Not the jealous type but...

D

Deleted member 6794

Packers are at just under $28M in cap space. Cobb and Nelson count for $5.5M against the cap. Contract extensions this offseason would jump their combined cap to an easy $12M if not higher. Nelson could get 8-9 a year and Cobb around 5-6. That leaves us at around $19M. TT probably wants to roll over around $10M and needs around $4M to sign drafted players. That leaves us around $5M to resign Raji, eds, Neal, Kuhn, jones or sign a free agent.

I don't expect the Packers to sign both Nelson and Cobb to long term deals this offseason, so there should be more money available to make some moves.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Who has embarrassed us repeatedly?

We've played Seattle once in past two years. Lost in Fail Mary.
Two years ago, SF beat us good in two games. This past season, both games were close, including the playoff game when we were shorthanded to a ridiculous degree (remember, we had Mulumba on one leg playing the last drive b/c of our injuries).
Haven't played Denver recently.
Haven't been beaten repeatedly by any other teams.

Good try.

1. Pack-12 was commenting that he wasn't going to feel jealous for the 49ers as they were embarrassed in the SB.
2. My response to him was that this was the same team that embarrassed us repeatedly.

Then you ask which team I am talking about? Ok, the answer is: 49ers.

My opinion is that the 49ers have owned the Packers and outright embarrassed them for the past two years. Last season was better for the Packers, but I do not subscribe to the feel-good story that it was "close" and that the Packers nearly won with a one-legged Mulumba. Whatever. 0-4 in the past four games including two playoff defeats.

Until the Packers beat them, it is likely that the memory of Kaepernick running down the field like Forrest Gump will continue to be a haunt.

And, thanks for the atta-boy. It means a lot, coming from you.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doubt I could rant like that, but I too am more than a little disappointed. We have extra cash to spend, why not use SOME of it, not all of it. I was hoping for an impact guy as well, but guess uncle Ted is still shopping at K-mart for our gifts, so we wont get anything worth while.

Like a SB or 3 straight division titles or a 15-1 season.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. And I am one of those who doesn't understand FA workings nor do I study the Packer's cap vs. time closely.

Similarly, I was thinking that Lamarr Houston would be a nice addition, but 5 year, $35M is a deal that I am glad Ted didn't make. Also, Jarius Byrd at $56M? I would have loved to see him in green & gold, but... Wow-- no way at this price.

But TJ Ward at 4 year $23M? Really? I wish GB would have got him for that.

Or A. Bethea? 4 years at ~$24M? Very reasonable, I think, for an instant starter.

These are 1st day FAs that wouldn't have caused GB's financial model to come crashing down into Washington Redskin territory.
okay. I would actually say the Houston deal is better than the Ward deal. I think Houstons performance in the end may very well warrant the pay. And I am one who actually thinks we will be fine at safety. Maybe we find a quality starter early in the draft, I think there are a few. Or if we move Hyde to safety, I think he will be good there.

D

Deleted member 6794

Or if we move Hyde to safety, I think he will be good there.

IMO ignoring the safety position for the second offseason in a row and hoping Hyde will work out there without any backup plan would be lunatic.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you name a big name, 1st day free agent that a team signed and the team got significantly better in the last few years? I've asked this in another thread and all we've come up with is big name guys who haven't made team better.

Edit: non QB player since that's what the Packers need.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

Who cares when they were signed, does signing an impact guy on the tenth day instead of the first make a difference. I can name plenty of impact players that were signed during FA and helped lead their team to the super bowl.

The reason many people are starting to get restless is that many of the high quality players that were out there and filled a position of need for us have been signed. To me this means TT pulled his usual thing and was not active in FA, and if there was ever a year to break that trend this was the year.

I just don't see a way, outside of giving players poor contracts, that the 20 million we have on the books will all be spent.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who cares when they were signed, does signing an impact guy on the tenth day instead of the first make a difference. I can name plenty of impact players that were signed during FA and helped lead their team to the super bowl.

The reason many people are starting to get restless is that many of the high quality players that were out there and filled a position of need for us have been signed. To me this means TT pulled his usual thing and was not active in FA, and if there was ever a year to break that trend this was the year.

I just don't see a way, outside of giving players poor contracts, that the 20 million we have on the books will all be spent.

I was asking about 1st day in free agency guys because many people here were frustrated with TT after just the first day of free agency.

My point was winning the 1st day of free agency hasn't resulted in big success for teams. I bet out of the plenty of impact players you can name, many of them were not signed on the first day.

The are weeks left and still quality guys out there that will not require being overpaid. No need to jump to a conclusion say TT is going be inactive the entire time.

