No guarantee Sherrod makes the 53

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
This web site is very good for the details and breakdowns:

http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Derek Sherrod&Position=OL&Team=Packers

The $5.3 mil guarantee was eaten up by his signing bonus and his salaries in his first 3 years. His approx. $1.3 mil salary for 2014 is not guaranteed and would represent cap savings if he's released.

Up to this point it cost us nothing to keep him around beyond what was already guaranteed other than a roster spot. The roster spot wasn't even a factor during his time on IR and PUP. One could afford to be exceedingly optimistic about his prognosis since it cost nothing. Now, that optimism costs $1.3 million in cash and cap so it needs to be justified.

Thanks to both of you. I think you're right that training camp will be huge for Sherrod this year. He will have to show that he's significantly better than Adams, Barclay, draft pics, and all of the other practice squad guys or he'll be jettisoned. I expect that he won't do that. They won't keep him if he's the 8th best O-lineman after camp.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dis agree that he was well on his way.
He looked awful his rookie year and as you noted he couldn't beat out Newhouse.
I doubt that he will ever start another game for the Packers.

I remember a day, waaaaayyyyy back in the past, when ROOKIES didn't have to be terrific in their very first seasons...back when players like Datone Jones weren't certifiable busts because they didn't get 8+ sacks their first season, when Jordy Nelson didn't have to have 1,000 yards receiving his first year

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To use a term bantered around here quite a bit, there is a lot of "ball-licking" that goes on with 1st round picks. Fans and media often think that they should all be first day starters. Just because a player excelled in college HAS ZERO correlation with how quickly they will acclimate to the pro game. Most college players don't start until their junior or senior seasons so how or why they are expected to have instant impacts in the NFL is beyond rational thought.

Fans and media hamstring players because they had success in college. All it means is that in their final season, they were better than their competition. It does not mean they have a leg up on any other player entering the league. Micah Hyde was no better prepared to start than Datone Jones because of his draft position, he just acclimated to the NFL quicker. That's no indication of how either will play the game in 5 years.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember a day, waaaaayyyyy back in the past, when ROOKIES didn't have to be terrific in their very first seasons...back when players like Datone Jones weren't certifiable busts because they didn't get 8+ sacks their first season, when Jordy Nelson didn't have to have 1,000 yards receiving his first year
As faaaaaar back as I can remember #1 picks have been expected to make a solid contribution right out of the gate.
#1 picks are rarely drafted as a project.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As faaaaaar back as I can remember #1 picks have been expected to make a solid contribution right out of the gate.

I'm pretty sure when we drafted Sherrod we already had 2 set starting T in Clifton and Bulaga. Same for Bulaga with Clifton and Tauscher.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure when we drafted Sherrod we already had 2 set starting T in Clifton and Bulaga. Same for Bulaga with Clifton and Tauscher.
Exactly. Thompson usually drafts for two years out. Everyone knew that both Clifton and Tauscher were approaching the end of their contracts/careers. I think he probably sees the same with T. Williams, Hawk, Raji and possibly Nelson, Peppers and B. Jones.

You can count on annual 20% roster replacement.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So Sherrod was drafted to play tackle and our coaches, for some inconceivable reason, decided to have him compete with TJ Lang at left guard instead during his rookie offseason; the same TJ Lang who had a VERY good 2011 so it's no knock on Sherrod that he couldn't beat out Lang. So, instead of actually getting practice reps at tackle in his first exposure to a professional program, our "left tackle of the future" was being trained as a GUARD! So, was it really any surprise that Sherrod struggled to make an impact when the coaching staff had determined, before any practices were eeven being held, that Sherrod would be taking most of his reps at guard? How exactly was Sherrod supposed to beat out Newhouse when the coaches didn't allow him to compete with Newhouse? Sherrod was FINALLY moved back to tackle after the second exhibition game but by then it's a little late to expect him to be able to learn the pro position at tackle. The third exhibition game has starters play the most and the fourth game is mainly for guys in the cusp of being cut. After the preseason the coaches are more worried about game planning that developing a guy (though obvoisuly they hope that happens).

So I think the better question is why the coaches wasted Sherrod's first chance to develop their first round tackle by tryiing to convert him into a guard?

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Sherrod was drafted to play tackle and our coaches, for some inconceivable reason, decided to have him compete with TJ Lang at left guard instead during his rookie offseason; the same TJ Lang who had a VERY good 2011 so it's no knock on Sherrod that he couldn't beat out Lang. So, instead of actually getting practice reps at tackle in his first exposure to a professional program, our "left tackle of the future" was being trained as a GUARD! So, was it really any surprise that Sherrod struggled to make an impact when the coaching staff had determined, before any practices were eeven being held, that Sherrod would be taking most of his reps at guard? How exactly was Sherrod supposed to beat out Newhouse when the coaches didn't allow him to compete with Newhouse? Sherrod was FINALLY moved back to tackle after the second exhibition game but by then it's a little late to expect him to be able to learn the pro position at tackle. The third exhibition game has starters play the most and the fourth game is mainly for guys in the cusp of being cut. After the preseason the coaches are more worried about game planning that developing a guy (though obvoisuly they hope that happens).

So I think the better question is why the coaches wasted Sherrod's first chance to develop their first round tackle by tryiing to convert him into a guard?
You make a very good point.
That comes back to the old "trying to pound square pegs into round holes" saw.

D

Deleted member 6794

Actually we were set at tackle during the 2011 camp with Clifton and Bulaga.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thought he would be the LT or at least RT of the future; he was well on his way until that severely broken leg. He got a handful of snaps last yr but had a hard time beating out everyone's favorite linemen Marshall Newhouse. With Tretter healthy and Bulaga healthy and high hopes for Bak where's that leave Sherrod? I foresee TT drafting at least three Olinmen in the draft . I hope they give Sherrod every chance to prove himself or else he becomes another wasted first round pick when there were other positions that TT could've upgraded.

First off, I'm sure someone has already said this as I've not read this entire thread, I don't see TT drafting 3 offensive lineman in this draft. OLine is finally not a position of glaring need. I do believe he will draft 1 or 2 and I think that's smart for depth and competition purposes. Guard and Tackle are set. Center is obviously still an unknown but here's where I think TT will use his picks on. Maybe a true C, and a C/G swing guy for depth.

Now onto Sherrod, I sincerely hope he can stay healthy and find a spot on this roster. At this point I don't even care that he was a 1st round pick or if he is a backup he needs to demonstrate he can play and be of service to this team. Who knows maybe he comes in healthy and beats out Bak for the LT job (I'm not counting on this but you never know). He was a 1st round talent for a reason, I just hope he can stay healthy so he can display why he was taken where he was.

I'm just glad that for once OLine isn't a glaring need and we are discussing whether or not a 1st round lineman is going to make the team. IMO it's a good problem to have.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually we were set at tackle during the 2011 camp with Clifton and Bulaga.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean you try and teach a guy a brand new position. Just because we have a bunch of running backs doesn't mean that Franklin should be forced to practice as a slot receiver.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah, but that doesn't mean you try and teach a guy a brand new position. Just because we have a bunch of running backs doesn't mean that Franklin should be forced to practice as a slot receiver.

I don't disagree with you about that, but the Packers have mostly drafted college tackles over Thompson's era and tried to play them somewhere else on the line, so Sherrod isn't the only one.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't disagree with you about that, but the Packers have mostly drafted college tackles over Thompson's era and tried to play them somewhere else on the line, so Sherrod isn't the only one.

And I have no problem with that strategy, in general. The difference with Sherrod is that he was drafted to play tackle while those other guys were drafted with the intention to play guard.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Members online

Latest posts