Notes: Favre, Rodgers take the field

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By TODD ROSIAK
[email protected]
Posted: May 31, 2007

Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers are back to full strength at quarterback.

Quarterbacks Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers take part in practice Thursday in Green Bay.

Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers, who were limited in the off-season as they continued their recoveries from surgery, were cleared to resume full activity and took part in all portions of practice Thursday.

"I thought they looked good," coach Mike McCarthy said. "I mean, (Favre) just anticipates so well, and those are valuable reps for the younger players. You can see, one or two to James Jones, coming out of the break and the ball's there, those are the little things that you just can't get enough of, and I thought he threw the ball well.

"I think Aaron's throwing the ball extremely well. He's been throwing the ball well all spring, and now we've cut him loose medically. I'm very pleased with the progress he's made."

Favre had ankle surgery this off-season, and Rodgers had surgery to repair a broken foot late last season. Both participated in the Packers' mandatory minicamp two weeks ago but neither was able to go in the live, 11-on-11 work, leaving second-year man Ingle Martin to do most of the heavy lifting.

Favre, who was taking part in the first of his nine scheduled practices, looked sharper than he did in the May minicamp, although he was picked off once by linebacker A.J. Hawk during 7-on-7 work. Rodgers again looked solid in taking his snaps with the No. 2 offense.

McCarthy said he hadn't asked Favre to do any extra passing at home in Mississippi, and added that the coaching staff would continue to monitor how many throws he makes in practice, just as it has in years past.

"I'd like to sit up here and tell you that I've been telling him to throw 35 times a day and things like that," he said. "Frankly, I think he's done it long enough that he knows what he needs to do. We put him on the pitch count in the first minicamp just to be smart and he didn't throw a whole lot. And it was more because of the ankle that we were holding him back there. He's full go."

Missing in action: Although it clearly wasn't as big an issue as it was last year at this time, a number of notable veterans were no-shows Thursday for the team's first open voluntary practice.

According to McCarthy, cornerback Charles Woodson is working out on his own in Houston.

Also missing were cornerback Al Harris, tackle Junius Coston and defensive tackles Ryan Pickett and Corey Williams.

"I have no concerns. I can just tell you this: Every member of our football team we've been in direct communication with," McCarthy said. "As far as the individuals that are not here, No. 1 it is voluntary, No. 2 I have no concerns because the individual plans are in place."

Injury list: First-round draft choice Justin Harrell was once again held out of the live portions of practice as he continues to recover from a biceps injury he suffered early last season at Tennessee.

McCarthy said the team's medical staff would re-evaluate Harrell's status next week, but the possibility remains he won't be fully cleared until training camp in July.

"If you watched him work out in the weight room, you'd wonder why he's not practicing full-go," McCarthy said. "If you ask Justin, he's ready to go. We're just being smart."

Linebacker Abdul Hodge (knee) might also have to wait until training camp for live work.

Defensive end Aaron Kampman, who had knee surgery in the off-season, appears to be getting better.

"If we played this week or next week, I feel strongly that Aaron will be out there," McCarthy said. "Just being cautious with him."

Wide receiver Robert Ferguson (foot), meanwhile, is expected to be cleared for full activity sometime next week.

Also missing practice Thursday were safety Marviel Underwood, running backs Arliss Beach and DeShawn Wynn, guard Tony Palmer, tackle Kevin Barry and wide receiver Chris Francies.

Extra points: McCarthy said there had been no repercussions felt on the football side regarding the team's recent front-office shakeup. "We haven't felt any effect from what's gone on this past week," he said. "Once again, the leadership of our organization is intact." . . .

Tight end Bubba Franks and defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila continue to fight to regain their status as former starters; both once again were relegated mainly to working with the second team. . . .

Tempers flared twice Thursday, the first time with guard Allen Barbre getting into a scrum with defensive tackle Daniel Muir and once again shortly thereafter when tight end Zac Alcorn took exception to the defense being played by end Jason Hunter after a reception.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad they are being careful with Harrell. No sense in taking the chance on him reijuring his arm so early in camp.

Members online

Latest posts