Nick Barnett on the trading block?

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
NFL.com news: Packers will shop Barnett after re-signing fellow LB Hawk

I don't think it's been posted here yet.

What does everyone think about this possibility? I think Barnett should be gone because I don't believe he'll be a happy backup PLUS he's owed $5.5 million this year, a lot for a reserve.

Best case scenario: we get a 5th round pick. He's a decent MLB who probably has a few good years left if he can recover from some of his recent injuries. I don't think he'll be back in Green Bay whether he's cut or traded and his fairly high salary might prevent a team from trading for him.

Chillarfan54

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally , i'm still ticked off that he and Finley *****ed about not beinging in the SB photo. Just my opinion. I think the only reason why he *****ed about it was that he knew his days in GB where coming to a end with Hawk doing so well and he probably thought if he wasn't in the SB pic , that once he left GB , No one would remember that he was apart of a SB. I feel bad for the people who got injured , but shouldn't the SB photo be for people who helped us get there?

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a solid player. I honestly believe a team will be willing to give up a 4th rounder for him.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally , i'm still ticked off that he and Finley *****ed about not beinging in the SB photo. Just my opinion. I think the only reason why he *****ed about it was that he knew his days in GB where coming to a end with Hawk doing so well and he probably thought if he wasn't in the SB pic , that once he left GB , No one would remember that he was apart of a SB. I feel bad for the people who got injured , but shouldn't the SB photo be for people who helped us get there?

I concur. Good riddance, Barnett. We don't need whiners on our squad.

It kind of ****** me off to see that photo of him hoisting the Lombardi, same as how I literally laughed out loud when Finley tweeted "Come hang out with a champ!" I don't fault them for getting injured and lost for the year, but they act like contributed to our playoff run when the fact is they both missed 11 games each, plus the entire post season. I think it's safe to say any contribution they made to our Super Bowl win is minimal at best. I mean, they didn't even hang around to help their replacements improve at their respective positions. Real team players, those guys...

OP
OP
Future

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score

I agree. Him publicly whining about it really made him look bad. It came off as very childish. He should've gone to McCarthy or a captain if he had a problem.

That said, the team photo incident wouldn't mean anything if he was cheaper or if we really need him.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be surprised if we got much for him. 6th rounder I guess. Teams most likely will wait til he is released as his salary is higher than his production due to repeat injury.

Reaction score
Why does everyone say Finley and Barnett were whining. They both put their time and effort into training and preparation for a very long time. They both had unfortunate injuries and wanted to feel part as a team. As a former athlete I know how it is to work hard a train for a goal. Lucky for me I didn't have any injuries but I couldn't imagine spending countless hours training day in and day out and as soon as the year starts have all that you worked for mean nothing. After all that happens to you, you have some one tell you that you didn't contribute and are petty much not part of the team. I don't think barnett and finley should have tweeted about it and complained and instead brought it to the coaches etc..

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wonder if he could switch to the outside? Would fill the void opposite Matthews.
He whined about that when Capers took over and it was brought up. He claimed he's just an inside or middle linebacker.

He will most likely be released.

There are probably at least 10 teams that would like to have him but they'd rather take their chances on signing him when he's released rather than trade a pick for him.

San Diego, Kansas City, some AFC team, maybe Indy, could use him and hopefully Ted can leverage them all against each other to get one of them to cough up a draft pick or a player that can help us (PR, KR). But sadly it seems a release is the most likely scenario here.

Oh, and we all can sympathize with those IR guys not being in the team photo after all they did in the off-season and training camp, preseason and some games. But like he said before me here, it was the way they handled it that was horse **** (Twitter). That's pathetic. What happened to being men and calling the coach or the boss? Now punks use the bathroom wall to announce it to the world first on Twitter?

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy likes competition in camp. I would be surprised if they cut Nick before then, if at all.

Riley82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The packers seem keen on playing bishop they have stated he is the starter.
I told some of my fellow english fans about barnett going as soon as bishop signed his new deal and they said no way hawk will be gone looks like i was right i also said the same about tramon/harris and they ridiculed me i was right again!.
Not all english fans are like this though.
Whilst the american fans seem to be cool and the canadian/australian.

Riley82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is some cool english nfl fans also.
It just seems that there are afew (english nfl fans) who just want to ridicule everything.
I am english its just afew of us not all of us.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jermichael is on his way to being the next Antonio Gates, possibly better. I'm soooo excited about his return. No way am I going to bash him!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to take the SB photo incident out of the mix here. I will forgive Barnett and Finley too for that matter for words spoken in haste or a misunderstanding. The fact is, none of us really know what went down with that or what occurred before or after that led up to it.

Call me mad, but I'd half like to keep Barnett, I think he has potential. Alas, I fear he will be released. We can hope for a 6th out of it or maybe if we hit the jackpot, somebody will cough up a 5th or even higher depending on how bad a team needs him. The thing it, we are starting to have an overflow of talent on D so to speak. There is simply not the cash what with the cap or the roster space to house all of them. Somebody has got to go. It's more about scaling down and downsizing to perfection at this point. As much as I wish they'd keep Barnett, if they are already shopping him around and with the resigning of Hawk, I fear he shall leave us. If he does, at least he has a SB out of it and he was a part of this magical year!

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Call me mad, but I'd half like to keep Barnett, I think he has potential. Alas, I fear he will be released!
We're all mad if you're mad because I think we'd all ideally like to keep Barnett. He's been a Packer for life and he's good. Not great, but good.
Not irreplaceable, but good.

If they can afford to keep him, and then trade him, they will.

But if they can't afford to keep Cullen Jenkins, then we surely can't afford to keep a 4th good ILB (Chillar is a solid backup at ILB already).

I'd rather jettison Barnett and keep Jenkins.

Trade Barnett for a talented PR or KR who can inject some punch in the return game for us.

Members online

Latest posts