Not the jealous type but...

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously hate the. broncos right now . I'm really starting to dislike FA more and more every single yr. The Packers have money to pay guys like Nelson and Cobb and yet still sitting on money? What is TT waiting for? md jennings? mike meal or Ryan Pickett? Woodley and Spikes are names but not big names..immediate upgrades ? If diddly squat is going to be done on offense at least bring Koned and Starks back. Try to score 35 a game smh. I would like to apologize to Capers. I'm sorry for calling for your head in all fairness you didn't have a lot to work with and you still don't . That's to bad . In the year we had a good defense Jenkins was here, Woodson, Collins. It's no accident that the defense is where it is. A chance to add playmakers seem to be an after thought . Keep fingers crossed and hope rookies turn out to be players and stay healthy ! I don't expect anything from TT any longer. The magic
number is 20.. The ranking I'll predict for the defense.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would you rather constantly be in cap hell like Dallas for example? Or the Redskins? If Super Bowls were won during Free Agency, the Redskins and Eagles would have several rings each by now by throwing around that Monopoly money.

Good GMs dont overspend on day 1 of FA. They look for bargain guys to fill holes with.

There is smart spending and dumb spending.

Besides, free agency isnt over yet. Calm down.

UpDownEndAround

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like you are the jealous type. It's far too early to lose your mind, and it's a fact that more of these signings will fail to live up to their contracts than not. Let's just wait and see.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Doubt I could rant like that, but I too am more than a little disappointed. We have extra cash to spend, why not use SOME of it, not all of it. I was hoping for an impact guy as well, but guess uncle Ted is still shopping at K-mart for our gifts, so we wont get anything worth while.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would you rather constantly be in cap hell like Dallas for example? Or the Redskins? If Super Bowls were won during Free Agency, the Redskins and Eagles would have several rings each by now by throwing around that Monopoly money.

Good GMs dont overspend on day 1 of FA. They look for bargain guys to fill holes with.

How come it can only go two ways with some people, either you're draft and develop (no fa) or you're the eagles or cowboys? You know there is a middle right? A ground where you sprinkle in some choice fa here and there ala saints, patriots, Steelers, ravens. All have been consistently good just as long if not longer than the Packers, so don't say that being slightly active in one year of FA would screw over the packers for years to come.

People say that signing Byrd, or any other FA for that matter, would have hurt our chances of signing Cobb and nelson, I don't see it. The cap is going to go up a lot again next year and Williams contract is off the books. There would be more than enough room especially since nelson is not on his rookie contract anymore so its not like he's making peanuts, although I recognize its not a lot either.

Right now I don't see what TT is going to do with the 20 million he still has on the books. Does anyone have an idea?

Again typically I am not one to freak out during FA and I understand why there is no need to sign a big FA but just ignoring it entirely , like TT has done the past 4 or 5 seasons, seems just as ignorant to me.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Denver is clearly loading up because Manning only has a year or two left. Should we load up, hurt the cap, and then spend the last years of Rodgers' career fighting the cap?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously hate the. broncos right now . I'm really starting to dislike FA more and more every single yr. The Packers have money to pay guys like Nelson and Cobb and yet still sitting on money? What is TT waiting for? md jennings? mike meal or Ryan Pickett? Woodley and Spikes are names but not big names..immediate upgrades ? If diddly squat is going to be done on offense at least bring Koned and Starks back. Try to score 35 a game smh. I would like to apologize to Capers. I'm sorry for calling for your head in all fairness you didn't have a lot to work with and you still don't . That's to bad . In the year we had a good defense Jenkins was here, Woodson, Collins. It's no accident that the defense is where it is. A chance to add playmakers seem to be an after thought . Keep fingers crossed and hope rookies turn out to be players and stay healthy ! I don't expect anything from TT any longer. The magic
number is 20.. The ranking I'll predict for the defense.

How come it can only go two ways with some people, either you're draft and develop (no fa) or you're the eagles or cowboys? You know there is a middle right? A ground where you sprinkle in some choice fa here and there ala saints, patriots, Steelers, ravens. All have been consistently good just as long if not longer than the Packers, so don't say that being slightly active in one year of FA would screw over the packers for years to come.

People say that signing Byrd, or any other FA for that matter, would have hurt our chances of signing Cobb and nelson, I don't see it. The cap is going to go up a lot again next year and Williams contract is off the books. There would be more than enough room especially since nelson is not on his rookie contract anymore so its not like he's making peanuts, although I recognize its not a lot either.

Right now I don't see what TT is going to do with the 20 million he still has on the books. Does anyone have an idea?

Again typically I am not one to freak out during FA and I understand why there is no need to sign a big FA but just ignoring it entirely , like TT has done the past 4 or 5 seasons, seems just as ignorant to me.

Free agency has been open for less than a day. It's not near over yet. There's plenty of time for TT to find a few guys. No reason to jump to conclusions yet.

D

Deleted member 6794

OK, let me put it this way. I´m disappointed the Packers didn´t get Byrd as I think we would have been able to deal with the contrtact he signed with the Saints. I think TT highly overpaid for Shields after seeing what Grimes and Verner got paid (I think Talib got way too much money as well but I expect the deal to pay backloaded a lot, so I don´t expect this will actually turn into Talib playing six years for the Broncos).

Nevertheless I won´t judge the Packers offseason until I have an idea about what the team will look like when they hit the field in September. BUT, not doing anything in free agency will not do it this time around. The defense has way too many holes that filling them with draft picks only won´t do the trick this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

Denver is clearly loading up because Manning only has a year or two left. Should we load up, hurt the cap, and then spend the last years of Rodgers' career fighting the cap?

I´ve come to the conclusion that salary cap problems are way overrated. The Saints, for example, were more than $10 million over the cap just some weeks ago, but were able to hold on to Jimmy Graham and add Jarius Byrd. Yeah, they had to cut some guys, but I think they will be fine with the team they have right now.

BTW it´s fine to have close to $30 million in cap space, but where´s the sense in it if you don´t plan on spending it???

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score

THIS. Word for word this is what I was going to say. TT builds the team to be good every year, and it's not like our defense wasn't a lot better last year. Remember the injuries folks? Remember by far our best guy on defense being out with a thumb? Remember our really damn good tackle being out from day 1? This team is not that far off, we don't need to panic like these lesser teams or press like the broncos. I know it's boring when nothing "big" happens in the off season, but try to remember how we get to watch a good team every single year and so many fan bases only get to be excited in the off season about "big name signings".

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´ve come to the conclusion that salary cap problems are way overrated. The Saints, for example, were more than $10 million over the cap just some weeks ago, but were able to hold on to Jimmy Graham and add Jarius Byrd. Yeah, they had to cut some guys, but I think they will be fine with the team they have right now.

BTW it´s fine to have close to $30 million in cap space, but where´s the sense in it if you don´t plan on spending it???

Overrated as in the Cowboys cutting a very good pass rusher on a terrible defense? How about the Steelers fighting the cap since being the the Super Bowl and have been average at best since? The Saints are also shopping Sproles and lost Bushrod last season, two guys who helped them a lot. Does cutting guys and signing others for more, really make the team much better? Plus, the Saints free agent list is just as long as ours. They'll have to do some more shuffling to fill the roster. Or the Raiders, where McKenzie had about $50 in dead money against the cap last season.

Besides, like I said above, free agency has been open for less than ONE day. TT has plenty of time to spend. You guys are acting like it's over.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Free agency has been open for less than a day. It's not near over yet. There's plenty of time for TT to find a few guys. No reason to jump to conclusions yet.

Free Agency is young, but the quality of player available is decreasing at an accelerating rate. (Translations: The impact players are all signing contracts.)

D

Deleted member 6794

Overrated as in the Cowboys cutting a very good pass rusher on a terrible defense? How about the Steelers fighting the cap since being the the Super Bowl and have been average at best since? The Saints are also shopping Sproles and lost Bushrod last season, two guys who helped them a lot. Does cutting guys and signing others for more, really make the team much better? Plus, the Saints free agent list is just as long as ours. They'll have to do some more shuffling to fill the roster. Or the Raiders, where McKenzie had about $50 in dead money against the cap last season.

The Cowboys are a way different story, Jerry Jones has lost his mind. The Saints will be better with Byrd, don´t think losing Sproles will be a huge problem for them.

Besides, like I said above, free agency has been open for less than ONE day. TT has plenty of time to spend. You guys are acting like it's over.

Read my post above, I´m not panicking.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regarding the Broncos, I guess losing the Super Bowl by 40 real lights a fire under your ***.

And in my opinion, the AFC is WEAK and the Broncos know it. The Pats and Broncos are top dogs. Everybody else is a pretender.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Free Agency is young, but the quality of player available is decreasing at an accelerating rate. (Translations: The impact players are all signing contracts.)

Can you name a big name, 1st day free agent that a team signed and the team got significantly better in the last few years? I've asked this in another thread and all we've come up with is big name guys who haven't made team better.

Edit: non QB player since that's what the Packers need.

Last edited:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Cowboys are a way different story, Jerry Jones has lost his mind. The Saints will be better with Byrd, don´t think losing Sproles will be a huge problem for them.

Read my post above, I´m not panicking.

Didn't say you were panicking. Just pointing out he's got plenty of time to spend the $30 million still.

D

Deleted member 6794

Can you name a big name, 1st day free agent that a team signed and the team got significantly better in the last few years? I've asked this in another thread and all we've come up with is big name guys who haven't made team better.

Don´t know if it was on the first day of free agency, but I´m quite sure the Broncos like the Peyton Manning signing by now.

D

Deleted member 6794

Just pointing out he's got plenty of time to spend the $30 million still.

That´s why I said I won´t judge the Packers offseason until I know what the team will look like that hits the field in September.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don´t know if it was on the first day of free agency, but I´m quite sure the Broncos like the Peyton Manning signing by now.

I should have specified like I did in the other thread. A Non-QB player since that's what the Packers are looking for.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's kind of a general question. Do you have a list of Day 1 free agents signed in recent years? Am I supposed to remember which day free agents were signed in each of the past few years?

That's like me asking you "Can you name a free agent signed on Day 13 of free agency who impacted a team significantly?".

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's kind of a general question. Do you have a list of Day 1 free agents signed in recent years? Am I supposed to remember which day free agents were signed in each of the past few years?

That's like me asking you "Can you name a free agent signed on Day 13 of free agency who impacted a team significantly?".

Alright. Then just big name expensive free agent? Non-QB. And the team was better.

It can't be too hard to find a list of recent expensive free agents.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Does cutting guys and signing others for more, really make the team much better? Plus, the Saints free agent list is just as long as ours.

Exactly, Cowboys cut Ware to save $, how will they fill that hole?

Same with the Saints, to get one player, they did this..
The Saints have been cutting ties with several veterans this offseason, both to shed salary-cap space and invest in younger players. They also released receiver Lance Moore, defensive end Will Smith, linebacker Jonathan Vilma, safety Roman Harper and cornerback Jabari Greer.

Got rid of FIVE players to sign Bryd??

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly, Cowboys cut Ware to save $, how will they fill that hole?

Same with the Saints, to get one player, they did this..

Got rid of FIVE players to sign Bryd??

Great post. Cutting guys and signing others doesn't make the team better.

Members online

Latest posts