No Deal For Jennings

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-2-637/Black-and-Blue-all-over--No-deal-for-Jennings.html

The Green Bay Packers have two young players whose contracts will expire at the end of the 2009 season. They have more than $20 million in salary cap space and less than a week before the NFL deadline for using 2008 cap money on future contracts.

But at least one of those players, receiver Greg Jennings, isn't interested in completing an in-season agreement. Jennings told Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that he wants no distractions at such a critical point in the season.

"My thought process is that even if there is something out there, I don't want to do anything until after the season," Jennings said. "I don't want to mess with it. I'm going to wait. If it were to happen this season, it would happen at the end of the season. It definitely won't happen right now."

There is no evidence the Packers have initiated substantive discussions with either Jennings or quarterback Aaron Rodgers, whose contract also expires after 2009. There is certainly no rush, and at this point it appears both players want to re-sign eventually. It just won't happen in the next week, in all likelihood.

I'll admit I'm nervous about Rogers, but Jennings, man its refreshing to see a player focused on playing isn't it? Go Pack Go! :D

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to pee in anyone's cornflakes, but I read a disturbing story on another forum. A poster who claims to know Greg personally says that Jennings wants to play in a big city. His wife wants the same thing (and a happy wife makes for a happy marriage) It's kind of strange since both come from small towns. If he refuses to sign after the 2009 season, the Packers could slap the franchise tag on him (very unpopular with players) then trade him for 2-1st rd. picks if necessary. So the team has the power here but we saw what unhappy players can do (MacKenzie & Walker). Not a good scenerio. Let's hope this poster is full of it...but he sounded sincere.

OP
OP
V

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somehow I doubt anyone would give up 2 1st rd picks for Jennings. He's a good WR, but he's not THAT good.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
retiredgrampa said:
Not to pee in anyone's cornflakes, but I read a disturbing story on another forum. A poster who claims to know Greg personally says that Jennings wants to play in a big city. His wife wants the same thing (and a happy wife makes for a happy marriage) It's kind of strange since both come from small towns. If he refuses to sign after the 2009 season, the Packers could slap the franchise tag on him (very unpopular with players) then trade him for 2-1st rd. picks if necessary. So the team has the power here but we saw what unhappy players can do (MacKenzie & Walker). Not a good scenerio. Let's hope this poster is full of it...but he sounded sincere.

Could you provide your link? Something like this just spreads rumors all around

DonnieCash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't doubt if he wanted to see how this season goes to decide if this is a team he wishes to remain a part of.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
retiredgrampa said:

That would be terrible, especially if he pulls another Walker on GB... Maybe Jordy Nelson was not such a self indulged pick as everyone thought? I don't want to think about that it would be a nightmare, but it would be a mistake, GB is the best city to play football in in the NFL :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts