Nice Write-up By Gil Brandt of NFL.com

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All-Rookie Team for 2006

By Gil Brandt
NFL.com Senior Analyst

(Jan. 23, 2007) -- One of the most asked questions after the NFL draft is which teams did the best job drafting. My answer is always you have to wait and watch to see who plays and how well they do. This process usually takes several years.

In selecting our rookie team this year, we tried to evaluate what players did this season on the field. There were more rookies than ever that had a chance to start. Some teams like Green Bay and Houston needed rookies to start. But more and more teams are relying on rookies to step in and make an immediate impact. And more and more rookies coming into the NFL seem more prepared to play.

Here's a breakdown of how much each NFL team relied on rookie players:

CHART KEY:

Picks -- The number of players selected in the 2006 NFL Draft.
Roster -- The number of rookies who were regularly on the 53-man roster.
Starters -- The number of rookies who made at least eight starts in the regular season.
Starts -- The accumulated number of starts rookies made during the regular season.

2006 NFL ROOKIE BREAKDOWN
Team Picks Roster Starters Starts
ARI 7 7 3 31
After Matt Leinart got that first start, he started a total of 11 games, missing one due to injury. Tight end Leonard Pope and guard Deuce Lutui also started games
ATL 5 5 0 5
Cornerback Jimmy Williams' five starts were the only ones rookies had for the Falcons. Jerious Norwood never started, but he played well, rushing for 633 yards.
BAL 10 9 4* 38
*Two of the starters were in the kicking game, including rookie punter Sam Koch. Wide receiver Demetrius Williams did not start, but played well with 22 catches and 396 yards.
BUF 9 8 4 58
One player went on injured reserve. Seven of the eight rookies started at various times. Seventh-round pick Terrance Pennington started nine games at right tackle.
CAR 8 7 1 16
One player was placed on injured reserve. Second-round CB Richard Marshall played well. First-round RB DeAngelo Williams started only two games but was constantly in the lineup, gaining 814 total yards.
CHI 7 5 1 5
Return man extraordinaire Devin Hester set an NFL record with six touchdowns. Fifth-round DE Mark Anderson led the team with 12 sacks.
CIN 9 7 2 27
Two players were on injured reserve. Seventh-round FS Ethan Kilmer was an outstanding special-teams player.
CLE 7 4 2 33
Two players were on injured reserve. Three players on defense -- Kamerion Wimbley, D'Qwell Jackson and Leon Williams -- played very well in the last three games.
DAL 8 6 1 15
One rookie was on IR. Four undrafted free agents made this team.
DEN 7 5 0 11
Two rookies were on injured reserve. QB Jay Cutler and TE Tony Scheffler started the final five games.
DET 7 5 1 27
One rookie was on IR. Linebacker Ernie Sims and FS Daniel Bullocks played well.
GB 12 9 5 66
The Packers got some of the biggest rookie impact. Most of their rookie contributors were great draft picks, and some were undrafted.

