Now that the homer blinders are off....

Dieseljunkie12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can vent all we want, plead for change but we know more than likely nothing will be different next season. We will have the same coordinators just different jobs. I feel like everyone's name goes into a hat and they just get drawn out. Leroy butler will be the special teams coach and Kevin Greene will be the offensive coordinator. But let's have fun with this, name one person you would love to see go or one thing that truly grinds your gears.

Tackling, apparently packers defenders really don't like to make contact with the other team. How many times can we just watch them swipe at a guy or not even attempt to make a play.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is surprised, it has been commonly said that if Rodgers went down we would be terrible.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is surprised, it has been commonly said that if Rodgers went down we would be terrible.

I don't know if it's been "commonly said" ... but I always believed it. That, because I've never been sold on the 3-4 scheme. ....and I'm not even a Capers hater (wouldn't be sad to see him replaced, but, with whom?)

DOCTORAPK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can vent all we want, plead for change but we know more than likely nothing will be different next season. We will have the same coordinators just different jobs. I feel like everyone's name goes into a hat and they just get drawn out. Leroy butler will be the special teams coach and Kevin Greene will be the offensive coordinator. But let's have fun with this, name one person you would love to see go or one thing that truly grinds your gears.

Tackling, apparently packers defenders really don't like to make contact with the other team. How many times can we just watch them swipe at a guy or not even attempt to make a play.
If TT IS HERE
..NOTHING WILL CHANGE.....HE MAY STOCK UP WITH ABOUT 25 7th round picks.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if it's been "commonly said" ... but I always believed it. That, because I've never been sold on the 3-4 scheme. ....and I'm not even a Capers hater (wouldn't be sad to see him replaced, but, with whom?)

The difference between this defense and previous ones of capers is lack of turnovers

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
The difference between this defense and previous ones of capers is lack of turnovers

To be sure...but, that doesn't explain today. We got the turnovers. We just didn't convert them and then, the offense's penchant for 3 and out ... turns into a 40 to 19 minute advantage in possession. Rodgers at the helm, keeps Capers boys off the field...and if they're not on the field, they can't be staging their own little version of a Black Friday Doorbusters Sale....as they did today... AGAIN.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I don't mind being a blind homer. I lived through the 70's and 80's with the Pack and stayed true and enjoyed watching them and rooting for them. I love the Packers plain and simple. I'd rather be a blind homer than a fickle lover who dumps his girl when she isn't looking as pretty. :D

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I'd rather be a blind homer than a fickle lover who dumps his girl when she isn't looking as pretty. :D

I'm with ya, Croak, except that this "girl" today was ugly enough to make a freight train take a dirt road. ;)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
To be sure...but, that doesn't explain today. We got the turnovers. We just didn't convert them and then, the offense's penchant for 3 and out ... turns into a 40 to 19 minute advantage in possession. Rodgers at the helm, keeps Capers boys off the field...and if they're not on the field, they can't be staging their own little version of a Black Friday Doorbusters Sale....as they did today... AGAIN.

I have said that but my reasoning gets poo-poo'd

Up until rodgers is hurt we had top 5 rushing d...Since then they dropped past 20th

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I don't mind being a blind homer. I lived through the 70's and 80's with the Pack and stayed true and enjoyed watching them and rooting for them. I love the Packers plain and simple. I'd rather be a blind homer than a fickle lover who dumps his girl when she isn't looking as pretty. :D

????????? :eek:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
One stat showed our off with 4 in a row of 3 and outs..And those didnt take hardly any time off the clock..

Just like b4 the half...Pack got the ball and I told my nephew watch, Pack go 3 and out and Det gets ball with 55 secs left...They went 3 n out, and Det got ball with 1:02 left

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
We aren't a very tough football team. We rely too much on Rodgers. Our Strength Coaches suck. McCarthy's playcalling is predictable and often dumb. And Capers is not a very smart coordinator either.

And all of these things have been issues for some time now. I just don't think anybody cares.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I have said that but my reasoning gets poo-poo'd

Up until rodgers is hurt we had top 5 rushing d...Since then they dropped past 20th

Precisely. Football is really and truly a 'team' game... all facets ofthe team linked by small webbed capillaries binding the game's outcome to the play of all units of the team -- right down to the individual players. Everything plays off the other ... in sports, it's the closest thing we have to an equal and opposite reaction...

