd or 3rd though. I don't think you can ever have enough talent on the O-line. That being said I know everyone loves EDS, but I think it would be wise to grab a Guard/Center in this year's draft. Not early, but around round 4 would be nice. This way we have some serious competition at the position. I know we've yet to see Tretter, so who knows.

I 100% agree with you Hypon though, we need some help at linebacker. I feel like this is one of those positions we rarely get right. For some reason we never get any 3-4 DTs that can make an impact either… ok this might not exactly be true, but we haven't had any studs there. As Sunshine points out safety is almost a need to be filled outside the draft. We run a complicated system if we stick to it and a young safety will take some time to adjust and we're running out of time slowly, but surely.

Purely for selfish reasons I'd love to add another receiving weapon to this team early. If ASJ drops to the second I'll be drooling. I'd be beside myself if we ended up with another late steal on offense like Allen Robinson, Jordan Matthews, Davante Adams, or if Jaelen Strong comes out. If not I'd love to take a chance later on with someone like Donte Moncrief or Kasen Williams.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Hurst is a RT only. He only looks good because the freshman on the other side gets abused by the better players.
I actually like an OL of:
LT Bakhtiari Sherrod
LG Sitton Tretter
C EDS Tretter
RG Lang Barclay
RT Bulaga Barclay
But if you want a good fit check the kid from Vandy, Wesley Johnson. Can play anywhere.

Not a big fan of Moncrief or Greg Robinson. They just don't pass my eye test.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just for fun it would be REALLY cool to see Mike Evans or, in the unlikely event he falls, Lee in this offense. I would absolutely hate the pick and Perry much give up on a Super Bowl defense but WOW would that offense be awesome.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Evans is ridiculously overrated. Watkins> Benjamin> and I like Matthews better too.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree that Watkins and Lee are better than Evans but neither of those guys is going to last to 21. Maybe Matthews is better but Evans has much better size (something we lack). There's no way you'll convince me that Benjamin is better. Benjamin is the same size but a worse route runner and slower. Benjamin will most likely become a TE in the NFL if he's going to be succesful.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree that Watkins and Lee are better than Evans but neither of those guys is going to last to 21. Maybe Matthews is better but Evans has much better size (something we lack). There's no way you'll convince me that Benjamin is better. Benjamin is the same size but a worse route runner and slower. Benjamin will most likely become a TE in the NFL if he's going to be succesful.
If I had to pick one to move to TE, Evans would be that guy, not Benjamin.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
First round, first pick, the BEST SAFETY available . Enough said.
Not that simple. Define "Best." LJ>HaHa but LJ is undersized. Best at what? What about fit? What about a CB convert like Roby? All of these factor in to the "Best" rated player. Cue impertinent table thumping response:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that simple. Define "Best." LJ>HaHa but LJ is undersized. Best at what? What about fit? What about a CB convert like Roby? All of these factor in to the "Best" rated player. Cue impertinent table thumping response:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Calvin Pryor at S is moving up very fast on the draft charts after declaring. I don't know much about him, but if Clinton-Dix isn't available when the packers pick in round 1, maybe they could trade up and get him early in round 2, or trade down a little bit for an extra 4th rounder or something.

Be nice to get Mosley at ILB in round 1, but that probably ain't happening.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Calvin Pryor at S is moving up very fast on the draft charts after declaring. I don't know much about him, but if Clinton-Dix isn't available when the packers pick in round 1, maybe they could trade up and get him early in round 2, or trade down a little bit for an extra 4th rounder or something.

Be nice to get Mosley at ILB in round 1, but that probably ain't happening.
Pryor is a really good prospect looking forward to seeing him in (I think it's) the Seniorbowl. He just jumped HaHa on CBSSports. There goes my hopes of snagging him in the 2nd.

greenNyellow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Draft ILB and safety in the first 2 if not 3 rounds. Hawk needs to be paired with a playmaker. And our safeties suck. Tramon and Shields must be back and Raji can walk.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers can land CJ Mosley in Round 1, he'd be a great pick. But it's doubtful. The top safeties atm are Clinton-Dix, Calvin Pryor and behind them Dion Bailey. Whether they are 1st rounders or not isn't clear. Clinton-Dix is felt by more than a few to be overrated. The Packers could trade down and get either Pryor or Dix late in the 1st or early in the 2nd. If they don't get Mosley, that's what I'd do.

So my preference would be:

Trade #1 for an early #2 + early #4.

Round #2: Clinton-Dix or Pryor

Round #2: Anthony Steen, Ala. A OG who is ready to play OC. Everyone thinks that our OL is set as long as we can get everyone healthy. I'm not sure about that at all. EDS is ok but not good. Tretter has potential but that's all. Steen looks legit.

Round #3: Shane Skov, ILB Stanford. He's exactly what we need. Might have to spend the round 2 pick to get him.

Members online

Latest posts