And we don't have to spend all the money. If TT doesn't find guys worth paying, no sense in spending the money just because it's there.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with most of this... but don't kid youself. Those games against the niners weren't nearly as close as it looked on paper.

Hyde dropped a pick six that would have finished that game off. EDS missed a block on Cobb's run that could have put them in much better position to score. The packers stopped the running game until the last five minutes, which was their true Achilles heal all year and by far the main thing that needs addressing in the off season. That game was very close and a thousand times closer than the year before. AND we didn't have Mathews or Jolly or Bulaga or Finley etc etc. Take Smith and Staley out of the game and see how the 9ers are. Don't tell me we're not close to the 9ers man. Come on.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hyde dropped a pick six that would have finished that game off. EDS missed a block on Cobb's run that could have put them in much better position to score. The packers stopped the running game until the last five minutes, which was their true Achilles heal all year and by far the main thing that needs addressing in the off season. That game was very close and a thousand times closer than the year before. AND we didn't have Mathews or Jolly or Bulaga or Finley etc etc. Take Smith and Staley out of the game and see how the 9ers are. Don't tell me we're not close to the 9ers man. Come on.

He's not the only one that spews that crap about the niners being soooooooo much better than the pack.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'll "come on" all you want. We lost. The "what if's" are garbage. Since when is it remembered 23-20 49ers (But Hyde dropped a pic six, EDS missed a block on Cobb's run that could have put them in a better position to score. The Packers didn't have Matthews/Jolly/Finley/Shields... blah/blah/blah)...? Pretty sure that doesn't go into the box score.

I'll sit here and tell you that we're not close to the 9ers all day... until we beat them. Sorry.

Some of you guys need to realize that we aren't stellar. We have holes. Gaping. We are probably about the 5th to 8th best team in the NFC. Take your goggles off for God's sake. Some of you act like nothing favorable happened to them in any of those games... Missed calls, or a Cobb TD return on a punt that missed a CLEAR holding penalty - I was at that game, we all saw it). I don't think (outside of this forum) that you'd find any football fan that would say that as of March 12th, 2014 that the Packers are really that close the the 49ers in terms of talent...

I'm not bashing the Packers. I'm as big a fan as any of you. I'm simply being realistic. It is what it is at this point.

Last edited:

packfan1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously hate the. broncos right now . I'm really starting to dislike FA more and more every single yr. The Packers have money to pay guys like Nelson and Cobb and yet still sitting on money? What is TT waiting for? md jennings? mike meal or Ryan Pickett? Woodley and Spikes are names but not big names..immediate upgrades ? If diddly squat is going to be done on offense at least bring Koned and Starks back. Try to score 35 a game smh. I would like to apologize to Capers. I'm sorry for calling for your head in all fairness you didn't have a lot to work with and you still don't . That's to bad . In the year we had a good defense Jenkins was here, Woodson, Collins. It's no accident that the defense is where it is. A chance to add playmakers seem to be an after thought . Keep fingers crossed and hope rookies turn out to be players and stay healthy ! I don't expect anything from TT any longer. The magic
number is 20.. The ranking I'll predict for the defense.

Remember the Eagles a couple seasons ago...dubbed "the dream team" due to all their BIG FA signings...? How'd that work out for them. Very poor. Most players that get the big money sit on their a** cause they have nothing to work for at that point and they just try to avoid getting injured. Not. Worth. It. Get the younger talent that has something to prove...and earn.

packfan1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll "come on" all you want. We lost. The "what if's" are garbage. Since when is it remembered 23-20 49ers (But Hyde dropped a pic six, EDS missed a block on Cobb's run that could have put them in a better position to score. The Packers didn't have Matthews/Jolly/Finley/Shields... blah/blah/blah)...? Pretty sure that doesn't go into the box score.

I'll sit here and tell you that we're not close to the 9ers all day... until we beat them. Sorry.

Some of you guys need to realize that we aren't stellar. We have holes. Gaping. We are probably about the 5th to 8th best team in the NFC. Take your goggles off for God's sake. Some of you act like nothing favorable happened to them in any of those games... Missed calls, or a Cobb TD return on a punt that missed a CLEAR holding penalty - I was at that game, we all saw it). I don't think (outside of this forum) that you'd find any football fan that would say that as of March 12th, 2014 that the Packers are really that close the the 49ers in terms of talent...

I'm not bashing the Packers. I'm as big a fan as any of you. I'm simply being realistic. It is what it is at this point.

The 49ers have been better, they've won the last 3 meetings. But you need to realize the game was 23-20. Win or lose, that is close in talent. Many calls in a game...you can't narrow it down to one, as many calls could go either way. We have a quarterback and are a couple pieces away from a championship caliber team. Namely a safety and another pass rusher. Not sure how you rationalize your point being that the last meeting was 23-20. 3 points or less is a game that is one play away from the other team winning. No googles here, just facts.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 49ers have been better, they've won the last 3 meetings. But you need to realize the game was 23-20. Win or lose, that is close in talent. Many calls in a game...you can't narrow it down to one, as many calls could go either way. We have a quarterback and are a couple pieces away from a championship caliber team. Namely a safety and another pass rusher. Not sure how you rationalize your point being that the last meeting was 23-20. 3 points or less is a game that is one play away from the other team winning. No googles here, just facts.

Completely agree that we have a QB. We have the best in the league.

I also agree that we are a couple pieces away. A number of good safties went in FA this year, for a very fair price. TT passed.

However, I'll go through the rosters position by position with someone if they want. They are the more talented roster. By a LONG shot, no. But by a fair margin.

I'm rationalizing it because I watched every game, as most avid packers fans did. And it didn't feel close. Any of the meetings. The last was the closest.

Every time it felt like a momentum stopping situation, we let them convert. The 9ers converted I don't know how many 4 and distances on us over the past few meetings, but it got to the point where it felt like if it was 4th and whatever, that they'll convert. I don't think we stopped them on any of them, but could be wrong. I just know that when it felt like a must stop, we didn't stop them.

I'm not saying we suck. I'm not crying wolf, I'm simply saying that a team has had our number. And until we beat them, I'll continue to say that. I'm passionate, as many of you are because I want them to win dammit. I also refuse to act like a Bears fan and put my goggles on lol... I live in Illinois, bare with me...

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are probably about the 5th to 8th best team in the NFC. Take your goggles off for God's sake.

Stop. Just stop with this nonsense. You can bash the Packers and inactivity in FA all you want. But don't then start doubting just how damn good this team is. Because there is no possible way you can mean what you just said.

1. Seattle - SB winner. Easy.
2. SF - Previous SB participant and had our number. You see the effect of the need to clear cap space for Kaep though taking shape. Released Rodgers. Couldn't sign that S last year, released Whitner for a downgrade in Bethea. Better than us still, but their window may be closing now that they have to pay Kaep.
3. GB - Best QB in the game. Division winner year after year. SB winner in 2010.

The next lot of teams:
Philly - On the rise, but tough to gage just how good this team is. Worse defense than us last year.
NO - One year window left. Went all in with Byrd. If not this year, implosion coming. I wouldn't put them above us until we see it on the field. Close maybe though.
Car - Elite defense. Average offense. Losing players in FA now. I'll take us any day.
NYG - Not anymore.
Dallas - Ha
Atl - Haha
Bears - Cutler still QBs them. We're ok.
Lions - If they couldn't win the division last year, when will they!?!

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stop. Just stop with this nonsense. You can bash the Packers and inactivity in FA all you want. But don't then start doubting just how damn good this team is. Because there is no possible way you can mean what you just said.

1. Seattle - SB winner. Easy.
2. SF - Previous SB participant and had our number. You see the effect of the need to clear cap space for Kaep though taking shape. Released Rodgers. Couldn't sign that S last year, released Whitner for a downgrade in Bethea. Better than us still, but their window may be closing now that they have to pay Kaep.
3. GB - Best QB in the game. Division winner year after year. SB winner in 2010.

The next lot of teams:
Philly - On the rise, but tough to gage just how good this team is. Worse defense than us last year.
NO - One year window left. Went all in with Byrd. If not this year, implosion coming. I wouldn't put them above us until we see it on the field. Close maybe though.
Car - Elite defense. Average offense. Losing players in FA now. I'll take us any day.
NYG - Not anymore.
Dallas - Ha
Atl - Haha
Bears - Cutler still QBs them. We're ok.
Lions - If they couldn't win the division last year, when will they!?!

Whatever makes you sleep at night.

First of all, I'm not doubting that we have quality. On the offensive side of the ball. Our QB, best in the league. Our WR core, I love them. Our O line, I actually like our depth this year. Our TE.. meh. RB situation LOVE it. So don't tell me that i'm doubting the talent on our team. I'd put much of our offense up against any team. Our defense however. SUCKS. Tell me I'm wrong. Give me stats. Outside of CM3, who is injured every year, tell me who is a difference maker. Please....

This homer fan mentality is old. I chose to hold those in the personnel dept accountable. Yes, I do attend 2-3 games a year and spend good money doing so. I love supporting this team. But TT missed the boat last year on a few key positions of this team. Backup QB, DL, and S. How can you logically argue this?

SEA won the super bowl. Were they active in FA? Hell yes they were. Did they go after the crazy, stupid high priced ones? No. But they adopted FA as a means to inject talent into their football team. They also have drafted incredibly well recently (neither of which GB has done.) I'm not now, nor have I suggested that we go on a freaking spending spree. I'm just saying that in addition to the draft and develop philosophy, which I believe in, you've got to supplement free agents into the mix. I don't see why we have such an aversion to this.

SEA. Better
SF. Better
CAR. Good Def>Good Offense (SEA proved it in SB)
NO... Alot closer than you care to probably admit.
Chicago... I don't think you give them quite enough credit.
Detroit... You think Rodgers would have won that thanksgiving day game last year? Really?
NYG.. No
ATL.. No
Dallas.. No
Philly.. No
Minny.. Don't sleep on them under Zimmer.
ARZ.. Great defense a lot like CAR.
STL.. Defensive front is stellar. If they're able to nearly beat SF, don't think they can't beat us on any given Sunday.

Don't care how you toss it, we are in the 5-8 range currently (If it makes you feel better I'll call it 5-6). If you don't agree, I don't care. It's how I see it. We've been beaten the last three years by a team that is known for a stout defense. All I'm asking for is a defense that can at least give Rodgers a chance. Me, just some joe sitting at his computer isn't going to get TT to change his philosophy, but I'm a fan like all of you. And I HATE seeing my team lose. I just want to see TT give a little bit. Not the farm. Just an little bit for once. And not Fred from the local Ihop.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Don't care how you toss it, we are in the 5-8 range currently (If it makes you feel better I'll call it 5-6). If you don't agree, I don't care. It's how I see it. We've been beaten the last three years by a team that is known for a stout defense. All I'm asking for is a defense that can at least give Rodgers a chance. Me, just some joe sitting at his computer isn't going to get TT to change his philosophy, but I'm a fan like all of you. And I HATE seeing my team lose. I just want to see TT give a little bit. Not the farm. Just an little bit for once. And not Fred from the local Ihop.

I'm not going to put all the blame on TT for not fielding a defense and say that's the one reason we haven't gotten further.

Looking at the last three playoff loses, I only see one that's all on the defense.

In 2011, the offense was terrible with 4 turnovers and only had 20 pts. total. In 2012, yes, the defense blew it. Last season, the offense put up the least amount of points of all of the 4 recent 49er games. We expect more that 20 out of Rodgers and the offense even against a good defense.

I don't know how TT was supposed to prevent those offensive letdowns in two of those three games that contributed to the loses just as much as the defense did.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nf...g-demarcus-ware-aqib-talib-tj-ward/?eref=sihp

Talks about how the Bronco's spending doesn't guarantee anything as some people act like it does.

"Because when has any team's free agency splurge -- at least on the Super Bowl-or-bust level -- truly gone as planned? I can't decide if their high-profile acquisitions of the past two days makes the Broncos the most massive Super Bowl favorites in recent memory, or merely the latest ill-fated "dream team'' candidate?"

Before anyone says something about Bennett and Avril, they certainly weren't a splurge.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Completely agree that we have a QB. We have the best in the league.

I also agree that we are a couple pieces away. A number of good safties went in FA this year, for a very fair price. TT passed.

However, I'll go through the rosters position by position with someone if they want. They are the more talented roster. By a LONG shot, no. But by a fair margin.

I'm rationalizing it because I watched every game, as most avid packers fans did. And it didn't feel close. Any of the meetings. The last was the closest.

Every time it felt like a momentum stopping situation, we let them convert. The 9ers converted I don't know how many 4 and distances on us over the past few meetings, but it got to the point where it felt like if it was 4th and whatever, that they'll convert. I don't think we stopped them on any of them, but could be wrong. I just know that when it felt like a must stop, we didn't stop them.

I'm not saying we suck. I'm not crying wolf, I'm simply saying that a team has had our number. And until we beat them, I'll continue to say that. I'm passionate, as many of you are because I want them to win dammit. I also refuse to act like a Bears fan and put my goggles on lol... I live in Illinois, bare with me...

First of all, I'm not doubting that we have quality. On the offensive side of the ball. Our QB, best in the league. Our WR core, I love them. Our O line, I actually like our depth this year. Our TE.. meh. RB situation LOVE it. So don't tell me that i'm doubting the talent on our team. I'd put much of our offense up against any team. Our defense however. SUCKS. Tell me I'm wrong. Give me stats. Outside of CM3, who is injured every year, tell me who is a difference maker. Please....