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Does it make the Packers weak because they have arguably the best QB in the NFL and go down hill in a hurry when he's out? Nah... it doesn't. Case in point, Colts went down the crapper BIG time when #18 messed up his neck. Rodgers' injury only illustrates how important it is to have that kind of talent at the position to experience the kind of winning the Packers have had over the last 21 seasons.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone seriously think that time of possession was the reason for this poor defensive performance? Hell they came out of the shoot getting huge gains on their first series...and they never let up. Accept the fact that the defense is just bad.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone seriously think that time of possession was the reason for this poor defensive performance? Hell they came out of the shoot getting huge gains on their first series...and they never let up. Accept the fact that the defense is just bad.

Of course the defense sucks..but it isnt just about the TOP....You are missing the whole picture..

The less amount of time our defense is on the field----Detroit cant score, correct??

But more importantly our offense can score when they have the ball...

Read this part again..

We got the turnovers. We just didn't convert them and then, the offense's penchant for 3 and out ... turns into a 40 to 19 minute advantage in possession. Rodgers at the helm, keeps Capers boys off the field...and if they're not on the field, they can't be staging their own little version of a Black Friday Doorbusters Sale....as they did today... AGAIN.

Do you feel that if we get 4 turn overs, and Rodgers is q/b, we go three and out each of those 4 times? We know the answer is no, you know they have at least one nice long drive...

You, just like all of us, believe Rodgers can get at least 7 points, if not more off those 4 turn overs...

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This Packers team I always felt closely resembled the Colts under Manning. Great quarterback, but team sucks when he's not on the field. 1 Super Bowl win. Injuries! A defense with tremendous talent, but apart from one year struggled to put it all together. A Pro Bowl Safety whose career was derailed by injuries. Great regular season win pct. but not the best in the playoffs. A struggling run game for a number of years. A draft-first conservative GM. I don't even know what all else, but I've always felt that.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This Packers team I always felt closely resembled the Colts under Manning. Great quarterback, but team sucks when he's not on the field. 1 Super Bowl win. Injuries! A defense with tremendous talent, but apart from one year struggled to put it all together. A Pro Bowl Safety whose career was derailed by injuries. Great regular season win pct. but not the best in the playoffs. A struggling run game for a number of years. A draft-first conservative GM. I don't even know what all else, but I've always felt that.

Colts under manning sucked in the playoffs every year because of peyton. Rodgers is a great post season QB

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In defense of the current regime I will say the team had lots of injuries before AR went down...losing their best player put this team past the limits of "next man up". The injury plague that has affected this team over the years has been the biggest thing holding them back from winning another Super Bowl IMO. That being said, the reality that has been solidified over the last month is that AR is worth every penny. He seems to makes every aspect of this team better, as maybe should be the case for a guy whom the franchise must dedicate such an amount of salary cap space to.

Going against TT is just HOW terrible these guys have looked in AR's absence. It's absolutely fair to expect a significant drop-off in play, but the Packers have gone 0-4-1, without having to play even one elite opponent. It's fair to question just how good this roster actually is...therefore, it's fair to question just how good TT actually is.

The reason Indy fired Bill Polian was because it became readily apparent that the roster, aside from Manning, was awful. The question that should be posed to Packer fans is, "Is TT really that good?" Or did he just make one great selection that has made him look like a genius?

At the end of the day, TT and MM aren't and shouldn't go anywhere yet, but if he doesn't get rid of Dom Capers I will officially and finally have lost faith in and be done with McCarthy. If he doesn't fire the entire strength and conditioning staff I will be done supporting MM. We only have so many years with AR at the helm...I hate to see them squandered because MM is buddies with his coaching staff. Also, maybe the time has come for TT to grow a little and get a little more involved in the other options available to him to improve the team.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I never thought we would be this bad.

The drop-off in the offense has been staggering and all the draft picks we've invested in the defense haven't paid off.

We went from 5-2 with Rodgers to 0-4-1 without (against weaker opponents). It's obvious this team is entirely too reliant on a single player. That points to shortcomings with the way the team is designed (Thompson) and operated (McCarthy/Capers).

Here's the part none of us want to acknowledge: Rodgers' massive contract makes retaining talent around him harder.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The quality of the OP matches that of the play of the Packers today. I'd say it should have been added to another thread, but it really isn't even worthy of that.

Latest posts