Offensive Line Competition

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ProFootballWeekly.com - Keep an eye on 'other' Packers rookie O-lineman

"Although Packers first-round draft pick Bryan Bulaga has a much higher profile at the moment, we hear it would hardly be a shock if Marshall Newhouse — the other offensive lineman selected this year by the Packers four rounds after Bulaga — ends up making more of an initial impact in his rookie season. The reason for this is the wide-open competition that is expected at left guard, where veterans Jason Spitz and restricted free agent Daryn Colledge, who has yet to sign his tender, are not considered very strong front-runners at all. Enter Newhouse, who we hear has enough size (6-4, 319 pounds), athleticism and intelligence (a whopping 32 on the Wonderlic test) to possibly mount a challenge for the starting OLG job right away."

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said it during the draft, Newhouse has as much potential as Bulaga in playing LT at the next level. If for some reason Bulaga doesn't pan out (God forbid that happening) then I think Newhouse can take over. I think Newhouse is a bit raw and isn't as technically sound as Bulaga but Newhouse's physicality reminds me of a younger Walter Jones. If Newhouse can improve his footwork then we're going to have a Michael-Oher/Jared Gaither situation. What to do with two good LTs??

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Newhouse is more and more looking like a great pick. :)

So I take it Newhouse could start this year while Bulaga is on the bench?

I don't think either of the two will start. Newhouse is being developed to play LG and Bulaga at LT. Currently we have Clifton starting at LT no matter what and Colledge/Spitz being the primary candidates for LG. Add TJ Lang into the picture (who had a solid rookie season) and you've got yourself an overcrowded O-line. I will say this though, if any such injury occurs during the season I won't run into the bathroom crying that our season is over :mad2:

OP
OP
CM_Awesome

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say this though, if any such injury occurs during the season I won't run into the bathroom crying that our season is over :mad2:

Haha, your reminding me of how I felt early last season. Watching Rodgers get sacked over and over again, while I'm getting the urge to throw something at the TV! lol

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need two tackles so if he turns out to be able to start then great, otherwise next year we might be drafting another tackle.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're forgetting about Lang...

No Im not, I just dont know if he will be a starting tackle or not. If he was ready we would havent needed both chad and mark. I hope he is our tackle of the future.

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ProFootballWeekly.com - Keep an eye on 'other' Packers rookie O-lineman

" The reason for this is the wide-open competition that is expected at left guard, where veterans Jason Spitz and restricted free agent Daryn Colledge, who has yet to sign his tender, are not considered very strong front-runners at all."

Spitz can stay, but Colledge can **** his over paid and under achieving tattoo'd butt right out of Titletown anytime he does not feel the love he thinks he deserves.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No Im not, I just dont know if he will be a starting tackle or not. If he was ready we would havent needed both chad and mark. I hope he is our tackle of the future.

I think Chad and Mark were resigned for insurance purposes. I don't think Lang is starter material yet but by midseason this year he should be.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why is the offensive coordinator even messing with the idea of putting Spitz at Guard? He's our best option at Center.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have very little faith in Campen's ability to turn any of these guys into pro-bowlers. He can't decide which position a guy should play, or who should play. Remember--he was the one that put Barbre in the starting lineup and almost got Rogers killed.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why is the offensive coordinator even messing with the idea of putting Spitz at Guard? He's our best option at Center.
I disagree.

Spitz was nothing short of terrible playing C from the beginning in 09. He was, in fact, so lost at calling the protection shifts, that a lot of times defenders shoot through untouched (Bears S, Julian Peterson to name a few). Curiously, that didn't happen with Wells at C. In fact, he did wonderfully well against the elite NT in Casey Hampton, Pat Williams, Shaun Rogers...

He's not as good on the run, but at pass blocking, Wells is great. And he's by far our best C.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A)I have very little faith in Campen's ability to turn any of these guys into pro-bowlers.
B)Remember--he was the one that put Barbre in the starting lineup and almost got Rogers killed.
I don't love Campen, but A) Josh Sitton is already a Pro Bowl quality lineman. The actual voting is as reliable as Lindsay Lohan.

B) Good point on Barbre, but I suspect there was some pressure there from TT>MM to Campen to get one of TT's picks in there.

By the way, good call on Wells as our CLEAR best center. I have been LMAO for 2 years listening to Greg Bedard convince the Packer Peanut Gallery that because he's bigger, Spitz is better than Wells. Wells gets the job done and there are about 20 teams that would get upgrades if they had Wells as their center.

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By the way, good call on Wells as our CLEAR best center. I have been LMAO for 2 years listening to Greg Bedard convince the Packer Peanut Gallery that because he's bigger, Spitz is better than Wells. Wells gets the job done and there are about 20 teams that would get upgrades if they had Wells as their center.[/QUOTE]

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Green Bay's best all time center was Jim Ringo, ( Rest in peace) and Ringo was tiny at 225, when the defensive tackles in the day went at 250 - 275.

He was smart, quick off the snap, and made the line calls. I see some of that in Wells also.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a nice article of Chad Clifton saying that he's willing to mentor Bulaga: Green Bay Packers LT Chad Clifton ready to play, ready to mentor rookie Bryan Bulaga | greenbaypressgazette.com | Green Bay Press Gazette

Clifton says:

“Absolutely,” he said. “With the injury issues we had last year, we needed to start getting younger. That was a good pick for us. I look forward to meeting the guy and teaching him what I can teach and watching him grow.”

A very classy response by Clifton. As I was saying back in April when we were contemplating about resigning him, I thought it should be a no brainer since he could really tutor a future LT in the works. Well Clifton is preparing to do just that. I hope him and Bulaga manage to help each other out this season. We all know that Clifton isn't going to be here forever and the fact that he's willing to give the kid a few pointers makes me feel good about our O-line. I'm glad we resigned him.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a nice article of Chad Clifton saying that he's willing to mentor Bulaga: Green Bay Packers LT Chad Clifton ready to play, ready to mentor rookie Bryan Bulaga | greenbaypressgazette.com | Green Bay Press Gazette

Clifton says:

A very classy response by Clifton. As I was saying back in April when we were contemplating about resigning him, I thought it should be a no brainer since he could really tutor a future LT in the works. Well Clifton is preparing to do just that. I hope him and Bulaga manage to help each other out this season. We all know that Clifton isn't going to be here forever and the fact that he's willing to give the kid a few pointers makes me feel good about our O-line. I'm glad we resigned him.
That's great. Cliffy is such a great guy... He knows that his time is coming, but that fans will forever be greateful to him.

He'll always be one of the best LTs the Packers ever had.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The hardest thing will be to get the image of Tony the Moll out of my mind when I see Bulaga out there in #75.

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The hardest thing will be to get the image of Tony the Moll out of my mind when I see Bulaga out there in #75.

If the kid from Iowa amounts to anything, I'll always point out that Forrest Gregg wore #75 and played offensive tackle too.

:drinks:

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the kid from Iowa amounts to anything, I'll always point out that Forrest Gregg wore #75 and played offensive tackle too.

:drinks:

Excellent point. We need another lineman like this:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why haven't we retire Gregg's number yet????

Yeah, it's funny since Vince said he was the best football player he ever coached. I suppose they need the numbers since the NFL restricts numbers to positions now. It would be nice if they never issued the number, like Hornung's 5, to honor him.

Number 4 should be given to somebody every year forever, but the Packers will probably wait until it's retired by the Yikes to do that.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, it's funny since Vince said he was the best football player he ever coached. I suppose they need the numbers since the NFL restricts numbers to positions now. It would be nice if they never issued the number, like Hornung's 5, to honor him.

Number 4 should be given to somebody every year forever, but the Packers will probably wait until it's retired by the Yikes to do that.

Maybe it would upset the "favre fans" so much that they would stop coming to GB. Wouldnt that be nice...

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it would upset the "favre fans" so much that they would stop coming to GB. Wouldnt that be nice...

I was as much a Favre fan as anybody, until his selfishness took over. Now, he'll be a Viking in my mind forever. Not much worse that I could call him.

Members online

Latest posts