Not so "Safe" at Safety

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do like Burnett and think he can be very good for a long time..however the other two are garbage..especially in coverage. Neither guy (Mcmillan/ M.D.Jennings) really makes any impact plays and both seem to be average at best. I really think we should flirt with the idel of giving micah hyde some snaps at FS once Heyward returns. Hyde will tackle, and i've seem him make some great plays.

I think our downfall will be poor safety play once we run against teams with good qb's unless it's adressed immediately. The 60 yd play on 4th and 21 to Doss was just a killer..no reason that should ever happen....ever. How the heck do you fall down trying to catch up to a wr 4 yds behind you when you should already be deeper then he is ayways? smh we were lucky to win that game. Had it not been for some poor decisions made by Harbaugh early in the game the Packers may be 2-3.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not nearly as ready to throw in the towel on these guys yet. We aren't talking 1st round picks here that are "expected" to perform right away. Jennings is getting to the end of his leash as a 3rd year player but McMillian is still only in his second year. Playing next to and learning from Burnett should help these guys out. We'll know a lot more by the end of the season then we could possibly know now.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been really disappointed in McMillian. The 4th and 21 was hard to forgive and then he followed it up by getting burned by Dallas Clark on the very next play. I thought he would take a big step this year, and so far he hasn't.

As good as the defense was all game you can't close the game out like that or everything you did all day means nothing. You have to be able to close teams out. I want to hear exactly what happened on that 4th and 21.

I wouldn't be opposed to trying Hyde. He fits well as a safety, makes plays, and Hayward returning would be the opportunity for him to do just that.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should resign Woodson, right Rodell? ;)

I agree that safety is easily our weakest spot in our defense. And I hope TT addresses it with a high pick in next year's draft. But, I don't think it'll be the downfall of this team. Our secondary is too strong otherwise to let one marginal player bring it down. Once we get a fully healthy defense (hopefully it will happen) with Claymaker and Hayward, we'll be strong at all levels on defense.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always been a fan of M.D "the doctor" Jennings.

I would agree he's not an impact player, ( nevermind his fail mary interception..) but I think he's an average player in coverage. He's a well-headed dude who can get the job done.

McMilian on the other hand, has not shown the progression we all thought he would this year. We thought he had the higher ceiling to pass Jennings with this year, but instead has lost his job to Jennings and in my opinion is a big reason why this pass defense has struggled so far this year- as opposed to M.D.

Not that either are perfect, but McMillian literally gave up two huge plays in a row last week. Whatever his excuses were.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think our downfall will be poor safety play once we run against teams with good qb's unless it's adressed immediately. The 60 yd play on 4th and 21 to Doss was just a killer..no reason that should ever happen....ever.

I'm sure the Ravens are thinking the same thing on Nelson's TD. Bottom line is that no team is going to be outstanding at every position. Every NFL team has it's weakness. That just happens to be ours right now. Not a reason to panic.

How the heck do you fall down trying to catch up to a wr 4 yds behind you when you should already be deeper then he is ayways? smh we were lucky to win that game. Had it not been for some poor decisions made by Harbaugh early in the game the Packers may be 2-3.

You can play that game both ways. If not for 1 or 2 decisions in the Bengals game, the Packers may be 4-1.

Last edited:

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that either are perfect, but McMillian literally gave up two huge plays in a row last week. Whatever his excuses were.

Falling down on 4th and 21 is abysmal, but what actually happened? Did his feet get tangled with someone else or did he just fall down on his own?

As for the TD, I'm not sure what he could have done differently. You can see here that he's step-for-step with Clark. But Clark is 4 inches taller and probably has a 6 or 7" longer reach and the ball was thrown where only he could get a hand on it. The TD was just a perfect throw and tough catch. If you can tell me what Jerron could have done differently I'm all ears. I suppose he could have tackled him before the catch and given them 1st and goal on the 1 yard line but I don't think that would be viewed favorably.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Falling down on 4th and 21 is abysmal, but what actually happened? Did his feet get tangled with someone else or did he just fall down on his own?

As for the TD, I'm not sure what he could have done differently. You can see here that he's step-for-step with Clark. But Clark is 4 inches taller and probably has a 6 or 7" longer reach and the ball was thrown where only he could get a hand on it. The TD was just a perfect throw and tough catch. If you can tell me what Jerron could have done differently I'm all ears. I suppose he could have tackled him before the catch and given them 1st and goal on the 1 yard line but I don't think that would be viewed favorably.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

From your picture it looks like he just got beat to me.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
he was not burned by clark for God sakes, clark is a TE that does nat have the speed of any of our DB's..... clark is far from being like Jimmy Graham. He was step for step with him. As said earlier clark is taller, better reach and that ball placement was perfection. Not much you can do against a well placed pass.....Rodell you should know that, watching Arod put that ball only where our guys can get it for several years now should have told you that was just a great toss.

Members online

Latest posts