Nnamdi Asomugha

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's available via trade, and I for one would love TT to make a big move like this.. We have the money to support his contract, what would you all think? I doubt we do it, but it would be fun to think about..

lancer84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like him alot a Cal guy, but 45.3 Mil for 3 years... is his contract. Don't get me wrong I'd LOVE to see him opposite side of Woodson but...I highly doubt TT wants that on the payroll. Secondly hes almost 30 if i'm not correct, who knows what he'll have left in the tank. Thirdly who knows what Al Davis wants for him..

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3919067"]Oakland Raiders give Nnamdi Asomugha unprecedented contract - ESPN@@AMEPARAM@@http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3919896@@AMEPARAM@@3919896[/ame]

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's exciting to think about. Woodson, Asomugha, Harris, and Williams, we would have the best CB corp in the league. As Lancer84 said though, that's a lot of money out of our payroll, and TT probably wouldn't do it. I'm not totally against it though. It depends on what the Raiders asking price is.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
16 mil next season with only another year on the contract after that? Plus a 1st round pick? None of the numbers add up. But I do think we could win a SB if we added him.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
There is no way Thompson spends that kind of money. That contract was ridiculous in the first place and I don't want it anywhere near our team.

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
16 mil next season with only another year on the contract after that? Plus a 1st round pick? None of the numbers add up. But I do think we could win a SB if we added him.

Exactly what I'm thinking. Kinda makes me not care how big his contract is. No one would be able to throw on us.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Davis is probably going to want a 1 and maybe a 2 for him. Or maybe even a couple 1's. It's not in Ted's M.O. to give up draft picks. He had Randy Moss for a 3 and didn't pull the trigger. It's fun to dream, I know that, but there's just no way this happens.

Not to mention I think the non drafting of a CB tells us that Ted thinks we're just fine at that position. I happen to disagree, but that appears to be what he thinks.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
$$$. As Adam Schefter said earlier, lots of teams want him, but don't want the contract.

Keep in mind it has to make sense to go the free agent rout. Nnamdi is an awesome player and would definitely be a boost, but the money required makes him toxic.

And for those saying TT doesn't dabble in free agency, he does. He chooses to spend the money on our own players rather than someone else's. See Nick Collins, Ryan Pickett and I'm having trouble remembering the third guy we brought back.

Something else to keep in mind- Just because they're a big name and available doesn't mean it makes sense. Sure, we look to have the money now, but how would spending that money now on one guy affect our ability to resign people already on our roster? I'm not a salary cap genius, but if signing Nnamdi to the size contract he's going to require prohibits us from resigning guys we already have, I'm not sure it's a good deal. Plus trading a 1st and 3rd round pick for one guy is an awful lot.

OP
OP
Mack_20

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no cap this year in the first place, and even if the cap was where it was at last year, we are far under it. I completely agree his contract is rediculous, but shouldnt the Packers (as the only team without an 'owner' having to throw his money around) we should have been at the cap every year.. Money shouldnt be an issue here in Green Bay IMO

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, but the salary cap game that is football is a lot like Chess. You constantly have to think several moves ahead rather than just one.

Regardless, trading for Asomugha would cost us a 1st and a 3rd round pick plus his contract. That's a LOT of money to toss at one guy, regardless of what position he plays.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong Asomugha is great player but I personally wouldn't like to see him in a packers uniform. I don't really think that the salary problem will be that much of an issue. TT is good with contracts and knows how to make them fit into the budget. The more pressing worry for me is what he said a year ago on ESPN. The raiders like to run a "2 man under" cover scheme ALL the time and "that's where he feels best at." So before we think that he'll instantly be an upgrade to this defense, you have to put into the factor that he may have a huge learning curve to go through.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong Asomugha is great player but I personally wouldn't like to see him in a packers uniform. I don't really think that the salary problem will be that much of an issue. TT is good with contracts and knows how to make them fit into the budget. The more pressing worry for me is what he said a year ago on ESPN. The raiders like to run a "2 man under" cover scheme ALL the time and "that's where he feels best at." So before we think that he'll instantly be an upgrade to this defense, you have to put into the factor that he may have a huge learning curve to go through.

That's a great point. Just because a guy is a stud on one team doesn't mean we'll see the same benefit. I think this is why TT is a bit hesitant to go nuts with outside free agents, especially when they carry a 1st, 3rd and $40Million price tag.

I like to think our guys take a look and do their homework on all free agents to see if they'd fit our scheme before choosing whether to try and sign them or not.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a great point. Just because a guy is a stud on one team doesn't mean we'll see the same benefit. I think this is why TT is a bit hesitant to go nuts with outside free agents, especially when they carry a 1st, 3rd and $40Million price tag.

I like to think our guys take a look and do their homework on all free agents to see if they'd fit our scheme before choosing whether to try and sign them or not.

Thanks for agreeing with me. A good case in point would be Albert Haynesworth. He didn't do anything for them last season and now that the Redskins are moving to a 3-4 defense, they can no longer use the guy. Because of his overwhelming contract the skins are stuck with him.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for agreeing with me. A good case in point would be Albert Haynesworth. He didn't do anything for them last season and now that the Redskins are moving to a 3-4 defense, they can no longer use the guy. Because of his overwhelming contract the skins are stuck with him.

Albert is just lazy.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nnamdi to the Packers?

"I'll take What is a Pipedream for $500"
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
Mack_20

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So if we could get him for a 2nd round pick you wouldnt trade for him because of his contract? thats stupid.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So if we could get him for a 2nd round pick you wouldnt trade for him because of his contract? thats stupid.
Back to reality.....

(Fantasy-speaking, HELL yes you take him if you can get him for the #64 overall pick like that, and redo/extend his deal to make it more cap-managable going forward in 2011 if there's a season and a cap)

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's available via trade, and I for one would love TT to make a big move like this.. We have the money to support his contract, what would you all think? I doubt we do it, but it would be fun to think about..

Raiders must have found out that they have a WIW (Woodson In Waiting)... Walter McFadden. Master Lock is looking to use McFadden as their spokesman... they are calling him "Lock Down".

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, but the salary cap game that is football is a lot like Chess. You constantly have to think several moves ahead rather than just one.

Regardless, trading for Asomugha would cost us a 1st and a 3rd round pick plus his contract. That's a LOT of money to toss at one guy, regardless of what position he plays.

I always thought of trading away picks as trading away future $$ that we wont have to spend on unproven talent. If the guy is great like worth trading a 3rd round pick to move up in the first, which we will have to do next year in the 2011 draft to get a top 20 pick, then the picks are well worth trading away. That just leaves his contract for this year which we don't have a salary cap. I see nothing wrong with it.

OP
OP
Mack_20

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always thought of trading away picks as trading away future $$ that we wont have to spend on unproven talent. If the guy is great like worth trading a 3rd round pick to move up in the first, which we will have to do next year in the 2011 draft to get a top 20 pick, then the picks are well worth trading away. That just leaves his contract for this year which we don't have a salary cap. I see nothing wrong with it.

Exactly, the last thing Packer fans should have to worry about is money. There is no cap, and if there were, we would be far below it. When there was a cap, I never understood why we werent spending to it every year

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly, the last thing Packer fans should have to worry about is money. There is no cap, and if there were, we would be far below it. When there was a cap, I never understood why we werent spending to it every year
Sherman tried that once... It didn't went well...

If you spend to your cap limit, it necessarily means you'll have to lose some of your up-and-coming players when they become FAs. Collins, Rodgers, Jennings, all had to be given enormous salaries...

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys make a good point. Only thing I can think of is maybe we're looking down the road at having enough money to re-sign our own free agents? And just because we have the money doesn't mean we should necessarily spend it. In my mind, there's nothing wrong with staying under the cap year in and year out.

The other thought is, while I agree the draft is a crap shoot, you also run the risk of that "proven commodity" not living up to expectations. There's no guarantee <insert big name player here> will fit our scheme and live up to the contract. Look at Roy Williams in Dallas or Albert Haynesworth in Washington.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you spend to your cap limit, it necessarily means you'll have to lose some of your up-and-coming players when they become FAs. Collins, Rodgers, Jennings, all had to be given enormous salaries...

That's exactly the same point I was trying to make, only stated much better.

Just because you have the money now doesn't mean you should spend it, especially when you already have a solid team. It took Thompson a few years to unravel the Sherman mess, but all in all I think he's done a tremendous job in giving us a very good, competitive team without causing all kinds of salary cap nightmares for us.

Members online

Latest posts