Nicholas Joel Perry

Beebe82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy seems none to happy with the former 1st round pick, very annoyed actually. I had hopes he would really thrive in the elephant role but it looks like he's destined for another season in the "trainers" room. I know he didn't come out of college injured and he's had more success on the field but he seems to be destined to follow the John Michels and Justin Harrell path in the NFL.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/packers-mccarthy-calls-perry-other-235002636--nfl.html

D

Deleted member 6794

McCarthy seems none to happy with the former 1st round pick, very annoyed actually. I had hopes he would really thrive in the elephant role but it looks like he's destined for another season in the "trainers" room. I know he didn't come out of college injured and he's had more success on the field but he seems to be destined to follow the John Michels and Justin Harrell path in the NFL.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/packers-mccarthy-calls-perry-other-235002636--nfl.html

It´s really unfortunate that he hasn´t been able to practice at all during this offseason. I think he will be able to catch up if he´s healthy at the start of camp though.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think he simply wants out of Green Bay.
If the inference is he's faking an injury or under-performing on purpose to get out of Green Bay, I don't think so. He seems smart enough to know the best way for him to do that is to kick *** and become too expensive for the Packers to keep after next season.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Perry's probably figured out that with the signing of Peppers (who should be depth-charted at OLB when the conversation turns back to 53-man projections) and Neal, he's not going to get many opportunities with the Packers to splash for his second contract. He's competing for #3 OLB in the money-making pass rusher role; I suspect he was pegged for more snaps in base than nickel to start with.

The situation is compounded by the fact he's not playing his preferred position with the Packers.

Once might think career discouragement is making aches and pains seem a worse than they are.

Alternatively, one might conjecture that because of his 2014 salary of about $1.1 mil is guaranteed he'd just as soon collect his money (with the Packers or otherwise) and then move on to a more favorable situation; there should be no shortage of teams who'd give his a look-see as a 4-3 DE provided he is healthy.

Maybe his foot really is messed up and can't even jog through these no-contact OTA drills, however McCarthy's tone seems to suggest otherwise.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just proven me right that he was a Wasted draft pick like I've been saying since TT drafted him. Has never played a full season and can't crack the starting lineup. So many other ayers that could've helped the defense in this guys place. Dang shame

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If Perry is healthy and motivated and plays to his potential (at least to the flashes we've seen), he'll get plenty of snaps to prove his worth. Limiting Peppers' snaps and snaps in the base will give him that opportunity. What he does with it is a different question.

D

Deleted member 6794

If Perry is healthy and motivated and plays to his potential (at least to the flashes we've seen), he'll get plenty of snaps to prove his worth. Limiting Peppers' snaps and snaps in the base will give him that opportunity. What he does with it is a different question.

I think it´s pretty obvious McCarthy is frustrated with him and right now I would expect him to be behind Matthews, Peppers and Neal on the depth chart meaning he will have a hard time getting a lot of snaps even with the Packers planing to limit Peppers snaps.

H

HardRightEdge

I think it´s pretty obvious McCarthy is frustrated with him and right now I would expect him to be behind Matthews, Peppers and Neal on the depth chart meaning he will have a hard time getting a lot of snaps even with the Packers planing to limit Peppers snaps.

Yeah. Thompson's signing of Peppers with the intent he'd play the "elephant" OLB hybrid pass rusher position begs the following question:

Why did he do it if he thought Perry was a starting-quality pass rusher? The most plausible answer is he doesn't; signing Peppers has acknowledgement of a mistake written all over it. Thompson gets points for that.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This does not bode well for Perry. Not being able to practice in the offseason and missing OTAs sounds like this could very well be his last season with the Packers. What a shame. Sure hope Datone Jones turns out better than Perry does.

OP
OP
Beebe82

Beebe82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The signing of Peppers does point to some frustration with Perry's progress. I don't think Thompson has given up on him or he would have Jerron McMillianed him, but McCarthy and from all appearances, Winston Moss have written him off as a slacker. I liked / like Perry's potential but it seems the scheme / team / NFL in general just don't fit with what he wants to do.

OP
OP
Beebe82

Beebe82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This does not bode well for Perry. Not being able to practice in the offseason and missing OTAs sounds like this could very well be his last season with the Packers. What a shame. Sure hope Datone Jones turns out better than Perry does.

Jones appears to at least have some motivation behind his physical traits based on his words and comments from the coaching staff. Now McCarthy says everyone is an animal during OTAs and Mini Camp but I'm encouraged he will be able to contribute a lot this season.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the first things Lombardi did when he arrived in Green Bay was to make the training room "off limits" to players. It was one of the things that led to 5 Championships. I suspect Perry would be either playing or gone by now under him. But, I'll admit it was a different time....a better time for sure.

D

Deleted member 6794

First of all Datone Jones is a way better fit for the Packers defense and he seems to have the motivation to improve on his rookie season.

D

Deleted member 6794

The signing of Peppers does point to some frustration with Perry's progress. I don't think Thompson has given up on him or he would have Jerron McMillianed him, but McCarthy and from all appearances, Winston Moss have written him off as a slacker. I liked / like Perry's potential but it seems the scheme / team / NFL in general just don't fit with what he wants to do.

Perry´s situation is way different from McMillian. Releasing him would result in a higher amount of dead money ($3 million) counting against the cap than holding on to him in 2014, so don´t expect the Packers to release him. In addition while the team may be frustrated with him it would be difficult to find someone better than him at this stage of the offseason.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Perry has been healthy and on the field, he's looked like he has the potential to be a solid-to-good player (he really needs to work on the mental side of the game though). A broken wrist and broken foot aren't definitive signs of being injury-prone, sometimes things happen. Do I think he's the toughest player on the team? No. However, he's shown enough that it would be foolish to give up on him going into his third season. Let the guy play out this year, he only counts $2m against the cap; I can't think of another player with his potential that could be kept on the roster for less than that.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Perry has been healthy and on the field, he's looked like he has the potential to be a solid-to-good player (he really needs to work on the mental side of the game though). A broken wrist and broken foot aren't definitive signs of being injury-prone, sometimes things happen. Do I think he's the toughest player on the team? No. However, he's shown enough that it would be foolish to give up on him going into his third season. Let the guy play out this year, he only counts $2m against the cap; I can't think of another player with his potential that could be kept on the roster for less than that.

Oh I think he's shown the ability to be dominant, but at this point it's looking increasingly doubtful that he'll even be a solid contributor.

D

Deleted member 6794

When Perry has been healthy and on the field, he's looked like he has the potential to be a solid-to-good player (he really needs to work on the mental side of the game though).

I agree that he has shown flashes of brilliance, mostly when playing on the right side (where he won't get a lot of snaps when Matthews is healthy). Far too often he has been invisible though and mental errors like the one when he jumped offside on a Steelers FG attempt are unacceptable.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
First of all Datone Jones is a way better fit for the Packers defense and he seems to have the motivation to improve on his rookie season.
I think I read somewhere that Datone Jones stayed in GB all winter, just so he could continue with his off season training at the facility. I liked that he did this. Shows commitment.

H

HardRightEdge

I've seen Perry make one play that made me sit up...it was an edge rush, right side if I recall, showing burst, dip and lean...sack. The poor-to-outright-bad snaps are far more numerous. In particular he looks sub-optimal (to use a charitable expression) in space and in pursuit.

If his job was 4-3 DE where he just has to "go get the ball" as they say, I'd have more positive things to say about his prospects. 3-4 OLB is an entirely different job...more read and react, more edge contain, trickier pursuit angles, more concern for how the play is developing and what the guys around him are doing, not to mention just plain old covering guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

I think I read somewhere that Datone Jones stayed in GB all winter, just so he could continue with his off season training at the facility. I liked that he did this. Shows commitment.

I know Tretter stayed in Green Bay for the entire offseason, not sure Datone did that as well.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I think he's shown the ability to be dominant, but at this point it's looking increasingly doubtful that he'll even be a solid contributor.

Never claimed that I was optimistic on his future, I was just curious who else the Packers could get for as little as Perry is making that would have the potential that Perry does.

D

Deleted member 6794

Never claimed that I was optimistic on his future, I was just curious who else the Packers could get for as little as Perry is making that would have the potential that Perry does.

IMO a cap hit of more than $2 million isn´t on the cheap side for a player not producing constantly. He will be on the roster though because releasing him would result in dead money accounting for an even higher cap hit.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry is a good player when healthy and playing on the right side. They should switch Matthews back to the left and let Perry play on the right. If he can stay healthy and rush from the right side for a full season I see him getting double digit sacks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts