Not the jealous type but...

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember all the panic about the Vikings signing Jennings and having three first round picks, and how they've surpassed us. Or the Bears actually making a move and getting a new head coach and the Lions signing Bush. They Didn't quite catch up....

They didn't catch up even when we lost Rodgers for more than half the season and Clay for half of it. Doesn't that say something about the state of our team!?!

raj34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They didn't catch up even when we lost Rodgers for more than half the season and Clay for half of it. Doesn't that say something about the state of our team!?!

No, it says something about the other teams. Green Bay didn't force Chicago and Detroit to implode last year. They did that of their own accord.

Now, I'm not disappointed about our approach on Day 1 of free agency. I'm confident Thompson will find a couple of bargain pieces in free agency for our defense. He better, because there is no chance in hell he can fill all the holes in our defense and replenish our skill players on offense in one draft.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do some ppl act like signing A SINGLE good player in FA this offseason would immediately wreck our cap situation. We have nearly 30 million left, AND our two biggest names are under contract already. You can talk about "dumb spending" all you want, but if you want a playmaker, you'll need to pay for him. And with 30 million sitting there, in an era when the cap is on a major rise in the next few years, I don't know what the hell TT is waiting for.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is something to consider when complaining about not getting in on the day 1 action:

From Wilde -
Interesting stat. RT @hawkblimp: Scheduled cap hits '16-'18: Clay Matthews: $12.3M Lamaar Houston: $23M

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ that is due in part to smart structuring, not just overall pay. We tend to have better money/cap gurus than other teams. we seem to keep the core of good players in tact, and that is the key. Others can come and go and be easily replaced.

D

Deleted member 6794

This is something to consider when complaining about not getting in on the day 1 action:

From Wilde -
Interesting stat. RT @hawkblimp: Scheduled cap hits '16-'18: Clay Matthews: $12.3M Lamaar Houston: $23M

^ that is due in part to smart structuring, not just overall pay. We tend to have better money/cap gurus than other teams.

Clay´s cap hit from 2016-18 is a combined $40.15 million though.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
There are 32 teams vying for the SB each season. Some are building primarily through the draft, some through primarily FA, and some with a combination. Over the last decade or so, all the SB winners were teams that build through the draft. Giants, Packers, Steelers, Saints (at the time), Colts account for 7 of the SB and were Draft-Built teams. Only the Seahawks and the Ravens relied on FA. If you look at the core of those teams, however, they were draft picks that carried the team. Is this a new trend? I doubt it.

Since TT's tenure, every season, this is the same reaction of fans. I heard a Packer fan on NFL radio again complaining that the rest of the Division is passing us up based on FA signings and yet TT does nothing. Yet over TTs tenure we have one of the best inter-division records in all of the NFL; we have more division titles than Bears/Lions/Vikes; and have a better overall win/loss record. This includes the last 3 division titles.

PFanCan

Reaction score
Amish: I would say that the Saints SB victory came as a direct result of a big name FA signing (Brees)... That lowers your calculation by one.

There might be more, but I don't have time to look.

And, lastly, though the Packers victory in 2010 did not rely on any "Day 1"-type signings like their 1996 SB did, it did rely on two key cogs obtained via free agency in Woodson and Pickett. Take away just three FAs (including Reggie) in Packer history and I believe that the SB trophy case still only holds two.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amish: I would say that the Saints SB victory came as a direct result of a big name FA signing (Brees)... That lowers your calculation by one.

There might be more, but I don't have time to look.

And, lastly, though the Packers victory in 2010 did not rely on any "Day 1"-type signings like their 1996 SB did, it did rely on two key cogs obtained via free agency in Woodson and Pickett. Take away just three FAs in Packer history and the SB cabinet still only hold two trophies (IMO).

No free agent in this class will have the same impact as Brees.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
But brees too was a gamble..... he was coming off major shoulder surgery to his throwing arm, something SD didn't really feel like taking the gamble on, so they went with rivers......

asifp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reality is that Aaron Rodgers covers up so many gaps in our team that it is incredible.

He is by far and away the best player in the NFL. He could be harassed all day but would never play a crap game like Manning did in the super bowl.

Point is almost all of Ted's succes is due to a draft pick he made 8 years ago. Aaron has covered up a lot of his failings as a GM (inability to draft Linemen and pass rushers being the primary example)

You can plug in any QB besides Rodgers in this Packer team and we would probably be a 8-8 team (Brady and Manning would never be able to get away from the constant harassment thanks to that crap Oline)

Overall I agree with this draft and develop and staying away from big splashy signings (Hello Redskins!) but he should acknowledge his failings. Looking back would you be ok if he gave up a 1st and 4th for stud LT or pass rusher, no.

Woodson should be an example, that bringing in an impact player here and there can help. Dont go crazy but an impact signing every other year is a good idea

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do some ppl act like signing A SINGLE good player in FA this offseason would immediately wreck our cap situation. We have nearly 30 million left, AND our two biggest names are under contract already. You can talk about "dumb spending" all you want, but if you want a playmaker, you'll need to pay for him.
Hopefully, you can draft him and pay $4M over 4 years instead of $40M over 4 years.
And with 30 million sitting there, in an era when the cap is on a major rise in the next few years, I don't know what the hell TT is waiting for.
Thank goodness TT does not have this opinion. 'I have money, so therefore I need to spend it.' TT needs to spend the money wisely. Although we have cap room and it may expand later - the amount we spend is finite. We can invest in a few players who have played well in the past, or we can spread it around and build an entire team.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps.