HOU 7 6 4 62
One rookie was on IR. Houston's second-round draft pick (DeMeco Ryans), not its No. 1 overall pick (Mario Williams) was elected the NFL's Defensive Rookie of the Year.
IND 7 6 1 14
Joseph Addai become the first rookie to rush for 1,000 yards as a non-starter.
JAC 6 5 1 16
One rookie was on IR. Maurice Jones-Drew, a non-starter, scored 16 touchdowns.
KC 7 7 1 18
Tamba Hali played well (eight sacks). Bernard Pollard and Jarrad Page looked good.
MIA 6 3 0 0
Two draft picks were placed on injured reserve before the season started. First-round pick Jason Allen had injury problems. WR Derek Hagan played some.
MIN 6 5 0 16
First-round pick Chad Greenway suffered a season-ending injury in training camp. Second-round choice Cedric Griffin started seven games.
NE 10 7 0 11
Kicker Steve Gostkowski played well in place of Adam Vinatieri. Laurence Maroney, David Thomas and Ryan O'Callaghan played a lot when healthy.
NO 8 6 2 40
Marques Colston and Jahri Evans started. Roman Harper was starting until he got hurt. Reggie Bush does not qualify as a starter here, but was a great backup.
NYG 7 5 2 27
Barry Cofield and Mathias Kiwanuka started; Gerris Wilkinson will be good.
NYJ 10 8 3 47
One rookie was on IR; two started on the offensive line. RB Leon Washington started and played well. And the team had a winning season.
OAK 7 4 3 51
One rookie was on IR before the season started. Michael Huff and Thomas Howard started on one of the NFL's best defenses. Ivy League player Kevin Boothe started 14 games at guard.
PHI 8 6 0 8
Two draft picks went on injured reserve before the season started. Fifth-round pick Omar Gaither was a real find. Undrafted wide receiver Hank Baskett was acquired via a trade from Minnesota and played well.
PIT 9 4 0 10
One rookie was on IR. Anthony Smith and Santonio Holmes are going to be good players.
SD 8 4 1 16
Second-round pick Marcus McNeill (No. 50 overall) was selected to the Pro Bowl.
SEA 6 4 0 5
Seventh-round pick Ryan Plackemeier won the punting job. He had averages of 45.0 gross and 37.5 net.
SF 9 7 3 34
Two rookies were on IR. Tight end missed some games with an injury; he has a bright future.
STL 10 7 3 31
Seventh-round pick Mark Setterstrom started at left guard late in the season.
TB 10 6 3 38
Two rookies were placed on IR. The Buccaneers started two rookies on the offensive line and another at QB.
TEN 10 8 1 19
Vince Young is going to be very good. Undrafted free agent Ahmard Hall, a fullback, played well.
WAS 6 4 1 16
Kedric Golston, a sixth-rounder from Georgia, played well.

Here is my All-Rookie Team for the 2006 season. There shouldn't be any surprises here, as all these players did a great job playing right out of college.

OFFENSE
Vince Young · QB · Titans
Drafted: 1st round from Texas

NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year; six-game winning streak

Joseph Addai · RB · Colts
Drafted: 1st round from LSU

Rushed for 1,081 yards and seven TDs

Maurice Jones-Drew · RB · Jaguars
Drafted: 2nd round from UCLA

Led rookies with 16 touchdowns; rushing TD in eight games in a row

Ahmard Hall · FB · Titans
Drafted: Undrafted from Texas

Three of his seven carries went for first downs

Marques Colston · WR · Saints
Drafted: 7th round from Hofstra

70 catches, 8 TDs in 14 games

Greg Jennings · WR · Packers
Drafted: 2nd round from Western Michigan

45 catches, 3 TDs

Owen Daniels · TE · Texans
Drafted: 4th round from Wisconsin

34 catches, 21 first downs, 5 TDs

Marcus McNeill · OT · Chargers
Drafted: 2nd round from Auburn

Started all 16 games; headed to Pro Bowl

D'Brickashaw Ferguson · OT · Jets
Drafted: 1st round from Virginia

Started all 16 games

Jahri Evans · G · Saints
Drafted: 4th round from Bloomsburg

Started all 16 games

Mark Setterstrom · G · Rams
Drafted: 7th round from Minnesota

Started final six games

Stephen Gostkowski · K · Patriots
Drafted: 4th round from Memphis

Hit 20 of 26 FGs and finished with 103 points

Ryan Plackemeier · P · Seahawks
Drafted: 7th round from Wake Forest

Fourth in NFL with 45.0-yard gross average.

