OFF-SEASON TALK (Rumors, Draft, Trades, Free Agents ect.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
The Bleacher report predicts that 5 veterans will leave the Packers this year; Driver, Clifton, Grant, Finley, and Walden. That didn't even take into account Flynn.

DON BARRETT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack could spend some $$$ and Mario Williams or should they just try to develope a first or 2nd rounder and hope for the best?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you mean available? Like he's scheduled to become a FA? Even if that's the case, I don't see any possibility of him leaving Houston.

DON BARRETT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think the texans have the $$ to keep him, we need a pass rusher bad not so bad that we need to blow the whole *** on someone. But i doubt TT does it as they dont like to spend $$ of FA. Everone almost had a cow when the signed Reggie White back in the day. Take a chance again on draft and hope for the best but it does not take a rocket scientist to figure it out we have no pass rush at all. You have to get to the QB!! or you will be sittin at home watching the Superbowl!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Cause and effect: Did you see the Packers run a lot of bump and run coverage this year? -Didn't think so. The secondary was being asked to do some things that our personnel isn't comfortable with. If we can get after QBs, the secondary can return to the bump and run man coverage it's built for...
I've posted a link to an article in which Capers talks about the breakdowns in the secondary twice. In it he talks about Williams getting beat repeatedly by the same route. Why would Capers say that if it weren't true? (It makes him and his assistant coaches look bad.)

As I posted above, pass rush is need number one; even so Williams didn't match his play from last year - and that's not just my opinion, the guy who knows more about it than either of us says so. IMO Shields didn't play as well as last season either. Peprah probably was about the same but lack of pass rush and loss of Collins exposed him.

Rnoeblbsyon16

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers just aren't known for offering crazy $ contracts. I just don't see it happening. Would be nice though!

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Houston isn't going to let him go very easy when their defense was a powerhouse this season.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
The thing is last year him and Bishop seemed to play so well together. The drop-off in productivity in the span of one off-season has been remarkable...the team seemed to regress the the one that allowed Kurt Warner to throw for more TD's than incompletions two years ago in the Wild Card Round.

The Packers aren't going to be able to trade Hawk with that contract TT signed him to...they're going to have to cut him. I don't see Ted doing that merely a year after he extended him.

The shame is if they could cut him, Grant is gone etc etc..you could feasably keep guys like Wells and Finley.

Something everyone forgets about Hawk is he wears the helmet with the headphones in it. He is the playcaller. A lot of plays he is just getting his head back around when the ball is snaped. That has got to slow you down a step.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I've posted a link to an article in which Capers talks about the breakdowns in the secondary twice. In it he talks about Williams getting beat repeatedly by the same route. Why would Capers say that if it weren't true? (It makes him and his assistant coaches look bad.)

As I posted above, pass rush is need number one; even so Williams didn't match his play from last year - and that's not just my opinion, the guy who knows more about it than either of us says so. IMO Shields didn't play as well as last season either. Peprah probably was about the same but lack of pass rush and loss of Collins exposed him.

Pass rush is definitaly number one issue. Secondary would be alot better with pressure on the QB. Going to be interesting in the draft. TT is a BPA drafter, we have a lot of picks this year. he could make some moves to be in position to pick up a couple of impact players in the first round if he thinks he will get value without selling away the future.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Only if Mario is willing to sign a good contract to be on a championship team

cupacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as OLB, I like Andre Branch from Clemson. Probably b/c I'm biased, but I don't care. He's ranked #13 by Kiper but in his 1st draft he has New England picking him up 31st/32nd. So, there's a possibility we could still pick him up at 28, but he'll need to be at the top of the BAP list.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have heard that they are likely to lose him.
I also would love to get him.... he would help our crappy defense become so much better.
It's a pipe dream and if you hold your breath on this one, you will perish.

Even if Ted wanted to, the awful contract that AJ Hawk just got last year would pretty much need to be unloaded, and cutting him doesn't help the books this year. Would have to find a sucker willing to trade for him/that contract.

Ironic thing is that draft of 2006 where we had our first top-5 pick since 1992 of Terrell Buckley, many mocks in January-April had us taking Mario with that #5 pick, not Hawk. But Mario rose fast late and the Texans shocked everyone taking him #1 overall, over Reggie Bush.

I'd love to sign Mario so badly, then we can add more pieces with the draft picks around him.

Now, back to reality.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something everyone forgets about Hawk is he wears the helmet with the headphones in it. He is the playcaller. A lot of plays he is just getting his head back around when the ball is snaped. That has got to slow you down a step.
That is a good point, and it makes me wonder who wears it in Baltimore and San Fran.
San Fran's 2 inside linebackers Novorro Bowman and Patrick Willis don't seem to slow down for anything, and they don't miss tackles, and they force turnovers.

Still amazed that in this whole season, realcalicheese, Justin Harrell, and Jamal Reynolds each forced the same amount of turnovers this season as Hawk did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts