Nnamdi Asomugha

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly, the last thing Packer fans should have to worry about is money. There is no cap, and if there were, we would be far below it. When there was a cap, I never understood why we werent spending to it every year

Sherman tried that once... It didn't went well...

If you spend to your cap limit, it necessarily means you'll have to lose some of your up-and-coming players when they become FAs. Collins, Rodgers, Jennings, all had to be given enormous salaries...

Going over the cap limit not only hurts trying to resign your own players but it cuts into profits as well. You have to remember that each team is a business of its own and like any business it wants to maximize its own profits by cutting losses. When you go over the salary cap, the excess amount of money that the team is spending is from its own revenue. This is why Sherman's situation was going completely out of hand. While the Packers didn't lose a whole lot of money, the rate at which he was spending became dangerously close to the organization seeing massive loss in income. So while we as fans don't have to worry about this multimillion dollar organization spending uncontrollably, the people that run it do.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted Thompson is very fiscally responsible, some might label it ultra-conservative.
So guys like Nnamdi are a pipe dream.

Ted is also frugal when it comes to character risks, although with Koren Robinson and Andrew Quarless, he seems to have a forgiving heart when it comes to booze. We'll see how he is with pharmaceutical tolerance when Jolly's contract is up, and he gets a big payday.

That's why Pacman is such a wise move. He's not in rehab or anything like that, and he won't cost anything. He'll cost half of what Jarrett Bush is stealing from the organization, at least for the first year or two.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted Thompson is very fiscally responsible, some might label it ultra-conservative.
So guys like Nnamdi are a pipe dream.

Ted is also frugal when it comes to character risks, although with Koren Robinson and Andrew Quarless, he seems to have a forgiving heart when it comes to booze. We'll see how he is with pharmaceutical tolerance when Jolly's contract is up, and he gets a big payday.

That's why Pacman is such a wise move. He's not in rehab or anything like that, and he won't cost anything. He'll cost half of what Jarrett Bush is stealing from the organization, at least for the first year or two.

He's the bengals problem now

OP
OP
Mack_20

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WE DONT NEED ANYMORE OLD ALL STAR CB's it's time to develop one,.....

You can develop a young guy while having vets on the team. Winning now should be a priority for us. As we are young, we do have a lot of aging guys, Driver, Woodson, Harris, Barnett,Clifton, Tauscher... Adding a guy like Nnamdi could take our defense over the top and that much closer to a SB IMO.. Im all for developing, but how many years do you want to consider 'developmental' years before you actually go for it and try to get that Lombardi Trophy back in GB?

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not the contract I think that would ultimately be the problem...his contract could be extended/renegotiated if a trade were to occur. He is a top 3 corner in the league so you could argue it would be worth it.

The problem in Ted's eyes would be the draft picks he would have to give up to get him...way too steep for him. Not even close...he wouldn't give this trade more than a passing thought.

OP
OP
Mack_20

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you wouldnt give up a 2 and a 3 for him you're nuts.. Throw in Jarrett Bush too... but for real, if and I do say IF (I do find this likely though) you could get him here for a 2 and a 3 you do it in a heartbeat. Woodson and Asomugha at opposite sides of the field would be completely sick and easily make our secondary the best in the league..

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you wouldnt give up a 2 and a 3 for him you're nuts.. Throw in Jarrett Bush too... but for real, if and I do say IF (I do find this likely though) you could get him here for a 2 and a 3 you do it in a heartbeat. Woodson and Asomugha at opposite sides of the field would be completely sick and easily make our secondary the best in the league..
While I made a point about contract, I wouldn't blink in trading a 2nd and 3rd for Asomugha...

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
you gonna pay 35 millions dollars a year for our secondary? are you insane? what are we gonna put some J/V guys out there at other posistions, do you know how much it would take to pay, woody, harris, asogmua, and collins?

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Question: Would you let Harris go if it meant signing Aso to an extension?

That's a really easy question, but I imagine loyalties are going to cloud your answers.

lancer84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it meant that Aso's contract would be extended and reduced in price. Then, Yes. If not no way in hell.

bravesman18

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to get Asomugha even at the cost of a 1st and 3rd or lower. My personal feeling has often been that draft picks are over-valued by GMs when it comes to trades for PROVEN players, unless the guy is near retirement, or a large contract is involved. Unfortunately, Nnamdi does have one of those big contracts, which if nothing else, will itself keep this deal from ever seeing the light of day.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would cut any player on the team if it made us a better team.

Even Rodgers? Woodson? Lol

In all seriousness though, whichever team does manage to get Asomugha will have to restructture his contract no matter what. Of course it'll take some deep negotiations but his salary is just out of control.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even Rodgers? Woodson? Lol

In all seriousness though, whichever team does manage to get Asomugha will have to restructture his contract no matter what. Of course it'll take some deep negotiations but his salary is just out of control.

If cutting them made us better I would not hesitate for a second. I let my judgement get cloudy in the whole Favre thing and I wont do that again. I was too attached to Favre as our QB that in the beginning I thought TT was making the wrong choice.

OP
OP
Mack_20

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Question: Would you let Harris go if it meant signing Aso to an extension?

That's a really easy question, but I imagine loyalties are going to cloud your answers.

Absolutely in a heartbeat. I love Al, but IMO he has always been a bit overrated.. he's the reason we lost to the Giants in the Champoinship game... I know he was up against Plax and he was a freak, but he still got worked pretty hard.. Aso is right there behind Woodson and Revis in the league.. I would love it...

Members online