DEFENSE
Mark Anderson · DE · Bears
Drafted: 5th round from Alabama

Maybe the biggest surprise of the draft (12 sacks)

Tamba Hali · DE · Chiefs
Drafted: 1st round from Penn State

16 starts, eight sacks, five forced fumbles

Barry Cofield · DT · Giants
Drafted: 4th round from Northwestern

Started all 16 games; 44 tackles

Haloti Ngata · DT · Ravens
Drafted: 1st round from Oregon

Started all 16 games; 30 tackles; one INT

A.J. Hawk · LB · Packers
Drafted: 1st round from Ohio State

16 starts; 119 tackles; 3#&189; sacks; two fumble recoveries

Kamerion Wimbley · LB · Browns
Drafted: 1st round from Florida State

15 starts; 11 sacks; three fumble recoveries

DeMeco Ryans · LB · Texans
Drafted: 2nd round from Alabama

NFL defnsive rookie of the year

Tye Hill · CB · Rams
Drafted: 1st round from Clemson

Started last eight games; 50 tackles; 3 INTs

Richard Marshall · CB · Panthers
Drafted: 2nd round from Fresno State

Started last seven games; 82 tackles; 3 INTs; 1 TD

Michael Huff · S · Raiders
Drafted: 1st round from Texas

Started 16 games; 78 tackles

Donte Whitner · S · Bills
Drafted: 1st round from Ohio State

14 starts; 104 tackles

Devin Hester · KR · Bears
Drafted: 2nd round from Miami (Fla.)

NFL-record six returns for TDs

Ethan Kilmer · Coverage · Bengals
Drafted: 7th round from Penn State

19 tackles, plus 52-yard INT return for TD

Offensive Rookie of the year
QB Vince Young, Titans
Started 13 games and won eight. He ran for 552 yards (6.7 per carry) and seven touchdowns. Six of his 12 passing touchdowns came in the fourth quarter.

Defensive rookie of the year
DE Mark Anderson, Bears

A fifth-round draft pick (159th overall) was fourth in the NFL with 12 sacks; he was the only rookie with more than four.

Future player to watch
S Dawan Landry, Ravens
A fifth-round draft pick (No. 146 overall), he led all rookies with five interceptions. He returned them for 101 yards and one touchdown.

Many worthy plays have been left off the list. Some because of injury (Vernon Davis) and some because of quality players ahead of them at their positions (Maroney, Andrew Whitworth, Clint Ingram). Overall, this is an outstanding group of rookies with many Pro Bowl selections in the future.

Did you know
1. The Green Bay Packers had the most starts by rookie players (66), followed by Houston (62), Buffalo (58), Oakland (51) and the N.Y. Jets (47). In 2005, Dallas led the NFL with 47.
2. Buffalo started four rookies on defense when it beat Miami 21-0 in Week 14.

3. Buffalo, Houston and Green Bay each had five rookies with seven or more starts.
4. Green Bay had the most 2006 draftees in the NFL on its 53-man roster (nine).
5. Eleven times this season, a rookie rushed for 100 yards in a game. Denver's Mike Bell, who wasn't drafted, rushed for 136 against Indianapolis.

6. Three rookie punters (Sam Koch, Baltimore; Ryan Plackemeier, Seattle; Steven Weatherford, New Orleans) averaged 43 yards or better.

7. Reggie Bush set an NFL record for most receptions by a rookie running back (88).

8. Bush (33) and Marques Colston (28) ranked Nos. 1 and 2 in the NFC in third-down receptions.

9. Undrafted rookie Hank Baskett (Eagles) had the longest touchdown catch (89 yards) and highest average reception (21.1 yards) of any NFL player.

10. Ohio State rookies started 50 games this season -- the most of any college in the nation.

11. Rookie started 821 games in 2006, and 750 in 2005. Punters, kickers and return men are not counted in this total.

http://nfl.com/news/story/9949904

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still wondering how Jennings got all rookie over Holmes.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not really wondering. Holmes didn't come on until late in the season. Jennings came on right away. Had Jennings not gotten hurt his numbers would of been much better than Holmes rather than very similar.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:

I'm not really wondering. Holmes didn't come on until late in the season. Jennings came on right away. Had Jennings not gotten hurt his numbers would of been much better than Holmes rather than very similar.

Jennings regressed badly as the year went on as Holmes was getting better. Holmes nearly single handedly won the last game of the year and also was a very very good punt returner.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Cory said:

Jennings regressed badly as the year went on as Holmes was getting better. Holmes nearly single handedly won the last game of the year and also was a very very good punt returner.

Are you not going to take into terms of Jennings 1st half start compared to Holmes though? It's a 16 game season.

By no means am I saying Jennings should get it over Holmes. Frankly I think it's a flip of a coin but Jennings had as big of an impact when healthy.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) I hope the Packers do not draft that early again.

2) Trading Walker to obtain a high pick was part of the draft.

3) Don't speak badly of Jennings without realizing he sprained his ankle, came back too early, and re-injured it. It never got a chance to completely heal.

4) Moll, Jolly, and Tollefson were suprises as was undrafted Hunter. They could all be off the roster with the acquisition of better players as could Culver, Peprah(5th round Giants) and undrafted Bush. It is still early to say it was a great draft.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) I hope the Packers do not draft that early again.

2) Trading Walker to obtain a high pick was part of the draft.

3) Don't speak badly of Jennings without realizing he sprained his ankle, came back too early, and re-injured it. It never got a chance to completely heal.

4) Moll, Jolly, and Tollefson were suprises as was undrafted Hunter. They could all be off the roster with the acquisition of better players as could Culver, Peprah(5th round Giants) and undrafted Bush. It is still early to say it was a great draft.

It is not to early to grade the draft from the standpoint of the contribution made by rookies in their first year. Their contribution was significant, especially considering what was asked of many, and for the most part very positive.

Let's face it. Starting three rookies on the "0" line could have very well ended up a total and complete disaster. That didn't happen.

Others made a lesser impact which is the way you would like for it to be in the first place. When you ask rookies to make a huge impact you are asking for trouble. The less you have to ask and the more you can ease them in the better.

We only have the first year under the '06 draft classes belt but based on that there is a good bet years down the road it will be considered one of our best drafts ever.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think jennings would have been great had he not injuried his ankle we do have good talent that will play next year

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
porky88 said:
Cory said:

Are you not going to take into terms of Jennings 1st half start compared to Holmes though? It's a 16 game season.

By no means am I saying Jennings should get it over Holmes. Frankly I think it's a flip of a coin but Jennings had as big of an impact when healthy.

Frankly I'm tired of the ankle excuse. He injured it in week 7 and was virtually non existant for the rest of the season. Even Brett Favre said he couldn't understand why he was so ineffective as the season wore on. I'm not dissing Jennings as I think he can be a very good player, but I'm just saying I don't think he deserved it over Holmes. Holmes also won rookie of the week more than Jennings as well.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Cory said:
porky88 said:
Cory said:

Frankly I'm tired of the ankle excuse. He injured it in week 7 and was virtually non existant for the rest of the season. Even Brett Favre said he couldn't understand why he was so ineffective as the season wore on. I'm not dissing Jennings as I think he can be a very good player, but I'm just saying I don't think he deserved it over Holmes. Holmes also won rookie of the week more than Jennings as well.

An Ankle injury is no easy injury to recover from especially a receiver. If someone is going to make an excuse for him (which I'm not doing) at least use a valid one and this certainly is. I don't think it's a stretch at all to put Jennings over Holmes considering from what I've read so far, Jennings seems to be the consenus #2 rookie receiver right now on most all rookie teams.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
An Ankle injury is no easy injury to recover from especially a receiver. If someone is going to make an excuse for him (which I'm not doing) at least use a valid one and this certainly is. I don't think it's a stretch at all to put Jennings over Holmes considering from what I've read so far, Jennings seems to be the consenus #2 rookie receiver right now on most all rookie teams.

I understand that first hand. When I played I injured my ankle pretty badly in practice. Had to have it double tapped before each game and it hindered my movement(I was an OT and DE and no it wasnt in the pros or college). Still 9 weeks? He was non-existant for the last 9 weeks of the season. I understand that alot of people feel he deserved it and can understand the argument, but IMO Holmes was much better as the season wore on which to me is more important.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts