No Coach of the Year Award for MM

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
And what did BB do? Brady had a great year but their defense left a look to be desired.

This was a "rebuilding" year for the Pats. No one - and I mean no one - expected a 14-2 season from the Pats. Hell, when the season started I thought we wouldn't even make the playoffs. All those rookies on defense, etc... had me concerned. Then, several games into the season BB decided to trade Moss, and basically rebuild an offense on the fly during the season to a whole different scheme.

The result was 14-2 (and I dont' even want to talk about the playoffs, thankyouverymuch :angry2: )

While the end result was disappointing, I think this coaching job was the best of his career.

I wouldn't take it as a slight against MM or anything. I think the voting came down to the fact that BB had success where no one ever expected he would.

Just my opinion. :)

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a Pats fan, let me just be clear -

The Lombardi trophy is aptly named, and IMHO Lombardi is, and will always be, the best coach this league ever saw. My own personal opinion is that Belichick is the best coach in the modern era, but I wouldn't worry too much about them ever renaming the trophy after him or anything :)
What do you qualify modern era?

Bill Walsh invented an offesnive system that is the main system used today, and won 3 SBs in the process.

Chuck Noll is the greatest winner in the SB era with 4, coached the Steelers for 22 years.

IMHO, those are #1 and #2, respectivelly in the "modern era" coaching rankings, if there's such thing.

(Bellichick comes in 3rd. Best coach of this century).

Regarding the award, no one did more with less than Todd Haley and Raheem Moris. FF players would undoubtedly give the award to Morris, for Haley ******** everybody by splitting carries between Thomas Jones and the Jamaal Charles. But I digressed.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
What do you qualify modern era?

Bill Walsh invented an offesnive system that is the main system used today, and won 3 SBs in the process.

Chuck Noll is the greatest winner in the SB era with 4, coached the Steelers for 22 years.

IMHO, those are #1 and #2, respectivelly in the "modern era" coaching rankings, if there's such thing.

(Bellichick comes in 3rd. Best coach of this century).

Regarding the award, no one did more with less than Todd Haley and Raheem Moris. FF players would undoubtedly give the award to Morris, for Haley ******** everybody by splitting carries between Thomas Jones and the Jamaal Charles. But I digressed.

I was giving opinion only. But no matter who you put in the top 3, in whatever order, they ain't gonna supplant Lombardi as the best ever.

That was my point. :)

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Bill Bellichek winning the Coach of the year is as meaningless as Manning winning the MVP last only to lose the Super Bowl.

Mike McCarthy would have been a good choice, but I also believe Raheem for Tampa Bay should have been the coach of the year. He completely turned them around!

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
Bill Bellichek winning the Coach of the year is as meaningless as Manning winning the MVP last only to lose the Super Bowl.

When you get right down to it, pretty much. I know any Patriot player who won an individual award would gladly trade it for a Super Bowl ring in a heartbeat.

/Honestly thinks individual awards in a team sport are, well, kinda dumb actually

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was giving opinion only. But no matter who you put in the top 3, in whatever order, they ain't gonna supplant Lombardi as the best ever.

That was my point. :)
Which I wholeheartedly agree, though have never actually watched his Packers play live, due to not being born at the time.

It's much, much harder, nowadays, to create a legacy that Lombardi did, and Walsh and Noll had.

There's nothing major to be created regarding strategy. Sure, the spread and the option seem like really innovative stuff, but they're adaptiations of old principles. The spread was created by Rusty Russel in 27, and the option was used in college in the early 40's.

And not only that, but there's free agency preventing true dynasties to be created. It's almost impossible to create a team with great players everywhere, and the few teams that do, almost immediately lose a lot of those players once they rach success, so they have to consistantly replace them, which is an even harder task.

We cannot adapt the achievements to the degree of dificulty they faced. In terms of pure achievements, Lombardi will never be surpassed.

But maybe Bellichick is as great as those guys, due to the increased dificulty.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
Which I wholeheartedly agree, though have never actually watched his Packers play live, due to not being born at the time.

It's much, much harder, nowadays, to create a legacy that Lombardi did, and Walsh and Noll had.

There's nothing major to be created regarding strategy. Sure, the spread and the option seem like really innovative stuff, but they're adaptiations of old principles. The spread was created by Rusty Russel in 27, and the option was used in college in the early 40's.

And not only that, but there's free agency preventing true dynasties to be created. It's almost impossible to create a team with great players everywhere, and the few teams that do, almost immediately lose a lot of those players once they rach success, so they have to consistantly replace them, which is an even harder task.

We cannot adapt the achievements to the degree of dificulty they faced. In terms of pure achievements, Lombardi will never be surpassed.

But maybe Bellichick is as great as those guys, due to the increased dificulty.

I agree with this. Lombardi was... unique. There will never be another one like him.

As for the rest, the league has changed so much over the years. Free Agency, Salary Caps, changes in rules to make offenses more able to score, changes to limit defenses, etc. That trying to determine any "Best of..." is subjective, or has too many qualifiers, to the point it becomes opinion-based, with all of the usual biases, etc.

BadKarma

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought McCarthy would be in the top 3 coaches.... I believe McCarthy is the most deserving of the award. That Packers team over came so many injuries to make the playoffs AND end up in the Super Bowl.

Bill Belichick, Patriots --- 30
Raheem Morris, Buccaneers --- 11½
Todd Haley, Chiefs --- 4½
Mike Smith, Falcons --- 1
Andy Reid, Eagles --- 1
Lovie Smith ,Bears --- 1
Steve Spagnuolo, Rams --- 1

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's the Lions' game. We win that debacle and we win the division, get a first round bye and MM is coach of the year. That loss still bothers me, and is the reason I'm nervous before every game since.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I thought McCarthy would be in the top 3 coaches.... I believe McCarthy is the most deserving of the award. That Packers team over came so many injuries to make the playoffs AND end up in the Super Bowl.

Andy Reid, Eagles --- 1
Lovie Smith ,Bears --- 1

Wow. They took Lovie Smith's lucky *** over McCarthy? Take away the Touchdown that was not a touchdown and the Monday Night game loaded with flags in week 3 and the Bears are 9-7.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Andy Reid, Eagles --- 1
Lovie Smith ,Bears --- 1
How the hell do you get half a vote?
Who the **** voted for 2 guys? Moreso, who the **** allowed someone to vote for 2 guys?

IMHO this right here just took all credit from AP awards (not that it had any to begin with)

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with Belichick winning the award since it's based on the regular season only. However, I do think both Tomlin and McCarthy should have gotten some votes. With the Packers making the playoffs with, what, 13 players on IR? Then for Tomlin, guiding the team through the Big Ben debacle, early season ending injuries to both starting Tackles, fines targeting the Steelers' Defensive style of play, Troy out two games, Hines, Heath, Aaron Smith, Keisel and others missing significant action and replacement of both the kicker and punter during the course of the season while still finishing 12-4. That should count for something...at least a half a vote.

Agree with this.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Wow. They took Lovie Smith's lucky *** over McCarthy? Take away the Touchdown that was not a touchdown and the Monday Night game loaded with flags in week 3 and the Bears are 9-7.

This is the Associated Press we're talking about. It's no longer about facts and statistics. It's about feelings, sensationalism and bias.

Let's face it MM isn't a very "sensational" pick, nor someone who promotes warm fuzzies from the media. Have you every watched his press conferences?

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
This is the Associated Press we're talking about. It's no longer about facts and statistics. It's about feelings, sensationalism and bias.

Let's face it MM isn't a very "sensational" pick, nor someone who promotes warm fuzzies from the media. Have you every watched his press conferences?

If anyone thinks BB promotes warm fuzzies from the media, well... :rofl: :rofl:

:D

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
No but his abrupt nature, super secretive scowling press conferences promote sensationalism. MM just doesn't do that and I don't want him to.

Well, the MEDIA promotes sensationalism. BB just hates the media, and thinks they ask stupid questions.

Frankly, I don't blame him. :)

That said, MM did a hell of a job this year.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Well, the MEDIA promotes sensationalism. BB just hates the media, and thinks they ask stupid questions.

Frankly, I don't blame him. :)

That said, MM did a hell of a job this year.

He did a great job overcoming injuries, but I'm not sure he's coach of the year material, yet. We'll see. As far as BB, 14-2 is still 14-2. I think he also showed some brilliance unloading Moss and snookering the Vikings. That was classic! The Patriots benefited big time in that deal.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
He did a great job overcoming injuries, but I'm not sure he's coach of the year material, yet. We'll see. As far as BB, 14-2 is still 14-2. I think he also showed some brilliance unloading Moss and snookering the Vikings. That was classic! The Patriots benefited big time in that deal.

Yeah, the injury thing was impressive - it shows the depth that the Packers have, and the system in place to be able to plug new guys in and have them work out fairly quickly.

Black and Gold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Belichick is a fantastic coach.

I don't like the Pats, solely due to the number of recent SuperBowl wins--don't think I miss the irony in that statement--but Belichick gets the most out of his team. I like their professionalism on the field and I *love* the closemouthed disrespect Belichick shows (or implies) to the media.

The media hate him because of it--then they turn around and complain about Rex Ryan because he's always good for a soundbite. Double standard, wot?

43Hitman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I think its a shame that either MM or MT didn't even get a vote. MM overcoming 16 players on IR is incredible, that's great coaching and great depth. Hats off to you guys. Mike Tomlin I felt did a helluva job as well dealing with suspensions, trading Holmes, injuries on the Oline(while not as significant as what GB has overcome, it still has been an adventure with this line) and the drama with Harrison's fine. To not even get a vote is an insult to both coaches.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, the injury thing was impressive - it shows the depth that the Packers have, and the system in place to be able to plug new guys in and have them work out fairly quickly.
Yeah, MM has certainly credit to our regular season, but the real reason behind us overcoming the injuries was the job Ted Thompson did, and to a lesser extent, Dom Capers, given how the offense struggled at times, never trully overcoming the losses of Grant and Finley, whereas the D, despite having more injuried players, actually got better production from the replacements at ILB, OLB and SS.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts