offensive coordinator Joe Philbin

D

Dan115

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported on "Monday Night Countdown" that Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin, 50, has been contacted by Tulane University, which is looking for a head coach.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's the one thing I don't like about winning.

Opportunities arise for coaches/coordinators on winning teams, and it's hard to keep the staff together once a team has success.

How long before Dom Capers is also offered another shot to be a HC in the NFL?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I hope Capers is too old to be offered another HC job. (Young up-and-coming OCs are the ticket, right? :)) And I hope being a part of what is taking place in Green Bay is special enough for him so that he wouldn't want to leave. He's done the HCing thing twice now and I hope it's out of his system. BTW the Raiders are apparently interested in poaching McKenzie from the front office so yes, that's definitely the price teams potentially pay for success.

Here's what I find interesting about the reported offer to Philbin: IMO McCarthy is the de facto OC of the team so it is very difficult for those of us on the outside to know how much Philbin really contributes. I remember thinking the same thing when Packers fans advocated for the firing of Tom Rossley by Sherman. It was my impression Sherman was the de facto HC and Rossley was basically just taking orders from him. If that indeed was the case, it would have been difficult for Sherman to fire a guy carrying out his orders. Back to Philbin: He started as an OL assistant coach and worked his way up to OL before being named OC when Jeff Jagodzinski left for BC. Of course he must have learned a ton from McCarthy but who knows how much of the offense is attributable to him?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts