Offcial gameday thread: Packers @ Browns

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a heartbreaking loss, more like a "bleh" kind of loss.

A lot of players were missing from the starting lineup, including Finley, Matthews, Woodson, and basically our entire secondary corps, so I expected a rough game against the Browns. Cobb was impressive, and it's nice to see that Grant & Starks are running well. Harrell was awful, though. Has to work on those fumbles.

Hate to see this team lose, but like I said, that's what the preseason is for. Looking at, and examining, our flaws.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I thought it was ok. The Browns left their starters in longer. Ours (at least the ones who were active) were a little rusty the first series, but got in the groove the second series and looked pretty good. Then we saw no more of them. A lot of guys really blew their chance to make the team with their play tonight. I think Grant might lose his starting position to Starks. Starks looked better, quicker and more aware. Unfortunately I think the special teams are still weak. It might be time to replace Slocum.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't care about wins or losses in preseason.

They can go 0-4 and lose by double digits for all I'm concerned. All that matters is they get out of this with as few injuries as possible, find some gems for depth, and get some playing time for rookies.

The starting offense had a scoring drive so they get a thumbs up. Don't care about defense because they play ultra conservative during this time.

1982 Washington Redskins and 2008 Detroit Lions are testaments to how meaningless the W/L is during this time.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Hey guys it was a preseason game. Nothing to worry about. Take a look at what I call preseason karma

Last year 49ers went 4-0 in preason and was preaching all that **** "We gonna win the division!" and they went 6-10

The Colts were winless last year in preseason, and made the playoffs. Actually the Colts go 0-4 or 1-3 almost every year in preseason and proceed to win a ton of games that up coming year.

Preseason don't count, it's just warm up. I'm not worried about this game. Thought some of our third and second string was off, but then again you can't take this game seriously. They will get better, have some faith.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought it was a solid performance. "Starters" tied up the game. Backups got us the lead heading into the Half. 3rd stringers and 4th stringers lost the game and most of these guys won't make the final cut anyways.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya don't be too ******* this game guys... no off season will make anyone rusty and it hurts the 2nd and 3rd string the most. Cobb looks great... our secondary back ups need some work though. With the small showing of Grant he looked to have a burst which is good. It just the first preseason game though guys, not really anything to worry about.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Dont forget, no mini camps, not as many practices...I dont even know how much the rookies got to know the playbooks if at all..

Our 2nd team vs their 1st team for a bit..

Woodson didnt play, Sam Shields I believe wasnt suited up either..Finley wasnt playing

So those getting all pissed off or worried, have a beer and relax

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I least concerned about this loss

Take a look at teams that rank high in preseason and what happens to them later on. I think Detroit was 4-0 in preseason when they went 0-16.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
And don't forget...the Packers lost to the Browns last year in the first pre-season game. How'd that season turn out? :yes:

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, a different off-season -- FOR EVERYONE including the Browns. We had no greater disadvantage because of the off-season than anyone else. In fact, as has been consistently posted here and elsewhere, the "different off-season" if it favored anyone, favored the Packers, so I'm not accepting that excuse.

That's true but teams have different objectives in preseason. We were without a bunch of starters, played Rodgers two series. I think McCarthy wanted to see what some of the younger guys had and played it that way. In fact he said that after the game:

“I’ll say this, we were able to get everybody in the game,” McCarthy said. “Personnel evaluation was the No. 1 priority. We wanted to win the game, we always play to win the game. But personnel evaluation, operations of the sideline, management of your personnel, those are the three focuses that were expressed to the team. With the personnel evaluation being the A-No. 1 priority.”

Anyway, I'm not getting my ******* in a knot over a preseason game. We'll be fine.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Injury Notes: Injury news from Cleveland | Packers Insider

Is it just me, or would we be good still if our current #5 & #6 WR's were the only 2 out there?
Randall Cobb and Shaky Smithson are good! I love those guys.
They both look great as return guys too. Actually, didn't see much of Shaky as a WR.... Gurley got more action and so did Borel.

Lang and Sherrod rotated on the OL and neither guy appeared to do bad or great.... but the team film breakdown will clear it out more.
I really want Lang to be the LG for the next 7 years... think he can settle in and be a good one.

I want Bulaga and Sherrod to simply be our bookend-OT's for the next 6-10 years, after Clifton hangs it up.
Marshall Newhouse also has a chance to be a good OT, but maybe OG too? I don't see him as a guard though.

Pat Lee's days have to be numbered.
Jarrett Bush looked more like 2008 Jarrett Bush than 2010 Bush.

Colt McCoy is good. I was pissed that the scouts docked him so much coming out of Texas in the Big 12.
He performed as well both stat-wise and win-wise as conference rival Sam Bradford. But because Sam is bigger while Colt is small (like Brees-size), and because McCoy has a more average arm (like Montana), they docked him down while Bradford was the #1 overall pick.

Sam may be better and have more upside, but Colt is good and a winner.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It’s foolish to make too much of pre season games, particularly the first one. That’s even more true now because of the lockout. With that in mind IMO the players who did themselves well were Cobb, Anthony Levine who is battling for the number 4 safety spot, and CB Josh Gordy. I thought Morgan Burnett got off to a very good start. In spite of what Rich Gannon (who is not a good analyst IMO) said, the knock on Burnett has been he is not physical enough. He’s more athletic and covers better than Peprah, but he needed to be more physical vs. the run and he did so.

I watched three players closely. One was Jarius Wynn and I was disappointed. I saw him use the swim move a couple of times and get some penetration but I also saw him do nothing on too many plays. On what I considered his best play of the night, he executed a “cross rush” with Green and put pressure on the QB. Then a few plays later, he ended up on his butt, being put their by one Cleveland O lineman on a run. As expected, Capers didn’t show much last night – there was only one sack - so the DL didn’t have the pass rushing opportunities they will have once the season is underway, but I was hoping to see more from Wynn.

The other two players I watched was Lang and Sherrod when they played LG. Both did well IMO. I thought Sherrod may struggle there but both played OK. Lang missed a LB on a run to the right but he got to the second level well. However, if the starting LG spot is going to be won by which one will be better backing up LT, my guess is Sherrod will win it. He’s going to be way ahead of Lang at LT. I’d prefer the better LG of the two wins the spot but if they’re close…

I thought Marshall Newhouse had a poor outing – he whiffed at RT on a few pass blocks. After reading the reports from camp, I thought he’d look better.

The Drew

The Drew Cave
Reaction score
So I was ready to roll... 24 pack of Miller lite and some Royal Fu** shots... I don't care if it is preseason... It is Green Bay Packers football!!!

First possession was weak... Rodgers seemed a little off... but that second drive looked like they picked up right where they left off...

I think James Starks looked better than Ryan Grant on his limited carries... Grant seemed a little misplaced at times... but it is still good to have that 1/2 combo.

Matt Flynn looked good but I think we are all expecting too much out of him after his performance against the patriots. I could tell his was frustrated because the second team wasnt getting it done besides Cobb.

I really enjoyed watching Cobb do his thing... That slot position is perfect for him and he is great after the catch...I was excited to see what Smithson would do but he really didn't perform as I would have expected.

Sherod held his own... I was impressed... Hopefully he will hold up during the rest of the preseason.

It was good to see Morgan Burnett back at safety... Even though we were slim at the CB spot I think we held our own... It also seems as if we need more push on our 2nd and 3rd team D line... they really didnt apply much pressure.

Colt McCoy looked good for the Browns... He had them rollin... Just glad there were no major injuries!!! Overall good game.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to blame this one on the lockout and lack of practice/ workout time. I think they will move on from here with their heads held high. Surely they have learned something from this game that they can take forward. This doesn't ruffle my feline fur one bit. Go Pack Go!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This was posted somewhere else

I did not think the Packers played very well and I did not see the vaunted "depth" of the team.

Some people need to step off the ledge

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really, we just won the Super Bowl are favored to win another, are young and deep in talent at most positions and somone is upset about a preseason game showing. I don't get it. :shok:

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Really, we just won the Super Bowl are favored to win another, are young and deep in talent at most positions and somone is upset about a preseason game showing. I don't get it. :shok:

LOL and it's just preseason, EVALUATION. Most 'real' teams don't take it seriously cause it don't count.

If we were starting the season 0-1 losing by 10 then we got something to complain about, but we really don't lol. Let them work their kinks out in the 4 preseason games and don't worry about it.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Let me begin by saying that I clearly understand that this was a pre-season game and that they do not "count" for getting us any closer to the post-season, and I am certainly not pessimistic nor am I ready to throw in the towel, but I would have to say that overall (and yes, I understand that it was not the starters) the Pack played very, very sloppy football. The way they played was no better than a few years ago when they were one of the most penalized teams in the League (a lack of discipline issue). That, my friend is not a good sign, and I don't care if we are favored or how deep we are; if we don't play well-disciplined football we have no chance whatsoever of getting back to the Super Bowl. There is a reason they play the games and why there is truth to the old adage: "Any given Sunday." I really don't think the rest of the League is going to roll over and play dead because we are favored to repeat and because we are "deep in talent."

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have three more preseason games. I expect the Packers will iron out the kinks by then. We have 90 players on the roster now so a certain amount of slopliness is expected. We are in the process of deciding who the final 53 will be. I trust McCarthy to work through this process in a deliberate and effective manner. I also want to see the Packers win and I don't like sloppiness which granted we saw last night. But I see things now as a means to the end. If we play this way in the regular season (which I don't think we will) then that will be the time to get excited imho.

Members online

Latest posts