Nick Collins Update...

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:tup:TT got it right with Nick Collins. What a loss smh. The play of the safties this past season..or lack thereof left a lot to be desired. Hopefully he can hit on another stud safety.

Last edited:

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was at that game with my two daughters when he went down. It was tough to watch as the Packer's staff loaded him on the stretcher and wheeled him off the field. Definitely put a cloud on a terrific comeback victory for the Packers and shows how quickly a career can end. You can't blame it on anything but bad luck.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I don't know if he has the aptitude, but I think it would be great if Nick can rejoin the Packers in a coaching capacity. He obviously loves the game, and is humble and a hard worker. Good players don't always make good coaches, though. Whatever the future brings, I wish him nothing but the best.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That picture about sums it up..that's bad luck if i ever seen it. Collins is the third Packer attempting to make the tackle.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember reading an article on NFL neck and spine injuries. They mentioned that in most cases these players had existing conditions and that's why/how they ended up getting hurt. Problem is, these aren't things a basic physical would pick up. The point of the article I read was that these guys are just a minor tweak - hit away from being out of football. It almost begs the question, why don't they do a complete body x-ray of these guys the draft time?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish Collins the best, and it seems that he's realizing that this neck injury was a blessing in disguise. He is spending quality time with his kids in a way that he couldn't have done, had his career continued. Many of us would love that opportunity if financially we were able to do so. The football fire is burning and it will be fun to see him get into coaching, whenever that happens.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember reading an article on NFL neck and spine injuries. They mentioned that in most cases these players had existing conditions and that's why/how they ended up getting hurt. Problem is, these aren't things a basic physical would pick up. The point of the article I read was that these guys are just a minor tweak - hit away from being out of football. It almost begs the question, why don't they do a complete body x-ray of these guys the draft time?

If Collins had a congenital defect it sure took long enough for that hit to get him. He was in the beginning of his seventh season.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great article about Collins now by Journal Sentinal: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-flashback-b99185638z1-241393971.html

Well worth your read. He's got a good head on his shoulders. And from what it sounds like, he may get back into the game, coaching in the future. I'd bet the Packers would be willing to give him a shot if the opportunity presented itself.

I'd be inclined to say it's unlikely the Packers would bring him in to coach their safeties. A few years ago there was some drumbeat to bring in LeRoy Butler to do that but the Packers were never interested.

GreenDeath

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:tup:TT got it right with Nick Collins. What a loss smh. The play of the safties this past season..or lack thereof left a lot to be desired. Hopefully he can hit on another stud safety.

It's unreal, he would still be in his prime too, turning 31 just before the start of this season. And being a safety and their longer shelf life......sigh.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be inclined to say it's unlikely the Packers would bring him in to coach their safeties. A few years ago there was some drumbeat to bring in LeRoy Butler to do that but the Packers were never interested.
Have you ever listened to LeRoy on his radio show? Met him several times and I love the guy... but I don't think he would cut it as a coach.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Collins had a congenital defect it sure took long enough for that hit to get him. He was in the beginning of his seventh season.

Guys can play most of their career and never know they have a condition. I'm not sure if Collins did or didn't but I remember reading that most guys with that type of injury do have an existing condition. Often times the hits where they get hurt are not extremely violent or out of the ordinary... but it's just enough to tweak the area where they have the condition.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
That pre-existing condition for some is spinal stenosis, a narrowing of the spine. Terrence Murphy had it. He was Thompson’s third draft pick in Green Bay and IMO would have been the first in the line of great WR picks in the second round. Tim Lewis, a great CB had it too and it ended his Packers career in the mid-80s. After he got injured I remember doctors telling him he never should have played football. I don't remember reading Collins has it but obviously that's not the only condition that should prevent his, or anyone else’s return to football. I wonder how involved the test for it is and if it would make sense for the league to include it in their physicals. I'm sure it's expensive but a league generating $9B in income annually shouldn't use that as an excuse IMO.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL performs thousands of xray, mri, and ct imaging during the combine each year. The studies are done on players that have been injured in the past as part of the pre-combine medical evaluations. The problem with neck screening is that studies have shown that nearly 1/3 of freshman college players who have had neck X-rays have degenerative changes or congenital anomalies in their necks--and the majority have had no history of neck injury or symptoms prior to getting to college. Some congenital problems, like spinal stenosis, would keep any player out of football. But most of the players go on to having no neck problems while continuing in football, even with degenerative changes. Those players who have a significant injury and do have pre-existing degenerative change, like Collins apparently, have a relative contraindication for continuing to play. Is Finley also one of the 1/3? That is the question.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tweet by Nick Collins tonight, "@nickdapick36: Who's looking for a top notch free safety. This kid is ready to dominate #2014"

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tweet by Nick Collins tonight, "@nickdapick36: Who's looking for a top notch free safety. This kid is ready to dominate #2014"

I really do wish he could come back, but Im worried about what might happen to him.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It doesn't always take a big hit sometimes just a really awkward hit, ironic thing is that if Nick tried a Whitner thug tackle he likely wouldn't have been injured.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
That pre-existing condition for some is spinal stenosis, a narrowing of the spine. Terrence Murphy had it. He was Thompson’s third draft pick in Green Bay and IMO would have been the first in the line of great WR picks in the second round. Tim Lewis, a great CB had it too and it ended his Packers career in the mid-80s. After he got injured I remember doctors telling him he never should have played football. I don't remember reading Collins has it but obviously that's not the only condition that should prevent his, or anyone else’s return to football. I wonder how involved the test for it is and if it would make sense for the league to include it in their physicals. I'm sure it's expensive but a league generating $9B in income annually shouldn't use that as an excuse IMO.

I have spinal and neck stenosis and it was seen on a regular mri with contrast

H

HardRightEdge

That's $9 billion in revenue, not earnings.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
That's $9 billion in revenue, not earnings.
What an important distinction! :rolleyes: I wrote "income", not profits. Nearly everyone here understands the NFL doesn't have $9B of profit/year. Look, you've had a bug up your **** since I posted I didn't care about your point regarding to which tree the personnel people that have left Green Bay belong. Time to get over that, or do you really want to continue to nit pick this kind of crap?

Last edited:

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He's reportedly been looking for a job ever since his release. It's just no-one would give him the chance. Is this finally the year?

The guy needs a payday. He has said he'll play, coach, whatever. I know Ted isn't the type to go back on a decision his organization made when we advised him to retire, but could someone else sign him?

Could he come back as a coach?

Last edited:
OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing's changed. The prognosis is the same as it has ever been. There's a huge risk in him playing, which is why the Packers and every other NFL team has not signed him. Simply because he tweeted he wants to play isn't going to change things. And neither is the fact the Packers' safety position is bad. The guys health trumps team needs.

Beebe82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"If Nick Collins were my son I wouldn't let him play" Mike McCarthy.

There's no way McCarthy would let him even set foot on the field again. We can all dream though... just imagine if LeRoy Butler came out of retirement too, Pack would have the top safety duo.

Members online

Latest posts