Notes: Hawk a hard hitter on diamond, too

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers linebacker gets some cuts in BP
By TOM HAUDRICOURT
[email protected]
Posted: April 4, 2007

With a few tips from Skaalen, Hawk hit a couple of balls out of the park Wednesday when he dabbled in a little early batting practice with the Brewers. His brother, Ryan, a quarterback for the Green Bay Blizzard of Arena Football 2, also took some cuts.

Hawk, who said he hadn't played baseball since he was 13 and never had used a wood bat, was having trouble making solid contact until Skaalen called him over for a few pointers. Skaalen had seen athletes from other sports over-swing when taking BP for the first time.

"They get all jumpy, trying to launch," said Skaalen. "I just told him to keep his head down and still, and to use his hands."

Hawk then stepped back in the cage and sent a couple of offerings from pitching coach Mike Maddux over the fence in left at Miller Park.

"It's been a few years," said Hawk, who was decked out in a Brewers uniform. "It was fun though. I hit a couple out. I really wasn't sure I could do that with a wooden bat."

Hawk, whose wife, Laura, was on hand, later threw out the ceremonial first pitch. Geoff Jenkins, who some say resembles Brett Favre, made a nice scoop of the hard one-hopper.

Hawk said he quit playing baseball when he got to high school to concentrate on football.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts