PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Notes: Plenty of incentive for Green
Running back nears yardage milestone
By LORI NICKEL
[email protected]
Posted: Dec. 28, 2006
Green Bay - There's more than just the playoffs and a team record on the line. There's a decent chunk of change, too.

If Green Bay running back Ahman Green can get just 12 rushing yards Sunday night at Chicago, he'll have 1,000 this season. That would be his sixth 1,000-yard rushing season as a Packer, a team record. He would surpass Jim Taylor, who had five 1,000-yard rushing seasons in his Green Bay career.

When Green signed a one-year contract before this season, one of the incentives was an additional $500,000 if he could get 950 rushing yards. He's already earned that.

But there is another incentive: If he has a big game against the Bears and rushes for at least 162 yards, he'll have 1,150 for the year. And that will net him another $500,000.

It's quite an incentive for the Walter Payton fan - playing at Chicago, possibly with the playoffs on the line, going for a team record, more money and possibly playing for his future, either as a Packer again next season or somewhere else. But he declined to discuss it all Thursday.

Green's achievements this season are already impressive, coming off the season-ending thigh injury a year ago, playing behind a young offensive line and with a quarterback who has been among the NFL leaders in pass attempts. It hasn't been the ideal set-up.

"I overheard him talking about it in the trainer's room one day," center Scott Wells said. "Somebody asked him what he needed to hit 1,000, because that's the goal for every running back. Sixteen games is a lot of time to do that, but given that he came back from injury, and we had some games where we've had subpar running performances as a whole, I mean that's great.

"And I think he missed a couple of games this year (two, hamstring injury), and there's been some games where we've been behind so we had to pass. So he hasn't had as many opportunities as one might think. It is definitely an honor to block for a 1,000-yard rusher, especially for a guy like that."

Pickett hurt: Defensive tackle Ryan Pickett missed practice Thursday because he rolled his ankle Wednesday but he said he expected to play against the Bears.

It was the same ankle that he hurt in September, which caused him to miss two practices. Coaches initially listed him as doubtful for the game at Philadelphia, but Pickett rebounded and played, and hasn't missed a start all season.

Thursday, the Packers listed Pickett as probable.

Also, Donald Driver missed his second straight practice because of a shoulder injury but Green and Charles Woodson returned after missing Wednesday.

Defensive tackle Alfonso Boone (toe, probable) was added to Chicago's injury report; linebacker Leon Joe (hamstring) and tackle John Tait (ankle) were upgraded to probable and guard Ruben Brown was removed from the report after being listed with a shoulder injury.

Red zone work: Wells said the Packers had devoted extra time this week to work inside the 20-yard line on offense. Whether it was team work or scripting plays, they've been in the red zone a lot in practice.

"It's not really the play-calling that's the problem down there, it's the execution," Wells said. "I look at the past two games in particular. We got into the red zone where we had a penalty that made it second and long, third and long, or has eliminated a positive play. We had a screen that got us down inside the 5 and we had a holding call that brought it back. Or you fumble the ball going in. We've hurt ourselves in there. It's not that the plays aren't good. It's just stupid things, mental errors."

Both receivers Greg Jennings and Ruvell Martin might have expanded roles as the Packers continue to try to find ways to score. The Bears have kept Favre from throwing a touchdown pass in the last three meetings.

"We're not going to give up on the red zone just because it's Week 17," Martin said. "It is something you're going to continuously work on until you find a way to fix it."

Double duty: Offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzonski is looking forward to taking over as head coach at Boston College after the season but he's still engrossed with the Packers. So for the moment, Boston College comes second to Packers vs. Bears.

It helps that the recruiting period doesn't start again until mid-January, so Jagodzinski is in no rush to end the NFL season. In fact, it would help him in recruiting if the Packers reached the playoffs because of the additional exposure for his offense.

"I'm looking forward to that challenge (at Boston College) but I really want to do the most I can here to help us win and get into the playoffs," Jagodzinski said. "The thing about the NFC, there's a lot of teams right there."

Whenever the Packers season ends, Jagodzinski will take a day or two in Green Bay to complete his work and pack up for good. His first objective is to hire a staff. He has people in mind but doesn't want to do any hiring based on phone interviews; he wants face time with candidates.

"That's the most important part is your staff, the people you surround yourself with," Jagodzinski said. "I learned that from Mike (McCarthy).He said, 'Make sure you're diligent and check on every guy; make sure you are absolutely sure on who you're getting.' He's been really helpful because he's been through this."

Jagodzinski also got a call from Seattle quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, a former backup in Green Bay and quarterback for Boston College.

"What a quality guy he is. His whole family was like that, his mom and dad and (brother) Tim," Jagodzinski said. "That type of guy, he embodies what BC is all about."

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish they would not resign Green. Unless he would stay for one year, which I dont think he would do. The way I look at it is that we have Moorency who has done a very good job when in there, and you never know when Green will hit the old age wall.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish they would not resign Green. Unless he would stay for one year, which I dont think he would do. The way I look at it is that we have Moorency who has done a very good job when in there, and you never know when Green will hit the old age wall.

Green would be an excellent 3rd down back. I like the guy and would love to have him for another year. Sure Morency is coming around, but I don't think Morency is ready for 25-30 carries a game (which Green used to get in his heyday). I'd like to see both of them split the load.

Green still has the burst. Our OL is just young and needs work. I think it will be a lot more solid next year and we'll see the RBs doing better, and hopefully dominating the game like they used to do back in '03.

Jakest3r

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Morency IMO is a great backup HB. He does well when he gets his chance and does well with his burst of speed. But I do not see Vernand as a starter in the NFL. That's why I think we should get a RB in the draft. But i'd say get a WR/S in the 1st round.

Members online

Latest posts