This homer fan mentality is old. I chose to hold those in the personnel dept accountable. Yes, I do attend 2-3 games a year and spend good money doing so. I love supporting this team. But TT missed the boat last year on a few key positions of this team. Backup QB, DL, and S. How can you logically argue this?

SEA won the super bowl. Were they active in FA? Hell yes they were. Did they go after the crazy, stupid high priced ones? No. But they adopted FA as a means to inject talent into their football team. They also have drafted incredibly well recently (neither of which GB has done.) I'm not now, nor have I suggested that we go on a freaking spending spree. I'm just saying that in addition to the draft and develop philosophy, which I believe in, you've got to supplement free agents into the mix. I don't see why we have such an aversion to this.

SEA. Better
SF. Better
CAR. Good Def>Good Offense (SEA proved it in SB)
NO... Alot closer than you care to probably admit.
Chicago... I don't think you give them quite enough credit.
Detroit... You think Rodgers would have won that thanksgiving day game last year? Really?
NYG.. No
ATL.. No
Dallas.. No
Philly.. No
Minny.. Don't sleep on them under Zimmer.
ARZ.. Great defense a lot like CAR.
STL.. Defensive front is stellar. If they're able to nearly beat SF, don't think they can't beat us on any given Sunday.

Are you calling the Pack 8th best in the NFC? If so-- we beat Atlanta (your #8) with Flynn--With Rodgers it would have been an easier win.

We beat Chicago in Chicago and that was with the Packers horrible defense.

Flynn had 139 yards passing in the Det game..Rodgers would have had more than that...Then that would led to the Packers having the ball longer, which may have led to more scoring.

We just dont know how the game would have ended up with Rodgers, 1st meeting the Pack won..

Right now I will agree Seattle and the Niners are better than the Pack..NO might be a different story

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you calling the Pack 8th best in the NFC? If so-- we beat Atlanta (your #8) with Flynn--With Rodgers it would have been an easier win.

We beat Chicago in Chicago and that was with the Packers horrible defense.

Flynn had 139 yards passing in the Det game..Rodgers would have had more than that...Then that would led to the Packers having the ball longer, which may have led to more scoring.

We just dont know how the game would have ended up with Rodgers, 1st meeting the Pack won..

Right now I will agree Seattle and the Niners are better than the Pack..NO might be a different story

Matt Flynn was atrocious in the Detroit game. Rodgers would have helped a lot.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nf...g-demarcus-ware-aqib-talib-tj-ward/?eref=sihp

Talks about how the Bronco's spending doesn't guarantee anything as some people act like it does.

"Because when has any team's free agency splurge -- at least on the Super Bowl-or-bust level -- truly gone as planned? I can't decide if their high-profile acquisitions of the past two days makes the Broncos the most massive Super Bowl favorites in recent memory, or merely the latest ill-fated "dream team'' candidate?"

Before anyone says something about Bennett and Avril, they certainly weren't a splurge.

Bennett 15 sacks in 4 years with Tampa...3.75 per year, then Seattle signed him to one year deal...Avril was the bigger and better signing

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The basic problem is this: are the Packers good enough to win the SB with the present players that they have from 2013, even if they re-sign all of them?

No. The defense was 25th in the league and every coach, every fan knew at the end of the season that something had to be done to improve it. Dom Capers even spoke up about the lack of players he had to work with.

Have the Packers made any FA moves to improve the defense? No.

Are there any impact players left after 2 days of FA who would really make a difference for this defense? Virtually all impact players are now signed. Who's left? There may be one or two, maybe.

Result? We have the same defense as last year.

Will we get better through the draft? So far, Nick Perry and Datone Jones have not become impact players. They may be next year, but there isn't any reason to believe that it's a sure thing.

The holes that were there in this defense remain, and Ted hasn't done anything yet.

Some of you are saying it's crazy to overpay FAs on days 1 or 2. Sure, but Ted's 'wait and see until the market calms down' strategy to FA may save you money but doesn't leave you with much of any good FAs to choose from because they've all been signed.

Yes, you may find a gem, but has Ted found any gems using this approach to FA lately? Who was the last really good FA the Packers got? Jeff Saturday? <*****> He certainly came at a bargain. Or was it Charles Woodson whom the Packers were willing to dish out serious money for?

Once again this year it does look as if we aren't going to sign an impact player. Ted may sign a FA or two that will help a bit, but no impact players. What will that mean for this defense come September. Is it going to be that much better?

I won't bet my marbles on it. SO some of you can say, relax, calm down, but the fact of the matter is, this is the same defense we had last year so far, and Ted has once again declined to use the FA route. Sure he may sign someone soon, but is there anyone on the horizon that really looks good? If you see them, please point them out to me.

Members online

Latest posts