Not sure, but my recollection is that Saints were mostly draft picks. The defensive line, LBs, WRs, OL, seems to me were mostly draft picks. But Brees is probably #2 on the list of best FA acquisitions of all time. An unusual occurrence of a player who suddenly blossomed after the Chargers invested a high draft pick on his replacement.

JacobInFlorida

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not about upgrading a position, it's about getting value in the contract. Everyone here in awe of the Broncos only see next year. Byrd the player also would be nice to have, but he's not going to make a big enough impact to warrant his contract. There's just not that big of a difference in players in the NFL besides QBs. I know some of you don't care about value and overpaying but our franchise does. I personally think we're better off for it.

PFanCan

Reaction score
Perhaps.

Not sure, but my recollection is that Saints were mostly draft picks. The defensive line, LBs, WRs, OL, seems to me were mostly draft picks. But Brees is probably #2 on the list of best FA acquisitions of all time. An unusual occurrence of a player who suddenly blossomed after the Chargers invested a high draft pick on his replacement.

Agreed that Brees was perhaps #2, right behind Reggie White of course. And certainly Woodson ranks pretty high up on that list considering the 31 other teams that had given up on him at that stage in his career. Point is though that FA does make a difference-- those three surprises alone add up to a significant fraction of three Lombardi trophies.

Look, I am not trying to get into a battle with anyone, nor am I so pissed that I throw darts at Ted's photo. Rather, I am just disappointed that year after year (since the Woodson signing), the Packers do not EVER decide that one of the "Top" FAs is good enough to over-pay for. Ted only over-pays his own guys.

Funny thing is that the only two jerseys that I still own are: White, Woodson.

If I had season tickets, I'd still probably keep them... :rolleyes:

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time feeling jealousy for a team that got embarrassed that badly in the Superbowl.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look, I am not trying to get into a battle with anyone, nor am I so pissed that I throw darts at Ted's photo. Rather, I am just disappointed that year after year (since the Woodson signing), the Packers do not EVER decide that one of the "Top" FAs is good enough to over-pay for. Ted only over-pays his own guys.
We actually probably are closer than you think in agreement. I would actually not mind a few FAs - not the big name guys unless it works out. This year, I thought Houston from the Raiders would have been something we should have considered. I think he is an ascending player and that he played his butt off on an awful team probably means he has some heart to him. He may do even better surrounded by our talent.

What bothers me about the complainers, is that they think TT doesn't sign FA because he is:

1. Not interested in signing FAs
2. Not interested in improving the team
3. Too cheap
4. Doesn't understand how FA works

or this other nonsense.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...Or that embarrassed the Packers repeatedly...?

Who has embarrassed us repeatedly?

We've played Seattle once in past two years. Lost in Fail Mary.
Two years ago, SF beat us good in two games. This past season, both games were close, including the playoff game when we were shorthanded to a ridiculous degree (remember, we had Mulumba on one leg playing the last drive b/c of our injuries).
Haven't played Denver recently.
Haven't been beaten repeatedly by any other teams.

Good try.

greenNyellow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers are at just under $28M in cap space. Cobb and Nelson count for $5.5M against the cap. Contract extensions this offseason would jump their combined cap to an easy $12M if not higher. Nelson could get 8-9 a year and Cobb around 5-6. That leaves us at around $19M. TT probably wants to roll over around $10M and needs around $4M to sign drafted players. That leaves us around $5M to resign Raji, eds, Neal, Kuhn, jones or sign a free agent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully, you can draft him and pay $4M over 4 years instead of $40M over 4 years..

That plan has obviously worked out well for him in recent years....

Thank goodness TT does not have this opinion. 'I have money, so therefore I need to spend it.' TT needs to spend the money wisely. Although we have cap room and it may expand later - the amount we spend is finite. We can invest in a few players who have played well in the past, or we can spread it around and build an entire team.

Read what I said again...I didn't at all endorse a Browns style spending spree. I'm not screaming for him to spend every penny. Not once did I say that. But you've got to be kidding me if you think that signing a guy like TJ Ward to a four-year contract for $23 million — with $14 million guaranteed, would have been a bad signing. Give me a friggin break.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who has embarrassed us repeatedly?

We've played Seattle once in past two years. Lost in Fail Mary.
Two years ago, SF beat us good in two games. This past season, both games were close, including the playoff game when we were shorthanded to a ridiculous degree (remember, we had Mulumba on one leg playing the last drive b/c of our injuries).
Haven't played Denver recently.
Haven't been beaten repeatedly by any other teams.

Good try.

I agree with most of this... but don't kid youself. Those games against the niners weren't nearly as close as it looked on paper.

PFanCan

Reaction score
We actually probably are closer than you think in agreement. I would actually not mind a few FAs - not the big name guys unless it works out. This year, I thought Houston from the Raiders would have been something we should have considered. I think he is an ascending player and that he played his butt off on an awful team probably means he has some heart to him. He may do even better surrounded by our talent.

What bothers me about the complainers, is that they think TT doesn't sign FA because he is:

1. Not interested in signing FAs
2. Not interested in improving the team
3. Too cheap
4. Doesn't understand how FA works

or this other nonsense.

Agreed. And I am one of those who doesn't understand FA workings nor do I study the Packer's cap vs. time closely.

Similarly, I was thinking that Lamarr Houston would be a nice addition, but 5 year, $35M is a deal that I am glad Ted didn't make. Also, Jarius Byrd at $56M? I would have loved to see him in green & gold, but... Wow-- no way at this price.

But TJ Ward at 4 year $23M? Really? I wish GB would have got him for that.

Or A. Bethea? 4 years at ~$24M? Very reasonable, I think, for an instant starter.

These are 1st day FAs that wouldn't have caused GB's financial model to come crashing down into Washington Redskin territory.

Members online

Latest posts